Additional Genres to add the Brony Musician Directory??

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Re: Additional Genres to add the Brony Musician Directory??

Postby Navron » 07 Jul 2013 21:01

> 2 years later. Still don't know what genre I do. Therefore I propose:

- Orchedustrialstep
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby ganondox » 07 Jul 2013 23:27

Freewave wrote: Prog (ie Rock and Electronic hybrids (Cadence? Not sure ))

That seems to be a pretty weird way to define Prog. First, not all Prog needs Electronic elements, and more importantly, most Electronic Rock has nothing to do with Prog. There is also Industrial Rock/Metal, general Electronic Rock like AWOLNATION and Infected Mushroom, and that Dnb Metal stuff that Pendulum popularized (well, to be fair Pendulum takes significant influence from Progressive Metal). Also, most modern Pop Rock is pretty Electronic heavy, and it's pretty much the opposite of Prog. I think there is more of that in the fandom than actual Prog.

Now, should Electronic Rock be a category? I say definitely. As for Prog, there isn't that much of it in the fandom, but there is some. The only artists who are significantly Prog who I can think of off the top of my head are Tarby, HeyLasFas, CrazyOatMeal, and Vafrous Coyote, but I know there is more. There is also quite a bit of Progressive Metal, but I think that's best lumped with Metal.

Anyway, are all those "ambient" tracks from people like Neighslayer and Dash Dub being lumped with downtempo? If not, they really need to be given their own category. Also, Post-Rock might be worth giving a category, or maybe make an Indie category to throw it in with Indie Folk and Shoegaze and the like. Maybe the Prog I think you are referring to can be thrown there as well.

By the way, we could make a showtunes genre, or we could probably lump Anthropology in with Jazz and Daddy Discord with Orchestral or something.

Viricide Filly wrote:Add the genre "Liquid Post-modern rock jazz acid fusion corestep"

I'm still waiting for Technical Symphonic Industrial Blackened Post-Deathcore/Doom
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Postby Freewave » 09 Jul 2013 10:55

Yeah i know prog is a lot more then just rock & electronic (constant changes and solos) but was just simplifying the description in the most basic way. There is definitely some brony prog out there i think. It does kind of suck throwing Rock in there w/o a lot of the divisions but its also hard to see where people are focusing a lot of the subgenre styles in.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby ganondox » 09 Jul 2013 11:40

Freewave wrote:Yeah i know prog is a lot more then just rock & electronic (constant changes and solos) but was just simplifying the description in the most basic way. There is definitely some brony prog out there i think. It does kind of suck throwing Rock in there w/o a lot of the divisions but its also hard to see where people are focusing a lot of the subgenre styles in.

Prog is really a rather vague genre, it doesn't technically require any specific characteristics. Anyway, there is definitely some brony prog, but I think it's more important for the Indie Rock sounding stuff to be given their own genre. Think of Derpidity as like the middle ground for that genre. There is more of that in the fandom, and it has a unifying enough sound. I think Brony Prog could be thrown in various genres depending on the song, including that one.
ganondox

Postby Freewave » 09 Jul 2013 13:56

Can anyone make a really strong case for alternative brony rock besides derpedity? He's clearly i think the most obvious example but i'd need to know a lot more people who do it to include it. Just use a post in here to include some artists or song links because that's I would have to do to create profile for it myself.
Freewave

Postby LoreRD » 09 Jul 2013 14:03

Besides Derpedity?

And The Rainfall, Cats Millionaire, AdamTh3Walker and SoGreatandPowerful (indietronica) are the ones off the top of my head. Pretty sure there's more out there.
DAW: Logic Pro Studio 9 | VSTs: Komplete 9 Ultimate
Piano Improvisations, Electro-orchestral-alternative instrumentals/remixes, drummer
Youtube | SoundCloud | tumblr
Brony Musician Directory
Thanks to Makkon for the avatar
LoreRD

Postby S.P.P » 09 Jul 2013 16:53

Maybe a "General" or "All-Rounder" section for people who flip-flop between styles?

Personally, I'll produce anything from noise to dubstep to house to speedcore, and that's before I even pick up my guitar or mic. I wouldn't be able to accurately assign myself a genre ..
I'm only really speaking from my point of view, but surely there are others that span multiple genres?
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby Freewave » 09 Jul 2013 17:40

Hey i know that feeling, variety IS my style. But yeah i can't make a genre section for ALL. :P
Freewave

Postby JSynth » 09 Jul 2013 19:02

I don't know what to call my music. Its sort of a blend between rock and electronic music with a bass guitar, acoustic drums and sometimes and electric guitar.

Do you think that it would hurt to have an "other genres" category?
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby ganondox » 09 Jul 2013 20:30

Freewave wrote:Can anyone make a really strong case for alternative brony rock besides derpedity? He's clearly i think the most obvious example but i'd need to know a lot more people who do it to include it. Just use a post in here to include some artists or song links because that's I would have to do to create profile for it myself.

Well there is AcousticBrony for one, though I was going with "Indie Rock", not "Alternative Rock". (If you consider Post-Grungey stuff to be Alternative Rock then there is some of that, but that's definitely NOT what I'm talking about. There is also the "not-quite-Pop-Punk" brand of Alternative Rock that is fairly popular in the fandom. Both of those are best thrown with general Rock or maybe Punk is certain instances.) Acoustic Brony's softer songs like their Celestia/Luna are the type of thing I'm thinking of here. Time Baby has only made two songs, but he has been spotlighted on EQD once and he does a very Indie Shoegazing style. 4Everfreebrony seems to make Indie Folk and conventional Rock, though not at the same time. I see Post-Rock pop up from time to time, but I can't think of a single steady source. I know CrazyOatMeal6 creates Prog, Post-Rock, and more conventional Rock. I'd lump Vafrous Coyote's stuff which isn't metal here. Tarby's cover of "Spring" is also the type of thing I'm thinking of.

JSynth wrote:I don't know what to call my music. Its sort of a blend between rock and electronic music with a bass guitar, acoustic drums and sometimes and electric guitar.

Do you think that it would hurt to have an "other genres" category?

This is why I think a general Electronic Rock category would be nice. I haven't listened to JSynth's music, but I don't think it's out-there enough to really be labeled as experimental, it's probably not Prog, but it probably doesn't fit very well in any of the listed EDM/Electronic genres or under Rock. If you don't want to use Electronic Rock as a label I think Industrial is a closer fit than Prog in most cases, but it's probably not an accurate label for most brony Electronic Rock either and likewise not all Industrial Music is related to Rock. If we're desperate we could just call it Electronica ;) .
ganondox

Postby Freewave » 11 Jul 2013 08:06

I can add additional search link to the rock section "indie", "alternative" to click in once peopel are in there. But rock is just a hard one to split as there's just not as much definite subgenre-lization going on that's clear and concise like the rest of music (and electro rock sadly isn't really a genre although people have spliced the 2 together for a long time)
Freewave

Postby ganondox » 11 Jul 2013 09:30

Freewave wrote:I can add additional search link to the rock section "indie", "alternative" to click in once peopel are in there. But rock is just a hard one to split as there's just not as much definite subgenre-lization going on that's clear and concise like the rest of music (and electro rock sadly isn't really a genre although people have spliced the 2 together for a long time)

Rock is a pretty broad genre, and while EDM's subgenres are pretty clear cut rock's are more vague. Anyway, IMO if Metal and Punk are given their own categories than the softer, more ambient breed of Rock should be given it's own category.
ganondox

Postby Freewave » 11 Jul 2013 09:43

So we do have the whole Apple family (cant figure out them electronics):

Rock
Country
Metal
Punk/Ska
Acoustic (would include folk and such)
Freewave

Postby ganondox » 11 Jul 2013 10:43

Freewave wrote:So we do have the whole Apple family (cant figure out them electronics):

Rock
Country
Metal
Punk/Ska
Acoustic (would include folk and such)

Oh, so that's why you were going with Prog and Cadance (I think Celestia would be a better fit) with the definition being electronic rock XD.

Still, Scootaloo isn't an Apple, and Granny Smith isn't there.
ganondox

Postby Freewave » 11 Jul 2013 11:00

Meh not a perfect fit (scoot's an orphan so he can be an honorary apple). Granny would be electro swing (but that throws the whole anti-electronic apple wing out). Celestia is adult contemporary in my book. I put Cadence as prog as she's a bit of the enigma but i guess someone else could be it instead. Prog / Post-Rock could really get its own listing tbh as its definitely not "rock" in the traditional sense.

Its a shame Psychedelic Brony pulled his whole catalog from ytube. that just sucks.
Freewave

Postby Tasorrog » 11 Jul 2013 18:48

Just a question, why is there a hardcore selection and a harddance one?
Tasorrog

Primary: Fl Studio
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby ganondox » 11 Jul 2013 18:51

That's what I was thinking, lump the Prog the doesn't fit with any other Rock genres (so no Prog Metal) and Post Rock together and you get a category. I don't think just Prog or Post Rock on their own really have enough support, and they have enough similarities.
Last edited by ganondox on 12 Jul 2013 08:06, edited 1 time in total.
ganondox

Postby S.P.P » 12 Jul 2013 04:06

Tasorrog wrote:Just a question, why is there a hardcore selection and a harddance one?

I personally wouldn't call things like speedcore, breakcore, terrorcore, etc. "harddance", but I would call it hardcore. Might be just me though.
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby Freewave » 12 Jul 2013 07:17

^ yup. Really the difference is in the 4/4 rythms of harddance and the breakbeats of hardcore. That's really where the split is. Of course both are hard. How hard? This hard!! :twisted:
Freewave

Postby Freewave » 07 Aug 2013 11:10

Dang i really need to implement some of these future genre pages. Most are in draft or just not completed yet. Grrrr.
Freewave

Previous

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic