Favourite Fanfic Gathering

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Favourite Fanfic Gathering

Postby Interrobang Pie » 11 Jul 2011 10:31

For those of you that don't read fanfics and have somehow stumbled here, I thought the same thing before I read a few. The first one I read was The Last Sonic Rainboom and that got me hooked, so I'd recommend that one as a starting point.

Anyway, do you read fanfics? Do you like the fanfics you read? If so, post a link to them here! Personally I like to keep tags on the fanfics I enjoyed (that being said I have not gone and reread any of them), and it also gives you a chance to see what other people liked - perhaps it is similar to your tastes, perhaps it is one you've never read!!!! WHO KNOWS

There will most likely be some clashes as I imagine we are all getting these from the same source (EqD). Not sure how many of you browse ponychan or anything else though, so there might not be as many as I anticipated.

I rarely have patience for some of the longer, multi-part 'fics. I don't like to admit it, but I read some of the shipping ones too (the guilty pleasure of my guilty pleasure). Anyway here is my list:

With a Spark - good amounts of Rainbow Dash.
The Luxury Lotus Spa Follies - a really really good read despite having Trixie in it. It's borderline clop though (all of Butterscotch's stuff is), so watch out.
A Walk in the Sun - short but very moving. Good read if you all you have is 5 minutes.
Simply Rarity - not as sad as the tag might imply but the style of writing is really interesting.
Tales - my absolute favourite 'fic. It's so well written. Possible spoilers, highlight: goddamn, the shit that happens to Rainbow is so heart-wrenching.
Mommy Nearest - definitely not bad, although the second part didn't nearly live up to the first.
With a Heavy Heart - rather long, but good for its length I guess.
Spark - the only crazed Celestia 'fic I've read. Pretty long but not bad.
Secret Tub Fun - Twilight's and Rarity's episodes were my favourites, but Pinkie and Spike were good too.
Friendship is Tragic - this one's quite long and moving. Still a great though.
The Last Sonic Rainboom - this is another one of my absolute favourites. More highlighting: the best pony is Rainbow Dash yet all of my favourite 'fics feature her heart-wrenching DEATH.
Calling the Shots - a really funny, great read. Gives you a break from reading all the shipping/sad stuff as above.
The Melting Pot - a non-mane cast 'fic. Certainly not a bad read. The ending was great and actually very unexpected.
Campfire Stories - another really great read. It's as funny as it is cute.
Five's Company - another Rainbow shipping. This one's really quite strange though, you'll see why if when you read it.
Party of Two - another borderline clop 'fic. (What I've linked to here is the clop-free version - I did read the clop-heavy version (and am feeling a little guilty for it, ahahah))
Macintosh - long but gooooood.
Prince Charming - grimdark and really quite creepy, but also a very good read. Don't read it late at night.

Anyway, post your faves, guise! (Sorry if I stole yours, I did post a lot, ahahahah).
Last edited by Interrobang Pie on 24 Jul 2011 05:30, edited 2 times in total.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Re: Favourite Fanfic Gathering

Postby aap998 » 11 Jul 2011 10:38

never read a fanfic before, thanks for collecting all these if i decide read one ;)
aap998

Postby DerpyGrooves » 11 Jul 2011 10:42

Ponies Discover /CO/ Hilarious and episodic story. The first fanfic I read, and IMHO, one of the most in-character ever.

It's a Dangerous Business, Going Out Your Door Twilight is stricken by a magical ailment and it takes her friends journeying far and wide to save her. STUNNING high fantasy/adventure piece. Long, but VERY WORTH IT.

There's a million others, but those are two that pop right to mind. The MLP fan-fiction scene is really, truly amazing!
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Postby Pinkie Cake » 11 Jul 2011 11:57

I started reading fic only last week and been reading only one. Fallout: Equestria. And it's so awesome!
Maybe because I like ponies and fallout. As I heard it's one of the most grim-dark fic. And it's a must read for fallout fans!
Pinkie Cake

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 11 Jul 2011 19:05

Pinkie Cake wrote:Fallout: Equestria

YES! This is an incredibly well written story, everyone must read!

Also, try The Night That Never Ended, it hasn't updated in ages, but it's so good, I'm eagerly waiting the next chapter!
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Versilaryan » 12 Jul 2011 00:17

I get my weekly pony fix by re-watching episodes and reading fanfic. The latter has taken up soooo much of my time... ._.

I Ain't Got No Ack-Cent! - Has a lot of fun with Applejack and Rarity's relationship. Overall, really well-written and entertaining.
Junior Speedsters Forever - I cried so hard at the end. The beginning isn't the most well-written, even if it is really cute, but it gets exponentially better as you go on.
Memories of Those Friends Who've Gone Before Us - Really good "episode fic" -- it feels like you're watching an actual episode as you're reading it.
Twilight Sky Over Canterlot - The beginning is a bit slow and a little overly verbose, but it really picks up. Beautiful, beautiful ending. Has some Twixie and a little bit of Twi/Luna.
Vengeance and Fashion - The premise is hysterical, and the comedic execution is fantastic. I felt that the ending was a little bit of a letdown, though.
Bubbles - A fairly infamous sadfic about how Derpy got her cutie mark.
The Ballad of Twilight Sparkle - Mostly Twixie, but has AppleDash, too. Easily one of the funniest fanfics I've ever read.
Moonbeam - Excellent, excellent use of OCs. This was the fic that forever cemented my place as a Luna fanboy.
Half the Day is Night - I'm not kidding when I say this is one of the best novel-length stories I've ever read. The plot is amazing, the characters are amazing... It's a /really/ well-written story.
Paradise - My personal favorite Celestia/Luna origin story, even though it's not finished. Really interesting concepts and the action sequences are fast-paced and well-done.
Progress - If you haven't heard of this story, I don't know where you've been. It's wildly popular, and for good reason.
Ponies Play D&D - The characterizations are done really well, and if you've played Dungeons and Dragons before, it's interesting to see what characters the ponies would play. The sequel isn't too great, though, and only really worth it for the last chapter (meaning you have to trod through all the other chapters first).
Versilaryan

Postby Aussie » 13 Jul 2011 10:29

Pony fanfics all day everyday, mainly since it makes up for the lack of pony episodes. :D I'll just link all my favorites that I can remember the name of...

Slender Mane I have a guilty pleasure for psychological horror stuff, hallucinations and schizophrenia and all that. Even if you don't know who Slender Man is, you're still gonna find this fucking terrifying.

Silent Ponyville Gotta link this too. Silent Hill is one of my favorite series, even though I'm too much of a coward to play them.

Pony Rain Yet another grimdark (I'll stop linking these now...).

Feedback/Sing The Night's Song My favorite shipping fic, and I don't even know who Ziggy Stardust is!

Going Home This just started a few days ago, it's already one of my favorites. It almost made me cry, too, which never happens.

The Vinyl Scratch Tapes Just hilarious, and Vinyl's a badass in this.

Simply Rarity I also have a thing for these journal-like fics a lot of people do, and this is one of the best examples of them.

And last but not least, since I can't think of any other fanfics. :D

The Sun Is Tired Another grimdark, but it's much more sad than grimdark, except in that....one....chapter....*shudder*
Aussie

Postby Aussie » 23 Jul 2011 22:47

Wow, I just realized I killed this thread with my loads of grimdark and sad fics. Come on guys, keep this thread going. :(
Aussie

Postby FoozogzPepperBrony » 24 Jul 2011 00:04

Aussie wrote:Wow, I just realized I killed this thread with my loads of grimdark and sad fics. Come on guys, keep this thread going. :(

I love grimdark horror/creepypastas. Too bad I can't find any to add here and totally kill it even more. Slendermane was a good one.
DAW: Ableton
HELLO, OLD FRIENDS~
FoozogzPepperBrony

Postby Stars In Autumn » 24 Jul 2011 01:40

The Sound of Sunlight - Best story I've read about Octavia. I've thought about writing a song about it. Now that we know what Sci's next challenge is, I might do that.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby Overkillius » 30 Jul 2011 20:03

Past Sins

I have been reading this fic, and it has made me cry for the first time in... I don't even know. when I was 12. With the rise of this fic's fanbase, there also came in turn the haters. Which is odd because that is the exact same thing that happened with ponies in the first place.

Somepony already mentioned Progress. (which I stopped reading after a certain point because it became boring. otherwise it is GREAT)

I honestly don't read many fics though. I might check some of these out later, because the ones I come across never usually hold my attention.
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius wrote:The bad thing about music... is that it is subjective.
The good thing about music... is that it is subjective!
Overkillius

Primary: Reaper, Famitracker
Cutie Mark: #9 Chords

Postby Versilaryan » 30 Jul 2011 22:28

Singing to the Moon - It's such a cute story, and really heartwarming. It's really good, to the point where I had a piece all planned out for the Toast Beard compo based on Slendermane, and then this story made me pull a full 180 and write one based on this.
Versilaryan

Postby zorg » 31 Jul 2011 04:23

Vinyl Scratch tapes was already posted before by aussie.

Lyra's melody of home - liked it so much i made a 22 minute long, 6 act orchestral cover album for it :3

How Lyra met Bon-bon - It's nice.

Recursion - Not counting this fic's version of how derpy got a bit... ditzy, i liked it very much :3

CUPCAKES (strictly the original version since v2 made more than grammatical fixes......) - Why? Because i liked it. (also i never read any alt endings either, maybe i should do it now...)

Rocket to Insanity - because it's a sequel kinda thing.

Bittersweet - SO SAD ;_;

A terrible secret - Rainbow Dash has one, i liked this (now my headcanon)

Skittles - RD/PP/AJ shipping... but not too much, most of the time, the focus is on the random comedy :3 Also full of delicious references.

M - Jack and the Ponies No comment needed here i think.

Made in Neighpon - Apart from having oc replicas of the mane 6, it's a pretty sweet adventurous story.

AND NOW, MAY I PRESENT MY FAVOURITE: (i bet you thought cupcakes was my favourite)

The rage of two sisters - humans bioengineer weapons of mass destruction, for some reason they get sentience and knowledge, and boom, that's how chocapic is made. (NOT spoiling this)
Last edited by zorg on 11 Aug 2011 08:41, edited 1 time in total.
^feel free to disregard | genres... what are those? | :3
[collabgeddon] - too much time passed for this
Do feel free to keep in touch through discord: #zorg "eight" "rod" "inverted-E" "four"
zorg

Primary: ILyEAN (v0.0.0.0) [Designing Phase]
Cutie Mark: Usually Invisible

Postby Lethaargic » 07 Aug 2011 19:29

Rarely will I read a Fan Fic, there's just too damn many X_X

Bittersweet It was heartbreaking to see how much everypony loved Pinkie Pie. I cried - and I liked it...there

Sunset Epic
art is the quintessential embodiment of telepathy, it is how we show each other the inside of our minds

Previously Spacepsy

SoundCloud
Lethaargic

Postby ponyoxy » 08 Aug 2011 04:14

I've started reading fanfics about two weeks ago and here are the ones I really liked:

Silent Ponyville: Survivol-horror is one of my favourite game types, so it was impossible I couldn't like a Silent Hill crossover. I also liked the few Cupcakes tributes inside of it.

The Elements of Gaming: I laughed so hard every time Pinkie Pie wanted to play :lol:. It was funny to see the ponies know about the fanfic Cupcakes, especially when Pinkie Pie wants to scare Rainbow dash.

The Cutie Mark Clash: Another crossover I really liked. I smiled when I saw it included the Meme "Guile's theme goes with everything!".

Luna Versus _____: Poor Luna, all she wants is getting with the times, but everything she tries turns into a disaster for her :lol: .
Gentlecolts? It seems I am not the only brony here.
ponyoxy

Return to Off-Topic Discussion