Where do you come from? [Communites Thread]

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Where do you come from? [Communites Thread]

Postby [voodoopony] » 06 Dec 2011 05:27

Most of us have had a previous and/or current obsession other than ponies that we've at some point been completely dedicated to, be it Pokehmans, Harrey Potar, or even Star Wahrs. Where did you come from?
_ _ _

Before I got into ponies, I was into LittleBigPlanet, that game for the PS3. I mean, I was REALLY into it. It was my life for a couple years. I normally don't like to get addicted to games but I looked at it as a canvas and it allowed me to practice art and further developed my artistic ability. Not to mention I met some great, talented pals I still text every day to this day. I'd still be into the game now but the energy I'd need to put into it is instead put into music and ponies.

I had roughly 14-1500 hearts [kind of like subscribers] in the game and my levels had a couple hundred thousand plays [I deleted most of them because of space and because some of them sucked]. I went under XVoodeedooX which I now use for my artist name [without the stupid Xs] God, those were the days.
Some of the levels people have on Youtube:
Alice in LittleBigLand
A City in the Future
Island in the Sky
Kinda odd; the levels are very short but detailed, a lot like my songs, videos, and artwork.
Warning: May cause rapid chest hair growth.
Youtube - Bandcamp
[voodoopony]

Re: Where do you come from? [Communites Thread]

Postby PinkieGuy » 06 Dec 2011 05:32

I used to be involved in the Phoenix Wright: The Musical project, albeit in a somewhat limited capacity. Used to spend tonnes of time on that forum and getting in on that community though.

Apart from that, not much in terms of E-communities. There is something magical about MLP and MLR that it's kept my attention this long :)
JackleApp wrote:THIS IS A HEINOUS ABUSE OF POWER BUT

YOUR MOD COMMANDS YOU
PinkieGuy

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Interrobang Pie » 06 Dec 2011 05:40

Sonic fanbase -> Mega Man fanbase -> Pony fanbase

I started musicking in my Mega Man days.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby X-Trav » 06 Dec 2011 05:41

Sonic The Hedgehog, KINGDOM HEARTS, But mostly...

World of Warcaft... Tauren Death Knight.

God the thought of doing those daily quests just to get that gear. Pretty aggravating. Though at times I honestly miss it, it's a fun game. The main reason I quit was because I had to play with my older brother. That's never a fun thing, considering his temper. Arena matches were always stressful, because if we lost, it was a fit of yelling and cursing on his part, always directed towards me. If we won, he was always the one who "did that one thing that made us win" while I "f*cked up at ______". At the time I quit I had already been watching ponies but wasn't aware of the community. After I did find the community, I just stopped playing. Not shortly after, I went to community college as well. So now I divide my time between school, ponies, and the occasional, Starcraft. Thankfully i'm better at Starcraft than my brother. So he rarely plays.
Long time pianist and mediocrity extraordinaire.

Current Projects:
Manestream media
    EOE003
Call of The Crusaders
Album
X-Trav

Postby DasDeer » 06 Dec 2011 06:55

Oh, now this is a really hard question to be honest. I've done quite a lot of things, but where my passion where, and is, is gaming. But, let me elaborate.

So, when i was a young boy, i was really into gaming. From the year i was born and untill i was about 6, i spent all my time at home, or ay my grandparents house. And, while i could do things like draw or play like most other kids do, i instead played video games. Mostly Super NES and Genesis, but also Game boy etc.
One reason i am a composer nowadays is because i loved video game music back then (still do). Most of my memories of retro games are actually music related.
It was when i was around 10 when i started to create video games using programs like RPG Maker and FPS creator; this was also around this time i started to join quite alot of different types of video game forums and sites.

I was also really into Wow, altough it was a rather long time ago since i actually played it seriously. But, through my gaming and my game development i've met quite alot of really awesome people that i still talk too.

Now, i'm 17 and still a active gamer and a rather active Game developer (currently learning programming, but also basic 2D and 3D graphic, but my passion lies in Sound and Music design).

So, basically i come from gaming, and different types of gaming forums.
Last edited by DasDeer on 06 Dec 2011 11:54, edited 1 time in total.
DasDeer

Postby Tsyolin » 06 Dec 2011 11:34

I was pretty much an uber gamer, obsessed I would say. I always liked music but never did anything outside of school with it. I pretty much played video games all the time... Halo, TF2, Battlefield, etc. But then I took a pony to the knee.

And here I am.
Tsyolin

Primary: Studio One
Cutie Mark: I don't even know anymore

Postby BlackElectric » 06 Dec 2011 12:02

I was doing music and playing video games
BlackElectric

Primary: Pro Tools 10
Cutie Mark: Mixing

Postby Mundius » 06 Dec 2011 12:06

Pokemon community, PW community, and finally pony community.
Mundius

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 06 Dec 2011 13:32

Nintendo community -> anime community -> Touhou community -> doujin music community.

Pretty much that.
Supersaw Hoover

Postby Facade » 06 Dec 2011 13:55

Minecraft and halo ---> to here still play minecraft halo not as much though
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Aussie » 06 Dec 2011 16:09

INCOMING WALL OF TEXT HOLYSHIT.

I swear I probably have one of the most embarrassing internet histories ever. :D

When I first started out on the interwebz, I was a huge Nintendo fanboy. I was pretty much obsessed with Mario, and I forced my parents to get any retro game I could find at stores.

I found out about the official NSider forums in 2005 when I was 9, where I proceeded to do what most 9 year olds do on the internet when they're unsupervised. That is, be a complete moron. I spelled horrible, I disobeyed many rules, and I even wrote my own Mario fanfiction. The forums closed down in 2007, so fortunately, everything is gone.

During my stay at the NSider forums, I discovered Youtube Poops. I absolutely LOVED the stuff for some reason, so I grabbed all the CD-I footage I could find, opened up Windows Movie Maker, and got to pooping.

It was probably some of the most awful shit ever, and after hundreds of people telling me it's awful, I ragequit and deleted everything, so fortunately, everything is gone, except my amazing username.

In 2009, I found out about Let's Plays, which appealed to the 9 year old Nintendo fanboy in me.

I joined an LP forum, and as soon as I did, a few people asked me if I wanted to join their Retsupurae (retsupurae is like the LP Mystery Science Theater 3000, where you find horrible LP videos and make fun of them) group, MrRetsupurae. Just....just see the video.

After getting trolled to oblivion by Metokur, the group split up, and I went back to doing actual LPing. If you go on a LP forum, like Something Awful, or Let's Play Forum, you'll see that people...really take recording yourself playing a video game seriously. The video lagging for a bit is enough to piss them off.

So all of my videos were criticized to hell and back, and since I was 12 years old at the time, making me one of the youngest members of the community, I was also the butt of jokes. Eventually, I just got tired of everything, deleted all my videos, and left in 2010. Unfortunately, some things are still up. Some MrRetsupurae videos were backed up too. Enjoy my prepubescent 12 year old voice.

Starting in late 2010, I lurked around 4chan. I spent a month or two on /b/, then I went to /soc/, then /a/, and so on, until I eventually found myself on /mu/. /mu/ made me a bit of a hipster, but it also helped give me a really big interest in music.

I spent a few months on there, going through all the sharethreads, posting in >greentext,, and talking about how shitty mainstream music is, and how everyone who listens to it is an awful person. Yeah, /mu/ was a bit stupid. But like I said, it gave me a really big interest in music. In January, I bought a copy of Ableton Live, a Novation Launchpad, and an Akai MPK Mini.

SUDDENLY, in February, I discovered ponies, and after watching a few episodes, looking at some fanart, and really just seeing how awesome the brony community is, all the negativity that came from 4chan just...went away. I spent a few more days on 4chan, and I realized, holy shit, this is like the worse site ever. I haven't gone on since.

After the first season ended, I got bored, opened up Ableton, and made a little WIP of a Giggle At The Ghosty remix. I posted it on Ponychan, which helped me meet Circuitfry and Sci, who helped mentor me during the first and second Remix Wars.

And here we are now. :D

tl;dr Nintendo community > YTP community > LP community > /b/tard > ponies.
Aussie

Postby Versilaryan » 06 Dec 2011 16:26

I was pretty active in the Pokemon TCG community before ponies happened. I mean, I still play competitively, but not nearly to the extent I was last year.

If you guys have seen the millions of banner ads for Artix Entertainment games, I was a mod on their forums for years. Started in the literature section and branched my way out. Ended up quitting when school happened. I still poke people there from time to time, and I may or may not be almost singlehoofedly responsible for the pony takeover...
Versilaryan

Postby bartekko » 06 Dec 2011 16:33

Simple: Video Games -> Ponies

add a lot of nerd
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby LunchBagMusic » 06 Dec 2011 23:45

Okay. Please don't judge me...

I was into flight simulation.
That is all.
LunchBagMusic

Postby Makkon » 07 Dec 2011 03:11

Only real communities I was ever really a part of:
moddb --> polycount --> ponies

Tried sonic, fan's artwork terrified me. Tried starfox, again the artwork made me uncomfortable, and the games weren't cool anymore. Tried Avatar TLA, it was a ghost town.

And then bronies. Artwork, music, games. They love all the things that I love. And they were nice.
Here to stay.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Mundius » 07 Dec 2011 07:39

Makkon wrote:Only real communities I was ever really a part of:
moddb --> polycount --> ponies

Tried sonic, fan's artwork terrified me. Tried starfox, again the artwork made me uncomfortable, and the games weren't cool anymore. Tried Avatar TLA, it was a ghost town.

And then bronies. Artwork, music, games. They love all the things that I love. And they were nice.
Here to stay.

Hail.
Mundius

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby Stars In Autumn » 08 Dec 2011 06:01

I come from a GameFAQs forum spin-off. There's always a MLP megatopic on the first page so I had to bite eventually.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Return to Off-Topic Discussion