Additional Genres to add the Brony Musician Directory??

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Additional Genres to add the Brony Musician Directory??

Postby Freewave » 06 Jul 2013 16:59

Hey guys I was wondering if there were any additional genres i was going to need to consider adding to expand the BMD Genre Section
http://bronymusiciandirectory.blogspot. ... ction.html

Any that we've clearly overlooked?

I was thinking of MAYBE adding Electro-Swing (Granny Apple) and Trap (Chrysalis) but each of those isn't necessarily an immediate demand (not too many track from there tbh) and frankly there aren't many track STILL.

Other omissions and additions could be Funk/Disco (Berry Punch), Adult Contemporary (Celestia), and Prog (ie Rock and Electronic hybrids (Cadence? Not sure ))

Is there an accepted term for music like Anthropology or Daddy Discord? Showtunes or Musicals?(Flim-Flam)

anyway instead of brainstorming along i thought i'd ask and see what people thought i should add and what was NEEDED. Thoughts?
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Re: Additional Genres to add the Brony Musician Directory??

Postby Icky » 06 Jul 2013 17:11

Its probably a better idea to make less tags. Some of the tags aren't entirely accurate and have a small amount of songs in them.
Icky

Postby Freewave » 06 Jul 2013 17:27

Well i wouldn't want to decrease what we have now although maybe an increase in genres isn't necessarily a necessity if there's not much music out there. Music like country is incredibly small but there's SOME out there. What genre tags do you see that are unreliable? I'd be happy to edit and clean up any that are off if i know where the flaws are at.
Freewave

Postby Icky » 06 Jul 2013 18:16

Mainly the hardstyle one. I'd recommend renaming it to Harddance since there's some hands up (A different harddance subgenre) in there as well. Hardstyle is also not really known for it's "retro sound" (if anything it's one of the most modern sounding dance subgenres)

Also make sure to add this track in there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nryRsvFuOf4

I'd also recommend renaming hip-hop to rap (a lot of the songs in the tag are not hiphop, just songs that feature rapping)

Dubstep is not "the youngest and most popular major electronic genre.", in fact it's more than 10 years old (Moombah is like 3 years old, "EDM Trap" is 2 years old maybe, etc.) and I'd say house is definitely more popular.

Drum and Bass was never "occasionally known as jungle". Jungle is a different genre that overlaps a lot with DnB. The lines are pretty blurry but it's not like how Hands Up! is sometimes called Eurotrance. They're seperate genres.

I found the electrotag quite confusing. "Electro" is one of the vaguest names. It's probably a better idea to put the complextro and electrohouse tracks in the house tag itself. The griffin village song fits better with the Synthpop tag.
Last edited by Icky on 07 Jul 2013 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
Icky

Postby Freewave » 06 Jul 2013 18:34

Well you've pulled up some good suggestions.

I can get rid of the retro sound blip in Hardstyle sentence. I am a bit confused about the Hardstyle/Harddance break off tho, are you saying the latter is the parent genre as i though everyone used the former? I would want to feature just the one parent for the whole batch. If i should swap terms i guess i could do so but msot eveyone i've seen uses the Hardstyle term. A lot of those gerne "terms" are new while some of musical styles where they came from are older and different (gabber/happy hardcore) and those are what I'm used to.

I meant Dubstep is one of the youngest out of the rest (trance, house, etc) and a parent genre but maybe thats unclear and can be better written. Biggest PARENT genre of the 00's? Clearly.

Maybe Hip-Hop/Rap (dual name and entry)

Electro i'm using for both Electro House and Complextro. There's just too much blurring already so it's best to keep that as genreric as possible. I may add a search parameter for complextro if people wanna show up in results for it.

Can better write that Jungle bit (evolved from would have been better) but both would be under that single entry of Drum & Bass.

Thanks Icky, appreciate the feedback.. Some things to fix
Freewave

Postby Icky » 06 Jul 2013 19:03

No problem!

Hardstyle is a Harddance subgenre, it's currently the most popular one by far but Harddance also includes genres like Hardhouse, Hard NRG, Hardtrance, Jump and (argueably) Hands Up and Donk/Hardbass/Scouse/Bounce House.

Drum and Bass evolved from Rave and Breakbeat. From what I've heard it was born around the same time as Jungle. I will admit I'm not entirely sure about this though.

Dubstep originates from 1999-2000, It's actually quite an old (relatively of course) genre. Even the whole "brostep" thing isn't all that young. I mean Rusko's Babylon Vol 1. is almost 6 years old already. I honestly don't think it really deserves the tag "young" but that's just me. As for the beat style, it's more inspired by UK garage, DnB and Grime (not hiphop). The brits love their breaks and shuffles so ofcourse dubstep also has those haha.
Icky

Postby simonli2575 » 06 Jul 2013 19:59

Icky wrote:Drum and Bass evolved from Rave and Breakbeat. From what I've heard it was born around the same time as Jungle. I will admit I'm not entirely sure about this though.

[Ignoring Breakbeat because I don't know anything about it]
Rave came first, then Jungle, and finally DnB.
http://soundcloud.com/simonli2575
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
Software: FL Studio, Z3ta+2 & Massive
Hardware: Roland 800-Pro and a computer
Genres: Drum 'n' Bass and occasionally Jungle
Genres I want to try out: Dubstep, Breakcore, Hardstyle and Trap
Alycs made my new avatar. \o/
simonli2575

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Why are you staring at my ass

Postby CDPP » 06 Jul 2013 22:50

Don't mean to sound like a twat but is there a proper name for chillstep?
CDPP

Postby Freewave » 07 Jul 2013 07:28

Icky wrote:No problem!

Hardstyle is a Harddance subgenre, it's currently the most popular one by far but Harddance also includes genres like Hardhouse, Hard NRG, Hardtrance, Jump and (argueably) Hands Up and Donk/Hardbass/Scouse/Bounce House.

Drum and Bass evolved from Rave and Breakbeat. From what I've heard it was born around the same time as Jungle. I will admit I'm not entirely sure about this though.

Dubstep originates from 1999-2000, It's actually quite an old (relatively of course) genre. Even the whole "brostep" thing isn't all that young. I mean Rusko's Babylon Vol 1. is almost 6 years old already. I honestly don't think it really deserves the tag "young" but that's just me. As for the beat style, it's more inspired by UK garage, DnB and Grime (not hiphop). The brits love their breaks and shuffles so ofcourse dubstep also has those haha.

Yeah the Hardstyle / Harddance genre was really my blind spot as i just haven't heard many people talk in more detail about them (and many of those genres like Hands Up, etc). If you ever want to put together a list discussing those genres/scenes and essential tracks lemme know as those are clearly missing from the RYM Box Set Project I've been running and you clearly know about those. I really don't like having a big gap that's not covered and those are genres not discussed or even on that website.

The rest of the stuff I know but I really threw those descriptions up too quickly and haven't gotten back any feedback on their inaccuracy until now. shall ammend those soon.
Freewave

Postby Freewave » 07 Jul 2013 07:37

simonli2575 wrote:
Icky wrote:Drum and Bass evolved from Rave and Breakbeat. From what I've heard it was born around the same time as Jungle. I will admit I'm not entirely sure about this though.

[Ignoring Breakbeat because I don't know anything about it]
Rave came first, then Jungle, and finally DnB.

Rave in the form of UK Breakbeat (Acen, Prodigy) it sped up and split into Jungle and Happy Happy Hardcore, Jungle then went lighter and more "intelligent" becoming the Drum & Bass of today (with MANY variations and subgenres mind you).
Freewave

Postby Icky » 07 Jul 2013 09:10

CDPP wrote:Don't mean to sound like a twat but is there a proper name for chillstep?

Yeah there is, it's called "dubstep". In fact dubstep started out really chill. It's kind of silly to start calling the chill stuff "chillstep" now.

I hope you see what I mean.

I honestly can't say I'm an expert on harddance. I know that at one point producers started producing hardcore and dance influenced stuff and called it hardhouse/harddance. Origin would probably be around 1995. I do know my hardstyle though.
Hardstyle came into existance when dutch hardcore gabber producers jumped on the harddance train in 1998-2000.

Hardstyle then developed over time, getting it's own signature sound seperating it from other harddance genres. Strike Again 2004 by donkey rollers is probably one of the best examples.

It features both the distorted 909 kick (0:42), and the "reverse bass" (2:20), an offbeat bassline made by reversing a distorted kickdrum sound.

In 2006 we start seeing producers like Headhunterz, Zany, The Pitcher, etc add more complex melodies to their tracks. Because of this, they also started pitching their kickdrums to fit the melody. The result is so called "Nustyle", hate it or love it but it's the style that got hardstyle as popular as it is today.

The last couple of years hardstyle has been getting more and more popular outside of the Netherlands. As a result we see big name artists within the genre like Headhunterz get signed to Ultra and Noisecontrollers to OWLSA. The genre is really diverse, ranging from the extremely melodic and upbeat mainstream hardstyle to dark gritty "rawstyle".

Here are some examples of other harddance genres, you'll probably notice the similarities (similar BPM, 4 on the floor) but they're definitely not hardstyle.

Hardtrance

Hands Up!

Jump

Sorry for hijacking this thread haha, you seemed interested so there you go.
Icky

Postby Freewave » 07 Jul 2013 09:49

No definitely interested and i appreciate the clarification ;)

So was most of Archie's stuff technically "hands up"? Guess i always thought of that stuff as electro house but they sound reAlly similar....
Freewave

Postby Icky » 07 Jul 2013 10:09

Well swedish house is heavily influenced by Hands Up!, biggest difference is the BPM (swed house is 128, hands up is 140-145), hands up has a offbeat bassline, etc. The song I linked does take some influences from swedish house itself with the melody style. Perhaps this song would be a better example?

EDIT: I do believe Archie actually did 1 or 2 Hands Up songs as well, but most of his stuff is Swedish House.
Icky

Postby HMage » 07 Jul 2013 10:16

Needs more saxophone.
HMage

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Viricide Filly » 07 Jul 2013 10:17

Add the genre "Liquid Post-modern rock jazz acid fusion corestep"
We breakfast is e

House. Glitch Hop. IDM. Breakbeat. Chillout. Footwork. Lo-fi. Vaporwave. Noise. These are some of the genres I like to completely ruin.
Viricide Filly

Primary: Hula Hoops
Cutie Mark: electric!1!11!

Postby CDPP » 07 Jul 2013 16:17

Icky wrote:
CDPP wrote:Don't mean to sound like a twat but is there a proper name for chillstep?

Yeah there is, it's called "dubstep". In fact dubstep started out really chill. It's kind of silly to start calling the chill stuff "chillstep" now.

(Link to Rusko's Jahova)

I might have to disagree with you on that. So far my only understanding of dubstep would be wobble basses with a shuffle rhythm like Babylon Vol. 1 which you've just linked and stuff like

But what I meant by chillstep was stuff that have way higher distorted basses and just generally have a faster feel to it. Also they usually start off with a melodic intro.
I'm not good with genres so my bad if this sounds completely dumb.

CDPP

Postby Freewave » 07 Jul 2013 16:30

Sure it will be Dubstep, just like the typical guitar-bass-drums thing will be Rock as those are the parent genres. Doesn't give you a whole lot of meaning though and that's why they split into subgenres. If you wanna call it Chillstep (as a subgenre/style) to be more specific that's cool as i think that's what most people are calling it.

I did the changes to the genre list as Icky recommended. I would love to add to the harddance page if anyone has any suggestions for that or any other other page. Again feel free to recommend any additions or edits and I'll consider them.
Freewave

Postby Icky » 07 Jul 2013 17:49

Just one thing, Harddance doesn't really have a gabber kick style. Jump and Hardstyle are the only genres that feature gabber inspired kicks, most other genres just use a strong clubkick. Harddance is the name given to harder dance music, that's not yet in the Hardcore ballpark. BPM is usually between 140 and 160 and they have a bigger emphasis on the kickdrum.
Icky

Postby Freewave » 07 Jul 2013 18:15

Ok I'll edit that. But its fair to say high bpm, hard kick, and 4/4 = harddance ?

I've got room for 3 or so more harddance tracks to embed, what would you like to see up there? ;)
Freewave

Postby Mr.Afrox » 07 Jul 2013 18:35

Raggacore or globally anything that is "core" :3
Mr.Afrox

Primary: FL STUDIO 11.04
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Freewave » 07 Jul 2013 18:40

I don't think there's many people MAKING brony raggacore and that could all easily fit under hardcore.
Freewave

Postby Icky » 07 Jul 2013 18:58

How can genres like raggacore or electroswing, which heavily rely on sampling specific genres, even be "brony"?
Icky

Postby Icky » 07 Jul 2013 19:26

Well it's not like with dubstep or trance or rock or something where you can definitely have a theme going on. With electroswing you're bound to the song you sample.
Icky

Postby Nine Volt » 07 Jul 2013 19:44

How can an instrumental song be brony? Like, I'm talking one that is brony in name only and not "clearly" inspired by the show (and I use that phrase loosely), like a good 3/4 of the shitty dubstep that this fandom churns out on a daily basis like slurry from the McDonald's meat making machine (hm, the end of that sentence sure had some added alliterative appeal). I'm sure you've got a lot of that on BMD.
Nine Volt

Postby Freewave » 07 Jul 2013 20:41

Icky wrote:How can genres like raggacore or electroswing, which heavily rely on sampling specific genres, even be "brony"?

by showing their link back to the source influence, mlp ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT57Rppf4-A

Nine Volt wrote:How can an instrumental song be brony? Like, I'm talking one that is brony in name only and not "clearly" inspired by the show (and I use that phrase loosely), like a good 3/4 of the shitty dubstep that this fandom churns out on a daily basis like slurry from the McDonald's meat making machine (hm, the end of that sentence sure had some added alliterative appeal). I'm sure you've got a lot of that on BMD.

I agree that an instrumental and only a cute picture of a pony mostly does not cut it...take for example most of silva's french house albums with a pony on the album cover, sampling old disco tunes, but not a whole of real "this is why its pony" correlation. It takes channeling a specific theme and explaining in the description, art, or titles to make it clear and really make that connection.

Tbh there's a lot of pino in the community and that's partially why i'm not a big fan of instrumentals being a huge chunk of the brony community's output. But a lot of people do them, are on eqd all the time, and many times they actually do explain the link and correlation in their song descriptions. I'm not going to go through and independently judge and put people into camps of pony and not pony unless its clear there is no link back to the show or if its horrible wips presented, in which case i'm not going to waste people's time putting them on. But you have to give people the benefit of the doubt if they are going to walk the walk and talk the talk. Makkon and NACP used to show a link to the show and do instrumentals and i think that shows how to do it RIGHT.

If you really want to look into the debate on pony vs pino (pony in name only) just read these:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2350
viewtopic.php?t=5814
http://mlpfanart.wikia.com/wiki/User_bl ... 2_Musician
Last edited by Freewave on 07 Jul 2013 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
Freewave

Next

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic