Pony.fm

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Pony.fm

Postby CDPP » 23 Apr 2013 07:38

Your thoughts on this site?

https://pony.fm/

Personally I think it's great, but haven't we already been saturated with enough music websites as it is?
CDPP

Re: Pony.fm?

Postby LoreRD » 23 Apr 2013 13:20

Not really, the only other website that's dedicated towards pony music is eqbeats and EqDmusic is a joke. I don't consider two websites "over-saturation".

Pony.fm has a really nice interface and system, so I really hope it'll grow.
DAW: Logic Pro Studio 9 | VSTs: Komplete 9 Ultimate
Piano Improvisations, Electro-orchestral-alternative instrumentals/remixes, drummer
Youtube | SoundCloud | tumblr
Brony Musician Directory
Thanks to Makkon for the avatar
LoreRD

Postby Alycs » 23 Apr 2013 14:58

yeah, this looks like EqD Music done right.
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 23 Apr 2013 15:35

I see nothing wrong with this. I actually kind of like it and hope that it gets larger, it needs more music.
Bronies Are Cool

Cutie Mark: Snowboard

Postby JSynth » 23 Apr 2013 15:38

My only thing so far is the fact that it does only accepts lossless formats. All of my masters have been MP3s.
It's really no big deal, I will probably just pick a few songs to bounce again for an upload.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby itroitnyah » 23 Apr 2013 16:22

Seeing this site you linked reminds me of all the struggling beginners who are making mediocre music and haven't been finding help, or just never bother to find help, but mostly the people who do it for e-fame, lol. But perhaps it's just me.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby CDPP » 23 Apr 2013 16:57

You're posts lately have become increasingly cynical and disillusioned, though I suppose you do have a point.
CDPP

Postby DusK » 24 Apr 2013 02:44

I've been testing Pony.fm for a few months, so I figured I might jump in here and clear some stuff up. I'll keep an eye on this thread and try to answer any questions anyone feels like asking, address any concerns or misconceptions about the site, etc. etc. I maintain a direct line to Feld0, so if you have any questions you want to ask him, you can post them here, though I'm sure he'd rather you sign up, check out the site yourself, and post feedback/questions/suggestions/bug reports yourselves.

To address comparisons to EqDMusic: Pony.fm isn't meant to be like EqDMusic. EqDMusic is a simplistic site designed to take suggestions for music that's hosted off-site and subject them to a rudimentary user-based voting process to determine where the track sits in various popularity rankings.

Pony.fm is a music hosting site, similar to other music hosting sites such as SoundCloud, but with a large social network feel, similar to deviantART.

JSynth wrote:My only thing so far is the fact that it does only accepts lossless formats. All of my masters have been MP3s.
It's really no big deal, I will probably just pick a few songs to bounce again for an upload.

Aside from that not being a very good practice, there are issues with re-compressing tracks. The long and short is that, in order to provide a consistent experience for listeners on Pony.fm, a lossless file is necessary to ensure that any lossy-format downloads/playback have only one degree of sound loss.

itroitnyah wrote:Seeing this site you linked reminds me of all the struggling beginners who are making mediocre music and haven't been finding help, or just never bother to find help, but mostly the people who do it for e-fame, lol. But perhaps it's just me.

Ways for people to receive feedback are being discussed. I've proposed a feedback request system that would tie in to recruitment for the judges panel that would handle the inevitable "spotlighting" system. Feld0 seems receptive of the idea, but we'll see.

eery wrote:I was thinking this site maybe wouldnt get any traffic, so to test I uploaded a track, and I was actually a bit surprised that it got both plays and downloads. Dunno if some of those were automated, but still.

Except that there is no quality control, so everything gets in, this really just seems like a betterlooking eqbeats. And I already liked eqbeats, so this is a major plus in my book. Will be intresting to see it grow.

A way to spotlight quality music is an ongoing discussion. It's going to happen eventually. I don't wanna speak for Feld0 here, but it seems like he really wants to focus on making sure the site's as functional as possible before coding the judging system.

Plays and downloads are in no way automated. Yeah, I asked that question too. ;)
DusK

Postby Freewave » 24 Apr 2013 08:45

It's a really great site and I've been on there for several months. I suggested a few things inthe past to eqbeats on how to improve their site previously, they opted for the stripped down minimal setup for their site with minimal development. I think pony.fm catches that their should be more of a community vibe to hosting and a lot more features and visual appeal. Hosting has also has to be accompanied with giving a good listening experience for people who want to browse through an check out music. There's no point hosting music if people aren't going to find the music or have a chance to explore. Between genre searches, popular tracks, and recent releases it's like the best parts of eqbeats, eqdmusic, and with a dash of soundcloud thrown in but w/o some of the stuffiness. Plus it's part of the existing mlp forums which is the most active and interactive forums i've been on. Just amazing coding on both sites and feld can listen and adapt on the fly. It's a win-win and on a free hosting site w/ hq downloads. What's not to like?

I just hope people can get the word out as it may be small now but it has every possibility of growing and becoming something can really enjoy using and not feel they have to conform to limited functionality.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby JSynth » 24 Apr 2013 18:53

I was having errors when trying to upload a song of mine. Now that is all fixed.
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

JSynth

Postby itroitnyah » 25 Apr 2013 05:56

CDPP wrote:You're posts lately have become increasingly cynical and disillusioned, though I suppose you do have a point.
Yeah, but if you look at recent uploads and go through a few pages, you'll see people who upload a ton of songs on a regular basis, and I'm not talking about the people who even just join and then dump their completed songs, lol. I'm pretty convinced that completing and upload songs close to every other day or so is a pretty good sign that you're mostly in it for the e-fame (unless you just happen to have the ability to create great songs that quickly)
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Alycs » 25 Apr 2013 05:59

see: wooden toaster

I actully like the set up, with a bit more polish I can see this very nice
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby Freewave » 25 Apr 2013 07:51

itroitnyah wrote:
CDPP wrote:You're posts lately have become increasingly cynical and disillusioned, though I suppose you do have a point.
Yeah, but if you look at recent uploads and go through a few pages, you'll see people who upload a ton of songs on a regular basis, and I'm not talking about the people who even just join and then dump their completed songs, lol. I'm pretty convinced that completing and upload songs close to every other day or so is a pretty good sign that you're mostly in it for the e-fame (unless you just happen to have the ability to create great songs that quickly)

Well there is no e-fame through a brand new site if all you do is upload tracks that aren't eq'ed right and are quickly put together. EQD complains all the time about people trying to make motd in rapid succession and i wouldnt be surprised if even newer people were not aware that the goal is quality over quantity (or the right balance). You might get seen more but people will avoid your tracks if they are synonymous with low quality. That's why having better music and artists on there will really help make the music selection better for listeners.
Freewave

Postby Freewave » 27 Apr 2013 16:45

They just added the ability to upload tracks w/o downloads which some people were askign for. If there's any other recommendations for the site let them know. There'a a thread already for lossy uploads if people really want to push for that although they'd like to keep quality high and lossless.
Freewave

Postby Freewave » 04 May 2013 14:26

Well I'm gonna just bump this again as a reminder. A little bummed that there's not more excitement on here about having high quality downloads, free hosting, more social and music features, and a better interface for listeners. Anyone else interested in signing up?
Freewave

Postby CDPP » 04 May 2013 14:34

I fell in love with the site at first sight pun unintended
I've got nothing to complain, even if I do I'd send it via the site's feedback box.

To anyone reading this; it's one hell of a site, do give it a look!
CDPP

Postby JSynth » 04 May 2013 16:31

I plan on hosting my next ep on it.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

JSynth

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 05 May 2013 01:58

I like it for the most part. But one thing I dislike about it is when I want to skip a song, I press on the next one but the first one continues to buffer and I have to wait to play the next song.
Bronies Are Cool

Cutie Mark: Snowboard

Postby Jokeblue » 03 Jan 2014 20:05

...I can't access the site? I just keep getting "403 Forbidden" and "404 Not Found" :/
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby ClaviSound » 03 Jan 2014 21:22

Poniverse is under maintenance at the moment, Jokeblue. That's the error I'm getting, at least.

Anyway, Pony.fm I've used a couple of times for music hosting. It's actually pretty nice, but I generally host on EQBeats because I learned about it first and would rather stick to what I know. Nothing against Pony.fm of course, I do like the superior comment system, but it's easier to just put up a .wav on EQBeats in my experience. I'll be sure to use Pony.fm as a backup or an alternative if EQBeats goes down or dies, though.
aka Scott Hopkins aka Swerve Keystyle aka Equestrian Threat: https://www.youtube.com/c/EquestrianThreat

I can't type cursive, so I don't know what's supposed to go in my signature.

Don't quote me.
ClaviSound

Primary: Audacity cuz sweg, Ableton
Cutie Mark: N/A

Postby Freewave » 03 Jan 2014 23:42

One thing i will say is that i have had some glitches and problems on uploads with pony.fm. More often then not that's because the image screws up the save. At this point i publish and save and then upload the image and that does the trick. Tough thing is i like pony.fm's extra features but i do wish it had more of an audience (as i don't get many comments there) and less bugs. EQbeats is still worth sticking with but really does miss a lot of extra features that they could add onto it to make it a better hosting site. At this point they are both pretty even and a step down from soundcloud (but hey its unlimited downloads, community focused, and free unlike that site)
Freewave

Postby Jokeblue » 04 Jan 2014 02:40

ClaviSound wrote:Poniverse is under maintenance at the moment, Jokeblue. That's the error I'm getting, at least.

Aight.
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Re: Pony.fm

Postby JSynth » 06 Jan 2014 21:31

Oh ok a necro...

Anyway, one thing that I will say is that the site looked a lot better when it was first released in my opinion. But its still a nice place to host music downloads. I have used it in the past and plan on using it in the future.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

JSynth

Postby Freewave » 06 Jan 2014 21:46

site is now back up, their server has been restored
Freewave

Postby Paianni » 30 Jan 2014 15:02

I used it for a little while, but in the end decided it was not worth it. The trouble is, people aren't looking for music that necessarily has to be pony, they are looking for similar styles of music that they've already heard from the MLP fandom. SoundCloud and YouTube are absolutely fine for this.

IMO, we shouldn't have the 'pony' genre at all. Sure, it can be inspired by pony, but that doesn't dig a new class of music. Leading on to another point, sites like Pony.fm, EQBeats, Fimfiction, and Cloudsdale all try to separate pony from everything else, and I don't believe this is the way forward. We should be able to co-exist in harmony with other content creators. We're not special.
Paianni

Next

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic