10 Most Noteworthy Songs in the Brony Fandom

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

10 Most Noteworthy Songs in the Brony Fandom

Postby ganondox » 24 Jun 2013 10:20

Make a list of what you think of are the top 10 most noteworthy songs in the fandom. Interpret that as you want to, but I'm not looking for just your favorite songs, if it was my list would much different. I want it to be weighed on a number of factors ex. originality, legacy, quality ect. Also, try to put some variety in your list. I limited mine to one song per artist, but if you want to have multiple songs by the same artist feel free to do it.

Without further adieu, here I go.

Twilight's Big Adventure - Jeff Burgess

Okay, this is probably Jeff's worst song from a listening stand point, but the reason it's here is because I've seen nothing else like it, within or outside the fandom. I really want to make a full length Choose Your Own Rock Opera some time.

Anthropology - AwkwardMarina

This is here because it's own of the most unusual hits in the fandom. Big Band/Jazzy Showtunes(?) stuff is pretty rare nowaday's, so it's nice to see something like this. The musical theme, fanfic inspiritation, and storyboard video also enhance it.

Something Broke - Tarby

Now, this song is really something out there. This epic was made for Toastbeard after Tarby became infamous for submitting lengthy tracks, fellow musician Derpy Grooves declared he was going to make a 20-minute long song, and Tarby ascepted the challenge. The result was a 20-minute Progressive Rock Opera about Cupcakes, and stands for being the first thing like it. Later HeyLasFas created the grungy, hard-rocking, hour-long Nightfall about the fall of Luna, but the latter song does not have nearly as much of a legacy as Something Broke. The song has inspired fanfic, has been electronically remixed, and HeyLasFas has already made a song inspired by Forever Broken, an upcoming album expanding the piece.

First Flight - Pony Evening Star

Just look at the rating. Just at it. That might be the highest rating I've ever seen on a Youtube video (not counting 100% likes). 'Nuff said.

Lullaby for a Princess - Pony Phonic

Now, I know I had to put some song by Pony Phonic up, but I was unsure which one. I don't want to just put his most popular one up, because that will probably just change with time, so I tried to look at where his popularity exploded. It was probably because Daniel Ingram reposted a cover he did of Winter Wrap Up, but I don't want to post a show remix, so I settled with Lullaby because of this.

Party with Pinkie Pie - Alex S.

Being one of the oldest and most popular songs in the fandom, this was probably the song that set the stereotype of brony music as being Dubstep songs/remixes made from spliced audio clips from the show.

Loyalty - AcousticMandoBrony

Loyalty is probably biggest rock hit the fandom has ever had, tailing across the three official channels it's uploaded on it has well over a million views. While I say it isn't the best rock song from the fandom, it certainly set the standards for

For the New Lunar Republic - NotACleverPony

NotACleverPony is often considered to be the original Brony Musician, and likewise this song is probably the fandom's first hit. Not only did it spawn remixes ranging from EBM to Orchestral to Heavy Metal to Ambient, but it's best known for something else. While the song did not create the idea, it still single handedly spread the still popular meme of The New Lunar Republic vs The Solar Empire to the body of the fandom.

Discord - The Livingtombstone/Eurobeat Brony
I personally prefer Eurobeat Brony's original, but it's the remix that deserves to be on this list. The Livingstone Stone is the most popular musician within the fandom, and his remix is probably the single most popular song within the fandom. The remix has been remixed, it has it's own live action music video, and most importantly it was the first song from the fandom to be officially released on Rock Band's network. Coincidently, one of the two other brony songs featured on the network is also a version of Discord. However, I still don't believe this is the most noteworthy song from the fandom....

Rainbow Factory - Glaze

Now, to fully understand this song we must go back into the haunted depths of Toastbeard. Long ago there was competition there, the theme of which was "Where do rainbow's come from?". The winning song of the competition was none other than.....Rainbow's Blood by Interrobang Pie. Now, that song was forgotten, but in second place came Rainbow Factory, which is now one of the most popular songs in the fandom, and for good reason. The Woodentoaster manages to blend contrasting orchestral and dubstep elements in a non-clashing way to create what may be the fandom's most familiar song, inspiring countless remixes and covers in pretty much every genre known to the fandom. The song inspired the legendary grimdark fanfic Rainbow Factory, which is often regarded as the spiritual sucessor of cupcakes. A PMV for the song inspired by the fan fic has nearly twice as many views as the original uploading of the song, and the fic also inspired fan songs itself, causing the cycle to go full circle. It can be argued that no fan song has had a greater impact on the fandom than this.

I probably should have replaced one of those with one of Jackle App's Griffin Village songs, but I don't know which. Winterglade by Makkon is another song I was thinking of as a candidate. Anyway, I want to hear your lists.
Last edited by ganondox on 24 Jun 2013 20:06, edited 2 times in total.
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Re: 10 Most Noteworthy Songs in the Brony Fandom

Postby Mr.Afrox » 24 Jun 2013 10:33

My lists would be all the songs youve posted but only adding,Beyond her garden by woodentoaster
Mr.Afrox

Primary: FL STUDIO 11.04
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Viricide Filly » 24 Jun 2013 15:38

Every song on my list would be "Song for an earth pony" by Replacer, except the 10th one would be "Luna's Ruse" by Zahqo.
We breakfast is e

House. Glitch Hop. IDM. Breakbeat. Chillout. Footwork. Lo-fi. Vaporwave. Noise. These are some of the genres I like to completely ruin.
Viricide Filly

Primary: Hula Hoops
Cutie Mark: electric!1!11!

Postby LoreRD » 24 Jun 2013 16:39

Viricide Filly wrote:Every song on my list would be "Song for an earth pony" by Replacer, except the 10th one would be "Luna's Ruse" by Zahqo.

She gets it ^^

Seriously, Song for an Earth Pony is still my favorite.

As for "actually noteworthy" songs, I'm noting a severe lack of SoGreatandPowerful on your list (probably switch out Jeff's track for Sgap's remix of Flutterwonder). And I'd change Loyalty to I'll Fly Higher. Avast Fluttershy's Ass should at least get a mention somewhere, too
DAW: Logic Pro Studio 9 | VSTs: Komplete 9 Ultimate
Piano Improvisations, Electro-orchestral-alternative instrumentals/remixes, drummer
Youtube | SoundCloud | tumblr
Brony Musician Directory
Thanks to Makkon for the avatar
LoreRD

Postby ganondox » 24 Jun 2013 20:02

LoreRD wrote:
Viricide Filly wrote:Every song on my list would be "Song for an earth pony" by Replacer, except the 10th one would be "Luna's Ruse" by Zahqo.

She gets it ^^

Seriously, Song for an Earth Pony is still my favorite.

As for "actually noteworthy" songs, I'm noting a severe lack of SoGreatandPowerful on your list (probably switch out Jeff's track for Sgap's remix of Flutterwonder). And I'd change Loyalty to I'll Fly Higher. Avast Fluttershy's Ass should at least get a mention somewhere, too

While it's by no means my favorite song, I consider Song for an Earth Pony to be one of the most notable songs in the fandom. I forgot about it at the time, but if I were to expand this to a top 20 I would definitely include it.

Yeah, I was thinking about putting something by SoGreatandPowerful, but I couldn't think of any specific song by him, and it's pretty hard to select a most notable song when you don't have a song. I was thinking about including Fluttershy's lament or Flutterwonder, so I guess SGAP's remix of Flutterwonder might work.

Loyalty and I'll Fly Higher are more or less interchangeable for the purposes of this, but I'm pretty sure Loyalty is more popular, at least in terms of views, covers, and remixes.

I didn't put Avast Flutter's Ass on because I was only doing one per person, and for various reasons I consider Rainbow Factory to be more noteworthy. If I was doing multiple songs per person I'd also put up Luna (well, it was the Livingtombstone version of Discord that I put up.)
ganondox

Postby itroitnyah » 24 Jun 2013 21:37

I haven't listened to much pony music at all since Balloon Party, but Glaze, Alex S's pony stuff, and a lot of Tombstone's older stuff would find a place in my list. I don't know where Glaze has gone with his music, he hasn't posted a new song in quite some time (about 4 months), and I don't check out his tumblr enough (what happened to his tumblr, btw? Nothing pops up). Alex S is just out of the pony scene pretty much, even though every 4th comment on his new videos is pony related, lul. Tombstones newer stuff is just weird.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Freewave » 25 Jun 2013 10:14

Let's not talk too much about people are falling out of the fandom (H8 Seed is out too) as that just gets depressing, but op's post was pretty good. Why just 10 though?

I'd have to add:

Makkon - Luna Deos
Eurobeat Brony - Luna
Jackle App - Spring (almost anything from the Seasons ep is classic)
Pinkie Pie Swear - Flutterwonder is likely more well known but Sunshine and Celery Stalks is my fav
Dr. Dissonance - Art of the Industry (Rarity IS Industry)
Silva Hound - The Seventh Wonderbolt
SoGreatandPowerful - A Beautiful Heart
Fragmentd - Balloons in My Basket
Archie - Rainbow n Dash
Stars in Autumn - No Strings Attached
Swagberg - Pony Swag

By the way for the 1000th time Avast Fluttershy's Ass is a COVER of a Renard song.

Maybe i should do a second disc for this someday but I'm not sure how many tracks i'd consider classic in 2012-onwards....
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Lying Pink » 25 Jun 2013 12:39

Freewave wrote:By the way for the 1000th time Avast Fluttershy's Ass is a COVER of a Renard song.

Yeah, I wish more people remembered/knew that, too
But it doesn't stop it from being a notable song in the fandom, right? I mean, 'Tainted Love' by Soft Cell is a cover, but their version was more influential to synthpop/new wave than the original was to soul

I'd add to the listmaking but my knowledge of fandom music isn't broad/deep enough to really have anything insightful to add :I
Fnord.
Soundcloud | Tumblr | Skype | YouTube | Email
/)__~
</</
Lying Pink

Primary: Reaper
Cutie Mark: Knees

Postby Freewave » 25 Jun 2013 13:42

Yeah it's notable but it's important that bronies know that it was a part of the already existing and larger well known meme http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/avast-your-ass All they did was put yay's over the original track's melody.

The footnote is the brony version, the original is more notable. Can't really say the same for Tainted Love which came out decades later and was much more successful. ;)
Freewave

Postby ganondox » 25 Jun 2013 21:25

Freewave wrote:Yeah it's notable but it's important that bronies know that it was a part of the already existing and larger well known meme http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/avast-your-ass All they did was put yay's over the original track's melody.

The footnote is the brony version, the original is more notable. Can't really say the same for Tainted Love which came out decades later and was much more successful. ;)

Well Avast Flutter's has well more than twice as many views as the original, while all the other spinoffs have no where near as many views as the original. As mentioned in the comments on the article, it's out of date.

On another note, I picked 10 because 10 is a nice round number. If you want to go with another number go with another number.
ganondox

Postby Sonarch » 25 Jun 2013 21:40

I can agree with you on a lot of these, though there are almost too many notable songs to have a top 10 without leaving a few songs out. I would make a list myself, but I am severely behind on this fandom's music output. But to be fair, we as a whole make a ton of music.
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Primary: FL Studio

Postby Freewave » 26 Jun 2013 07:40

I'm not sure how many tracks in 2012 onwards REALLY become classic on the same par as what came out in 2011. There's just so much music that came out during those later years that a lot of it got drowned out. It was a bit easier for something to be classic during those formative years when everyone was listening to that smaller collection of artists. This page has a few of the tracks that made for 2012 at least http://bronymusiciandirectory.blogspot. ... -2012.html

Likewise here's some 2011 lists.
Freewave

Postby ganondox » 26 Jun 2013 11:25

Freewave wrote:I'm not sure how many tracks in 2012 onwards REALLY become classic on the same par as what came out in 2011. There's just so much music that came out during those later years that a lot of it got drowned out. It was a bit easier for something to be classic during those formative years when everyone was listening to that smaller collection of artists. This page has a few of the tracks that made for 2012 at least http://bronymusiciandirectory.blogspot. ... -2012.html

Likewise here's some 2011 lists.

There is a few songs on those lists which I consider classics as opposed to just being popular, but I think they all came out early on in 2012. There is of course the reason you stated, but there is also the fact that with the fandom being older the new songs have to compete with the old songs as well, and finally it takes time to figure out if something became a classic or not.
ganondox

Postby Conchetupony » 26 Jun 2013 16:40

Princewhateverer - Rainbow Thrash
dat riff.

Secret Metal - Clopper
dat riff. Pretty nicely structured too - the bridges are really interesting and the whole song is catchy as hell.

Everything by VocalScorePony
New guy, still very underrated. He's got an amazing voice and his guitar arrangements are nice.

Assertive Fluttershy - Boo Hoo

Bronyfied ft. Cyril the Wolf - Fight For The Crystal Empire

AcousticBrony & MandoPony - Kindness
it's better than Loyalty. :U

Griffin & Toastwaffle - It'll Be Okay

GatoPaint ft. ShadowCatKirara - Luna's Rebellion
Great riffs and vocals. They played this one live at a Chilean meet-up, shame nobody uploaded a video of that, as that actually sounded better than this version. xP

Fighting is Magic OST
All of it.

WoodenToaster & Living Tombstone - Love Me Cheerilee
Simple and catchy

NeedsMoreDjent/Pinkie Guy - Flutterage
This fandom does, indeed, need more like this.

So yeah that's actually quite a bit more than 10 - as I included an entire user's discography and a game's OST - but these are my favorites.
oops I dropped the bass

will you pick it up for me
Conchetupony

Primary: Ardour 3.3.1
Cutie Mark: Mindlessly rocking out

Postby ganondox » 27 Jun 2013 09:25

Conchetupony wrote:So yeah that's actually quite a bit more than 10 - as I included an entire user's discography and a game's OST - but these are my favorites.

Well I specifically said I was looking for what tracks you thought were the most noteworthy, not necessarily your favorites.
ganondox

Postby Conchetupony » 27 Jun 2013 21:19

ganondox wrote:Well I specifically said I was looking for what tracks you thought were the most noteworthy, not necessarily your favorites.

If judging by legacy, influence and popularity, then it'd have to be "Rainbow Thrash", "It'll Be Okay", and the Fighting is Magic OST, off my list. I'd add Bronyfied's Metal Medley too, but I don't like that.
oops I dropped the bass

will you pick it up for me
Conchetupony

Primary: Ardour 3.3.1
Cutie Mark: Mindlessly rocking out

Postby Sonarch » 02 Jul 2013 19:22

Conchetupony wrote:Everything by VocalScorePony
New guy, still very underrated. He's got an amazing voice and his guitar arrangements are nice.

Sorry to be not on topic but yes this guy is a wizard
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Primary: FL Studio

Postby StevenAD » 02 Jul 2013 20:55

I don't have a big long list, but I'd like to throw out The Gypsy Bard as well. That song is brilliant and I don't say that about a lot of songs.
RIP Kiki Havivy. You will be missed...
StevenAD

Postby ganondox » 11 Jul 2013 01:08

How did I forget Daddy Discord?

Anyway, it's mainly the video that got it popular, but the whole concept and fan reaction still makes it very noteworthy.
ganondox

Postby JSynth » 11 Jul 2013 08:40

itroitnyah wrote:(what happened to his tumblr, btw? Nothing pops up).

He changed his url to wooden-towbar.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic