Pony Rock Operas

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Pony Rock Operas

Postby ganondox » 12 May 2014 12:07

Anyone have a complete list of pony rock operas/concept albums? For the sake of keeping things clear simple, single songs can be included if they can easily be divided into subsongs, eg. Something Broke. However, this is not always clear, so I've noted such. Instrumental albums can not be included, otherwise we'd have twice as many Heylasfas albums and a flood of others as well. The plot can be related to show or to fanfiction, but whatever it is, it needs to have a narrative of some sort. The narrative doesn't need to be clear and it doesn't have to be narrated as opposed to sung, it can be ambiguous monologuing like in "I'm So Sorry", but together the parts of the song or the different songs need to make an underlining story. Musicals can be included as well, as long as it's pony based and can be listened to in audio form. I'm not limiting this to rock, it's just almost all the concept albums I know that qualify are rock. I'm going to divide this into released and unreleased. Unreleased will not differentiate between upcoming and canceled, as that's not always clear.

Released:
Progress - Derpy Grooves
Something Broke - Tarby
Of Great and Powerful Things- Pinkie Guy
Nightfall- Heylasfas
I'm Sorry- Cats Millionare
Crooked - Mathmaticus and Dr Dycer (not sure if this one quite counts because of the chorus-verse structure, making it maybe just a long narrative song, still the verses are listed as acts)
Autumn Nights - Jeff Burgess
Moonrise - L-train
Destiny - Heylasfas
The Pink Side of the Moon - 4EverFreeBrony

Unreleased:
Daddy Discord - Sand Josieph
Forever Broken - Tarby
Someone Like Her - Heylasfas
Lunestia - M_Pallente
My Little Musical

Anyone know of any others?
Last edited by ganondox on 28 Jul 2014 12:13, edited 4 times in total.
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Re: Pony Rock Operas

Postby Freewave » 12 May 2014 18:04

Sorry what do you mean by unreleased? Those are ones they leaked wips or single tracks from? Your looking for full albums?

Don't forget Jeff Burgess's Autumn Nights concept album. He's got a background in musical theater so it very much has that type of feel. http://jeffburgess.bandcamp.com/album/autumn-nights

How about Daddy Discord for a single track:

Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby ganondox » 13 May 2014 05:04

Freewave wrote:Sorry what do you mean by unreleased? Those are ones they leaked wips or single tracks from? Your looking for full albums?

Don't forget Jeff Burgess's Autumn Nights concept album. He's got a background in musical theater so it very much has that type of feel. http://jeffburgess.bandcamp.com/album/autumn-nights

How about Daddy Discord for a single track:

Drat, I knew I forgot one, I'm a big fan of Burgess so I really should have remembered that one.

By unreleased I mean it's been announced, but it cannot be listened to in it's entirety. I guess if it's leaked and finished it would count as released, but I'm not sure if any of that's actually happened.

As for that Daddy Discord, I don't think that counts as while it has a narrative and different parts, none of the parts could really stand alone; they are too short, feel like typical songs parts like intro or bridge, and don't really have independent ideas progressing on the core narrative. As a rule of thumb I think mini-rock operas would have to be close to ten minutes in order to work, but the bottom line is really if the author divides into different acts, which can be seen in Progress, Crooked (still iffy about including this one, because despite it's length it's song structure is pretty typical), Of Great and Powerful Things, and Something Broke. Tarby also has Born Crossed Eyed, which is over 10 minutes long, has several clear sections, and a progressing narrative, but it's not framed as having multiple acts, so it's just a progressive rock song. However, if I recall correctly, the other Daddy Discord was part of a larger musical project that got canceled, so said project could be counted as an unreleased project.
ganondox

Postby ganondox » 28 Jul 2014 12:14

Bumping as 4everfreebrony released his concept album, go check it out!
ganondox

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic