New cartoon music portal

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

New cartoon music portal

Postby Diss Order » 11 Dec 2011 16:54

I've been mailing back and forth with Seth a bit, and... to be honest I don't really agree with the way music is handled on Equestria Daily right now. Also, if music of yours gets posted, it will be drowned in other content within a day or 2. (No offense, I just want to serve the community, I'm not trying yo start a war with EqD!)

SO... I have the know-how to build and design websites, and seeing as I'm going to study Film, Animation and New Media next year, this seems like a nice side project I could do to apply my newly found knowledge on. :) The idea is to build a portal for music based on cartoons, so it will also have a section for My Little Pony. Perhaps it will be a boost to the cartoon music community in general, because as far as I know My Little Pony is the only show that has a fandom with SO MUCH FAN MUSIC. Who knows!

I'll get it a nice design, its own domain and a nice content management system. It's probably going to divide music per fandom in the following categories:

- Beginner music: Music from new producers and artists that has potential but isn't really there yet. This counts for most of the fan music (including my own).
- Advanced music: This would be Celestia-tier music... In other words: the stuff Pinkie Pie Swear, Jackle App, Alex S, etc makes. This is NOT based on popularity, purely on the quality of the music.
- Inspired music: This is a way for people to get their music featured without stuffing it up the faces of people who don't want to hear it. With 'inspired' I mean: Music that is inspired by a show but not directly related to it. If people aren't interested in this kind of fan music, they just don't have to visit that category of the site. :)

Each artist will have their own profile on the site with a list of their tracks, a little bio, etc (pretty much like on Celestia Radio) and will be able to submit their music to the staff, after which it will be posted on a staff forum with a poll after which the staff can vote to allow it or decline it. You can also subscribe to an RSS feed of each category of each fandom. So, let's say someone only wants to be notified when new 'advanced' My Little Pony fan music gets posted, he could decide to only subscribe to the RSS feed for that part of the site!

If you register as an artist on that site, you'll first be listed as 'Beginner' and if your music gets through it will automatically be listed as beginner. However, you can send a request to the staff in which you state that you want to be listed under 'advanced', after which we'll discuss whether you'll be promoted. Beware though, if your request gets accepted, we will be more strict with judging your music (seeing as most stuff in the beginner category of the site isn't of high quality enough to be in the advanced section). Again, this is going to have NOTHING to do with the popularity of a producer, just the quality of their music output.

A cool thing about this idea is that it will be more fair, your stuff won't get stuffed away by other news since the site is only focussed on music, and it's cheap! Why? The site won't need the huge amount of bandwidth an image gallery would need, because all the content posted on it is already hosted on other sites (read: youtube, soundcloud, etc)! The only bandwidth you'll get is when people clean their cookies (they have to redownload the design of the website) and when people load a page (= only text based information, so it doesn't require much bandwidth either).

Membership in any way will be free, and will stay free. Donations are always welcome, but since it doesn't require much bandwidth I won't have to pay too much money to keep a site like this online, and I'm willing to pay the price. :)

At the moment I don't have much money to spare though, and since building a website like this takes a lot of time it will probably take a few months for me to realize this idea. So in the meantime, I'd like to get AS MUCH FEEDBACK AS POSSIBLE from you guys.

So... What do you think!? :D

Also, your stuff won't get put into a queue. The time it takes for it to be posted depends on a voting process. Whether your stuff gets accepted or declined doesn't matter, you will ALWAYS be notified!
Last edited by Diss Order on 16 Dec 2011 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
New aliases: Subhoofer, for online fandom stuffs. Name Not Required is for original stuff. :)

https://soundcloud.com/djnnr/lemons-2nd-preview
Diss Order

Re: New cartoon music portal

Postby sci » 11 Dec 2011 17:11

<sci> worst case: music gets almost completely removed from EqD, and this site falls into unknowndom in the process.
<Scootaleo> oh man that'd be bad but I doubt it would influence EqD unless it got really big
<sci> addendum: send EqD a weekly/monthly "here's what happened recently that's really amazing" post
<Scootaleo> I imagine people would submit to both
<sci> addendum to addendum: that "weekly music wrapup" would contain top-quality songs AS WELL as uprising newcomers
<sci> and whatever else
<sci> </thoughts>

posting that here for posterity.
sci

Primary: OpenMPT
Cutie Mark: Sampling

Postby Circuitfry » 11 Dec 2011 17:13

Dude just make a website okay?
Viricide wrote:Thanks Obama. Or should I say Cirbama.

\
Circuitfry

Primary: LMMS
Cutie Mark: {;}

Postby Diss Order » 11 Dec 2011 17:30

<sci> worst case: music gets almost completely removed from EqD, and this site falls into unknowndom in the process.
<Scootaleo> oh man that'd be bad but I doubt it would influence EqD unless it got really big
<sci> addendum: send EqD a weekly/monthly "here's what happened recently that's really amazing" post
<Scootaleo> I imagine people would submit to both
<sci> addendum to addendum: that "weekly music wrapup" would contain top-quality songs AS WELL as uprising newcomers
<sci> and whatever else
<sci> </thoughts>

[00:13] <DissOrder> I prompted that idea to seth
[00:13] <DissOrder> and he said "no I'll still handle those music submissions, I like doing it cus it makes people happy"

So yeah, I guess I'll just have to co-exist with Equestria Daily rather than affiliating with it. I don't mind either way. :)

Circuitfry wrote:Dude just make a website okay?

wat
New aliases: Subhoofer, for online fandom stuffs. Name Not Required is for original stuff. :)

Diss Order

Postby Sethisto » 11 Dec 2011 17:55

Good job completely changing my quote.
Sethisto

Postby Diss Order » 11 Dec 2011 18:18

Sethisto wrote:Good job completely changing my quote.

I quoted it from my head because I already closed my Gmail tab and logged out and I couldnt look it back in Trillian.

Really, I don't see the problem. Please don't misinterpret my intentions. I'm not trying to start a war against you so please stop treating it as such. :(

Diss Order

Postby Mundius » 11 Dec 2011 19:14

Seth, don't get mean.

Circuitfry wrote:Dude just make a website okay?

Um... *looks at the website we're both in* Wut.
Mundius

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Overkillius » 14 Dec 2011 18:21

Vinyl Scratch wrote:

Seth, don't get mean.

Wat?
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius wrote:The bad thing about music... is that it is subjective.
The good thing about music... is that it is subjective!
Overkillius

Primary: Reaper, Famitracker
Cutie Mark: #9 Chords

Postby Calamus_Dash » 14 Dec 2011 18:58

REALLY like this idea, but the only potential problem in my opinion is that people would just listen to the advanced section and ignore us plebians :P
how did this get here
i am not good with computer

http://www.youtube.com/user/calamusdash
Calamus_Dash

Postby randomblockfilms » 14 Dec 2011 21:53

from what i understand, i kind of like this idea!
mahYoutubeChannal

Take my advice with a grain of salt as i too am learning how this music stuff works
English is my native language but it is defiantly not my forte.
randomblockfilms

Primary: Ableton 8

Postby Diss Order » 15 Dec 2011 09:19

Calamus_Dash wrote:REALLY like this idea, but the only potential problem in my opinion is that people would just listen to the advanced section and ignore us plebians :P

The advanced section would get updated less frequently. People would get bored, and browse the beginner one. Also, there will be plenty of people who would browse that section anyway, trust me. ;)

Music doesn't have to be pro to be fun. :3 Perhaps I could think of some kind of reward system if people post feedback/critique on beginner music.

OR:

I could ditch the beginner category and just make Pony Music and Pony-Inspired Music as categories. And the really really awesome/well-made tracks get featured on the frontpage. How bout that, yo?

Diss Order

Postby TaisiKP » 15 Dec 2011 20:53

I like the idea. It's simple, yet extremely effective. Dare I say, SUPER EFFECTIVE.

No, wait, but yeah. I like this. It's similar to how I'm trying to build up a brony poetry site.
TaisiKP

Postby Diss Order » 02 Jan 2012 15:23

Just so you guys know, I'm still working on this.

I bought the domain cartoon-music.com with unlimited hosting and 250 gigs of bandwidth per month. Currently busy with school assignments, but I'm working on it. :ugeek:

Diss Order

Postby InC » 03 Jan 2012 11:53

This seems like a cool concept, but you need to be very careful with your choice of words : a golden rule is that if you really have to do some kind of ranking, always rank the music, not the artists. I have nothing against putting the best tunes in the limelight, but "beginner" and "advanced" music make it sound like an evaluating of an artist's talent, and such labeling will inevitably create tension and drama. Just like you said, featuring the best songs is probably the way to go. Other than that, I'm really liking this idea.
InC

Postby SuperGiantRobot » 03 Jan 2012 16:52

So sort of a side version of The My Little Pony Music Archive, then?

I'd like to see it. No offense to Waka, but it can be well on a month between updates for that site now; it used to be weekly.
SuperGiantRobot

Postby Diss Order » 04 Jan 2012 06:05

Funny how they say it contains ALL songs when most of mine aren't in there. :/

@InC: you bring up a good point. I guess I'll just stick to 2 categories (Pony Music and Pony Inspired Music) and then I'll let the staff vote for really good songs so they can be featured, regardless of who the creator is. :]

This is the domain I bought btw: http://cartoon-music.com

Implying that it's going to host other fandoms as well in the future. :)

Diss Order

giving away the domain + hosting

Postby Diss Order » 18 Jan 2012 10:30

Considering there's all sorts of music sites popping up now, there's really no need for me to continue to work on mine. There's now a few other sites who do pretty much the same thing I wanted to do.

So... if anyone wants the domain cartoon-music.com + the hosting (250gigs bandwidth + unlimited hosting), just pm me and I'll figure out how I can transfer my account to you. It's paid for until the end of December 2012. After that you'll have to pay for it yourself (I think it was about 40~50 dollars per year).

Any takers?

Diss Order

Postby natsukashi » 18 Jan 2012 13:36

I'm interested in knowing which other sites that are doing this because I know of none
ToastbeardERS03:
23:32:35 <natsukashi> I played this for my mom
23:32:48 <J4CKL3-4PP> "now I'm an orphan"
natsukashi

Postby Tiaaaaa » 18 Jan 2012 13:40

natsukashi wrote:I'm interested in knowing which other sites that are doing this because I know of none

Seconded. Aside from Equestrian Beats I don't know of any. Unless Soundcloud, Equestria Daily and Youtube count. But I really don't count them since two are for all kinds of music and one of them is all kinds of pony stuff, not just pony music.
Tiaaaaa

Postby Flutterbro » 18 Jan 2012 15:27

Flutterbro

Postby Diss Order » 19 Jan 2012 10:57

Tiaaaaa wrote:Equestrian Beats

Flutterbro wrote:http://bronyplayer.com/

Woop.

Diss Order

Postby AutomaticJack » 24 Jan 2012 19:06

Why don't you allow the listeners to vote for the best? Everyone is familiar with the 5 star basis, and you could also have counter for how many times rated/listened. And then perhaps that count could be modified,evaluated, and perhaps adjusted... in the event of ghost accounts and people forcing their friends to make them look good =P
Not that any Brony's would do that, but we can't be trustin' any of those other fandom's.... especially the Ren and Stimpy Adult Party Cartoon fans. o.0
Pride can be wounded. Swagger is INVINCIBLE..
[The Factory] -- [The Showroom] -- [The Catalog]
DAW: FL Studio 11, Adobe Audition 1.5
Current Project: Too many to name!!! =P
AutomaticJack

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Master of all things Rhythmic

Postby Diss Order » 25 Jan 2012 17:53

That would be cool, but the problem is: I don't have the money to host all that content myself. It would be a handy content management system, nice index of who and what, and what's trending, what's new, and what's good, etc... But it would probably still be youtube and soundcloud streams. Because yeah... bandwidth. :?

I could get a premium soundcloud account and host everything on there so I also have a nice little embed player and download function on the site + advanced stat tracking, but that still costs quite a lot of money.

Money I don't have, unfortunately...

Diss Order

Return to Off-Topic Discussion