How you deal with the haters

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Re: How you deal with the haters

Postby Nosnibormada » 12 Mar 2012 17:24

lul My little brother could technically count as a hater as he cannot understand my love if the show and fandom and he refuses to watch it when I tell him it's the only way to judge it. How do I deal with his criticism? I just answer any cynical questions he has honestly and stand proud in the wake of his cynicism. Thankfully though, we do get on well enough for the conversation to actually remain friendly.

As for internet haters, ignore them. If they're hating but haven't seen the show then they're just being stubborn and potentially missing out. If they have seen the show and simply don't like it (like one of my friends) then I actually say that's okay. Personal taste cannot be changed and people are always entitled to personal taste on such things if they've properly given them a chance.
I like music, and I hope that music likes me back.
Nosnibormada

Postby Laqing » 12 Mar 2012 22:01

Criticism,
the one word I hate the most when it comes to judging people :C..

Hmm, you could always not feed him with negativity and move along,
always works for me 70 out of 30% of the times..
Laqing

Postby Navron » 13 Mar 2012 19:31

60% of the time it works every time.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby colortwelve » 13 Mar 2012 19:57

My big brother tells me he's tried to watch it - but I don't believe him, as he's not one to try something he doubts he'll like (he doesn't like much in the first place, his iPod only has about 300 songs on it). For some reason, he insists on hanging out with my friends at school, all of whom are bronies, and just sighs in frustration whenever we start talking about the show or anything related. I try to ignore him, but sometimes it's difficult. I try to suggest the logical solution - don't hang out with people who tend to talk about things you hate with an unusual passion. But for some reason, he never listens. So at this point it's just sort of unspoken between us that he hates it beyond reason and I love it to a similar extent.

And oddly enough, I've never run into any Internet haters. But then, I can be shockingly innocent when it comes to the Tubes.
Youtube -- Soundcloud -- Tumblr -- Bandcamp (new album out!)

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Postby vladnuke » 13 Mar 2012 20:37

Lol, I've never personally encountered anybody too virulent (except colortwelve's brother). I often encounter youtube commenters (read: lizard people with computers) who seem to despise the show for no reason other than the memetic nature of it. These people are usually pretty stupid and angry, so I don't really talk to them. I mean, I don't think I've encountered the kind of people they seem to be angry about (outside of /b/, but they've always been sick fucks). Anyway, I know there is a tiny group of Tartlets who are pissy at bronies, and there's a tiny steam group, and a tiny *insert here* group, but there are like 2000 people between all of them, opposed to the gigantic amount of bronies. I like the show not just because it's cool, but because the fanbase is creative, fun, and cool. I went to a meetup, and I met Penstroke(guy who wrote "Past Sins") and after the convention was over, he let us party at his apartment. Aside from him, there were other writers, artists, producers and all sorts of cool people at the meetup, all brought together by a show about ponies. Things like that, and by proxy things like this, are what makes the community great. So whenever someone says that bronies are a bunch of no-life, forever-alone losers, one tends to be dismissive, because that someone has no idea about they're talking about.

Then again, why the hell would anybody take an internet insult seriously? We're all dogs who've learned to type.
vladnuke

Postby colortwelve » 13 Mar 2012 21:17

vladnuke wrote:We're all dogs who've learned to type.

Youtube -- Soundcloud -- Tumblr -- Bandcamp (new album out!)

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Postby Spark » 16 Mar 2012 05:09

Supersaw Hoover wrote:I become Pinkie Pie.

You can't argue with absurdity.

Amen.

How I deal with them:

L&T
Spark

Postby StellaRbRoNyBeaTz » 16 Mar 2012 19:10

I just ignore arrogant comments, that or ask them if they need a hug :3. But when someone asks a question like "why do guys watch a show made for twelve year old girls?" I try to reason with them, usually ends in "Oh well, to each their own." Guess thats not so bad -.-
StellaRbRoNyBeaTz

Postby soup2504 » 02 Apr 2012 19:48

I actually have made friends with MANY haters... It's just having them understand the opinions they have that are right or wrong, and talking to them in a civilized manner.

But then we get the haters that basically ignore everything and just spam. In which case, I just play along/troll.

Here, have an example of the dumb hater.

Who's ready to experience hilarious trolls attacking BTAB? You better be ready.(Click them in order...)

http://gyazo.com/2b387159755a8b969742678f1c3861e9
http://gyazo.com/a821b503a36c74323bb1c6b6bb577366
http://gyazo.com/93a68903c553ffa9d476a4c47666e89c
http://gyazo.com/7b8c14e3512d9d6dd46088586988e466
http://gyazo.com/4c2ba6f83fd75761b69eee4609b8928d
http://gyazo.com/9b2537d220b1e07788c35c73f8d2306e
http://gyazo.com/679b6a02fdb9517217a5d20120ae725e
http://gyazo.com/04bbd968a7fbe8acf874d01298b024b1
http://gyazo.com/a6712a1b4d5a8deb61a71fd39dbab603

And he told us to join chat. So they made an announcement, and joined chat. To prevent pure page rape, I will be putting it on pastebin.

http://pastebin.com/F39ynmBV

I love this....
soup2504

Postby Legion » 02 Apr 2012 20:35

soup2504 wrote:And he told us to join chat. So they made an announcement, and joined chat. To prevent pure page rape, I will be putting it on pastebin.

I love this....

I have absolutely no idea what I'm reading, but I'm pretty sure it's brilliant.
Legion

Postby soup2504 » 02 Apr 2012 23:21

legion2190 wrote:
soup2504 wrote:And he told us to join chat. So they made an announcement, and joined chat. To prevent pure page rape, I will be putting it on pastebin.

I love this....

I have absolutely no idea what I'm reading, but I'm pretty sure it's brilliant.

You have every right to not understand it. It was literally seeing the words "Rape" and "Sodomy" spanned by a hater, and everyone else just typing random bullshit. Like I said, we play along...

Also, it is so brilliant! I MEAN, GEEZ, THAT STORYLINE!(it's 1:30 am, give me a break ;_;)
soup2504

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 30 Apr 2012 14:16

DavidReinold wrote:I've noticed a lot of people struggle with the haters. And it's difficult, no doubt. I was just wondering how everyone here deals with the haters.

With a saw!
ChromaticChaosPony

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 30 Apr 2012 14:56

The only haters I ever see are in day to day life. I usually scare them shitless just by being my normal self. They all think I might kill them, so I haven't had to actually kill them. Bronies and metalheads alike actually understand the difference between a strange sense of humor and someone who actually does have problems. Seriously, I have never actually gotten violent with someone else, ever.

Besides, humans don't taste very good anyways. It's all salty and metallic tasting, and has a strange consistency (yuck).

Trolls are different from haters. I just troll them back occasionally because its fun. Trolls are like pets. Neglecting to feed them is just wrong.

If you or someone you love enounters a troll, please feed it.
ChromaticChaosPony

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby Legion » 30 Apr 2012 16:06

ChromaticChaosPony wrote:
DavidReinold wrote:I've noticed a lot of people struggle with the haters. And it's difficult, no doubt. I was just wondering how everyone here deals with the haters.

With a saw!

I've been trying to unsee that video for days.

I hate you so much right now.
Legion

Postby AlicornBob » 01 May 2012 09:49

I'll get back to you on this.
AlicornBob

Postby inkBot » 02 May 2012 07:13

I haven't really dealt with haters on- or offline, yet. But I did have a rough time in school so haters in general don't faze me as much. Brutal honesty, witty retorts and/or /ignore are the best tools for dealing with haters I've found.
inkBot

Postby AlicornBob » 08 May 2012 07:22

ChromaticChaosPony wrote:The only haters I ever see are in day to day life. I usually scare them shitless just by being my normal self. They all think I might kill them, so I haven't had to actually kill them. Bronies and metalheads alike actually understand the difference between a strange sense of humor and someone who actually does have problems. Seriously, I have never actually gotten violent with someone else, ever.

Besides, humans don't taste very good anyways. It's all salty and metallic tasting, and has a strange consistency (yuck).

Trolls are different from haters. I just troll them back occasionally because its fun. Trolls are like pets. Neglecting to feed them is just wrong.

If you or someone you love enounters a troll, please feed it.

This!

You sir, have captured a part of me and put it on display. Well done.
AlicornBob

Postby Ed Viper » 08 May 2012 12:20

How do I deal with haters? I usually just ignore them. If they get too annoying then I simply play along while subtly insulting them. I try to be witty about it so they don't quite get what I'm saying right away. Eventually they get too angry for words and storm off.

>MFW this happens:
Soundcloud
Tumblr

If you ever need someone to talk to -

That's all I got right now.
Ed Viper

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Charlie Sheen

Postby ph00tbag » 08 May 2012 16:12

Honestly, I usually develop a reputation among my friends and acquaintances of not really doing anything for a bad reason, so when people find out I watch My Little Pony, they kind of do a double take, and hit me with a line like, "okay, so ph00tbag, you're a pretty reasonable guy. What makes a normal human being like you watch My Little Pony."

I usually just tell them it's a good show, and they should watch it for themselves and form their own opinions. Very rarely do I encounter haters for this.

When I do ultimately encounter haters, I can usually tell when they're just being shitheads because they want me to feel bad, so I just try to piss them off more by being obscene about it. It usually becomes something along the lines of, "You're a faggot." "Not so, good sir, for I am only attracted to female ponies." I know they're not going to be reasonable no matter what I do, so why bother being reasonable with them?
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby Pashoo » 09 May 2012 21:11

ph00tbag wrote:Honestly, I usually develop a reputation among my friends and acquaintances of not really doing anything for a bad reason, so when people find out I watch My Little Pony, they kind of do a double take, and hit me with a line like, "okay, so ph00tbag, you're a pretty reasonable guy. What makes a normal human being like you watch My Little Pony."

I usually just tell them it's a good show, and they should watch it for themselves and form their own opinions. Very rarely do I encounter haters for this.

Image Oh my god. This is a signature.
Pashoo

Postby Matthew N. » 10 May 2012 11:29

Never encountered a hater in RL. It's the damn internet and TV that has all those trolls and stupid people. I just stray away from the common sources of pony hatred and enjoy a happy brony life.
Matthew N.

Postby Matthew N. » 10 May 2012 12:04

Kyoga wrote:hard to watch mlp without tv or internet, don't you think?

That's not what I meant. When I watch MLP on, in my case, youtube, I simply avoid reading comments. I know there's ought to be one twat screaming something retarded that I don't want to read, so it's better to watch the show and have a conversation in proper places then get all worked up because some pre-puberty troll doesn't see MLP for what it is (refering to Teens React here.)
Matthew N.

Postby Matthew N. » 10 May 2012 14:01

Kyoga wrote:
Matthew_N wrote:
Kyoga wrote:hard to watch mlp without tv or internet, don't you think?

That's not what I meant. When I watch MLP on, in my case, youtube, I simply avoid reading comments. I know there's ought to be one twat screaming something retarded that I don't want to read, so it's better to watch the show and have a conversation in proper places then get all worked up because some pre-puberty troll doesn't see MLP for what it is (refering to Teens React here.)

it's kinda hard to hide from the world sometimes though.
those "prepubescent teens" in teens react are just like the rest of the world, brony.
Biased
Prejudiced
Unfair
Ignorant
Hateful
and mindwashed by the society they claim is "theirs" when in fact they are the society's vessels for reproducing the same ideologies the made bronies "uncool".

They're all brainwashed and they all know it. So am I, and so are you. It's not something that will go away, but if instead society would "brainwash" people into loving and tolerating everybody. Things, in my opinion would be alot easier.

So I go on enjoying being a brony and not being hated and judged in real life. :)

For anyone who hates us, just show them Fluttershy:

HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE HER?!
Matthew N.

Postby Ed Viper » 11 May 2012 13:32

IT'S TRUE, I CAN'T LOOK AWAY!

Also, if anybody here knows of/has heard of Saberspark, he's doing a YouTube video to be released sometime this summer on how to deal with haters and trolls.

I like Saber and he comes up with really interesting points sometimes so I'm interested in seeing what he has to say.
Soundcloud
Tumblr

If you ever need someone to talk to -

That's all I got right now.
Ed Viper

Cutie Mark: Charlie Sheen

Postby Matthew N. » 11 May 2012 16:03

Kyoga wrote:Fluttershy is awesome... that is a non-negotiable fact!
No matter what our differences are, We will always have the awesomeness of fluttershy in common.

Matthew N.

PreviousNext

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic