The hugging/venting thread

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: The hugging/venting thread

Postby ClaviSound » 05 Dec 2013 00:50

I really shouldn't be posting this here since it'll only exacerbate the problem, but here we go.

When I was young and dumb in elementary school, I'd sometimes hurt myself by slamming my head into the closet door or wall out of feelings of rage and hopelessness due to fellow students (placed in gifted in elementary school, I was often seen as a freak or outsider, got bullied/ostracized sometimes, you know how it goes). Once I even did it against the gymnasium's toilet stall door. I'm impressed I didn't give myself a concussion with all that, but that's unimportant. Which is exactly the problem: it's such a small, distant part of my life now, but whenever I bring it up as a relevant example of something (e.g. someone wonders why in a particular story a character says "I usually went hungry when I was a kid" so casually, and I explain that it's because they were young and so it's no longer as important after they've grown up), I always wind up feeling like a filthy attention whore because people feel sorry for me, even though I'm not personally fazed with bringing it up. And every time I try to rephrase it in a way that won't seem like I'm talking about it for attention, that's what winds up happening anyway and I just wind up embarrassing myself trying to put it in a way that doesn't come off as self-absorbed.

Reason why I say posting it here will only exacerbate the problem is because I feel that people are just going to feel like I'm trying to milk even more attention from it by putting it in yet another place to see, but I seriously would like advice on maybe how to phrase it so that it doesn't seem like I'm attention-whoring or coming off like "I inflicted self-harm a few times when I was ten years old and you should feel sorry for me." I don't mind talking about the events themselves, but I always wind up feeling like a worthless piece of shit for bringing it up.

And compared to other, more serious physical and mental problems that children can inflict on others in school (and life), I feel even more pathetic whenever someone acts like it was a scarring event that traumatized me or something, or I imply in any way that it was. I get this urge to tell them off for thinking so and saying that my long-done-and-over problems ain't shit compared to some people, and that they should worry about helping them, not feeling bad for me.

And then I feel even more horrible for ever feeling anything about something so relatively petty that happened to me in the first place.

ClaviSound wrote:(e.g. someone wonders why in a particular story a character says "I usually went hungry when I was a kid" so casually, and I explain that it's because they were young and so it's no longer as important after they've grown up)

As a perfect example of my above point, I feel absolutely shitty for comparing me just slamming my head with a door to something as serious as starvation.

I bring it up if it's relevant, because it did happen to me and I can speak about it firsthand, but comparing it to other sensitive topics makes me just not want to talk about it at all. If you want to call me out for being a colossal sissy, attention-whoring, and for comparing my tiny problems to more critical issues, you should, because that's what it sure feels like to me. Again, I don't know what possessed me to post this here, because I just feel like even worse of a person than I did when I was starting to write the post.

I just want advice on how to bring it up in a good way that won't arouse pity or come off as attention-whoring.
aka Scott Hopkins aka Swerve Keystyle aka Equestrian Threat: https://www.youtube.com/c/EquestrianThreat

I can't type cursive, so I don't know what's supposed to go in my signature.

Don't quote me.
ClaviSound

Primary: Audacity cuz sweg, Ableton
Cutie Mark: N/A

Postby ExoBassTix » 05 Dec 2013 03:22

Having had the same myself, I can tell you this.

Not everyone knows how the head of a gifted person works (not near enough -_- ). You can help them over it and it won't feel as bad anymore to explain the self-hurt bit.

Or just don't bring it up unless asked ;)
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Motivfs » 06 Dec 2013 17:29

Eh... Safe to say I've lost interest in everything now. I spend days looking into nothingness and I find myself questioning what to do. I want to produce music, but right now, it just doesn't feel right. I listen to my pieces over and over again, and I'm very happy about how I've progressed, but it seems there is something stopping me from doing something new and different.

I know producing will only remain as a hobby for me, and likely never a career, and I'm fully content with that, but I wonder why I'm stuck in this position right now. It's not music block either, it's strange.

To add onto what I believe it is. It's that I'm sick of producing EDM, and suddenly..... I THINK I want to produce Orchestral. However, I lack the tools and programs to do so right now. I'm awaiting a job that'll pay me a lot of money that would lead me to being able to afford all the VSTs I'd want/need to do so. I've been avidly listening to a lot of Modern Orchestral lately.

I think it's more of me getting locked up inbetween not wanting to produce EDM, and needing the job so I can afford the VSTs I desire. I don't want the cheap stuff.
Motivfs

Postby Freewave » 06 Dec 2013 18:20

Orchestral is expensive, there's no doubt about it. If you plan to pay it will take a lot of time to afford. That much is true.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Motivfs » 06 Dec 2013 18:47

@FW I do indeed plan to pay, and I'm fine in waiting to do so.

@eery. Yeah, I guess it's a matter of doing something different. I've always been so fixated on Drum & Bass, but as I've continuously produced it, I've tried adding bits of Orchestral into it. Now it's taking over my music, and the VSTs I use don't cut it. I guess DnB has gotten bland for me to produce and Orchestral, as you said will "mess up my view on music a bit".

-------

Maybe even just make some hardcore screeching dubstep which I so much as despise. :lol:
Motivfs

Postby Conduit » 06 Dec 2013 19:34

Motivfs wrote:@FW I do indeed plan to pay, and I'm fine in waiting to do so.

@eery. Yeah, I guess it's a matter of doing something different. I've always been so fixated on Drum & Bass, but as I've continuously produced it, I've tried adding bits of Orchestral into it. Now it's taking over my music, and the VSTs I use don't cut it. I guess DnB has gotten bland for me to produce and Orchestral, as you said will "mess up my view on music a bit".

-------

Maybe even just make some hardcore screeching dubstep which I so much as despise. :lol:

If you want to make some orchestral, and have every thing except the sample libraries to do it, you could compose something and send me the midi, and I'll run it through Kontakt. I have some pretty nice sounding stuff, so if you can use whatever default library you have, or free soundfonts, you should be able to get it to a point where I can just throw it in, and send you back the audio files.

EDIT: This might be a bit tedious for you, and its far from a perfect solution, but if it helps you through your creative block I would be glad to help.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby Motivfs » 06 Dec 2013 20:29

Conduit wrote:If you want to make some orchestral, and have every thing except the sample libraries to do it, you could compose something and send me the midi, and I'll run it through Kontakt. I have some pretty nice sounding stuff, so if you can use whatever default library you have, or free soundfonts, you should be able to get it to a point where I can just throw it in, and send you back the audio files.

EDIT: This might be a bit tedious for you, and its far from a perfect solution, but if it helps you through your creative block I would be glad to help.

That's an incredibly generous offer from you, and I appreciate you putting that out in the open for me, but I'd rather do everything on my own will. I'll manage waiting through it. In the meantime I can study how to properly do Orchestral arrangement. ADSR, Panning, Volume, Stereo, what consists of an actual Orchestra -etc.

I thank you for the offer. :smile:
Motivfs

Postby Conduit » 06 Dec 2013 21:04

Motivfs wrote:
Conduit wrote:If you want to make some orchestral, and have every thing except the sample libraries to do it, you could compose something and send me the midi, and I'll run it through Kontakt. I have some pretty nice sounding stuff, so if you can use whatever default library you have, or free soundfonts, you should be able to get it to a point where I can just throw it in, and send you back the audio files.

That's an incredibly generous offer from you, and I appreciate you putting that out in the open for me, but I'd rather do everything on my own will. I'll manage waiting through it. In the meantime I can study how to properly do Orchestral arrangement. ADSR, Panning, Volume, Stereo, what consists of an actual Orchestra -etc.

I thank you for the offer. :smile:

Your welcome, I understand how nice it is to do everything from start to finish, just wanted to give you some options.

If you ever want to talk about orchestral stuff or anything really add me on skype.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby Motivfs » 06 Dec 2013 21:40

For sure! I don't use Skype that much anymore but I'll be sure to add you when I get the chance.
Motivfs

Postby Pickslide1992 » 07 Dec 2013 14:59

Motivfs, I guess you could say I'm in that kind of musical rut myself, but I've always pigeon-holed myself into rock or metal, and I never really tried to experiment with other genres because they were out of my comfort zone, so I suffer a bit of stagnation, if you will. Being a one-man band doesn't help either (Playing guitar and synths, programming drums and such, etc.).
Hey guys, new YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/PowerChordEPS

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Styles: Rock, metal, pop, new wave
Pickslide1992

Postby Facade » 07 Dec 2013 16:41

oh god i just feel like putting my fist through a wall right now

oh why oh why cant i just die but nooo i have to live out this shit
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Pickslide1992 » 07 Dec 2013 17:15

Facade wrote:oh god i just feel like putting my fist through a wall right now

oh why oh why cant i just die but nooo i have to live out this shit

Facade, what seems to be the problem, man? Punching your fist through a wall certainly won't solve anything except if you're looking for a broken wrist and a hospital visit. :lol:

But on a serious note, what's eating you enough to suggest such a thing? If it's something private, feel free to PM me, but otherwise we want to help. At least I do.
Hey guys, new YouTube!

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Pickslide1992

Postby Facade » 07 Dec 2013 18:07

whats the point? we live just to die? all i hear is this shit about do something for people etc etc why? we all die thats it the point of life is to die am i wrong to want that to happen sooner?
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

Facade

Postby Pickslide1992 » 07 Dec 2013 18:52

While I understand that we all have our time to meet our maker, yes ending your life too soon is a terrible thing. The fact you're reaching out in this thread is a sign that you need help, since most folks who do go through with suicide already do it without making it known.

I would suggest looking for a suicide prevention hotline to help out, since I'm by no means a professional at this. I will say this: If you do decide to end it all, think of everyone who'll miss you. Your family, friends, surely everyone on this site will mourn you. I don't know you too well and I'd be disheartened to hear that you've killed yourself. Suicide is a long term solution to a short term problem.
Hey guys, new YouTube!

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Pickslide1992

Postby Freewave » 07 Dec 2013 19:00

^ He speaks the truth. Life is the only game in town. Pulling the plug means you're leaving nothing to ever get better. Are things consistently that bad? Def post in the hugging and venting thread (spam thread is not for this) and talk it out if that helps. But def seek professional help if you constantly feel bad and can't ever feel good or want to kill yourself.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Facade » 07 Dec 2013 19:06

> Suicide is a long term solution to a short term problem.

i keep hearing this stupid argument
19 years is short term problem? thats like 1/4th of my life if not more
Spoiler Quotes:

Facade

Postby Nine Volt » 07 Dec 2013 19:15

Facade wrote:> Suicide is a long term solution to a short term problem.

i keep hearing this stupid argument
19 years is short term problem? thats like 1/4th of my life if not more

And what of that other 3/4? Even if you've had a shitty life so far just think of all the amazing things you'll be missing, all the opportunities and miracles you'd be throwing away, and of all the people who would dearly miss you. Family, friends, acquaintances, us here at MLR, to name a few.

But if you're seriously considering ending your life, Facade, call this number:
1-800-273-8255

It's the suicide hotline. Call it.
Nine Volt

Postby Facade » 07 Dec 2013 19:20

I'm going to at least wait until I'm 21 (1 year and 8 months) before i decide

i doubt this community will still be around then so don't worry about me
Spoiler Quotes:

Facade

Postby itroitnyah » 07 Dec 2013 20:33

Dude, good job waiting until you're 21. It will give you time to think. Life is the longest thing you'll ever do, after all. Oh, and it's pretty awful to think that the point in life is to succeed. Whatever the hell the point of life is, is beyond me. We developed from tiny cells millions and millions of years ago to the point where we are now, so there probably isn't a point in life. Come to think of it, there isn't a point in anything we do. What's the point of building super cars and houses and rocket ships and computers? What's the point of learning?What the hell is the point of clothing and societies morals? What's the point of living in civilized society? Everything can be questioned by "what's the point of that". Go ahead. Think up of something in your head. Picknicks. What is the point of having a picknick. What's the point of enjoying a beautiful day or having fun? What is the point of anything in this whole god damn universe?

I've been having a pretty shitty day myself, and I have no idea why.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Pickslide1992 » 07 Dec 2013 21:18

It may be a cliche piece of advice, but it wouldn't be used all the time if it didn't work. Take it from someone who got very close to ending his own life on more than one occasion, it takes a lot of guts to follow through. You have to consider everyone who even cares about you a tiny bit. Think of your parents who are horrified to see their offspring laying lifeless on the floor or dangling from his ceiling; their horrified expressions giving way to sadness. Think of all of us here who hear that you've done it, and how many posts there'll be mourning you, wishing you decided to continue on instead of die. You show a lot of promise as a musician, I know it, and even if it's just a hobby, you have people who like what you do and will sorely miss you should you decide to throw it all away.

Please, for the love of God, get help if you're serious. Nothing is worth killing yourself over.
Hey guys, new YouTube!

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Pickslide1992

Postby Facade » 07 Dec 2013 21:24

Pickslide1992 wrote:You show a lot of promise as a musician

biggest joke on the entire forum

everything ive ever submitted gets turned down as crap or unoriginal
Spoiler Quotes:

Facade

Postby Pickslide1992 » 07 Dec 2013 21:32

Facade wrote:

Not true, you're very good from what I've heard. Rejection is a part of life, my friend. You know how many times an author gets his manuscript rejected from a publisher or a screenwriter gets his script rejected by a studio? A LOT more often than when they get accepted. The key here is to be persistent and not cow down when things look rough. Think of other artists who get turned down by either major labels or in our case, sites like EqD. There's hundreds of other people like you and me trying to get our names out there, but again, you're going to get rejected more times than you're accepted, but you know what? That makes the acceptance all the more sweeter. If you got accepted all the time, how would you feel?
Hey guys, new YouTube!

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Pickslide1992

Postby Facade » 07 Dec 2013 21:40

id feel like someone wants/likes me for the first time in my life
Spoiler Quotes:

Facade

Postby ClaviSound » 07 Dec 2013 21:43

What you are talking about is Nihilism: Life has no intrinsic meaning or value. What is the point of doing anything? Indeed, how can one feel meaningful when eventually everything, from your own life to the life of the universe, ends?

Well, I like to think everyone has something to fight with. Not just substance, but essence. The tempo that gives birth to the universe, the bridge that leads to its death. You can use it to cry at the despair that announces the end, or with the ultimate thumb to the nose, scoff at it. There's more to this existence than construction and destruction.

There is art.

What we create is more than just an extension of ourselves, it's a dream. A dream that can touch others into touching others into touching yet more. A dream that turns into poetry which turns into sound which turns into warmth, feeling, spirit, the will to live. A dream that, if it can change one person, just one, it can change the world.

Somewhere in art, deep within its infinite crevasses and impenetrable cells that contain the nuclei of creation, something is born, something that was not there to begin with, but was conjured through something more integral to ourselves as human beings than anything else.

It is something that can be found in all of us. It asks for us to listen, to share, and to live, even if we can't explain more than what drove us to create in the first place.

What begins and ends the world? What makes us exist, even when there isn't an audience?

Music.

A song.

Sure, maybe life may ultimately mean nothing. But is it not the greatest testament to humans that to become humans, they took nothing and made something out of it?

Nine Volt wrote:But if you're seriously considering ending your life, Facade, call this number:
1-800-273-8255

It's the suicide hotline. Call it.

We can talk to you if you need to talk, but at the end of the day, I don't think anyone here is a professional.
aka Scott Hopkins aka Swerve Keystyle aka Equestrian Threat: https://www.youtube.com/c/EquestrianThreat

I can't type cursive, so I don't know what's supposed to go in my signature.

Don't quote me.
ClaviSound

Primary: Audacity cuz sweg, Ableton
Cutie Mark: N/A

Postby Magnitude Zero » 07 Dec 2013 21:45

Facade wrote:

If I can make a suggestion?

I'm sure you've been told many times to stop worrying what other people think, and to make music solely for yourself and for music's sake, and I'm sure you realize that's easier said than done. One thing you can try to get yourself to that point is to make something silly. Just make some really stupid joke song for the hell of it, completely disregarding everything you know about making quality music, and have as much fun as possible with it. Even if it's only funny to you, if no one gets it or no one finds it amusing in the slightest. Just give it a go and have some fun!

As artists, we have such a great opportunity to make stupid shit. A lot of artists don't seem to realize how amazing that is, or how lucky we are. We can make jokes that no one else can.

I dunno. That's what I do when I'm feeling down (especially about my music), anyway.
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion