Brony Grammys

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Brony Grammys

Postby ganondox » 30 Jul 2014 08:50

One problem with most lists of best songs in the brony music for the year is underrepresentation of certain styles of music, making the brony music scene seem less diverse than it actually is. I think one way to solve this, as well as generally add some freshness to the presentation of brony music, is to instead of creating a long ordered list of top songs for the year is to instead just select a single top song for each of numerous categories ala the Grammies. These categories are based on genre (depending on the genre there may be separate instrumental and vocal categories), and there will be both an album and song category for each genre. The exact genres will be selected in order to cover a wide range of different genres, but to also only cover genres which there is enough brony music to select a top songs/albums from. Eg. there probably isn't enough brony blues to separate it out from acoustic music (or rock), but while there is probably enough brony EDM to easily cover all the genres listed on The Brony Musician Directory, I don't think it's worthwhile to separate it into more than three or so subgenres. Here are genres I can think of so far:

Acoustic
Orchestral
Bass Music (Dubstep, electrohouse, dnb, ect.)
Rock
Metal (includes post-hardcore)
Ambient
Experimental (includes IDM, Prog, and Post-rock)
Industrial (includes any dark electronic music, not strictly industrial)
Pop
Trance?
Rap

As for choosing the award winner in each category, I'd like their to be a balance between public and private selection, as the prior is biased towards well known artists, and the latter towards personal tastes. The way I'm thinking of doing it is to form a small committee for each genre. People can submit songs or albums to the committees, which ultimately nominate 5 or so songs (and maybe just select a single album). The nominations can then publicly voted on to decide the winner for the award. The winners can then all be posted together.

What do you think of the idea? I'm not a fan of the grammys by any means and there isn't anyway to objectively select a best song, but I think this will be a good way to bring some life and showcase a range of songs.
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Re: Brony Grammys

Postby Freewave » 30 Jul 2014 10:40

Definitely not a bad idea.

I'd prob include a lot more genres to be fair
http://bronymusiciandirectory.blogspot. ... ction.html such as
and it would have to be likely FOR 2014 or yearless if you wanna include a whole lot more music including far older stuff. Tough thing is you get nominations and then vote on them so you'd need ample participation on both fronts. Grammy voting is done BY other musicians not the public so something to keep in mind. Since most musicians do not actively listen to other musicians that will make it harder then you think....
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby ganondox » 05 Aug 2014 21:31

Freewave wrote:Definitely not a bad idea.

I'd prob include a lot more genres to be fair
http://bronymusiciandirectory.blogspot. ... ction.html such as
and it would have to be likely FOR 2014 or yearless if you wanna include a whole lot more music including far older stuff. Tough thing is you get nominations and then vote on them so you'd need ample participation on both fronts. Grammy voting is done BY other musicians not the public so something to keep in mind. Since most musicians do not actively listen to other musicians that will make it harder then you think....

Yeah, some more genres could probably be good, but I don't think it would even be possible to do all the ones from the directory as I'm not sure if there even have been any country albums in the past year.

Well, I want this to be continued, so there are three ways we can do it. Either we just start from now, make it be yearless first and then switch to by year, or do a series of retrospective votings for each year until we catch up.

I guess we can cut the final voting out if it's hard to get spread this by the time it's to select votes, but the initial submitting will make up for the lack of musicians listening to other brony music, the people just need to listen to what is submitted in the genre they are covering and nominate any others they know of which are good. So yeah, it's essential to have that . If you can get the people who do the top songs of the months to feed us their raw votes it would be easy.
ganondox

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 13 Aug 2014 14:20

This doesn't sound like a bad idea at all.
Bronies Are Cool

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Snowboard

Postby ph00tbag » 28 Aug 2014 22:05

Hey, I like trance as much as the next guy that almost exclusively writes trance tunes, but a trance genre with nothing of any of the other EDM genres kinda cuts out a good swath of music, dontcha think?

I like the idea of this, although a lot of the limitations mentioned are worth considering.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 29 Aug 2014 13:24

A committee could be made for this if it had enough interest, but I doubt that there is even word set out about this really.
Like, idk nobody seems to interested in this
Bronies Are Cool

Cutie Mark: Snowboard

Postby ganondox » 29 Aug 2014 23:00

ph00tbag wrote:Hey, I like trance as much as the next guy that almost exclusively writes trance tunes, but a trance genre with nothing of any of the other EDM genres kinda cuts out a good swath of music, dontcha think?

I like the idea of this, although a lot of the limitations mentioned are worth considering.

Well, I was trying to think of the best way to split up EDM without just putting a generic EDM category (but I guess we can have that) or splitting it into too many groups. I guess techno makes more sense than trance, if hardcore is included.
ganondox

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic