Any Skateboard Suggestions?

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Any Skateboard Suggestions?

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 24 Apr 2013 18:51

I think I forgot to tell you guys, but I started skating a few weeks ago. I'm in need of a new... everything, considering my board has been sitting in my garage getting waterlogged for 5 years straight. (Plus my older brother bought it for like $20) So where should I look for in terms of finding a decent board, and what should I spring for in terms of decks/trucks/wheels/companies/etc.

I'm sure at least one of you guys is or was into this stuff at one point or another, right?

:S
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Re: Any Skateboard Suggestions?

Postby topitmunkeydog » 24 Apr 2013 18:58

When I was in third grade my family moved to france for a year and all the kids were into that. I ended up buying a skateboard and never learning it. That whole year I just butt boarded around the Place des Papes. Nowadays I still have it and I just use it for dolly shots in film. I think it's called "Fusion?" No idea if that's a good one or not, but it seems fine to me.
topitmunkeydog

Primary: (trying to learn) ableton
Cutie Mark: yes

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 24 Apr 2013 19:46

TheBronyChip wrote:sorry i cant help you i only longboard

though i can link you the shop i bought my set up from if you want they have everything longboard and skateboard

Well...

That would be nice. (I'm actually kind of considering trying longboarding out someday)
XXDarkShadow79XX

Postby ph00tbag » 24 Apr 2013 21:39

It's been a while since I was really into the skate culture, and even then I was a kickboarder. Bearings and wheels are really the most important bit, if all you're looking for is transportation. IIRC, the top bearing company back when I followed that sort of thing was Spitfire.

I don't really know much more than that, though.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby cplbradley » 24 Apr 2013 22:44

longboarding is better anyways.

but i'd recommend going to a local skate shop and trying some boards out and seeing which feels best.
Honorary Member of the Yoy and Whistle Club
https://soundcloud.com/cplbradley/perfectly-natural
cplbradley

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Distorted Fart Noises

Postby WoodenToaster » 25 Apr 2013 04:57

In terms of decks I've not had anything bad to say about the Element decks I've owned, they're pretty lightweight, sturdy and lasted me for the longest of all the decks I owned. Enjoi is also a brand I really... enjoy. The Death deck I had was way too heavy for my tastes and try to avoid Blueprint when you can, they start fall apart within a month of moderate use.

I've pretty much only ever used Venture trucks so I can't really give ya much advice on what's good and what's not in that area.
WoodenToaster

Postby Magnitude Zero » 25 Apr 2013 18:56

WoodenToaster wrote:lightweight

yes
WoodenToaster wrote:sturdy

Mmm...

When I skated I went through Element decks stupidly fast. They're incredibly light and fun to skate on while they're in one piece, but if you're not careful that isn't a very long time at all. Eventually I switched to a Baker deck, which are a bit on the heavier side but in my experience can handle almost any abuse you can throw at it.

Since you're new, you might not want to shell out a whole lot for a board right away. Getting one custom-built is a waste of money if you don't know which parts to get, and most of it is personal preference. I used to get these Goodwood boards from Wal-Mart for maybe $40 (deck, trucks, bearings, wheels, everything!), which weren't the greatest but worked well enough for the new skater I was with the added bonus of not having a triple-digit price tag.
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby Magnitude Zero » 25 Apr 2013 20:17

TheBronyChip wrote:
Magnitude Zero wrote:personal preference. I used to get these Goodwood boards from Wal-Mart for maybe $40.

please dont do this walmart boards are the worst and it will deter your view of skateboarding imho

you dont have to shell out a lot of money for a good deck even in longboarding

my deck only cost 90$ and its the sweetest ive ridden so far

For learning purposes, it works just fine and you don't have to spend a lot of money on shit you know nothing about. A shitty board will only deter you if you don't enjoy skating in the first place.
Formerly known as Blind

Magnitude Zero

Postby itroitnyah » 26 Apr 2013 05:32

Walmart is good to buy, like, cheap food and clothing from, games and sometimes electronics such as TVs and laptops or iPods and such, but if you're going for real, quality equipment or real amazing quality anything, don't shop at walmart. It's just an unspoken rule, I guess.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby Magnitude Zero » 26 Apr 2013 13:02

We have very different definitions of "not a lot of money", it seems.

*shrug* Whatever, man. It's his money.
Formerly known as Blind

Magnitude Zero

Postby itroitnyah » 26 Apr 2013 14:29

There's probably a local shop downtown where OP lives that he could buy a quality board for not so much, but quality and dirt cheap aren't often seen together without used trailing them close behind.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 26 Apr 2013 19:18

SocalSkateshop.com is fantastic. I think I'll spring for something there.

And herp de derp! I didn't even tell you guys what I was gonna use it for! Honestly, I like riding and cruising down suburban hills, but I think I'd also like to dabble in a tiny bit of street/park skating. (ground tricks, stairs, ramps, etc...) I think an 8 inch cruiser with a nice back that can pop is good. (Looking at the Vision Gators) I can nab some high trucks, 70mm cruisers, some risers to prevent wheel bite, and some smooth yet durable grip.

How does that sound?

EDIT: Also, price isn't really the big deciding factor. I'd really be cool with anything < $200, so long as it lasts and it's damn good. :P
XXDarkShadow79XX

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 26 Apr 2013 20:09

TheBronyChip wrote:sounds good i'd personally get a full trick deck first and then save up for a long board if you want to cruise / hit up some hills still

or if you are more into cruising / hitting up hills i'd get a longboard first and then save up for a trick board

Sorry, but I'm not too interested in longboarding. In fact, I think I'll go with a cruiser/old school board. (Practically the opposite of a LB; it's short and fat) I want something that can do street-related things, but is more geared towards cruising. A hybrid cruiser does just that.

Idk. I'm just gonna have to go for it.

Edit: Actually I'm not sure if the board I'm looking at has the concave backing that hybrid boards have, so it may just be a reissue/cruiser. Idk, but it still looks sexy as hell. I'll tell you guys the parts I'm currently looking at if you guys would like to know.
XXDarkShadow79XX

Postby cplbradley » 26 Apr 2013 22:50

TheBronyChip wrote:
Magnitude Zero wrote:personal preference. I used to get these Goodwood boards from Wal-Mart for maybe $40.

please dont do this walmart boards are the worst and it will deter your view of skateboarding imho

you dont have to shell out a lot of money for a good deck even in longboarding

my deck only cost 90$ and its the sweetest ive ridden so far

What's the brand? I refuse to believe a $90 dollar longboard is any good. My friend bought a $150 board from zumiez and it was absolute garbage. My board costed $280 dollars. The deck itself was $160. With 40 dollar wheels, 40 dollar bearings, and 40 dollar trucks. Plus add $60 for the slide gloves, $30 for the helmet, and $45 for the pads.

My setup is about $400
Honorary Member of the Yoy and Whistle Club
https://soundcloud.com/cplbradley/perfectly-natural
cplbradley

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Distorted Fart Noises

Postby vladnuke » 27 Apr 2013 22:21

New board, learning how to skate.
vladnuke

Postby Fl Brony » 01 May 2013 17:03

I like to go with element boards, seeing how I have one that has yet to snap on me yet *knock on wood* I like to choose Venture trucks, Spitfire bearings, and Hubba street sweeper wheels.
I rap, make teh electronics, and try to be br00tz.
I also go by JokerCard for non pony stuff
My Youtube
My Soundcloud
I have a Tumblr...
I have a Twitter or something...

Fl Brony

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 01 May 2013 18:28

Alrighty! Thanks for the response guys! I've decided to go with:

Vision Gator 2 Re-Issue Deck
10.25x29.75 - Silver/Black
Trucks: Ace 66 Trucks Hi Raw (9.5" axle)
Wheels: Kryptonics Classic K Wheels Black 70mm 80a
Bearings: Black Panther Bearings Abec-3 w/Spacers
Risers: Khiro Truck Drop-Thru Risers Split Shock 1/8
Griptape: Madrid Flypaper Black Griptape 10x36
Hardware: SCS Standard Free Mounting Hardware

If anything looks/is bad, please tell me cause I want to order this very soon.

P.S. The total cost is $146, plus $13 dollar ground shipping. (From Fedex, not SCS. Pretty dang cool of those guys if you ask me)
XXDarkShadow79XX

Return to Off-Topic Discussion