Any music touched you to the point where...

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Any music touched you to the point where...

Postby Likonan » 29 Dec 2011 15:34

...you deliberately skip listening to them, even if you have them in your music player? I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in having this feeling.

For example, there are at least 5 songs that I somehow can not bring myself to play them very often:
"When The World Ends (Oakenfold Remix)" - Dave Matthews Band
"Main Theme (Farewell Party Remix)" - Not A Clever Pony
"Elle Ne Me Voit Pas" - Jean-Jacques Goldman
"The Final Trick" - D.Notive
"Abandonment" - Taiji Master OST

These are among my most favourite tracks, but the emotional experience I get from them drives me to postpone the listening time. The non-pony tracks I avoid listening to alot for personal reasons (No, they don't make me cry. It's a different kind of emotion, more introspective or melancholic.)
The pony songs (NotACleverPony's & D.Notive's) touch me with the same emotions, but I haven't a clue why. My best guess is because they're both two "End of the road"-esque tracks.

Would you guys think this is a blessing or a curse?
Likonan

Primary: Mixcraft, FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Electronica?

Re: Any music touched you to the point where...

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 29 Dec 2011 17:19

I'm not even American, but this song is so SO sad...and this is just 5 minutes of the 20 minute work! Highly recommend looking for the whole version! Although, it's one I rarely listen to, because of the emotional power it has...
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Tiaaaaa » 29 Dec 2011 17:19

I hear songs all the time like that. But I have sort of the exact opposite response to them. I listen to them over and over again, usually to the point that they don't make me cry anymore. It's actually the ability for music to make people feel things so intensely that made me so interested in making music myself. Music is a beautifully powerful tool, and examples of that are all around us everyday.
Tiaaaaa

Postby Navron » 29 Dec 2011 17:32

This piece always manages to hit my emotions pretty hard, especially near the end:

DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Aussie » 29 Dec 2011 18:27

Probably half of Radiohead's The Bends, and the entire discography of Carissa's Wierd for me. I don't listen to many things that would be considered sad, or emotional, as I prefer stuff that is way more upbeat. :D
Aussie

Postby DasDeer » 29 Dec 2011 18:32

I will be honest with you all. "Real" music rarely makes me sad, or invoke any really strong feelings in me. However...

Video game music.
It might sound silly, but the music that really gets to me, is video game music. I'm guessing its because i connect them to a certain moment, and a certain emotion. Most of the video game music i listen to nowadays are old classics from the SNES and N64/PSX era, and most of the songs invoke happiness and joy in me.
But, there are ofcourse exceptions. This one right here, is one of them. NOTE: It starts pretty loud, so lower your volume.

As the name implies, it plays during a very sad moment of the game. Now, i was around 8-10 when this scene occured. A very sad moment, accompanied with a very sad song? It definitely left a impression on me.
Always gives me shivers when i hear it.
DasDeer

Postby Kumquaticus » 29 Dec 2011 20:12

No. Contest.

I'd still probably have the same reaction even without the fic to go along side it.

The tears won't stop, and this song NEVER gets played unless I am at full attention and in a mood fitting for it.
Life is good. Life is short. Have some fun and enjoy it while it lasts.

My bandcamp
My SoundCloud
My Tumblr
Kumquaticus

Postby meletric » 30 Dec 2011 18:54

The entirety of the album Hospice by The Antlers. It's so beautiful, but most of the time it's just too powerful for me to be able to listen to it.

Same thing with Trainwreck by Boys Night Out and Bayside's acoustic album.
meletric

Postby TheSunAndTheRainfall » 30 Dec 2011 19:02

Oh yes. Depeche Mode's Here Is The House, Four In The Morning and Keep Moving, both by Ivy, the entirety of Bon Iver's For Emma, Forever Ago, to name a few. But most prominently, Blonde Redhead's My Plants Are Dead.

I found out about this song during a particularly important and sort of pivotal period in my life, and it helped me get by. It also doesn't hurt that I got to hear it live on the most significant day of said period. Now I just listen to it on late night bus rides, when I go back to my hometown from Mexico City, and I'm feeling mellow. Or low.

Last edited by TheSunAndTheRainfall on 30 Dec 2011 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
TheSunAndTheRainfall

Postby meletric » 30 Dec 2011 19:06

TheSunAndTheRainfall wrote:Oh yes. Depeche Mode's Here Is The House, Four In The Morning and Keep Moving, both by Ivy, the entirety of Bon Iver's For Emma, Forever Ago. But most prominently, Blonde Redhead's My Plants Are Dead.

Oh man, I love Bon Iver and Blonde Redhead too :D

Great music.
meletric

Postby Senator Myth » 30 Dec 2011 21:07

Safe by Chris Squire. It's a very long song, and whenever I first listened to it I just sort of hated it because I thought it was bland. But then, one day, when I was feeling really down and a bit scared about some things, I listened to Safe and it made me feel so much better. So now, it's the song I listen to whenever I need comfort, or whenever I'm feeling lost or alone or afraid... I don't necessarily actively avoid it because of that, but mostly because of its length. It's just such a beautiful song...
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

Postby Serisium » 31 Dec 2011 07:59

Nostalgic music seems to hit me the hardest. I vividly remember being 5-6 years old, watching the episode "Pikachu's Goodbye", and when that final song played, I couldn't help but to cry my heart out. Listening to it again today brings me to that exact same place and I can't help but let out a few tears,'

Serisium

Postby Interrobang Pie » 31 Dec 2011 08:09

DasDeer wrote:Video game music.
It might sound silly, but the music that really gets to me, is video game music. I'm guessing its because i connect them to a certain moment, and a certain emotion. Most of the video game music i listen to nowadays are old classics from the SNES and N64/PSX era, and most of the songs invoke happiness and joy in me.

Yes.

Examples for me would be Mario World's Castle theme, and Mario World 2's intro theme. And I haven't even played Mario World 2.

AND THEN OH MY GOD THIS

AND THEN THE CAMEO IN THIS SONG OH MY GODDDDDDDDDD

I don't know why I've only chosen Mario. Maybe he and his games are just so pro every time.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby randomblockfilms » 02 Jan 2012 12:31

defiantly all of Pogo's songs touch me. But this one was the first i listened too and it makes me so happy! It was 2 in the morning when i first heard this and i was on the computer on a school night when i wasnt supposed to be on and when i heard this i was kind of lost in a trance. My imagination went wild when i heard this song. Also Bangarang is one of my favorites too.

mahYoutubeChannal

Take my advice with a grain of salt as i too am learning how this music stuff works
English is my native language but it is defiantly not my forte.
randomblockfilms

Primary: Ableton 8

Postby TheSunAndTheRainfall » 02 Jan 2012 14:57

You know, I'd seen Pogo's name thrown around in several places but never looked him up.

... now I know what I'll be obsessing over in the next few days. Thanks. c:
TheSunAndTheRainfall

Postby SuperGiantRobot » 02 Jan 2012 18:05

Last edited by SuperGiantRobot on 02 Jan 2012 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
SuperGiantRobot

Postby Triple_B » 02 Jan 2012 19:06

SuperGiantRobot wrote:This. Listen to it it while reading this.

Your second link is broken; FYI.

A great many of the musical pieces focused around the 9/11 Tragedy; I can't be bothered to go look for them, several patriotic country songs as well; among them this; Proud to be an American - Lee Greenwood Scoff all you like; I love this song, and regardless of the sorry state it's in, I'll stand by America 'till I bite the dust.

There are numerous musical pieces I have to skip nowadays, simply because they remind me of individuals whom are now absent from the land of the living; however most of them are random things, like I cannot listen to Caribou Lou by Tech N9ne, ever, at all, anymore; it was a friend's favorite song, (And drink).

Uh; yeah... Random stuff, patriotism, and one pony song I'll keep to myself; though if you know me at all it's probably obvious.
10/15/2014 - I finally return to ponies? Maybe.

Actually it was more like 10/12/2015

My current SoundCloud, pony & non-pony things found here.

I have 4 EP's under this alias!

Somepony talk to me, I are the lonelies. :c
Triple_B

Primary: Ableton Live Suite 8.2
Cutie Mark: EDM History!

Postby SuperGiantRobot » 02 Jan 2012 19:36

Goddamit, just a sec.

To reiterate:

This. Listen to it while reading this.

Do it; you'll thank me.

I swear to god the combination of the two is one of the beautiful things I've ever felt. It's like having a sponge go through your soul

Go. Do. now.
SuperGiantRobot

Postby MasterOfRegret » 02 Jan 2012 22:56

Yes. I actually listen to the lyrics of quite a few songs and think about how they apply to me, and THIS song makes me nearly cry every time I hear it.
And THIS. The emotion in his voice in this song is so touching.
A genre though? Not so much.
Check out my stuff.
| Youtube | SoundCloud |
I'm finally getting good at this!
MasterOfRegret

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Guitar

Postby MiuMiuChuu » 03 Jan 2012 12:28

Any song about parents-children relationship. Special mention goes to "Slipping Through My Fingers" from ABBA.
Or anything sung by Charice, especially her Celine Dion covers. That girl can make anyone cry.
MiuMiuChuu

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Weird kind

Postby ismbof » 03 Jan 2012 15:52

I cried/sobbed to this song.

This is why I someday would like to make a song that makes people go wah wah. Seriously though this song touched me and I cried at how beautifully written and happy/sad the progression is at the end. Before listening to that song I never would've thought a metal song could be so sad and emotional.
ismbof

Postby Versilaryan » 04 Jan 2012 16:38

A lot of classical music is this way for me. I have to be in the right mood, but when I am, I'll listen to Ives' Fourth Symphony or Maslanka's Fourth Symphony front to back, not doing anything else but enjoying the music. Whitacre's "Cloudburst" is another one of those.

So is a lot of Dave Douglas. "Wild Blue" or "November" are songs I really have to be in the right mood to listen to, even though they're easily on my list of top favorite songs of all time.
Versilaryan

Postby Hirosashii » 04 Jan 2012 17:58

Probably has to do with the fact that I grew up with this show, but I can't handle this song. It's beautifully composed, the dynamics speak to me in a way in which no song has even come close. The imperfect tempo gives me the sense that it's not meant to be a perfectly constructed piece and that the slowed down bits are there to make you reflect on the past couple of phrases. The high notes in the beginning make me think of a lonely, weeping child and the dynamics only reflect that.

Wow, that sounded really sappy and stupid, but here's the song, regardless:

Applecore is the best pony
Hirosashii

Postby Bactatanker » 04 Jan 2012 23:33

Let's see, mostly the only thing that can do this to me is a song that explodes the emotions violently. And since none of my life experiences are that emotion jerking, I have to go with one that involves fiction.
that would be Journey's End, the credits theme to Return of the King.
goodbye Frodo. *sniff*

It's really the whole This is the end of the story... seriously that's it feeling you get after following your beloved characters on their adventures.
Bactatanker

Postby MixolydianPony » 23 Jan 2012 21:11

Speaking of LOTR....

Shivers down my spine every time. This whole soundtrack is awesome, but this song in particular...

Acoustic, electric, and 12 string acoustic guitarist, always looking for collabs.
MixolydianPony

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussion