MLP guitars

Non-music works of yours and others' making. Art, poetry, fimfics, and more. Member specific threads are encouraged (e.g. a sketchbook).

MLP guitars

Postby Foxtrot89 » 12 Jul 2012 15:02

So, I had this seven string guitar that I had salvaged parts off of. Basically, I took the tone pot and just about every screw from the seven string and put it into a six string I'd build from scratch. (It's an explorer, for those who care.) Anyway, the body for the seven string guitar had been lying around for a few months and I was about to throw it out when I decided to strip it down and re-paint it. So I did. My girlfriend half jokingly suggested a pony themed guitar, so that's what I did. I painted it a pastel sky blue and gave it Rainbow Dash's cutie mark. That's as far as I got with that guitar, which I may upload pictures later but for now it remains looking kinda pretty but not so very functional. It had given me the idea to perhaps work on a set, currently 3 of which are in the works. I have the Rainbow Dash seven string just hanging out in my room, waiting for me to save up a few hundred bucks so that I can slap a decent set of pickups/tuners on it. Currently being painted, I have a telecaster that will inevitably end up being Rarity themed. And then there's the Twilight Sparkle stratocaster that I just got finished with in these past few days. It was fairly cheap, costing around $200-$300. It was initially just going to be a decoration for the hell of it, but it actually turned out sounding pretty decent. Anywho, if there's an interest in this, I'll upload pictures of the others as I go along, but for now I only have pictures of the strat clone.

http://pigbenisxiii.deviantart.com/#/d56ve2n

The picture doesn't quite do it justice, especially the headstock, but it gives a decent idea of what it looks like.
Foxtrot89

Re: MLP guitars

Postby Versilaryan » 12 Jul 2012 15:31

That's pretty awesome! I'd totally play that live. xD
Versilaryan

Postby Facade » 12 Jul 2012 16:15

thats awesome!
i painted RBD's cutie mark on my electric guitar :D
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Foxtrot89 » 12 Jul 2012 18:41

Kyoga wrote:I didn't decorate my guitar, but I've got a lot of color on my guitar. XD

I've owned probably 6-7 guitars before these pony ones, 3 of which I currently still own/use. All but one was devoid of any color. It's hilarious all lined up; black guitar, black guitar, black guitar, pastel gumdrop guitar.

These are things my friends don't know about me!
Foxtrot89

Postby MudPony » 13 Jul 2012 00:26

Nice job on the guitar.
MudPony

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 13 Jul 2012 21:19

I've only owned 3. One of them is an 8 string, which must stay perfect.

I might go ahead and fuck up my old strat ripoff.

If I ever want a pony on my 8 string, I'm leaving that to a pro.
ChromaticChaosPony

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Versilaryan » 13 Jul 2012 21:25

I've just got my one electric, which has a REALLY nice quilted maple finish. So no painting over it.
Versilaryan

Postby Foxtrot89 » 13 Jul 2012 21:51

Versilaryan wrote:I've just got my one electric, which has a REALLY nice quilted maple finish. So no painting over it.

Yeah, no chance in hell I'd do it either. I've actually been wanting a guitar with a nice flamed or quilted maple top. All of the stuff I have now (and have had over the years for that matter) has a solid finish. Quilted/Flamed maple is darn sexy.

The twilight guitar was a really ugly piece of wood, actually.
Foxtrot89

Postby Versilaryan » 14 Jul 2012 01:52

Quilted maple is sexy. Especially when you get up close -- it shimmers and sparkles all sorts of different colors and it's just awesome.

Foxtrot89 wrote:The twilight guitar was a really ugly piece of wood, actually.

Good thing you made it pretty. =P
Versilaryan

Postby Foxtrot89 » 14 Jul 2012 13:54

ChromaticChaosPony wrote:I've only owned 3. One of them is an 8 string, which must stay perfect.

I might go ahead and fuck up my old strat ripoff.

If I ever want a pony on my 8 string, I'm leaving that to a pro.

Oh, hey, what kind of eight string? I have one, soon to be two. May end up hocking my schecter after I get the new one.
Foxtrot89

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 14 Jul 2012 15:07

I have a Schecter Omen 8. Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done very well. I will not risk ruining a functional guitar.
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby Foxtrot89 » 14 Jul 2012 15:22

What type of paint job? I've got the satin walnut/whatever the hell it's called. It's purdy, but the pickups are kinda crap. Not sure if I should replace them, especially since I have something better likely falling in my lap soon.
Foxtrot89

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 14 Jul 2012 17:58

I think it's walnut. Putting a pony on that would look tacky.

I think that it would look better if I bought and ponified this guitar:

The Ibanez RG471AH is a perfectly clean canvas and is great for djent. Especially if I load it up with Bareknuckle pickups.

Seriously, it has a clean wood finish. You can practically paint anything onto it.

Bad thing is that I don't have $400 for the guitar, $200-500 for a profession paint job (to add the ponies), or $200 for Bareknuckle pickups. I would need a job first. Seeing as how I'm 15, I can't really get a job.
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby SpyPie » 15 Jul 2012 02:59

Versilaryan wrote:That's pretty awesome! I'd totally play that live. xD
Long Live the glory of the swarm and it's queen.
~
My Soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/mootaboot
SpyPie

Postby Foxtrot89 » 15 Jul 2012 17:17

ChromaticChaosPony wrote:text

I was debating putting a warpig in my seven string. As for that guitar you posted, you could probably get djent tones out of it, but it's a sixer. Djent commonly uses dropped sevens, which would be a bit of a stretch for a six.

Rondomusic has a couple of cheap 7 strings. (~$200) the electronics aren't the best, but they work well enough. Also, the finish doesn't really matter if you're gonna refinish it. Unless you get bare wood (which requires it's own difficulty in prep depending on the wood.) You're going to need to sand it down. Even the pic you posted is probably a high gloss guitar that you'll need to sand down.

You'd never guess by looking at it that my rainbow dash guitar used to be high gloss and black. I'll upload pics.Of the body after I get home from work in a couple hours.

(Sorry about crap grammar and botched sentences. Proof reading/editing is impossible from this POS DROID x.)
Foxtrot89

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 15 Jul 2012 20:44

I have an 8 string already. I really don't need a 7. Besides, by using an 8 string as a 7 with one extra low string, I can sound like Meshuggah.

However, I need something that can play in Drop C or Drob B. For the lighter stuff. All New Materials style djent. My current 6 string is good for most genres, but lacks that high output attack that gives you an awesome djent tone. I could probably solve that by replacing the pickups though... And it looks rediculously for djent. It looks more like something to use for black metal. Damn Jackson Rhoads, y u no look cool for djent?

And Jackson Soloist, y u so expensive? I like Jackson guitars a lot, but I can't afford them. They're great for shredding and are good for almost any genre.

Either that or I could say screw djent, prog metal FTW and buy a PRS studio... But I don't have $2500.
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby MorteMcAdaver » 16 Jul 2012 01:26

I had a B.C. Rich Warlock that Chrysalis might have liked...

Ahem, but anyway! That's a rather magnificent guitar you have there! I've been playing this for most of my rockin' career. Perhaps it's time I follow your lead and add some pony(AND BY THAT I MEAN CHANGELING) elements to my instruments...
MorteMcAdaver's SoundCloud
http://www.youtube.com/mortemcadaver

Glory to Chrysalis.

Pandora's Toybox (Cynical/Gothic Circus Rock)
Sorrowseed (Melodic Apocalyptic Metal)
Blacksoul Seraphim (Fallen Angelic Doom)
MorteMcAdaver

Postby Foxtrot89 » 16 Jul 2012 08:33

MorteMcAdaver wrote:I had a B.C. Rich Warlock that Chrysalis might have liked...

Ahem, but anyway! That's a rather magnificent guitar you have there! I've been playing this for most of my rockin' career. Perhaps it's time I follow your lead and add some pony(AND BY THAT I MEAN CHANGELING) elements to my instruments...

I generally really don't like B.C. Rich instruments, but a warlock would definitely make a slick looking Chrysalis guitar. If I ever stumble onto a cheap/free warlock/warlock knock off I may do that. At the very least, it'd be one hell of a decoration.

ChromaticChaosPony wrote:I have an 8 string already. I really don't need a 7. Besides, by using an 8 string as a 7 with one extra low string, I can sound like Meshuggah.

However, I need something that can play in Drop C or Drob B. For the lighter stuff. All New Materials style djent. My current 6 string is good for most genres, but lacks that high output attack that gives you an awesome djent tone. I could probably solve that by replacing the pickups though... And it looks rediculously for djent. It looks more like something to use for black metal. Damn Jackson Rhoads, y u no look cool for djent?

And Jackson Soloist, y u so expensive? I like Jackson guitars a lot, but I can't afford them. They're great for shredding and are good for almost any genre.

Either that or I could say screw djent, prog metal FTW and buy a PRS studio... But I don't have $2500.

I'm from the school of thought that a diverse collection of guitars is good to have. The variation you can have from one guitar to the next is limitless. That way, if one guitar doesn't get you the exact sound you want, just pick up another. Between different wood types, bridge types (trem or fixed), pickups, strings and how many strings you have, you can have vastly different sounding guitars. Kind of like having a wide assortment of tools.

I actually recommend getting a project guitar. Find out what type of guitar you really want, and get a cheapo version of one. Replace parts as you go along to make the ideal guitar. So long as you can find a cheap guitar made of the right wood, with the right amount of strings, right bridge style and right neck type, you can really change just about everything else. The only thing that really matters is build quality. Cheap guitars tend to have crappy quality control, so you're likely to run into a bunch of crappy guitars in the cheap range. But one (for example) low tier Epiphone may be a big pile of shit when another of the same model is absolutely wonderful. You just have to test them out.

You also seem to have a healthy affinity for extended range guitars and bands that use them. Not sure how broad your taste in metal is, but if you haven't already checked him out, look up Keith Merrow on youtube. He's got a lot of 7-string stuff going on and does the odd time signature thing fairly frequently. Not sure if you classify him as djent, but if I remember right he does have some older songs that are pretty djenty. "Cosmogenesis" has a little bit of a buttersnips and icarus lives vibe to the opening riffs, so maybe start there?

Oh yeah, the Rainbow Dash guitar. http://pigbenisxiii.deviantart.com/#/d57k12d The pictures don't do these things justice. They're nice n' smooth with the slightest amount of shine to them.

I'm particularly looking forward to finishing this one. If all goes to plan, that should be next month.
Foxtrot89

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 17 Jul 2012 09:37

Tosin Abasi is the reason I even bought an 8 string guitar in the first place.

Good thing too. I just started learning to play slap guitar. I picked it up in less than 3 hours, and it sounds better on an 8 string than a 7. The 8 string gives more percussive attack than the 7, so I can use it as a guitar and a bass at the same time.

Also, if when I put a pony on my guitar, it will probably be Trixie, because Trixie is best pony.
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby Foxtrot89 » 17 Jul 2012 10:10

I commonly drop tune the 8th string to an E, actually. With a bit of EQ, it has a really great bass tone. My fingers are too fat and clumsy for picking up slapping on guitar easily, though I do have a decent enough grasp of it on bass. (not that I'm exceptionally good at bass.)

Tosin is one of my favorite guitarists, by the way. Right there with Keith Merrow, whose music I like more despite it being technically less challenging.
Foxtrot89

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 17 Jul 2012 10:30

I usually use the same, Tosin Abasi-esque tuning. I picked up some slapping earlier today, and I'm not too bad at it. 3 hours and I reached 108 bpm 8th note triplets.

Also, I'm working on making a prog metal song on the 8 string (obviously it has to do with ponies). I wanted to eventually add lyrics to it. It's also based on sus4 chords. My main problem is that when I'm the only guitarist, it's hard to write riffs for two guitars. And hard to record.

Would you be interested in collabing?
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby Foxtrot89 » 17 Jul 2012 11:56

I can't promise I'd get stuff done, but I could give it a shot for sure. Just give me an idea of what you'd need and I'll see what I can do.
Foxtrot89

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 17 Jul 2012 12:01

I'll record the riffs in a few days once I can play them up to speed.
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby Blitz-13 » 17 Aug 2012 10:15

I would sooooo love it to customize my own guitar(s) with ponies, if I was actually talented in artistry. But since I am not in that field, I need to save up money and get Jackson or B.C. Rich, or really anyone to build and custom paint them. I use a Washburn, and REALLY gets a bunch of stuff done for me. It looks kinda like this:http://farm1.static.flickr.com/47/141279073_965f2b21b8.jpg
But that's not my picture. I just google'd it. My camera will make it look so much worse. I just hope I get a new amplifier soon so I can showcase my guitar skills with everypony!
DAW: FL Studio 10
Genres: Electronic (learning), Rock, Metal, anything else along those lines.
New discovery: Mandopony's Vinyl Scratch Battle Theme on guitar... if I can upload it, I just may be the first!
Blitz-13

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Metallic eighth note

Postby FLAOFEI » 22 Aug 2012 07:39

On a not completley different topic
A little Wip. Never gonna use these on real drumms though, maby digital drumms, but I dont wanna ruin them.
(This happened when I was bord)
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Next

Return to Pony Fan Works Gossip