Downward Trajectory of Brony Music (New Blog Launch pg 3 on)

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Re: The Downward Trajectory of Brony Music (and how to fix i

Postby A2Z » 23 Oct 2013 11:53

CitricAcid wrote:
Freewave wrote:Here's a QUICK mock up (i took the deactivated brony artist directory and redesigned it) of what it could look like with some art i had at hand. This will not be the url or the site obviously....

Would love a purple ring around the png to make it a bit more "banner-ish if anyone knows how to do that in psp." Again a quick but professional (?) design for the time being with the proposed name in tow.

I have some basic suggestions based on that mockup. Assuming this is going to be remain tumblr-based, I would pick a layout that makes better use of the horizontal page space. And is there a way to make the background image stay put while the blog in the foreground scrolls? Tiled backgrounds always remind me of ytmnd background images and crummy myspace pages.

For the record, I'm not very blog-savvy, so forgive me if my suggestions are totally out of line.

I think the none-scrolling BG image will work great. we also need to decide on a very appealing layout. We need to have people that visit the site want to come back and not feel like its an eye-sore in any which way.

Also, we should really decide if this is going to primarily tumblr based or a dedicated site.

I personally vote for a dedicated site with the tumblr being kind of like the newsletter of sorts that talks about what's going on at fimmusic, and have fimmusic the place where all the content is primarily presented for an audience to follow their favorite musicians easily, see stuff happening in the music sector, etc. I think this needs to be focused on the consumer interest first, but still have producers want to be a part of the consumer action and want to create site content as well. Basically I agree with a lot of what ClaviSound said, music first and foremost.
I am here to see what you do and omg it's cute

Here is my [audiocumulus]: soundcloud.com/blacklight60
A2Z

Postby Freewave » 23 Oct 2013 11:55

ClaviSound wrote:

Another question is who will pay for the domain name and how will the site be funded, if we are going to take fimmusic.net? I'm assuming you'd have to talk to HMage to know the details, but websites aren't free space.

Tumblr's are free, domain's can be $10 or $15 a year. I've been paying for bronymusic.com for 2 years now. So if he's cool with contributing and using that then that's great (we can help him out if that become a priority).

A2Z wrote:Also, we should really decide if this is going to primarily tumblr based or a dedicated site.

I personally vote for a dedicated site with the tumblr being kind of like the newsletter of sorts that talks about what's going on at fimmusic, and have fimmusic the place where all the content is primarily presented for an audience to follow their favorite musicians easily, see stuff happening in the music sector, etc. I think this needs to be focused on the consumer interest first, but still have producers want to be a part of the consumer action and want to create site content as well. Basically I agree with a lot of what ClaviSound said, music first and foremost.

This WILL be a tumblr BUT a highly efficient one and music focused. :wink: Most tumblr's are an unorganized mess and we won't have that. i want to tag repeating features so people can backtrack to previous posts easily. I want it to be where the musicians are enthusiastic about the site but everyone and anyone who like mlp can also get into it to.

I am all for any help on the initial artwork or blog template and design. The mock up does not show i want the rest of the site to look like and that can still all change. Personally i have my own tumblr as the way i kind of would want it to roll. With likes as visible posts to click on and some bookmark on the right. But if people can get a better layout then that's fab.

Alycs wrote:I'm pretty good with blog themes and designing web-based graphics, so if you need something done I can certainly help with that. (that theme... yeah, you really don't want to use that one. I looks good at first but it has quite a lot of bugs that will become very noticeable once its been used for a while [and because its a theme garden theme you aren't allowed to use to for customizations so no coding-edits])

Anyone who wants to contribute out of the gate and with the design plz skype me (thefreewave) as we'll need some initial contributors from mlr to help get this out and talk further about ideas. But we gotta keep any group skype chat focused and on-topic. All i ask!
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby A2Z » 23 Oct 2013 12:12

So now that we have some ideas for how we want the site to look like and we can keep discussing the layout, colors, images and stuff, we now need to see about other stuff.

Where is the content going to come from? We have multiple areas to draw from, MLR being a big one. I know for sure a good amount of stuff still comes from Toastbeard and we can maybe set up something with them, like asking submitters to label their entries with a short little (++) or something to notify that their music is allowed to be shared.

Also who is going to run interviews? will this be a monthly thing? we need to see who's willing to mod and have the time to do at least some of the things asked of them. Spilting the workload to different divisions/ teams of people is an option here

A2Z

Postby Freewave » 23 Oct 2013 12:26

A2Z wrote:So now that we have some ideas for how we want the site to look like and we can keep discussing the layout, colors, images and stuff, we now need to see about other stuff.

Where is the content going to come from? We have multiple areas to draw from, MLR being a big one. I know for sure a good amount of stuff still comes from Toastbeard and we can maybe set up something with them, like asking submitters to label their entries with a short little (++) or something to notify that their music is allowed to be shared.

Also who is going to run interviews? will this be a monthly thing? we need to see who's willing to mod and have the time to do at least some of the things asked of them. Spilting the workload to different divisions/ teams of people is an option here

In the past i tried to do verbal interviews and they were nice but TOO time consuming and at the time i wasn't that great at doing it.

I'd like to find and use or adapt the same script i was using at that time

Spoiler text:
So how did you discover the show?
Who are your musical influences?
When did you start making music?
When did you first discover the brony community or start making brony music?
What tools (DAW / Instruments / VST's) do you use to make music?
How would you describe your style?
What helps you stand out from the crowd?
What are your 5 favorite brony tracks or artists at the moment?
What are your favorite albums or songs (non-pony)?
Who’s your favorite pony and why?
What other musicians help you on WIPs or as part of your support system?
Tell us something about yourself that people likely don’t know.
How do you feel about your place in the community? How should it function better?
Anything else you’d like to say about yourself?

also have the artist pick out 3 of their fav tracks that they can talk about how they made them and play a minute of each.

and ask people to write them out (or to record their vocals if they'd rather speak the answers back) and then we post and highlight it. We obviously can't have a massive post taking up the whole tumblr but there's way to minimize those and then maximize for reading or hearing. Or we can go back to doing real ytube interviews if that takes off and people have the time to compile and do skype calls and recordings.

If someone wants to head and "own" particular blog features and be responsible that's even better.

Toastbeard deserves a weekly update and spotlight to help reboot it and get new people more familiar with it again. Get it on its feet again.
Freewave

Postby Freewave » 23 Oct 2013 13:04

Went ahead and swapped titles and themes so that the brony artist directory is now.....
http://fimmusic.tumblr.com/
Freewave

Postby JSynth » 23 Oct 2013 14:26

Freewave wrote:Went ahead and swapped titles and themes so that the brony artist directory is now.....
http://fimmusic.tumblr.com/

Followed.

Also I was pretty confused by this question.

"How do you feel about your place in the community? How should it function better?"

I'm sure they will change, but it just seemed like an odd question to me.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby Conduit » 23 Oct 2013 14:47

I'm probably not as good as Alycs with web design, but I can make cool fonts and backgrounds, so I'd definitely be up for that.

I'd also be interested in helping run the blog once its up, I could see myself doing music updates and whatnot if you need people for that.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby ExoBassTix » 23 Oct 2013 15:18

I am so much in favor for FiMMusic. I've only ever seen interviews on DeepDarkDungeonDubstwp (amd once I saw one about Lange on some random site).
I totally dig the idea. I'm gonna thoroughly read through this all text later and see if there's something I can contribute.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Callenby » 23 Oct 2013 15:57

I'm told that I'm pretty decent at writing so maybe I could help out in that regard.

EDIT: typo
Last edited by Callenby on 23 Oct 2013 16:09, edited 1 time in total.
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." - Pablo Picasso
Free online classes (including music) can be found here. Credit for my avatar goes to Lolo.

Tumblr / YouTube / Soundcloud
Callenby

Primary: Cubase 7.5
Cutie Mark: Double bass clef heart

Postby ClaviSound » 23 Oct 2013 16:05

Hmm, not sure if I could pull my weight enough to be a staff member of the thing, but I know the ins and outs of the hip-hop side of the fandom (plus some of those related like beat producers and general vocalists), as well as having a couple aforementioned connections with Celestia Radio and Fractured Frequencies. I enjoy anything that lets me talk, so I'd love to write a couple articles or analyses on musicians, or pony-related rap, or music as a whole, and generally contribute by throwing a couple artists on the page for exposure.
aka Scott Hopkins aka Swerve Keystyle aka Equestrian Threat: https://www.youtube.com/c/EquestrianThreat

I can't type cursive, so I don't know what's supposed to go in my signature.

Don't quote me.
ClaviSound

Primary: Audacity cuz sweg, Ableton
Cutie Mark: N/A

Postby HMage » 23 Oct 2013 17:13

oh wow didn't expect that big response.

I can keep the domain running for 4 more years, no need to worry. As soon as you decide what IP/CNAME to point the domain to, I'll do that.
HMage

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Freewave » 23 Oct 2013 18:23

HMage wrote:oh wow didn't expect that big response.

I can keep the domain running for 4 more years, no need to worry. As soon as you decide what IP/CNAME to point the domain to, I'll do that.

Go ahead and point to http://fimmusic.tumblr.com/ Hmage. I think we'll stick with that.

I'll talk to alycs on how to make a better LOOKING website shortly as i'm sure it could look a lot better by launch. We did a lot of talk in the skype about what we want and don't want. Nothing is in stone yet.

I'll be glad to include anyone who wants to contribute. That's where i think we can succeed is that everyone has a vested interest in seeing this work well and seeing the community working and communicating better. I'll keep any discussions going to this thread for the next 3 days (while i'm at work) but will be glad to get anyone added to the skype chat eventually (just add thefreewave).

Thanks for the help everybody!! :D
Freewave

Postby Magnitude Zero » 23 Oct 2013 18:31

Freewave wrote:I'll talk to alycs on how to make a better LOOKING website shortly as i'm sure it could look a lot better by launch. We did a lot of talk in the skype about what we want and don't want. Nothing is in stone yet.

Let me know if you want some extra feedback on that. I don't have the know-how to design and make a blog from the ground up, but I know a thing or two about what works and what doesn't in a website. I'm also really really picky about the whole "functionality > aesthetics" deal.
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Re: The Downward Trajectory of Brony Music

Postby ganondox » 23 Oct 2013 20:55

I also volunteer to help run the blog. What Clavis can do with Hip-hop I can do with Rock. I'm also pretty interested in the community itself beyond that.

ph00tbag wrote:I do think there could be more done to spotlight new/lesser-known artists in general, really. I like the idea of a blog that makes a point to do, like, weekly spotlights/interviews/whatever with artists that focus on new names. There's opportunity there, as well, for better-known artists to contribute input on who has impressed them lately. It can also have reviews, tutorials, and the like. No genre focus, necessarily, mostly just a focus on promoting the brony musician community.

I think that it should focus on lesser known rather than new. There are three reasons for this. First, technically the people who need promotions are unknown artists, not new ones. Secondly, not all unknown artists are new. Finally, new artists tend to not have very much content, so it would be less appealing to the reader of the blog. We want to promote people when they have more of a chance, not before.
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Postby VaporBlaze » 23 Oct 2013 22:17

glad to see this is finally happening. i'd be willing to write for it, and make lists such as "top 10 Aj songs" or "best love is in bloom remixes". I have a very large library of mlp music, i try to stay very current with all the music coming out, and I have made sure to listen all the way through each and every song and rate it, so I can quickly assemble "best of" lists.
VaporBlaze

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: [-∞, ∞]

Postby A2Z » 24 Oct 2013 01:28

So to get an idea of the content we want to present to the audience, which will be ideally listeners and producers to enjoy, I've gone through all the bullet points that Freewave listed earlier and compiled a summary of sorts to help see what we need and what might be unnecessary (to start off with at least). I'll be putting in my ideas here

• Credited posts. Fine for people to see who is recommending the stuff that is getting posted. No more than that if we want this to be still mainly run by a staff that filters the content to an extent.
  • Macro focus. ARTISTS, not just individual songs, from all areas who are making good stuff and are generally active.
  • Community Calender. Events, deadlines, hype/activity, releases, projects, albums, collaborations, etc.
  • Toastbeard involvement. Artists from there, winners of competitions and their songs, themes and info for people interested. Reminders to tune in for the sync-listen. Weekly
  • "Blast from the past?" (maybe a different name). Retired pony artists, where are they now. Monthly or Bi-Monthly
  • Spotlighting threads on MLR? I don't know, I think we should leave that for MLR entirely.
  • Interviews with community members small and large Bi-Monthly or slightly more
  • Heavily music focused, nothing off-topic or creates clutter
  • Behind-the-music (name it Pre-Fade?) with producers. Studios, methods, tutorials Bi-Monthly, might be grouped with interviews altogether
  • Guest authors (for articles?), interviews (guest interviewers?), all levels of fandom?, conversations encouraged (maybe should be directed to MLR threads to avoid clutter)
  • Remixes,Genres,Character Spotlights. I disagree, goes against macro-focus. Maybe "Best of Genre", but even that's a stretch imo"
  • Link past lists? maybe not, let's keep things kind of fresh for the most part
  • Call and response with fansites who share a common interest
  • DJ Mixes. Can probably be grouped with artist content entirely, or at least be labeled differently, but maybe not separated. Discussion on this
  • Convention talk from music standpoint (let's stay music focused, EQD/EFN already does convention coverage). Who's performing where and the like.
  • Brony Radio Station interviews and finding out about them can be grouped with interviewing altogether or slightly distinct. Discussion on this as well
  • PMV recognition
  • NO ART. Let's keep this primarily music focused. IF any art, it should be limited to album covers, artists label designs, and things of that nature.
  • NO COMMUNITY POLLS. EQD and the like already do lots of stuff like that. IF we do, link it to MLR or something that won't create clutter on the blog

This is a rough draft I created with how we might see the content released as. My views on how the blog will work entirely may be completely wrong as well. I just wanted to tackle this immediate subject now to see what people are wanting to have.

A2Z

Postby ExoBassTix » 24 Oct 2013 03:23

Just like ganondox and Clavi, I'd like to help on that aspect, but more in the direction of Trance (of all sorts), House (of all sorts), Techno, Dungeon Dubstep, , but also the harder stuff (Hardcore, Speedcore, you know what I mean) instead of Hip-Hop and Rock.
Do note that I'm going to pay more attention to find music of these sorts that are actually pony.
As I don't have a huge database like Vapor (yet). I just have Pinkamena Party, Rainblood & Vomit, an unopened Rainbow & Rooted, and some small songs that I happened to have found once.

And I'd like to agree with ganondox on the new/lesser known thing.

And here a reply to A2Z's thing in italic:
A2Z wrote:
  • Credited posts. Fine for people to see who is recommending the stuff that is getting posted. No more than that if we want this to be still mainly run by a staff that filters the content to an extent. Very much agreed. Very much. I wanted to explain why but I lost the words xD
  • Macro focus. ARTISTS, not just individual songs, from all areas who are making good stuff and are generally active. Smart idea, seen it myself plenty and that worked.
  • Community Calender. Events, deadlines, hype/activity, releases, projects, albums, collaborations, etc. Naturally.
  • Toastbeard involvement. Artists from there, winners of competitions and their songs, themes and info for people interested. Reminders to tune in for the sync-listen. Weekly Good idea, this way TB would maybe get more popular, or at least more recognition.
  • "Blast from the past?" (maybe a different name). Retired pony artists, where are they now. Monthly or Bi-Monthly Oooooo, gossip. Count me out :3
  • Spotlighting threads on MLR? I don't know, I think we should leave that for MLR entirely. Too much an MLR thing, not enough to do with music.
  • Interviews with community members small and large Bi-Monthly or slightly more Haha, could be fun.
  • Heavily music focused, nothing off-topic or creates clutter Yeeeeeeeesss. So much.
  • Behind-the-music (name it Pre-Fade?) with producers. Studios, methods, tutorials Bi-Monthly, might be grouped with interviews altogether I don't get why you'd group them with the interviews, but count me in in doing tutorials now and then.
  • Guest authors (for articles?), interviews (guest interviewers?), all levels of fandom?, conversations encouraged (maybe should be directed to MLR threads to avoid clutter) A bit of an unnecesssary thing I'd say.
  • Remixes,Genres,Character Spotlights. I disagree, goes against macro-focus. Maybe "Best of Genre", but even that's a stretch imo" Yea we could just keep it all-round altogether, and tag appropriate genre, and if people want more of a certain genre, they follow the tags. Right?
  • Link past lists? maybe not, let's keep things kind of fresh for the most part Uhm... What lists?
  • Call and response with fansites who share a common interest Hahaha yes I can already imagine it xD do it.
  • DJ Mixes. Can probably be grouped with artist content entirely, or at least be labeled differently, but maybe not separated. Discussion on this Don't get why you shouldn't label DJ mixes differently, and not including DJ mixes is losing extra potential for audience.
  • Convention talk from music standpoint (let's stay music focused, EQD/EFN already does convention coverage). Who's performing where and the like. Oh yes. Not something I could do, but this is a definite yes.
  • Brony Radio Station interviews and finding out about them can be grouped with interviewing altogether or slightly distinct. Discussion on this as well Dunno really.
  • PMV recognition Once again dunno.
  • NO ART. Let's keep this primarily music focused. IF any art, it should be limited to album covers, artists label designs, and things of that nature. Yes, or else we'd be too busy, and it won't be a strictly music site anymore.
  • NO COMMUNITY POLLS. EQD and the like already do lots of stuff like that. IF we do, link it to MLR or something that won't create clutter on the blog Depends on what kind of polls you're talking about, I'd say.

The only thing that I'm fiercely against is interviewing ex-populars. It'd create shitstorms. Our reputation could get bad pretty quick.
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby Applejinx » 24 Oct 2013 04:38

Followed. I've had too much on my plate to deal with music making apart from one lil' appearance in Toastbeard recently, and lack of support has a lot to do with my priorities—and I work on music gear/software for a living, so for me to abandon ship means it's pretty damn bleak out there.

I can spend hours on a fic chapter and have hundreds and hundreds of readers. Hours on a song, and there's like three guys on Toastbeard and even they don't often say 'yay, I like this!' because they've got their own tracks to be enthusiastic about.

I'll try to get support in Bronycon (I'm on staff for the last two years and 2014, though I don't run Bronypalooza) for the working musicpone, I've got some ideas on how to do that. Maybe I should be doing a panel on studio operation as that's so close to my day job. Lavender knows I've got a clue on that stuff and I'd be particularly good at Q&A as by necessity I have to be up on the nuts and bolts of running a professional recording studio in 2013/2014 and know what people do out there in the field.

Maybe in order to join the site you have to list a bunch of musicians you support (or a few) and past a certain point you can't add new ones to the list? So like several people list General Mumble or Glaze and then new joiners can no longer use those names and have to come up with other folks to endorse. And if you don't know anypony you'd want to endorse you should listen to other people's music and be more active in the community :)

That way, you'd get a list of the 'consensus musicians' like Tomb etc. who immediately get cited, and then second-string guys start getting added to the list as folks are compelled to dig deeper, and you can make the 'tapped out' list public so the general music listener can look over who the musicians think are the best. The more people join the site, the more eclectic the 'consenus good' list becomes, it being the set of musicians that at least (3? 4? 8?) other musicians endorse as good. You could make another list of everypony who's been cited but is still available to use for new site-joiners. And you can't be featured or mentioned on the site unless you've joined, so the big-shot guys will have to join and cite each other as influences in a hurry or they'll be forced to dig for other guys to endorse, possibly ones they don't like as much XD

Okay, that's enough brainstorming/derping out of me ;)
Applejinx

Postby JSynth » 24 Oct 2013 08:48

Oh hey another Vermonter!

I really like seeing this community coming together like this. It really is giving me a lot of hope.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby Freewave » 24 Oct 2013 10:11

ganondox wrote:I think that it should focus on lesser known rather than new. There are three reasons for this. First, technically the people who need promotions are unknown artists, not new ones. Secondly, not all unknown artists are new. Finally, new artists tend to not have very much content, so it would be less appealing to the reader of the blog. We want to promote people when they have more of a chance, not before.

Agree. I don't want people thinking that whemn they enter the community they immediately should be heard. You need to go to mlr, learn your craft, and get better first. I'd rather help those that have done that step and just aren't getting the recognition yet.

ExoBassTix wrote:The only thing that I'm fiercely against is interviewing ex-populars. It'd create shitstorms. Our reputation could get bad pretty quick.

You mean covering people who've left the community or those who've fallen from grace due to bad drama and are still here? (**Yac, cough**)I do want to avoid the former but am not sure of how many people fit the latter category.

Applejinx wrote:Words

Thanks for the support! I guess i don't understand what you mean by endorse in your paragraphs. That got a bit confusing tbh.
Freewave

Postby ExoBassTix » 24 Oct 2013 10:32

Do you know how annoying it is to do these kind of posts on an iPhone? ;_;
Freewave wrote:
ExoBassTix wrote:The only thing that I'm fiercely against is interviewing ex-populars. It'd create shitstorms. Our reputation could get bad pretty quick.

You mean covering people who've left the community or those who've fallen from grace due to bad drama and are still here? (**Yac, cough**)I do want to avoid the former but am not sure of how many people fit the latter category.

Yea mainly the former.
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby Freewave » 24 Oct 2013 12:12

ExoBassTix wrote:Do you know how annoying it is to do these kind of posts on an iPhone? ;_;
Freewave wrote:

Yea mainly the former.

Yeah I'm not a big fan of the leave the community > community continues following you model. If you're in the community and still making mlp music then that's great and you have our attention.
Freewave

Postby ClaviSound » 24 Oct 2013 12:48

My comments are also in italics because I'm unoriginal and it works well enough:
A2Z wrote:
  • Credited posts. Fine for people to see who is recommending the stuff that is getting posted. No more than that if we want this to be still mainly run by a staff that filters the content to an extent. More or less agree. We might organize things in a calendar anyway, so this would be an inevitable result of that.
  • Macro focus. ARTISTS, not just individual songs, from all areas who are making good stuff and are generally active. I think it's important to stress being active. Someone who makes great music but is ghost probably shouldn't get a spotlight, if only because it's kind of pointless if a spotlight boosts the following of someone who isn't making music, no?

• Community Calender. Events, deadlines, hype/activity, releases, projects, albums, collaborations, etc. Definitely would be good to see music news in general; a lot of community albums on MLR remain unadvertised elsewhere.

• Toastbeard involvement. Artists from there, winners of competitions and their songs, themes and info for people interested. Reminders to tune in for the sync-listen. Weekly Toastbeard's never been my thing since it's built for instrumentalists, but all the same it took me a long time to figure out it existed, so it definitely needs promotion.

• "Blast from the past?" (maybe a different name). Retired pony artists, where are they now. Monthly or Bi-Monthly Perhaps we could incorporate artists who left but are making a comeback as well? Musicians who haven't been active lately but have been putting together a big pony comeback, you know.

• Spotlighting threads on MLR? I don't know, I think we should leave that for MLR entirely. I think this would be the better idea if we were using the MLR tumblr, but as it stands it's best to make FIMmusic its own thing.

• Interviews with community members small and large Bi-Monthly or slightly more Also, we're going to have to define what makes a "community member." Is it just making music? Or should we include people like "head of Bronypalooza"-type?

• Heavily music focused, nothing off-topic or creates clutter We've discussed this on Skype, it's probably a good idea to do things like answering questions posed via the Tumblr Ask Box privately.

• Behind-the-music (name it Pre-Fade?) with producers. Studios, methods, tutorials Bi-Monthly, might be grouped with interviews altogether This is one of those ideas that sounds good on paper but is a little difficult to exercise in practice. We can do master class content all we want, but what's going to make it different then them just uploading a video on their YouTube on how they create music? We're going to have to implement this idea in a unique way.

• Guest authors (for articles?), interviews (guest interviewers?), all levels of fandom?, conversations encouraged (maybe should be directed to MLR threads to avoid clutter) Perhaps we could have a "group review" of some songs, where we go down the list and have two, maybe three individual opinions on each song. One person is fine for most occasions, but if we have a big thing like Rainbow and Rooted it would be more solid critique to get more than just one opinion on it.

• Remixes,Genres,Character Spotlights. I disagree, goes against macro-focus. Maybe "Best of Genre", but even that's a stretch imo" Agreed that "best of this type of song" would probably be out of place. All the same, it would be nice to have genre-specific compilations, I haven't really seen that idea before.

• Link past lists? maybe not, let's keep things kind of fresh for the most part Mostly agreed. I still think it would be cool to look at albums and stuff that haven't had as much staying power as Balloon Party-type things, however, in the realm of older content that's faded from public memory.

• Call and response with fansites who share a common interest Not sure about "call and response," but talking with other fansites is probably a good idea. This blog goes nowhere without promotion.

• DJ Mixes. Can probably be grouped with artist content entirely, or at least be labeled differently, but maybe not separated. Discussion on this I recall a "pass it on" DJ compilation with several DJ's from the fandom, we could feature things like that if we wanted. It probably shouldn't be like "here's the Mixology from EFN this week," though.

• Convention talk from music standpoint (let's stay music focused, EQD/EFN already does convention coverage). Who's performing where and the like. As I briefly mentioned before, it would be nice to get insight from people working on setting the music up. The A/V heads, the guys in charge of organizing the concerts, etc. And yes, I think general convention coverage from FIMmusic wouldn't do much. Many other stations/networks have more resources and manpower, and it's folly to try to outdo them.

• Brony Radio Station interviews and finding out about them can be grouped with interviewing altogether or slightly distinct. Discussion on this as well Interviews with radio stations is rather ironic, as the stations themselves usually do the interviewing. Definitely something worth looking at here.

• PMV recognition Depends on the PMV. I think we'd have to limit it to the point of custom animation for it, because there are sites that pmvtoday already geared toward this kind of thing. Only if the visual complements the music perfectly should this really be a thing, I think, and we'll need to focus on PMV makers more than individual videos if we want to retain the macro focus.

• NO ART. Let's keep this primarily music focused. IF any art, it should be limited to album covers, artists label designs, and things of that nature. Art can be useful for making a post header appealing. Obviously we're not going to have it as a regular thing, but we shouldn't resort to making posts completely bare of pictures simply because "it's not our aim."

• NO COMMUNITY POLLS. EQD and the like already do lots of stuff like that. IF we do, link it to MLR or something that won't create clutter on the blog We've already talked about this on Skype, but community polls would be useful for determining what listeners want so we can improve the blog. If this is going to be geared towards listeners more than musicians, the people who run the blog cannot be behind a brick wall. Yes, asking "what instrument do you play" is probably unnecessary, but polls can be practical for gauging our audience.

So yeah, lots of this stuff was already posted in the Skype chat, but I'm updating the MLR post here with my own responses on principle.
aka Scott Hopkins aka Swerve Keystyle aka Equestrian Threat: https://www.youtube.com/c/EquestrianThreat

I can't type cursive, so I don't know what's supposed to go in my signature.

Don't quote me.
ClaviSound

Primary: Audacity cuz sweg, Ableton
Cutie Mark: N/A

Postby ExoBassTix » 24 Oct 2013 14:31

Could I get in on the Skype chat? Can't promise 24/7 activity but I'd like to be more involved.
Name's GlitchHero9724.
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby ph00tbag » 24 Oct 2013 14:58

I think I'd like in on the Skype chat as well. Like Exo, I can't be on often, but I'd like to contribute where I can. My Skype name is ph00tbag.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

PreviousNext

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic