Who's the most overrated brony musician?

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Who's the most overrated brony musician?

Postby DerpyGrooves » 19 Aug 2013 18:38

Grooves

totally Grooves, dude.
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Re: Who's the most overrated brony musician?

Postby colortwelve » 19 Aug 2013 18:41

The Living Tombstone. Nobody who writes what are basically just commercial jingles should be anywhere near that popular.
Last edited by colortwelve on 20 Aug 2013 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
Youtube -- Soundcloud -- Tumblr -- Bandcamp (new album out!)

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Postby Motivfs » 19 Aug 2013 18:42

I personally think it's not right to go out and call other musicians "overrated" just because they are raved about by the fandom. Seems like jealousy to me.

..But that's just like... My opinion man... Do as you will.
Motivfs

Postby S.P.P » 19 Aug 2013 18:47

[/Serious]
DerpyGrooves, he sucks and he's an ass.

[Serious]
The Living Kicksnare is overrated imo, his songs all sound the same with the exception of Rainbow Nukestep, Dubstep Dishwasher, and maybe a couple others.

MicTheMicrophone. He's good at what he does, but hardly ever does it.

Sim Gretina. Just is.

Alex S. don't get me wrong, his music's damn awesome.. But not that awesome! Overhyped IMO, Silva has a very similar style which I personally think is better.

(Glaze). In terms of music, he's not overhyped because it's actually very good. But the fact he releases once every equinox kinda sets him back just a little.

Inb4 Omni. Omni's actually pretty good (except the mixing on basses but whatever), and is NOT overrated.

Also, I don't think it's right to have a thread like this, but seeing as it was here I posted.
Also also, all the musicians I listed are better than me and I openly acknowledge it, so don't call me out. :3

EDIT: Nobody make an "underrated Brony musician" thread - the list would be endless ..
Last edited by S.P.P on 20 Aug 2013 04:52, edited 1 time in total.
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby SevenUpPony » 19 Aug 2013 19:17

The Living Kicksnare is overrated imo, his songs all sound the same with the exception of Rainbow Nukestep, Dubstep Dishwasher, and maybe a couple others.

I gotta agree on that
https://soundcloud.com/sevenupp0n3/chasing-a-dream-before-time

"stoof"

DAW: FL Studio 10,11 [main], Ableton [meh], Cubase 5 [sorta]

VST's: Massive, Sylenth1, Zeta+2, Kontakt 5

Genres: DnB, House/Trance?,Ambient, Orchestral
SevenUpPony

Primary: FL Studio 12 Signature Bundle
Cutie Mark: Soda can

Postby Viricide Filly » 19 Aug 2013 19:22

OH MY GOD IT'S LIKE THIS THREAD WAS MADE FOR ME

1. The Livin tomb
Wtf, fandom. This guy is less talented than even [guy here with 400 subscribers]
HE HAS LIKE 2 OR 3 GOOD SONGS from a production standpoint he's bland from a structural and complexity standard he's bland from an everything standard he is a generic little boy isn't he? He's a nice guy and all but seriously...he literally recycled a melody for around FOUR SONGS. FOUR SONGS WITH THE EXACT SAME MELODY. His dubstep is the same thing over and over again, his balloon party song is the same thing over and over again, his voice is terrible and should be burned etc etc. HE IS NOWHERE NEAR GOOD ENOUGH TO JUSTIFY THAT AMOUNT OF HYPE, GUYS. SERIOUSLY.

2. sound of da flyin mashins
Wot. Again, his voice sucks. NEXT

3. Silva Hound
Stop making dubstep you can't make dubstep Stop making dubstep you can't make dubstep Stop making dubstep you can't make dubstep Stop making dubstep you can't make dubstep Stop making dubstep you can't make dubstep Stop making dubstep you can't make dubstep

4. Everywherehorse (Omnipone)
Okay, what? I've heard nearly every single one of his songs, okay. The songs that are good and unique are underrated/unpopular and the ones that feature the OmniGrowl and the OmniLaser over and over again in quick succession along to badly mixed shit and PONE VOX are like overrated as fuck? Excuse me? The only song of his that deserves to be as popular as it currently is is probably Poni Robots because that sounds like it has a FEKIN LEGIT AMOUNT OF WORK put into it. Fuck, man. Even Time Is Running Out isn't rated as it should be. And don't get me started on She's An Alarm Clock, that shouldn't even be on da interwebz.

5. MandoPony
His music is standable, I'll give him that. JUST STOP BEING A MASSIVE FUCKING CUNT.

6. Cirbama
Not NEARLY enough soundgoodizer in his music. What the hell is with that? I can also sense a distinct lack of 808 kicks in his tracks for rainbow and uprooted: one last shit. What a fucking dissapointment, bro ;-;
We breakfast is e

House. Glitch Hop. IDM. Breakbeat. Chillout. Footwork. Lo-fi. Vaporwave. Noise. These are some of the genres I like to completely ruin.
Viricide Filly

Primary: Hula Hoops
Cutie Mark: electric!1!11!

Postby topitmunkeydog » 19 Aug 2013 19:50

What's wrong with Mandopony? He's the most talented in his sheer knowledge of obscure instruments and all.

I'd agree with a lot of these opinions. I haven't heard many of the artists but I know they aren't too unique. But if people got well known for being unique, the music industry would be in a much better place than where it is today.
topitmunkeydog

Primary: (trying to learn) ableton
Cutie Mark: yes

Postby Facade » 19 Aug 2013 20:09

[/serious]
i am sorry guize

[serious]
idk probably tomb
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby simonli2575 » 19 Aug 2013 21:11

Motivfs wrote:I personally think it's not right to go out and call other musicians "overrated" just because they are raved about by the fandom. Seems like jealousy to me.

"Oh you're just jealous!" Said every illogical hater ever.
http://soundcloud.com/simonli2575
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
Software: FL Studio, Z3ta+2 & Massive
Hardware: Roland 800-Pro and a computer
Genres: Drum 'n' Bass and occasionally Jungle
Genres I want to try out: Dubstep, Breakcore, Hardstyle and Trap
Alycs made my new avatar. \o/
simonli2575

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Why are you staring at my ass

Postby Genkar » 19 Aug 2013 21:24

PYR3LIGHT wrote:Assertive. Just is.

Woahohoho back the fun bus up. Could you elaborate a bit here? Not trying to call you out on your opinion, I'm just genuinely curious here.

I mean, I personally think Assertive is probably up there as one of my favorite musicians in the fandom. His Hardcore stuff is incredible. I mean, I'd even go as far as to say it rivals that of big name Hardcore artists.
Percussionist - Electronic Musician In Training
Soundcloud/Youtube/Tumblr
Genkar

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby itroitnyah » 19 Aug 2013 22:17

The fandom generally overrates everything, but I'd really have to go with tombstone.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 19 Aug 2013 22:21

Easily Tombstone. Read Viri's little spiel on him, she covers pretty much everything I'd say about him.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby S.P.P » 20 Aug 2013 04:50

Genkar wrote:
PYR3LIGHT wrote:Assertive. Just is.

Woahohoho back the fun bus up. Could you elaborate a bit here? Not trying to call you out on your opinion, I'm just genuinely curious here.

I mean, I personally think Assertive is probably up there as one of my favorite musicians in the fandom. His Hardcore stuff is incredible. I mean, I'd even go as far as to say it rivals that of big name Hardcore artists.

Somehow I managed to get Assertive confused with Sim Gretina ._.
Shutup it was 2am when I wrote it. Fixed. :3
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby ganondox » 20 Aug 2013 07:44

DerpyGrooves wrote:Grooves

totally Grooves, dude.

Ooo, you're back. I thought you were gone.

Anyway, just because I put someone in my list doesn't mean I don't like their music or them as a person, just that they are far more popular than they should be for their music or are otherwise rated as being far better than they actually are.

The Livingtombstone: Okay, he has some pretty good songs, but he is very overly rated in the terms of his sheer popularity compared to the rest of the community. He definitely isn't the best for various reasons.

Mic: He rode into fame on a bunch of early collabs, and now he just reads stories to stay popular.

MandoPony: Based on the fact that he is the most popular rock musician in the fandom and there is lots of rock musicians who are far better, and his rock is his best music, he is clearly overrated. The only of his songs which are really top-tier in the fandom are his collabs with AcousticBrony, who are underrated in comparison.

Blaze and 50 other brostep producers: Just is. Most of them aren't that special.

I don't like most of Sim Gretina or Silva Hound's music, but as I'm not fans of their main genres I'm in no place to judge them.

SoGreatAndPowerful is somehow both underrated and overrated at the same time.

As for Omnipony, apparently all the musicians call him overrated, and he probably is, but even though I'm not a fan of dubstep I actually enjoy quite a few of his songs. Maybe I just haven't heard all his generic songs.

There are a plenty more musicians I would rate as overrated, but I wouldn't put them in the Most Overrated category, just as overrated. I'm going to say AssertiveFluttershy is NOT one of those. I've only heard a few of his/her songs, and even though I'm not a big fan of Dubstep (is that what he does? EDM genres confuse me) I've been impressed by everyone.

Ghelded Kultz: Why the hell would more than two people subscribe to these talentless hacks?
Last edited by ganondox on 20 Aug 2013 08:26, edited 1 time in total.
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Postby simonli2575 » 20 Aug 2013 07:50

ganondox wrote:Blaze and every other brostep producer: Just is. Most of them aren't that special.

FTFY.
http://soundcloud.com/simonli2575
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
Software: FL Studio, Z3ta+2 & Massive
Hardware: Roland 800-Pro and a computer
Genres: Drum 'n' Bass and occasionally Jungle
Genres I want to try out: Dubstep, Breakcore, Hardstyle and Trap
Alycs made my new avatar. \o/
simonli2575

Cutie Mark: Why are you staring at my ass

Postby ganondox » 20 Aug 2013 08:33

PYR3LIGHT wrote:The Living Kicksnare is overrated imo, his songs all sound the same with the exception of Rainbow Nukestep, Dubstep Dishwasher, and maybe a couple others.

So only his dubstep songs? Anyway, he recently started experimenting more, and even before than he has quite a few other songs that sound nothing like the rest of his discography.

He also has two Hebrew Rock songs that while they sound a bit similar to each other, they sound nothing like the rest of his music.

ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Postby Coloriot » 20 Aug 2013 09:50

Me. Definitely me. IM NOT THAT GOOD GUYS STOP SAYING I SHOULD HAVE 4000 SUBS AND WHATNOT
Colorkek that makes computer noises.

What's my main genre? All of them.

[Youtube] [Soundcloud] [EQBeats] [Bandcamp] [Twitter]
Coloriot

Primary: Ableton Live 7
Cutie Mark: Mac Color Wheel of Doom

Postby ExoBassTix » 20 Aug 2013 10:59

Well, I'll just tag along and act as if I actually want to take part in this thread's progression.
simonli2575 wrote:
ganondox wrote:Blaze and every other brostep producer: Just is. Most of them aren't that special.

FTFY.
This so much. I loved DJ Pon-3 before he released his last two albums. I hoped for more Progressive Trance.
Nah. Let's step it up.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby FLAOFEI » 20 Aug 2013 12:08

It's funny, cause I don't follow what the brony comunity overrates.
Still I notice it sometimes, and gennerally hate it... Problem is I'm never sure if I realy don't like it, or if I'm just butgurt cause I'm jelly :I
Also, if I don't like it I don't realy remember it... I can't remember anythinb by Tombstone... Idk...
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby PropellerEscape » 20 Aug 2013 12:43

OOooh one of these threads :3

Tombsnare - Same chord progression, melody and FUCKING SNARE in every track. That and I just don't like that type of music.

Blaze - He uses the same basses in every single track, and it's just all 2generic4me :c

But I think that most other musicians actually deserve their popularity. For example Assertive or MandoPony are very good at what they do :3
DAW - FL Studio 11

Main VSTs - Harmor, Harmless, Massive, Sytrus and FM8

My Main SoundCloud
My Experimental Soundcloud

Add me on Skype - PropellerEscapeMusic
PropellerEscape

Primary: Flel Studio 11.
Cutie Mark: Synth of Lel

Postby Tasorrog » 20 Aug 2013 14:44

This thread is overrated :|
Tasorrog

Primary: Fl Studio
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Conchetupony » 20 Aug 2013 14:56

ganondox wrote:
PYR3LIGHT wrote:The Living Kicksnare is overrated imo, his songs all sound the same with the exception of Rainbow Nukestep, Dubstep Dishwasher, and maybe a couple others.

So only his dubstep songs? Anyway, he recently started experimenting more, and even before than he has quite a few other songs that sound nothing like the rest of his discography.

-lala youtube-

He also has two Hebrew Rock songs that while they sound a bit similar to each other, they sound nothing like the rest of his music.

Agree with this; he's definitely been trying new stuff recently.

Overrated artists: Everyone who doesn't do some kind of EDM :D!
oops I dropped the bass

will you pick it up for me
Conchetupony

Primary: Ardour 3.3.1
Cutie Mark: Mindlessly rocking out

Postby Nine Volt » 20 Aug 2013 15:00

Kyoga wrote:Do you guys really think it's a good idea to have a thread that's about railing against musicians you guys think are 'overrated'?

A mod created the thread, so it must be a good idea.

...Right?
Nine Volt

Postby DJ Skrudge » 20 Aug 2013 18:36

ganondox wrote:
I'm going to say AssertiveFluttershy is NOT one of those. I've only heard a few of his/her songs, and even though I'm not a big fan of Dubstep (is that what he does? EDM genres confuse me) I've been impressed by everyone.

UK Hardcore bro :)

Personally I don't think any brony musician is truly overrated. Most if not all popular brony musicians are popular simply because people enjoy their music. (Almost) every subscriber/follower they have is a fan of what they do. If someone made what they thought was the best song in the world and no one watched/liked it, would that make them underrated? Conversely, if you didn't like a song but everyone else did, does that make it overrated? Sometimes it's not all about the mixing/mastering, complexity etc. Sometimes it's just that a song reaches out to people in different ways, even if it might not be the most technically perfect song. Remember music is a subjective experience, and what might be overrated and boring to you might be someone else's favourite song. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the most popular musicians in the fandom are those whose music touches the most people in a positive way, rather than them being 'overrated' or whatever.

idk, just a small rant, apologies if none of this is relevant/makes sense, I'm kinda sick right now :P
I worship Fluttershy.
DJ Skrudge

Postby Ben » 20 Aug 2013 19:13

Daniel Ingram all his songs sound the same ,
Expect to read & view opinions on ponys , music & pop culture all with my raw, uncut & cynical sense of humor. I.E. the Deadpool of the horse fandom .

My Tumblr:http://soultensionb.tumblr.com/
My skype:bejaminz410
My Genitalia:http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJQjrVr8sQwDFlVYOE6MmVg
Ben

Next

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic