swag\.~*-=Website/Community Feedback for Reboot=-*~./swag

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: swag\.~*-=Website/Community Feedback for Reboot=-*~./swa

Postby itroitnyah » 20 May 2013 12:34

I still like my idea of putting the irc chat on one side of the screen so that the spam thread can be removed or at least trafficked way less. That way people wouldn't have to make small threads (such as my thread asking for an electrical zap sample) unless nobody on the irc knows where to find one. And it'll drive traffick to the irc as well. Also, since I know that some people don't really like swearing, make a filter thing so that when people swear it'll change the word to something like "Fruity Tooty" instead of "fuck". huehuehue Fruity Tooty you, son of a banana Although this idea is more for the comedy of it. The karma idea is a must, although don't do mod/admin appointed titles.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Nine Volt » 20 May 2013 13:01

That filter thing is seriously the worst idea I've ever fucking heard. I like my swears. It was kinda funny for a bit on April Fools but it just got annoying really quickly.
Nine Volt

Postby itroitnyah » 20 May 2013 14:37

Whoa man, calm down, haha.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Nine Volt » 20 May 2013 14:40

I was kidding :3
I was hoping the overexaggerated 'fucking' would convey that :3
Nine Volt

Postby TranquilHooves » 20 May 2013 15:45

the4thImpulse wrote:Definitely add a karma/reputation thing that can be removed on specific threads or sub forums.

Remove the spam thread from the site completely and then enforce a no spam policy.

Oh jesus yes please that thing is a black hole for creativity.
TranquilHooves

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sick Skrill Wubs™

Postby Nine Volt » 20 May 2013 15:50

For the last fucking time...
Nine Volt

Postby JSynth » 20 May 2013 18:05

Right off the bat, here are my thoughts on these ideas.

Music production wiki

This sounds like a very good idea, I am all for it.

video/radio chat/IRC

Don't we have the #BronyMusic IRC? I rarely chat on there, but when I have my chat client on, it always seems to be pretty active.

work with sci: facelift for toastbeard

Can't see anything wrong with this.

more integration with partnering websites

Yes. That would be very nice to see.

new forum theme

The theme is perfectly fine. I don't see a reason to change it.

tumblr integration/music news blog

Followed

more mods

I don't see a serious need for it. We are a pretty well behaved group in my opinion.
None the less, I might apply.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby Genkar » 20 May 2013 20:47

the4thImpulse wrote:Remove the spam thread from the site completely and then enforce a no spam policy.
Alright, with the whole spam thread thing, I really don't see why people want it gone. I mean, I don't really participate in it, but I'd rather see all the spam in there rather than being all over the site. I guess an IRC integrated into the site would be cool, and maybe a good alternative, but as someone else mentioned, it would make the site hell for anyone on mobile.

DJ Skrudge wrote:Maybe a karma/+1 thing, for use in the technique and/or music sub forum? That might give people a little more incentive to actually review other people's tracks, or provide advice.
As for a karma system (or something of the sorts), it'd be something that'd be cool to have, but I don't really think it's something worth prioritizing.

Circuitfry wrote:work with sci: facelift for toastbeard
I really like the idea of working with sci to get the toastbeard compos more attention. I mean, I don't see how it can be a bad thing, and it'd probably help a lot of the newer musicians get some good practice.

XXDarkShadow79XX wrote:Also, I think a cool addition would be some dedicated genre critique threads. Sticky'd of course. As much as I would love to, I cannot critique an ambient or idm track, or an acoustic cover. Dedicated genre threads will facilitate unhelpful critiques and encourage reviews and song posts by allowing similar music styles to all be in one accessible place.
I also really like the idea of dedicated genre critique threads too. I think if this were to happen though, it would probably be better to have either a whole new sub-forum for it, and then have a bunch of different threads there that follow the format of the "Review the track(s) above you" thread. I have a feeling if they were all in the music forum it would start to get a bit crowded and messy.

Circuitfry wrote:new forum theme
I think a new forum theme would be pretty nice too. I mean, I really don't have a problem with the way it is now, but a change might be good.

I don't have too much of an opinion on the other topics. I mean, more mods might be cool, but it doesn't really seem necessary. And I don't have a tumblr, so I don't know what to think about some kind of news blog.
Percussionist - Electronic Musician In Training
Soundcloud/Youtube/Tumblr
Genkar

Postby Lying Pink » 21 May 2013 11:28

Genkar wrote:I think a new forum theme would be pretty nice too. I mean, I really don't have a problem with the way it is now, but a change might be good.
Yeah, that could be nice. Especially considering that (as far as I remember) you can have multiple theme options installed on PHPBB boards, right? So anyone who's feeling fogeyish could just switch back to the old theme again
Fnord.
Soundcloud | Tumblr | Skype | YouTube | Email
/)__~
</</
Lying Pink

Primary: Reaper
Cutie Mark: Knees

Postby S.P.P » 21 May 2013 15:01

I'm just gonna converge other people's ideas into stuff that might work, because most of it's already been said.

Pony music / non-pony music:
Create subsections within the main boards listing for pony and non-pony. People can then pick and choose which to go visit whenever they so desire.

Karma / titles:
Posted comments have a +1 button underneath for worthwhile and helpful posts (no -1 as it could so easily be abused, just ignore bad quality comments) on applicable boards (ie, no community topics). When a poster aggregates enough positive feedback, they will earn 'titles' or whatever so people know how good their posts are on the whole.

Spam thread phuckery:
Spam / unrelated subforum. Just move our beloved spam thread to said subforum, and watch others like it pop up around.

I'll come back with edits later if I think of 'em.
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 21 May 2013 15:30

Genkar wrote:
XXDarkShadow79XX wrote:Also, I think a cool addition would be some dedicated genre critique threads. Sticky'd of course. As much as I would love to, I cannot critique an ambient or idm track, or an acoustic cover. Dedicated genre threads will facilitate unhelpful critiques and encourage reviews and song posts by allowing similar music styles to all be in one accessible place.

I also really like the idea of dedicated genre critique threads too. I think if this were to happen though, it would probably be better to have either a whole new sub-forum for it, and then have a bunch of different threads there that follow the format of the "Review the track(s) above you" thread. I have a feeling if they were all in the music forum it would start to get a bit crowded and messy.

Gotta agree on that one. The music forum would be a jumbled mess. And also take what I said into account, on behalf of having one central hub thread with all the links in it. And that would be where the general discussion would be, eg. what song goes where, new genre suggestions etc.

And if all else fails, we'll have an "Other" genre thread too. XD
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Postby FlyingNinjaBannanas » 21 May 2013 17:47

Honestly, more integration of the IRC and removing the spam thread would be a good idea. As they suit the same purpose in the sense of quick chatter. Plus the IRC is a tad inconvenient where it is right now, so integration would make everyone's life easier and bring more traffic. Though if the Spam thread is kept, it's not a bad thing. It's just an easily ignorable thread. Though removing the ability to gain post count from it is something I would recommend.

I would have to say no a Karma System however. It would get abused beyond belief. Even by removing the - karma button. This happened so much on an old forum I used to go on. Karma was abused to the point where some people who did nothing to contribute to the forum had thousands and yet people who played a significant role got very little. I think the most helpful people on this forum should be easily found without a number dictating how helpful they are, same with posts. Though I won't complain if it's integrated.
[Insert pointless filler here]
FlyingNinjaBannanas

Cutie Mark: Jack of All Trades

Postby DJ Skrudge » 21 May 2013 17:54

FlyingNinjaBannanas wrote:I would have to say no a Karma System however. It would get abused beyond belief. Even by removing the - karma button. This happened so much on an old forum I used to go on. Karma was abused to the point where some people who did nothing to contribute to the forum had thousands and yet people who played a significant role got very little. I think the most helpful people on this forum should be easily found without a number dictating how helpful they are, same with posts. Though I won't complain if it's integrated.

Whereas I'm currently part of another forum where the karma system works incredibly well, due to a high presence of moderators and a community that is genuinely eager to help one another. I think this forum is actually quite similar to that one in terms of the personalities that frequent it, as well as the quality of the posts. I do agree, though, that the karma system would have a huge potential to be abused, if not monitored closely by mods. That's why I think it might work better once more moderators are in position , rather than the (relatively) small number we have now.
I worship Fluttershy.
DJ Skrudge

Postby Nine Volt » 21 May 2013 17:56

FlyingNinjaBannanas wrote:Honestly, more integration of the IRC and removing the spam thread would be a good idea. As they suit the same purpose in the sense of quick chatter. Plus the IRC is a tad inconvenient where it is right now, so integration would make everyone's life easier and bring more traffic. Though if the Spam thread is kept, it's not a bad thing. It's just an easily ignorable thread. Though removing the ability to gain post count from it is something I would recommend.

I would have to say no a Karma System however. It would get abused beyond belief. Even by removing the - karma button. This happened so much on an old forum I used to go on. Karma was abused to the point where some people who did nothing to contribute to the forum had thousands and yet people who played a significant role got very little. I think the most helpful people on this forum should be easily found without a number dictating how helpful they are, same with posts. Though I won't complain if it's integrated.

Why do you people think we care about post count?
Nine Volt

Postby FlyingNinjaBannanas » 21 May 2013 19:22

Nine Volt wrote:Why do you people think we care about post count?

Because it's quite common to brag about post count, as it makes people feel dominate. "You have 20 post and I have 4000. You must be new here. Why don't you post more and be a part of the community instead of lurking?"z This sort of crap. It's just a common assumption that among a great community, there is bound to be that one jerk that goes for this.

DJ Skrudge wrote:Whereas I'm currently part of another forum where the karma system works incredibly well, due to a high presence of moderators and a community that is genuinely eager to help one another. I think this forum is actually quite similar to that one in terms of the personalities that frequent it, as well as the quality of the posts. I do agree, though, that the karma system would have a huge potential to be abused, if not monitored closely by mods. That's why I think it might work better once more moderators are in position , rather than the (relatively) small number we have now.

I wish I was apart of a forum like that before MLR. Although I do agree that if the Karma system is well monitored it could work out a lot better than without. At least it would prevent abuse. I don't think it'll be too common here however.
[Insert pointless filler here]
FlyingNinjaBannanas

Cutie Mark: Jack of All Trades

Postby Nine Volt » 21 May 2013 19:26

FlyingNinjaBannanas wrote:
Nine Volt wrote:Why do you people think we care about post count?

Because it's quite common to brag about post count, as it makes people feel dominate. "You have 20 post and I have 4000. You must be new here. Why don't you post more and be a part of the community instead of lurking?"z This sort of crap. It's just a common assumption that among a great community, there is bound to be that one jerk that goes for this.

DJ Skrudge wrote:Whereas I'm currently part of another forum where the karma system works incredibly well, due to a high presence of moderators and a community that is genuinely eager to help one another. I think this forum is actually quite similar to that one in terms of the personalities that frequent it, as well as the quality of the posts. I do agree, though, that the karma system would have a huge potential to be abused, if not monitored closely by mods. That's why I think it might work better once more moderators are in position , rather than the (relatively) small number we have now.

I wish I was apart of a forum like that before MLR. Although I do agree that if the Karma system is well monitored it could work out a lot better than without. At least it would prevent abuse. I don't think it'll be too common here however.

I think that people shouldn't be able to get karma in subforums like the community subforum or the my little pony subforum; too much random shit there.

And are there seriously people who brag about post counts? This is the only forum I ever go on, so forgive me if that's common knowledge, but that just sounds so... pathetic?
Nine Volt

Postby JeremiS » 22 May 2013 06:29

OH MY GOD WOW FINALLY
YOU'RE GOING TO MAKE MLR SEXY
Can I help? I can do GUI stuff!
DAW: FL Studio 10
go away you suck if you can read this what? I don't even post I'm a lurker
JeremiS

Primary: FL Studio 10.9
Cutie Mark: House

Postby Alycs » 22 May 2013 06:40

As a moderator on another site, there are people that brag about post counts... its horrible... I really don't see that problem here, though.

Also, I think that a closely modded karma system would be a big plus, as it would act as incentive to get people to help; and also a way for people seeking help to know who is really being helpful and who just gives general, non-helpful advice.
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby Kibbie » 22 May 2013 11:51

You got my skype Circuitfry. If you need any help with stuff just shoot me a message dude. Hoping to bridge those gaps like we had talked about. Would be nice to see cross community events!
Kibbie

Primary: Microsoft Paint
Cutie Mark: D o g e

Postby JSynth » 22 May 2013 11:56

Nine Volt wrote:
FlyingNinjaBannanas wrote:Honestly, more integration of the IRC and removing the spam thread would be a good idea. As they suit the same purpose in the sense of quick chatter. Plus the IRC is a tad inconvenient where it is right now, so integration would make everyone's life easier and bring more traffic. Though if the Spam thread is kept, it's not a bad thing. It's just an easily ignorable thread. Though removing the ability to gain post count from it is something I would recommend.

Why do you people think we care about post count?

On other forums, people get titles based off of the number of posts that they have made.
There are people on those forums who will just post spam to boost their count and get a higher rank. Its a status thing.
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

JSynth

Postby Lying Pink » 22 May 2013 12:20

I propose that we introduce a word filter that replaces all instances of the word "kitchen" with a randomly selected location from the show: "boutique", "library", "bakery", etc.
Fnord.
Soundcloud | Tumblr | Skype | YouTube | Email
/)__~
</</
Lying Pink

Primary: Reaper
Cutie Mark: Knees

Postby Nine Volt » 22 May 2013 13:07

I still think customizable titles would be cool, as long as they're not based on post counts.
Nine Volt

Postby JSynth » 22 May 2013 14:29

Nine Volt wrote:I still think customizable titles would be cool, as long as they're not based on post counts.

customized titles are fun! I enjoy forums that have them.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

JSynth

Postby v.lossity » 22 May 2013 15:47

Just thought Id put in my two cents.

Spam Board: Keep it. If you dont have a garbage can, where does the garbage end up? All over the floor.

Pony vs Non-Pony: Pony. There are tons of online communities for musicians out there that are not pony related at all. If someone wants a community like that, I would just like to point them towards google and let them go look for it. This is THE primary pony musician community. Why compromise that for the few that are here for the wrong reasons? I have no problem with non-pony music, but I feel this is a pony page, and anyone who isn't happy with that should just tolerate it or leave.

I also like the idea of more competition things. R and R really helped me get my butt in gear, so more comps would be great!
v.lossity

Postby S.P.P » 22 May 2013 16:31

Lying Pink wrote:I propose that we introduce a word filter that replaces all instances of the word "kitchen" with a randomly selected location from the show: "boutique", "library", "bakery", etc.
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion