swag\.~*-=Website/Community Feedback for Reboot=-*~./swag

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: swag\.~*-=Website/Community Feedback for Reboot=-*~./swa

Postby ExoBassTix » 18 May 2013 13:05

^
To that I actually have no single problem. I would like that in fact.
As long as the current spam thread remains intact and gets moved there (maybe stickied because of importance :D ).

All forum games can move there too. Then that sub-forum alone could be excluded from ranking and stuff. An excellent solution in my opinion.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Nine Volt » 18 May 2013 13:07

the4thImpulse wrote:
Nine Volt wrote:snip
I'm not 'villainizing' the spam chat or the people that post there either. Sometimes I forget that most people here are just kids.

Wow, 4th. Really? You really tried to pull the age card? Dick move, 4th, dick move.

Also, in the US you wouldn't even legally be allowed to drink yet, so I wouldn't be talking. I know Canada or wherever you are has different laws, but still.
Nine Volt

Postby ExoBassTix » 18 May 2013 13:13

Nine Volt wrote:
the4thImpulse wrote:
Nine Volt wrote:Please, stop. Stop villainizing the people who enjoy or frequent that thread. I always see you saying stuff like this and I have no idea why you hate the spam thread so much, so maybe you should explain so I can get a better idea and maybe have a legitimate discussion. Don't act like it's doing the site any bad though. If anything it's increasing traffic.

Please, Circuitfry, whatever you do, do not remove that thread.
I'm not 'villainizing' the spam chat or the people that post there either. Sometimes I forget that most people here are just kids.

Wow, 4th. Really? You really tried to pull the age card? Dick move, 4th, dick move.

Okay, since I feel offended because I'm a kid, I'm gonna hop in here and make this pointless argument stop.

Guys. Both get over it.

But seriously, impulsio, it is wrong to think of kids as uncapable of understanding maturity and applying that to what we bring out to others around us.
We damn well know (at least the basics of) what is good and what is bad.
So some of us like to spam a thread full with ":3" or "floop". Big deal. Ignore the thread forever if you really dislike it that much.

Yea... Never ever intended for this to happen, but I kinda flip my shitbag when I feel offended. Especially when offended in a way that is immature and offensive for more than just me.
Last edited by ExoBassTix on 18 May 2013 14:34, edited 1 time in total.
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby Lying Pink » 18 May 2013 13:45

ExoBassTix wrote:Yea... Never ever intended for this to happen, but I kinda flip my shitbag when I feel offended. Especially when offended in a way that is immature and offensive for more than just me.
I'm with ya, I found it kind of patronising too (and I'm 23).

Freewave wrote:Well it is primarily an MLP focused site [...] MLR has to be a part of the future if its going to continue for at least awhile longer.
This post cheered me up a lot. It's refreshing to hear someone talk about this fandom's music output without assuming that it's dying on its feet.

I certainly don't like the idea of bulldozing the spam thread, and I like the kudos idea.

Re the idea of a spam subforum: in a lot of ways, isn't that what the Community section is? A kind of catch-all for stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else?

Looking forward to seeing how the Tumblr idea pans out. Ditto the Toastbeard-related skulduggery.
Fnord.
Soundcloud | Tumblr | Skype | YouTube | Email
/)__~
</</
Lying Pink

Primary: Reaper
Cutie Mark: Knees

Postby PropellerEscape » 18 May 2013 14:28

Aside from flaming the spam thread (I like the spam thread :3)
I think a titles thing could be implemented quite nicely for this site, and possibly a music label (which has been pulled off by the IDM forums)
DAW - FL Studio 11

Main VSTs - Harmor, Harmless, Massive, Sytrus and FM8

My Main SoundCloud
My Experimental Soundcloud

Add me on Skype - PropellerEscapeMusic
PropellerEscape

Primary: Flel Studio 11.
Cutie Mark: Synth of Lel

Postby Motivfs » 18 May 2013 15:54

I concur with the idea of site redesign, how you want to do it is up to you, but I feel that "MLR" should stay, but the design should be less "pony".

Now.. I feel this might be a bit tricky, but I feel people should give feedback before posting their songs in the music forum, I don't know if there's a system that can hold the poster from posting his/her song for lets say... 3 posts in the music forum within a 24-hour mark, giving ACTUAL feedback, and then they can post their song. (Pinned threads don't count).

I feel that would get a good system going, but that would more bare on the people of this forum to do it right, rather than going "NICE SONG!" 3 times and moving on to their music. Feedback is such a valuable asset to have when making music, I cannot stress how much harder it is without it, going on and thinking your song is hot shit when it's not, being deceived by yourself.

I notice a lot of people just come here, post their song, and leave, while others just post their song expecting feedback. I think that's rude. We should be a community that helps eachother thrive to get better, I've always been a person that will give out help when I can, but I do expect the same in return at some point, only so many people actually go and do that.

TL:DR The "Review the tracks above me" has worked somewhat well, I'd say it's time to implement that into the whole music forum
Motivfs

Postby Conduit » 18 May 2013 17:57

I definitely support the more emphasis on tutors, and maybe a tutorial of the week or something, that each member of the tutors thread would take a turn writing.

Either a chat dedicated to feedback, or more emphasis on the current sub-forum would be great.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby Raddons » 18 May 2013 21:06

Redesign the whole General Discussion section, remove the spam thread, and tighten spam control. That's really necessary. It's almost unpleasant at points to see some of the spam and just plain immature posting here. Hide the post counts too, for the people that have racked up 1000+ posts in the spam thread alone.

I'll have other ideas when I can actually focus on typing.
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 18 May 2013 21:52

Y'know what'd be cool?

A sample pack event.
Maybe a semiregular one.
Everyone collaborates and builds a sample kit.

Am I the only one who'd love that?
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby DXsmiley » 18 May 2013 23:57

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:Y'know what'd be cool?

A sample pack event.
Maybe a semiregular one.
Everyone collaborates and builds a sample kit.

Am I the only one who'd love that?

I think I saw one of these a while back.
Somebody sampled some strange children's toy if I remember correctly.
DXsmiley

Cutie Mark: Filtered Arpeggios

Postby CDPP » 19 May 2013 00:02

DXsmiley wrote:Somebody sampled some strange children's toy if I remember correctly.

You mean the Twist and Shout sample pack?
http://mylittleremix.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6835
CDPP

Postby DXsmiley » 19 May 2013 01:49

CDPP wrote:
DXsmiley wrote:Somebody sampled some strange children's toy if I remember correctly.

You mean the Twist and Shout sample pack?
http://mylittleremix.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6835

Yes. That. And this.
DXsmiley

Cutie Mark: Filtered Arpeggios

Postby Nine Volt » 19 May 2013 05:41

Raddons wrote:Redesign the whole General Discussion section, remove the spam thread, and tighten spam control. That's really necessary. It's almost unpleasant at points to see some of the spam and just plain immature posting here. Hide the post counts too, for the people that have racked up 1000+ posts in the spam thread alone.

I'll have other ideas when I can actually focus on typing.

Again, the spam thread should not be removed. I'd agree with tighter spam control outside the spam thread though; that I have no problem with. I don't see the point in hiding post counts though; nobody really cares how many posts someone has. At least, I don't.
Nine Volt

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 19 May 2013 06:43

no one forces anyone to go to the spam thread.
Don't wanna see spam?
Don't go to the spam thread.

Shocking concept, I know. In time maybe people will adjust to this radical and unsettling school of thought.

Seriously though, just get over it.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby ExoBassTix » 19 May 2013 07:24

^ exactly what I tried to tell you guys a few times already.
If you don't like what the spam thread does, then just walk past it.
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby Navron » 19 May 2013 09:32

Couple ideas that I will unfortunately have to majorly disagree with that some of you seem in favor for.

On that note, a stronger tutor presence. We have a tutor thread and such but we could do more with it, like a chatroom specifically for it etc.

I don't have the free time to just hang out in a chatroom, tutoring people. If somebody has a specific issue to bring up, nearly every admin, mod, and member is active on skype. The tutor thread already has a list of different people for different genres and techniques. Find who you need to ask, or ask one of the main skype chats.

This also isn't apprenticeship oriented learning. There's a huge amount of information online, so more than likely a tutor is going to refer you to some good tutorials, websites, etc, instead of just flat out spending hours each day teaching someone.

Maybe a karma/+1 thing, for use in the technique and/or music sub forum? That might give people a little more incentive to actually review other people's tracks, or provide advice.

Ooh, ooh, maybe ranks for number of posts, displayed above users' avatars! Like rank 1 is New Member, at 50 posts they become a Contributing Member, 200 posts is Regular Member, 500= Frequent Poster, 1000= Guru (or something). It might also give people that extra push to contribute more to things (although I realize a lot of posts come from the spam thread -_-)

From my experience, these features tend to be abused. It promotes many people to engage in, "post count wars." I've seen it nearly all the time on forums where they have an unregulated post count system.

My recommendation? The karma feature sounds like a good idea, as it tends to be used properly, but I wouldn't recommend a post count feature unless there's a dedicated off-topic section that doesn't contribute towards post count, where things like the spam thread can reside.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Nine Volt » 19 May 2013 10:40

Lemme just pop in here and give my full support for an off-topic subforum. Like, a place where all the threads asking random questions about you can go. The community subforum could be converted into a place for stuff like the Skype Name thread and other general discussions.

Also, I propose a revision to the rules making it so you're not allowed to talk about religion and politics and other hot-button topics. That's just an idea though, I'm not quite sure if would work.
Nine Volt

Postby ExoBassTix » 19 May 2013 11:18

Navron wrote:There's a huge amount of information online, so more than likely a tutor is going to refer you to some good tutorials, websites, etc, instead of just flat out spending hours each day teaching someone.

Does that make me a bad tutor?
Cuz I spent a bit more than an hour to teach someone how to make a decent Hardcore kick...
Even though we knew each other already, and we're even collabing using that kick atm, but still.

And I once spent 2 hours training someone in spotting what details in a song make you want to keep listening to it. And him I didn't know.

Still, I didn't get this idea of tutor-chatrooms before. Ah well, I get it now. And no, it's not something that I would like.
For that, indeed, we have Skype. That's what the tutor thread has always done. Refer those in need for tutoring to the Skype (most of the time) of the one capable of helping.

I just thought that the tutor thread is quite hidden. One really has to find it to get a tutor.
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby KvackPack » 19 May 2013 15:58

I like where this is going! I also hope more people would post here at mlr more often. :3
KvackPack's/Univolved's links:
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Youtube
KvackPack

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 19 May 2013 19:17

I think a nice little touch would be the addition of more subforums. I have been on this site for nearly a year and a half now and I still have no freaking idea what the hell the "sharing is magic" subforum is supposed to be.

Also, I think a cool addition would be some dedicated genre critique threads. Sticky'd of course. As much as I would love to, I cannot critique an ambient or idm track, or an acoustic cover. Dedicated genre threads will facilitate unhelpful critiques and encourage reviews and song posts by allowing similar music styles to all be in one accessible place. You would just post your track, and people would discuss, a la the "Rate my Wubs" thread. There would be a singular hub thread with all of the sub-threads or whatever in it, and of course, new genres could be suggested and carried through with, provided that the threads will be (and stay) active.

It's a stupid idea, yes, but it might just be what this site needs to get those reviews up and running again. :)
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Postby Navron » 19 May 2013 23:35

ExoBassTix wrote:I just thought that the tutor thread is quite hidden. One really has to find it to get a tutor.

The 1 of 3 stickied threads that always stays on the top of the first page in technique is hard to find?
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Watashig » 20 May 2013 01:53

How about a subjective form of Karma? Moderators and Admins can give, say, a title to people who have been giving out good advice or whatnot.
AKA "Wata"
Watashig

Postby ExoBassTix » 20 May 2013 06:00

Navron wrote:
ExoBassTix wrote:I just thought that the tutor thread is quite hidden. One really has to find it to get a tutor.

The 1 of 3 stickied threads that always stays on the top of the first page in technique is hard to find?

Just because it's stickied, it's not suddenly in a font twice as big as the others, not bold(er) or anything. It doesn't stand out.

XXDarkShadow79XX wrote:I think a cool addition would be some dedicated genre critique threads. Sticky'd of course. As much as I would love to, I cannot critique an ambient or idm track, or an acoustic cover. Dedicated genre threads will facilitate unhelpful critiques and encourage reviews and song posts by allowing similar music styles to all be in one accessible place. You would just post your track, and people would discuss, a la the "Rate my Wubs" thread. There would be a singular hub thread with all of the sub-threads or whatever in it, and of course, new genres could be suggested and carried through with, provided that the threads will be (and stay) active.

I personally think you just wrote the best idea of the thread.
This. What DarkShadow said.

Not sure about an actual thread (just one) for one genre though. I'd say, just make sub-sub-forums for the genres, so it's at least more categorized.
But you just got a very good idea in my opinion.
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 20 May 2013 07:14

Watashig wrote:How about a subjective form of Karma? Moderators and Admins can give, say, a title to people who have been giving out good advice or whatnot.

Might cause some arguments..

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby Freewave » 20 May 2013 12:31

ExoBassTix wrote:
Navron wrote:

Just because it's stickied, it's not suddenly in a font twice as big as the others, not bold(er) or anything. It doesn't stand out.

XXDarkShadow79XX wrote:I think a cool addition would be some dedicated genre critique threads. Sticky'd of course. As much as I would love to, I cannot critique an ambient or idm track, or an acoustic cover. Dedicated genre threads will facilitate unhelpful critiques and encourage reviews and song posts by allowing similar music styles to all be in one accessible place. You would just post your track, and people would discuss, a la the "Rate my Wubs" thread. There would be a singular hub thread with all of the sub-threads or whatever in it, and of course, new genres could be suggested and carried through with, provided that the threads will be (and stay) active.

I personally think you just wrote the best idea of the thread.
This. What DarkShadow said.

Not sure about an actual thread (just one) for one genre though. I'd say, just make sub-sub-forums for the genres, so it's at least more categorized.
But you just got a very good idea in my opinion.

Not a bad idea. Since EQD listeners now choose what genres they will listen to just ask those who post to put their tracks in the appropriate larger genre thread so that there can be less threads and more community focus (several tracks in a thread this way). Compile everything to genres threads (kinda like the review the track above your thread) and this would stop people getting so ignored...?
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion