How Do Be Better In Photoshop?

Non-music works of yours and others' making. Art, poetry, fimfics, and more. Member specific threads are encouraged (e.g. a sketchbook).

How Do Be Better In Photoshop?

Postby Raddons » 25 Jun 2012 23:39

4 reelz guys.

I do my own Photoshops for my song art, and as you can see they are very "flat". Do you guys have any tips for making them stand out more?
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: How Do Be Better In Photoshop?

Postby LunchBagMusic » 26 Jun 2012 01:04

Subtlety.
It's difficult to define and even harder to teach. Look at great examples of design (especially typography)* and try too see what makes them look so... good.

I have no hope of telling what to do, but knowing that your designs are lacking means you will improve with practice. If you are out of ideas, try sketching/designing for other songs that you haven't written to practice with.
LunchBagMusic

Postby Raddons » 26 Jun 2012 13:59

Yeah, I've noticed that practice makes perfect. My first examples are cringe-worthy... But yeah, I'm trying to open Photoshop at least once a night to try and work something out just for the sake of doing it to get better :D
Raddons

Postby inkBot » 26 Jun 2012 14:40

Since you're working with Photoshop I have a simple, but useful, tip for you. Proofing.
Photoshop has functionality built into it to show how the picture image will look in different situations. CMYK, RBG, Color blindness, gamut warning, etc.

Since you're concerned your pictures look flat you'll want to be using the "sGray" setup. It's not one of the default setups but you can add it through the "Custom..." dialog. All it does is strip away the colors and leave you with only the values (grayscale), but without altering the image to do so. From that you can judge if your picture will pop or not, since values that lies close to each other will blend together. It is generally easier to judge if an image pops or not when the image is values only.

I took one of your pictures you posted and did this, and this is the result.

On the left is your original picture and the one with sGray is on the right.

The proofing tools are located under the "View" menu.
inkBot

Postby Versilaryan » 26 Jun 2012 15:40

One thing you can do, and this is a purely unprofessional opinion, is make the backgrounds so that the foregrounds pop out more. You have some minimalistic designs, which isn't a bad thing, but it makes it harder to bring things to the foreground. Choose where your colors change to bring out the greatest contrast between the background and the foreground. For example, in the Trixie one, you could've moved the lighter blues behind Trixie and/or the text, so that they're more visible and stand out more from the background. As it goes right now, the background blue is too similar to Trixie's blue and the purple you used for the text, making it hard to read and generally not bringing much attention to the important parts at all.

Another thing to pay attention to is where the eyes are naturally drawn. Discord's a perfect example because he's pointing at the text, which is the main focal point. If the viewer's eyes start on any part of Discord, they'll be drawn to where he's gesturing to and end up on the text. Meanwhile, with Pinkie, she's kind of standing off on the side, doing her own thing and not really pointing to the text at all, creating a bit of a rift between the text and the picture.
Versilaryan

Postby Raddons » 26 Jun 2012 16:29

inkBot wrote:The proofing tools are located under the "View" menu.

Sadly, I don't have access to these tools because I only have Photoshop Elements :(

edit: I'm actually figuring it out in GIMP at the moment. Thanks!

Versilaryan wrote:One thing you can do, and this is a purely unprofessional opinion, is make the backgrounds so that the foregrounds pop out more. You have some minimalistic designs, which isn't a bad thing, but it makes it harder to bring things to the foreground. Choose where your colors change to bring out the greatest contrast between the background and the foreground. For example, in the Trixie one, you could've moved the lighter blues behind Trixie and/or the text, so that they're more visible and stand out more from the background. As it goes right now, the background blue is too similar to Trixie's blue and the purple you used for the text, making it hard to read and generally not bringing much attention to the important parts at all.

Another thing to pay attention to is where the eyes are naturally drawn. Discord's a perfect example because he's pointing at the text, which is the main focal point. If the viewer's eyes start on any part of Discord, they'll be drawn to where he's gesturing to and end up on the text. Meanwhile, with Pinkie, she's kind of standing off on the side, doing her own thing and not really pointing to the text at all, creating a bit of a rift between the text and the picture.

Hmm... I'll have to figure out how to do that in application. I think I am going to tinker with the Trixie one now. Thanks for the insight. I should really take a class on this :oops:
Raddons

Postby inkBot » 26 Jun 2012 16:44

Cloud wrote:Sadly, I don't have access to these tools because I only have Photoshop Elements :(

Oh, ok. You can achieve the same effect by changing the image to grayscale. Though you'll have to change it back to continue working, which is why proofing is usefull.

Contrast is key to making things pop.
inkBot

Postby senntenial » 26 Jun 2012 20:16

To elaborate what ink it said, I love complementary colors. I'm still a noob at graphics, but putting colors like yellow and purple, and orange and blue work well. Just look at some movie posters, tons of them are good examples.
My website with free music resources
18 year old full stack web dev and designer
senntenial
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ponies are for losers

Postby inkBot » 26 Jun 2012 20:39

I remembered this thing: http://colorschemedesigner.com/
Useful if you're not all that good with color theory (at when least picking colors that play of each other well ).
inkBot

Postby Raddons » 26 Jun 2012 22:34

inkBot wrote:I remembered this thing: http://colorschemedesigner.com/
Useful if you're not all that good with color theory (at when least picking colors that play of each other well ).

I used to be real into it. I'm going to brush up on it. I have that link bookmarked now. Thanks :D
Raddons

Return to Pony Fan Works Gossip