Are Show Remixes the Devil or a Necessary Evil?

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Well?

Poll ended at 21 Dec 2013 13:40

They Are the Devil - No good can come from them. They really are a bad and unimaginative way to make fan music and self-respecting musicians should avoid making them.
5%
Necessary Evil - Most will be terrible, but some gems will come through. They are becoming much less cooler to make and we should question how we view them.
65%
Not Evil at all - Our community has had plenty of quality show remixes made in a short period of time and its a legitimate skill to be able to do that and to honor the show. Props to them and it's good for everyone to try a song with a quick turnaround.
30%

Total votes : 20

Are Show Remixes the Devil or a Necessary Evil?

Postby Freewave » 14 Dec 2013 13:40

As we all know there's an episode with show music that just came out and the fandom is likely working hard on the remixes this very moment in the chance they will have a working song published in not just a week but maybe later in the next day or two. This of course brings up the question, does rushing a show song remix ever bring forth quality? Should EQD queue songs so their listeners can pick out the the real strong ones? Should they grab the first decent ones that comes across their desk to satisfy the fans and reward those who can make music quickly? Ultimately does doing a show remix make or break a musician and the community (ie 100+Babs Seed Remixes can't be wrong)?

Thoughts? :twisted:
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Re: Are Show Remixes the Devil or a Necessary Evil?

Postby CitricAcid » 14 Dec 2013 13:48

I still have a hard time believing that any "good" music can be produced in just a day or two, be it remix, original, or otherwise. Good composers/producers can probably output something "acceptable" or "able to fool the audience into thinking it's good" in that amount of time, but unless there is some kind of time constraint on you that requires you to work that fast, I see no reason to try to crank crap out in just a couple days.

If I were a listener of remixes--which by and large I am not--I would wait at least a week before listening to any of the remixes of today's song. Personally I think it would be funny if EQD packaged all the remixes that they get in the next couple of days into one big post.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby Injustrial » 14 Dec 2013 13:52

When it comes to show remixes, I'm only liking a select few. DJ Gestap does a good job of reimagining the tunes into something awesome, although he does change them up completely in doing so.

Odyssey is king when it comes to keeping the tunes recognizable, but making them his own, IMO. He does fall into a pattern of reusing a lot of his assets, but that's completely fine when you're specializing in eurotrash
Injustrial

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 14 Dec 2013 13:55

Just saying, Archie had his "Love is in Bloom" remix out just a few hours after the episode was aired, and it's one of the better remixes IMO.
Captain Ironhelm

Postby itroitnyah » 14 Dec 2013 13:59

You don't need to be able to make a remix quickly in order to honor the show, you don't even need to make a remix at all. You can really just watch the show and that's plenty of honoring. Buying merchandise, drawing art, writing fanfictions and making music are just a way of being outgoing with honoring the show.

As for the part of EqD, I personally think they should wait a week after the episode is released and then put the top quality remixes on the table and have the people vote on the best one.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Freewave » 14 Dec 2013 14:04

Captain Ironhelm wrote:Just saying, Archie had his "Love is in Bloom" remix out just a few hours after the episode was aired, and it's one of the better remixes IMO.

TBH i think everyone went overboard in praising that song (and SimGretina's medley of S3 finale songs) but i do have to give them props for showing that it was possible in that short a period of time and for sounding "good". I do think Archie was the starting point for having to do it QUICKLY of you might be ignored a week later.

If Toast Beard encourages songs in a week, some of their crossover events have a much shorter window, and visual artists have the 30 minute challenge maybe its not bad practice to see if people can do 50 yard dashes as well marathon runs. I'm not sure that's good for the community in the long run to see 200 Babs Seed and Raise This Barn remixes when only a handful are really any good.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Navron » 14 Dec 2013 14:38

The purpose of a remix is to reimagine the song in a different light, while still keeping true to the original. The only one I've done that's close to that definition is my, "This Day Aria," remix. All my other remixes are complete genre/key changes that change the song entirely.

When it comes to show remixes quickly after an episode, I absolutely despise them. The norm seems to be 12-24hrs before the first remix, and often times it's a very generic genre like house or trance. Not knocking the genre, but let's agree it doesn't take much talent to create a four to the floor drum pattern, load up some nexus presets to follow the chord progression, and add in the song vocals.

The other reason I despise show remixes is because it's generally an attention grabbing move by a lot of musicians, and part of that reason is because the fans will generally listen to the first remixes that come out, and ignore the ones later on. It's quite sad to see the musicians putting the least amount of work into their remix getting all the attention, and getting sick of the song by the time the musicians who put a good week or two into their song release theirs.

This rush also causes people to pretty much get entirely sick of the song, which means it doesn't matter if you waited a full year to do a, "Babs Seed," remix. The only thing people will think is, "Sheesh, another Babs Seed remix?" The initial spam of remixes pretty much forces you into a week long window to do your remix if you want any chance of it being heard by a good number of fans, and if you're outside that window, it's likely going to be ignored.

Plus, even if you aren't doing a remix of a show song, good luck trying to get an original song featured in the 2 weeks following a show song's debut.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Magnitude Zero » 14 Dec 2013 15:01

From a relevant Tumblr post of mine from this morning:

Spoiler Possible Flight to the Finish spoilers:
Alright I’ve made my little parody but seriously that song is going to be like Babs Seed 2.0 for the brony music scene. There is a tsunami of remixes on the horizon. There are people right now racing to be the first ones to remix Hearts as Strong as Horses for the sole purpose of getting cheap views. And that is really, really disheartening to me.

If you’re making music in that mindset, you can’t be having fun with it. You really just can’t. And that is just so sad to me because music is my favorite thing in the world, and the people that are exploiting it for their little 15 minutes of “omg that was quick!” fame are really missing out.

It's mostly just really disappointing for me to see that people are turning music and this wonderful, fun little show into some sort of e-popularity grab. Racing to be the first one to release a remix completely defeats the purpose of fan music.

It's also pretty disrespectful to Daniel Ingram and the show staff. I know I wouldn't be particularly happy knowing people are exploiting my work for cheap views. That shows a real lack of appreciation and it's just a really rude thing to do.

If you're going to remix a song, take your time and do your best to do justice to the original. Have some fun being a musician - it's a really beautiful thing to be.
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby HMage » 14 Dec 2013 15:46

It's not, like, you can stop people from doing what they want to do.
HMage

Primary: Ableton

Postby ph00tbag » 14 Dec 2013 21:18

People are going to do them, and some good ones do come out. I take greater issue with the race to have the first one. If you feel a remix, go ahead and make one, but take the time to make sure it's a fair crack at making a good tune. Don't just switch on your presets and bear down. There's something lost when you care more about getting the tune done than about making it complete.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio

Postby Gray Ham » 14 Dec 2013 23:01

Agree with most of the above. The "remix race" is fucking terrible. As Navron said, these songs need to be re-imaginings of the original, not house that sounds pretty much the same. *looks at Archie*
An example of this is Nosnibormada's remix of Babs Seed, which I felt was one of the better ones in a completely different style and it took about a week before it was released (because I know it was on Toastbeard). How many views did it get? Roughly 200, almost completely ignored.
currently on a hiatus from actively making music due to school

ImageImage
What's soaking wet and clueless?
Gray Ham

Primary: ACID
Cutie Mark: A Trumpet

Postby Pickslide1992 » 15 Dec 2013 08:54

I have no problem with remixes, if you do something different with them. What I do is cover a song in a different style rather than stick note for note or do the same genre as the original. Time frame doesn't matter IMO, as I've heard some amazing tracks within the week of a new song. I really don't see the huge fuss, aside from the whole "Remix race" thing, which I completely agree with, but there are some gems out there done early, but it's rather 50/50.
Hey guys, new YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/PowerChordEPS

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Styles: Rock, metal, pop, new wave
Pickslide1992

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic