Logic Pro X has been released

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: Logic Pro X has been released

Postby Symphon » 18 Jul 2013 13:39

ChocolateChicken wrote: to know how to form logical opinions.

Guilty of laughing really hard at this. Even if it wasn't a joke.

Anyway, it looks like a more stylized version of Ableton, really. In that aspect, I could see some sick stuff coming from Mac producers soon as it gets more user friendly. Personally, I won't even try to get it as I'm still trying to even figure out Ableton, so I'll stick with FL for a wee bit longer. Looks pretty sweet, though.
DAW: FL Studio 10, Ableton Live 8
Main VSTs: Harmor, Toxic Biohazard, FM8, Sylenth1, Nexus, Sytrus.
Main genres: Trance, Electro
https://soundcloud.com/choonsofficial/the-prodigy-voodoo-people
Symphon

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Trance

Postby Conduit » 18 Jul 2013 14:33

Nine Volt wrote:Logic Remote is just pointless.

Actually, I can see some use for it. Say for example if you had a separate vocal booth, or other recording setup away from your workstation you could start recording from there. I know that 4th uses an iPad both for producing and as part of his live set, and while the Logic Remote doesn't look quite up to par with that software, it's certainly a step in the right direction. At the very least you could use it as an additional screen to do some on the fly adjustments of levels and panning and whatnot.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby Nine Volt » 18 Jul 2013 15:20

Conduit wrote:

Actually, I can see some use for it. Say for example if you had a separate vocal booth, or other recording setup away from your workstation you could start recording from there. I know that 4th uses an iPad both for producing and as part of his live set, and while the Logic Remote doesn't look quite up to par with that software, it's certainly a step in the right direction. At the very least you could use it as an additional screen to do some on the fly adjustments of levels and panning and whatnot.

Pointless in the sense of the fact that almost nobody is going to use Logic for a live set. Ableton has that area covered and will not be stepping down for quite some time at least. The vocal booth part, maybe, but from a general standpoint it's still fairly pointless.

If they're charging for it (I don't recall if they are or not) then that's just total bullshit.
Nine Volt

Postby Symphon » 18 Jul 2013 15:41

Nine Volt wrote:
Conduit wrote:

Pointless in the sense of the fact that almost nobody is going to use Logic for a live set. Ableton has that area covered and will not be stepping down for quite some time at least. The vocal booth part, maybe, but from a general standpoint it's still fairly pointless.

If they're charging for it (I don't recall if they are or not) then that's just total bullshit.

Ableton may be good at live performances, but keep in mind that if someone bought Logic, they're probably not going to just toss out another few hundred dollars for a Mac version of Ableton as well. It's kinda just like how FL adopted performance features as well. Ableton may be good at it, but it's that much better when you're preferred DAW is the only one you need.
DAW: FL Studio 10, Ableton Live 8
Main VSTs: Harmor, Toxic Biohazard, FM8, Sylenth1, Nexus, Sytrus.
Main genres: Trance, Electro
https://soundcloud.com/choonsofficial/the-prodigy-voodoo-people
Symphon

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Trance

Postby HMage » 18 Jul 2013 18:01

Stars In Autumn wrote:I don't use Logic but Apple stopped supporting VSTs after Logic 9. They support AU plugins.

Wrong. Logic never supported VST on mac OSX, and it went OSX exclusive on version 6 when Apple bought Emagic.

So nothing has changed in this regard when moving from 9 to 10.

Where do you guys get this misinformation? I'm intrigued.
HMage

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby MrBronyPlan » 18 Jul 2013 18:15

I've seen people use VST on Logic, because I've seen massive connected to it, unless it was a different format.
Nice.
MrBronyPlan

Primary: FL Studio 12
Cutie Mark: Potato

Postby HMage » 18 Jul 2013 18:47

MrBronyPlan wrote:I've seen people use VST on Logic, because I've seen massive connected to it, unless it was a different format.

Massive supports VST, AU and RTAS plugin formats. Been that way for a long time.
HMage

Primary: Ableton

Postby Stars In Autumn » 18 Jul 2013 23:44

HMage wrote:
Stars In Autumn wrote:I don't use Logic but Apple stopped supporting VSTs after Logic 9. They support AU plugins.

Wrong. Logic never supported VST on mac OSX, and it went OSX exclusive on version 6 when Apple bought Emagic.

So nothing has changed in this regard when moving from 9 to 10.

Where do you guys get this misinformation? I'm intrigued.

Ugh, I dunno I read that in a couple places. Shows you what I know.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby ChocolateChicken » 19 Jul 2013 00:07

Almost every major software developer out there makes their plugins in AU format. This includes every product by Native Instruments, EWQL, Waves, Vengeance, reFX, Izotope, ect. Even Image-Line has quite a few of their products in AU format. So there's no issues with the special format, considering it's pretty abundant and wherever you need it.

And a few people on this thread have mistakenly called Logic Pro X and "upgrade," although this is technically not the case because Logic Pro X is a separate program entirely from Logic Pro 9. Logic X does not replace Logic 9 when you buy it.
ChocolateChicken

Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby Nine Volt » 19 Jul 2013 00:09

ChocolateChicken wrote:And a few people on this thread have mistakenly called Logic Pro X and "upgrade," although this is technically not the case because Logic Pro X is a separate program entirely from Logic Pro 9. Logic X does not replace Logic 9 when you buy it.

Nobody has called Logic Pro X an upgrade. We have said that Logic Pro X should be an upgrade to 9 based on how little it seems to offer despite being a standalone program.
Nine Volt

Postby JSynth » 19 Jul 2013 10:19

JayBrony wrote:The new UI looks nice to me but even if I'm a convinced Logic user I won't buy it. Why? Because at the moment Logic 9 works flawlessly on OS X Lion and as long as I haven't used over 50% of the already existing features I don't see the need for new ones. I recently found out that you can have logarithmic automation curves. No one told me that before so I know where I'm standing right now..

This, plus what Lavender said are a few reasons why I have decided not to get X.

The drummer program won't be that useful to me seeing that I used to be a drummer. I know how to create my own beats.

As for the Melodyne clone? Well, I plan on getting Melodyne soon, so this is not necessary to me.

Also, the fact that I wouldn't be able to use sylenth is a problem. I use that synth a lot.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 19 Jul 2013 15:58

My post got removed, probably because of being rude.

Live is both Mac and PC, you don't need to buy a separate version.

And ChocolateChicken, please stop arguing against peoples opinions. They are entitled to them just as much as you are. Yes, it's not an upgrade. The fact you still keep Logic 9 is pretty moot. Because 9 is badly optimised now post cocoa/rosetta, and hasn't been patched to continue working, and I doubt it'll work on the next version of OSX and it'll get phased out. People who have stayed loyal to Logic and have an ongoing license from 7 or 8, that line is now cut and while it doesn't necessarily matter, it doesn't entice current users to continue using and look elsewhere for a more stable DAW, as there's no reward for loyalty anymore.
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.

Previous

Return to Off-Topic Discussion