Essential FimFics?

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Re: Essential FimFics?

Postby Navron » 11 Jan 2014 12:04

Injustrial wrote:I may sound harsh here, and to every single Fimfiction writer I may be pissing off now, I am terribly sorry. But every single story I've read so far has been either badly worded, annoyingly characterized or just plain bad. I really want to read a fanfic capable of blowing my socks off, but it's just not happening.

Just curious, but have you read the original Fallout Equestria in its entirety? I only ask because the length of that story put me off from reading it for a very long time. That and I've never played Fallout, so I didn't feel like I would understand the story.

When I finally got around to reading it, I was floored, not just by the scope of the story, but by the quality of the writing, and the writer's ability to somehow integrate the overall messages of the show into an otherwise completely different medium.

My Little Dashie didn't even get my eyes moist. I thought it was a very predictable story that felt like the ending tried too hard to feel emotional. FoE on the other hand, didn't feel like it ever forced an emotional setting. It's just so descriptive of the setting that little things like one character hugging another really lets you cherish those small happy moments. It's not really a grimdark fic in my opinion. More of an adventure story, and the friendships made throughout the adventure.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Jokeblue » 11 Jan 2014 19:29

Seconded.

Injustrial if you really want to read a good fic then deffinately read Fallout: Equestria. That book is probably the main thing that hooked me on My Little Pony and the fandom (aside from the music scene of course). I can also almost deffinately say that it is the best book I have ever read. I can't think of a single other book that trumps it.

It is a masterpiece cover to cover. If you do go ahead and read it, just remember to eat and sleep. As much as I detested taking any breaks in my 6 day marathon read through, it is still essential to maintain normal bodily functions.
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby HMage » 12 Jan 2014 13:24

I agree. Don't just sort on fimfiction.net by popularity and expect quality fics. Popular is almost never quality in all mediums.
HMage

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby simonli2575 » 12 Jan 2014 13:28

HMage wrote:I agree. Don't just sort on fimfiction.net by popularity and expect quality fics. Popular is almost never quality in all mediums.

1 question: But if their quality isn't great, how do they manage to get popular?
http://soundcloud.com/simonli2575
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
Software: FL Studio, Z3ta+2 & Massive
Hardware: Roland 800-Pro and a computer
Genres: Drum 'n' Bass and occasionally Jungle
Genres I want to try out: Dubstep, Breakcore, Hardstyle and Trap
Alycs made my new avatar. \o/
simonli2575

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Why are you staring at my ass

Postby HMage » 12 Jan 2014 13:45

simonli2575 wrote:
HMage wrote:I agree. Don't just sort on fimfiction.net by popularity and expect quality fics. Popular is almost never quality in all mediums.

1 question: But if their quality isn't great, how do they manage to get popular?

Networking effect.
HMage

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Alycs » 13 Jan 2014 11:21

excuse me are you saying that this:
Didn't become popular because of its quality?!?!
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby Magnitude Zero » 13 Jan 2014 12:40

Alycs wrote:excuse me are you saying that this:

Actually, I would argue that it did. My Immortal is popular because of its extremely low quality. :wink:
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby Alycs » 13 Jan 2014 15:08

Magnitude Zero wrote:
Alycs wrote:excuse me are you saying that this:

Actually, I would argue that it did. My Immortal is popular because of its extremely low quality. :wink:

Point taken

----

But yeah, Fallout Equestria definitely. I've read the original... 4 times now? I've read (caught up from beginning) on Project Horizons 3 times...
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Previous

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic