The hugging/venting thread

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: The hugging/venting thread

Postby MiuMiuChuu » 12 Feb 2012 03:17

I think I kinda need to vent too *take deep breath*

I'm on my internship, this is my first time working in my life, and I now know why having job can make you dull as a donkey and uninspired. I'm standing for 8 hours straight plus plus (walking to work and home and sometimes straight to school) and the only time I can even actually hear myself talking is on the bus. 8 hours I basically do NOTHING except tending and waiting for visitors and the workers there are somewhat... I don't know. Well, all I can say is I'm so uninspired and after work, all I'm allowed to think of is school, school, and school. I only have one day off and I use that to catch my sleep.
Yes, I haven't been singing, making music, properly make an artwork. My YouTube and Tumblr is as dry as the desert. I could handle this for two to three weeks but I'm getting kinda stir-crazy the way Pinkie isn't allowed to have a party. I'm purposely on hiatus because I purely don't have the time AND this kinda upsets me.
I still can't let go past matters about this certain thing. It happened long ago but the scar's still there. Short to say a best friend turned grudged enemy and recent happenings took me back to this person accidentally in a very wrong time. Well yeah, I'm already emotionally tired with my work and school and this happened. Then Whitney Houston passed away. Okay, this part sounds silly but I guess it kinda affect in someway or another.
All I need now is to express myself about this because the only way I can fix myself when I'm emo, is to write a song and I don't have time and my keyboard's broken. I just need time to express myself, being artsy the way I always am. And real life trying to wash that creativity in you makes you UGH. I WANNA SING, WRITE SONGS, AND DRAW. CAN I JUST DO THAT FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE? This was always my problem anyway. I always wanna be an artist but circumstances never allows me. Pfft.

Hey, but that aside guys;

MIU USES G1 MAGIC AND HUGS EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD

WARNING: While the magic can give you a warm and fuzzy feeling, as well craving for sparkles and rainbows, it could give you severe diabetes as side effect.
MiuMiuChuu

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Weird kind

Postby Pickslide1992 » 12 Feb 2012 10:22

Hugs for everypony in light of Hearts and Hooves day!
Hey guys, new YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/PowerChordEPS

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Styles: Rock, metal, pop, new wave
Pickslide1992

Postby TheSunAndTheRainfall » 12 Feb 2012 12:46

Oh Miu. I feel you there sister. :c *hug*
TheSunAndTheRainfall

Postby SwissArmyCheese » 12 Feb 2012 20:14

MiuMiuChuu- I've been there before. Sucks. A lot. Also HUGS (I said I was going to come back, Here I am!).

I'd say, Make some time purely for yourself, and defended it viciously. I know you said you hardly have time for literally anything else, But maybe on your way to wherever you go for that day you hum a new song or just think about pony.

If you don't already, I would suggest trying meditation. It's boring at first, but you definitely can notice a difference. It's not for everyone, But if you don't I would at least try.
Image I love to talk, Chat me up on the Skypes , IRC, Or just send me a PM! (Yes you!)

/r/MLPtunes
SwissArmyCheese

Postby Freewave » 13 Feb 2012 09:44

Alright I'm tired of beating myself up about mastering, I did my best. Arggh. I know I post a lot here (some might say too much) but I do try to help other ponies out and try and be positive person. I've been unusually hard on myself this week (loads of self-doubt) so I just hope I'm not coming off as a douche on MLR. Anyway, I could use a virtual hug as its been a hard week if anyone has any. :(

MIU did you get your keyboard up and running? I know that broke down a few weeks ago, any progress getting it fixed or replaced?
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby TheSunAndTheRainfall » 13 Feb 2012 16:12

DJ Pon-3 wrote:Alright I'm tired of beating myself up about mastering, I did my best. Arggh. I know I post a lot here (some might say too much) but I do try to help other ponies out and try and be positive person. I've been unusually hard on myself this week (loads of self-doubt) so I just hope I'm not coming off as a douche on MLR. Anyway, I could use a virtual hug as its been a hard week if anyone has any. :(

You can have as many as you want. c: I think most of us go through that more often than we'd like to admit, the problem is most of the time we only focus on what we think we're still doing wrong and don't realize how far we've come in spite of everything. I always seem to gravitate back to the Ira Glass quote, but it's just so true; your ears tell you there's something off in the things you make, and you just can't seem to get it to sound the way you want it to, but just by knowing there still are things to be improved upon is already a big step in the right direction. And it's only after trying again and again that you'll be able to make something your ears will say is good enough. So don't be hard on yourself; nobody expects you to be perfect, so you shouldn't either. c:

And what are you talking about? You're one of the most helpful and supportive people I've seen on this site. As far as I've seen, you're only coming across as such. You deserve all the hugs. All of them.
TheSunAndTheRainfall

Postby Pickslide1992 » 13 Feb 2012 16:42

DJ, what are you talking about, dude? You are a great guy! We all have our bad weeks; it's just human nature. I understand completely. (Hug)
Hey guys, new YouTube!

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Pickslide1992

Postby SwissArmyCheese » 13 Feb 2012 18:16

DJ Pon-3 wrote:I could use a virtual hug as its been a hard week if anyone has any. :(

Hugs right back at ya man. :D It's only right since you helped me out!
Image I love to talk, Chat me up on the Skypes , IRC, Or just send me a PM! (Yes you!)

/r/MLPtunes
SwissArmyCheese

Postby Stars In Autumn » 14 Feb 2012 00:30

MiuMiuChuu wrote:I think I kinda need to vent too *take deep breath*

I'm on my internship, this is my first time working in my life, and I now know why having job can make you dull as a donkey and uninspired. I'm standing for 8 hours straight plus plus (walking to work and home and sometimes straight to school) and the only time I can even actually hear myself talking is on the bus. 8 hours I basically do NOTHING except tending and waiting for visitors and the workers there are somewhat... I don't know. Well, all I can say is I'm so uninspired and after work, all I'm allowed to think of is school, school, and school. I only have one day off and I use that to catch my sleep.
Yes, I haven't been singing, making music, properly make an artwork. My YouTube and Tumblr is as dry as the desert. I could handle this for two to three weeks but I'm getting kinda stir-crazy the way Pinkie isn't allowed to have a party. I'm purposely on hiatus because I purely don't have the time AND this kinda upsets me.
I still can't let go past matters about this certain thing. It happened long ago but the scar's still there. Short to say a best friend turned grudged enemy and recent happenings took me back to this person accidentally in a very wrong time. Well yeah, I'm already emotionally tired with my work and school and this happened. Then Whitney Houston passed away. Okay, this part sounds silly but I guess it kinda affect in someway or another.
All I need now is to express myself about this because the only way I can fix myself when I'm emo, is to write a song and I don't have time and my keyboard's broken. I just need time to express myself, being artsy the way I always am. And real life trying to wash that creativity in you makes you UGH. I WANNA SING, WRITE SONGS, AND DRAW. CAN I JUST DO THAT FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE? This was always my problem anyway. I always wanna be an artist but circumstances never allows me. Pfft.

Hey, but that aside guys;

MIU USES G1 MAGIC AND HUGS EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD

WARNING: While the magic can give you a warm and fuzzy feeling, as well craving for sparkles and rainbows, it could give you severe diabetes as side effect.

I can relate totally. I work 10+ hours a day at a software engineering company and come home exhausted. It's hard to find time to spend on what you love creatively when you must spend all of it on something else.

DJ Pon-3 wrote:Alright I'm tired of beating myself up about mastering, I did my best. Arggh. I know I post a lot here (some might say too much) but I do try to help other ponies out and try and be positive person. I've been unusually hard on myself this week (loads of self-doubt) so I just hope I'm not coming off as a douche on MLR. Anyway, I could use a virtual hug as its been a hard week if anyone has any. :(

MIU did you get your keyboard up and running? I know that broke down a few weeks ago, any progress getting it fixed or replaced?

Don't beat yourself up too hard, mastering is not easy at all. It's a profession that people go to college for. You won't learn it overnight, or in a week, or in a year. I'm just learning too. I've read books and stuff and it still sounds nothing like how the pros do it. It just takes practice. Keep going!

/brohugs the both of you.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby Freewave » 14 Feb 2012 09:47

aw thanks guys i really appreciate the replies, you guys are the best. :D

i feel quite a bit better and this helps a lot.
Freewave

Postby Pickslide1992 » 14 Feb 2012 13:45

I was about to say, Pon-3, you're one of my favorite members here. You've helped me in a few tough spots and it's about time I did the same for you.

For the mastering thing, it is a hard mistress to, well, master. :3 That's one problem I have sometimes when I'm finalizing a song.
Hey guys, new YouTube!

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Pickslide1992

Postby Freewave » 16 Feb 2012 13:59

yeah i think i'm beginning to get some of the concepts and techniques of basic stuff although i need to work on developing advanced stuff like sidchaining, gating, and triggers. only way is up i guess.
Freewave

Postby Pickslide1992 » 16 Feb 2012 17:25

It's more of balancing out the drums (Snares, hi-hats, crashes, toms, basses) and the bass sounds.
Hey guys, new YouTube!

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Pickslide1992

Postby LeafRunner » 16 Feb 2012 21:26

Seems like a lot of people are having similar issues to me right now with not having enough hours in the day. I'm really frustrated right now that I haven't been able to be active over here, finish my song (that's been sitting near completion for about 3 weeks now), write more, and work on various other things such as art. Monday through Thursday day I work 10 hours with a 30 min drive one way to work. In the evenings and all day Friday, Saturday, and half of Sunday I spend all my time animating for school (I'm attending Animation Mentor online character animation school), and trying to keep up with that crowd, since that's what I want to do for a career. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE animation (hell, that's the main reason I got into MLP in the first place), but mixed in with the job, which is general 3D artist stuff that this particular project I find extremely boring, I don't have much free time to keep my inspiration fresh. What frustrates me the most is, I hadn't played music in several years, and then right when I get totally back into it, my free time is ripped away. I play music for me, but it makes me feel like I'm letting down people when I haven't put out anything new in so long, or comment and be active over here. You guys are awesome, and I wish I had the time to get to know you all better, because inspiration feeds inspiration.

I've been at school nonstop for 9 months now, and I'm thinking of taking the next term off to catch up with myself. My contract at my job will be up by that point anyway, so I'll once again have the whole week to devote to school. Luckily, this contract pays extremely well and I've been saving, so I won't be tight for money. I may even be able to pick up some new music equipment too. I'd really love to be able to take that time breathe, pump out some music, and work on my side art/animation more. So many creative things I want to do, with no time to do it, and that frustrates me to no end.

So yeah, sorry I'm not around so much and I wish I could be, you guys are the best.
LeafRunner

Postby Freewave » 17 Feb 2012 09:41

Nice to meet you LeafRunner. that's one hell of a busy schedule and sounds a lot more productive then someone like myself who just pours himself into his music in his free time. In many ways that's simply because I have that time (good job but boring and with plenty of surfing time-i'm working right now actually) and that's what overall makes me happy. I'd love to be doing that as part of a creative career or a way up but while I don't have upward mobility I at least have a creative outlet.

Yeah i haven't been involved in pony music during the summer and i'm not sure if this place will explode with output when school is out (likely) or if not having episodes as inspiration will be a detractor. Either way I know its tough to juggle music and life (as said I don't have school but have a full time job and kids). Best of luck to you LR and you can only do what you HAVE the time to do.
Freewave

Postby DrSorkenstein » 17 Feb 2012 15:03

LeafRunner, getting some time to yourself might be what you need if you're feeling a bit tense. Don't try to push yourself to juggle more than you have time for. Just remember that it's never easy to balance music, work, life etc. (what DJ-Pon3 said). You'll always have to split your time. Cheer up though, best wishes!
DrSorkenstein

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Triple_B » 17 Feb 2012 21:25

LeafRunner wrote:Seems like a lot of people are having similar issues to me right now with not having enough hours in the day. I'm really frustrated right now that I haven't been able to be active over here, finish my song (that's been sitting near completion for about 3 weeks now), write more, and work on various other things such as art. Monday through Thursday day I work 10 hours with a 30 min drive one way to work. In the evenings and all day Friday, Saturday, and half of Sunday I spend all my time animating for school (I'm attending Animation Mentor online character animation school), and trying to keep up with that crowd, since that's what I want to do for a career. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE animation (hell, that's the main reason I got into MLP in the first place), but mixed in with the job, which is general 3D artist stuff that this particular project I find extremely boring, I don't have much free time to keep my inspiration fresh. What frustrates me the most is, I hadn't played music in several years, and then right when I get totally back into it, my free time is ripped away. I play music for me, but it makes me feel like I'm letting down people when I haven't put out anything new in so long, or comment and be active over here. You guys are awesome, and I wish I had the time to get to know you all better, because inspiration feeds inspiration.

I've been at school nonstop for 9 months now, and I'm thinking of taking the next term off to catch up with myself. My contract at my job will be up by that point anyway, so I'll once again have the whole week to devote to school. Luckily, this contract pays extremely well and I've been saving, so I won't be tight for money. I may even be able to pick up some new music equipment too. I'd really love to be able to take that time breathe, pump out some music, and work on my side art/animation more. So many creative things I want to do, with no time to do it, and that frustrates me to no end.

So yeah, sorry I'm not around so much and I wish I could be, you guys are the best.

Oh god these feels I know them; I have a fanfiction that I work on with 3 editors and that a friend paid $60 for a commission for cover art, that I haven't touched in... Well, that I haven't written more than a couple words on, in over a month. I've been immensely stressed out with this fucking gig that is driving me up the wall that I will probably blow because I suck at everything there is to suck at musically, and I'm trying to work on all these fucking remixes and sitting here bitching about having no time and bitching about having no original music because all this other crap is so fucking time consuming. Not to fucking mention schoolwork and making time for my mother to scream at me on a regular fucking basis.

I don't even have any advice for this; all I can say is I know how you feel man...
10/15/2014 - I finally return to ponies? Maybe.

Actually it was more like 10/12/2015

My current SoundCloud, pony & non-pony things found here.

I have 4 EP's under this alias!

Somepony talk to me, I are the lonelies. :c
Triple_B

Primary: Ableton Live Suite 8.2
Cutie Mark: EDM History!

Postby Freewave » 18 Feb 2012 10:56

jeez Triple. sounds like you've got quite work queue up. if the pressure gets to great just juggle from one thing to the next until you start finishing them. if something isn't clicking try the next thing on your list but panicking IS time consuming and unhelpful so shrug that off.

For dj'ing I will recommend to plan out your set in advance. Know where your mix in and mix out points are, what your bpm's are, if you have the capability (not sure what gear you are using) save your queue points as that's possible these days. Back in the day if I had a massive unfriendly 12" mix I would take out some of the mix in and mix out points, burn to cdr, and then I'd have a 32 count lead in and out on every track on that cd for easy mixing. It's really hard to mix 2 tracks that you don't know in their in entirety so practice, avoid forcing tracks that don't fit well or that you don't know well; but plan in advance, come prepped (write everything down in a notebook if you have to), and then just focus on that night of playing what you've done in your bedroom a couple times already before. Don't be flashy if you aren't feeling it or are getting to know the club equiptment.

Remember too that non-dj's (people in clubs) rarely notice the things that other dj's do. one mess up every 12 tracks or so won't be that bad unless they're absolute trainwrecks. Most won't even notice any missteps. If you've already got good track selections you are HALF the way there. And just remember to have fun with this, no matter what you do.
Freewave

Postby LeafRunner » 19 Feb 2012 23:03

Thanks guys :) I know that putting music on the backburner kinda sucks since it's something I really want to do as well right now, but it's just what I have to do unfortunately. On the upside, I had a blast animating this weekend, so there's that. Now that I've finished up one shot and am starting the next and have four weeks to finish it, maybe I can get some downtime outside of work. After I've rested up enough, I can get back to my music. And hey, as long as you're enjoying what you're spending your time doing, no sense in feeling that it's a bad thing you haven't been able to work on other projects. I guess I'm just too creative for my own good, with not enough time to get all my ideas out.

Just going to take it easy this week, and rest up. Then we'll try to get back to making awesome music. Music should be fun, not something I feel I HAVE to do. I just want to give back to this great community that lit my fire again, so to speak.

Can't say anything for DJ'in, Triple, because I've never done it myself, but I've played music for live audiences plenty of times. All I can say is, if you're having fun, general rule is the audience will pick up on that vibe too.
LeafRunner

Postby TheSunAndTheRainfall » 19 Feb 2012 23:17

Sorry I haven't taken the time to reply to each individual new post; I've been a little scatterbrained these past few days and I can't focus well enough formulate a half decent reply, but I've read all your post, and I just wanna send LeafRunner and Triple_B really big hugs. Hang in there, y'all.
TheSunAndTheRainfall

Postby LeafRunner » 21 Feb 2012 22:56

So far I'm feeling much better this week (even if none of it is music). I apparently did a fantastic job on my animation for school this week, because it got featured on the weekly school news with Bobby Beck (the founder of the school and an animator that worked at Pixar for a long time) basically saying it was awesome and for people to check it out. If that's not a great way to start your week, I don't know what is.

Thanks for the support and hugs, everypony. I'm in good spirits for now and when I do get some time I'll finally get back to music and browsing the forums here :)
LeafRunner

Postby Pickslide1992 » 22 Feb 2012 10:11

Hey guys, lately I've been feeling overwhelmed. It's a combination of school, home life, and internet goings on. It's like I can't relax anymore for fear I'm slacking off. Some of the things I'm learning is difficult (Mainly algebra) and is making my head explode, I feel like too much is being asked of me to where I'll forget to do something (I already forgot to do one assignment).

What should I do? I feel trapped, and when I try to escape, more crap will get piled on me to where I can't. I fear I'm going mad.
Hey guys, new YouTube!

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Pickslide1992

Postby Freewave » 22 Feb 2012 13:07

you definitely need more ponies.

honestly its hard to juggle everything when you have that much going on. i think that's why a lot of people don't graduate is that people get burned out and say f*ck it. best bet is to focus primarily on the stuff you NEED to get done, put the time consuming non critical stuff to the side, and leave little rewards (fun stuff) for when you get things done. just hang in there and realize that there IS limited time to do everything and be content with your choices.

hug
Freewave

Postby TheSunAndTheRainfall » 22 Feb 2012 17:53

Pickslide1992 wrote:Hey guys, lately I've been feeling overwhelmed. It's a combination of school, home life, and internet goings on. It's like I can't relax anymore for fear I'm slacking off. Some of the things I'm learning is difficult (Mainly algebra) and is making my head explode, I feel like too much is being asked of me to where I'll forget to do something (I already forgot to do one assignment).

What should I do? I feel trapped, and when I try to escape, more crap will get piled on me to where I can't. I fear I'm going mad.

I feel you man, I feel like that more often than I'd like to admit. I don't know what's going on in your home life to advise you on that, but in regards to school and internet, the internet can always wait. It sucks, but most of the time you're gonna have to set that aside and be strict in order to manage your time efficiently. Right now I'm almost on the verge of abandoning my online life because I find that I can't perform well in school nor have enough time for music if I try to carry on with my normal internet shenanigans. Figure out where your priorities lie, and organize your time according to that, but more importantly, stick to it.

Also, I don't know if this counts for anything, but if you'd like I could try to help you with any problems you might have with algebra, or math in general. I'm not a genius, but I at least made it to my fourth semester of telecommunications and electronics engineering in college, so I guess must have done something right along the way. :B So don't hesitate to PM me if you need anything, alright?

You can pull through, man. You're not going to enjoy it, but you'll feel more free once you do. c:
TheSunAndTheRainfall

Postby Pickslide1992 » 22 Feb 2012 18:37

I'd like that. :) Algebra is my absolute worst subject.
Hey guys, new YouTube!

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Pickslide1992

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion