Playlist Challenge #1: Flutterrock/Fluttermetal

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Playlist Challenge #1: Flutterrock/Fluttermetal

Postby ghelded_kultz » 10 Apr 2013 07:08

I made this playlist because I can.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... F445G0lfh4

-Soft D. String DeHooves
"Wherever we are, what we hear is mostly noise. When we ignore it, it disturbs us. When we listen to it, we find it fascinating." - John Cage

Trolls and makers of bad music, thats us!
http://soundcloud.com/ghelded-kultz/tracks
ghelded_kultz

Re: Flutterrock/Fluttermetal

Postby itroitnyah » 10 Apr 2013 14:15

Now imagine if you made a playlist for fluttershy dubstep/house music instead of metal and rock. Woah, the list would be never ending.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby ghelded_kultz » 10 Apr 2013 23:10

itroitnyah wrote:Now imagine if you made a playlist for fluttershy dubstep/house music instead of metal and rock. Woah, the list would be never ending.

But Fluttershy isn't dubstep or house, she is metal (though Luna is Metal). Pinkie is dubstep/house.

-Soft. D. String DeHooves
"Wherever we are, what we hear is mostly noise. When we ignore it, it disturbs us. When we listen to it, we find it fascinating." - John Cage

ghelded_kultz

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 10 Apr 2013 23:15

ghelded_kultz wrote:[Fluttershy] is metal

Go home.
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby ghelded_kultz » 10 Apr 2013 23:38

eery wrote:So, what would a song about a ship between fluttershy and pinkie be like then?

Industrial Rock/Metal, duh.

CaptainFluffatun wrote:
ghelded_kultz wrote:[Fluttershy] is metal

Go home.

I would like to, but I need to stay at school until 4:30 and it's only 12:40.

-Soft D. String DeHooves

ghelded_kultz

Postby ph00tbag » 13 Apr 2013 21:50

If Fluttershy is any music, she's New Age.

Search your feelings; you know it to be true.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio

Postby Makkon » 13 Apr 2013 21:56

I agree wholeheartedly with ph00tbag. Fluttershy is not metal or dubstep, she is probably New Age or something similarly soothing or relaxing.

And ghelded_kultz, why do you add "-Soft D. String DeHooves" at the end of each of your posts? You have a signature that you can add it to.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Nine Volt » 13 Apr 2013 21:58

Ghelded is actually 2 people. One of them is Soft String and he posts that at the end of his posts. The other doesn't use a sig thing.
Nine Volt

Postby Makkon » 13 Apr 2013 22:05

Okay. That answers my question, but raises another question.

Nevermind. Live and let live.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Nine Volt » 13 Apr 2013 22:13

I know what you mean ;)
Nine Volt

Postby ph00tbag » 13 Apr 2013 22:31

That resolves a net total of zero confusion for me on that score.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby ghelded_kultz » 13 Apr 2013 23:09

ph00tbag wrote:If Fluttershy is any music, she's New Age.

Search your feelings; you know it to be true.

Naw, that's just what people who aren't Metal believe. No, she doesn't look metal on the surface, but if you search inside yourself you will find she secretly is very metal. And she probably likes New Age as well, but she's still metal. Not as Metal as Luna, but still metal.

That is the metallist thing I have ever seen.

She is also the only pony besides Rainbow Dash who has had a Heavy Metal/Hard Rock theme in the show. (Gilda and the teenage dragons are not ponies.)

Twilight Sparkle - Classical
Rarity - Jazz
Rainbow Dash - Hip Hop
Applejack - Country/Folk
Pinkie Pie - Pop/EDM
Fluttershy - Rock/Metal

Okay, New Age probably fits Fluttershy, but New Age was not included in this study.
Fluttershy is undeniably Metal. She can be other things as well, but she is Metal.

....oh come on guys, just play along with it. I made the playlist because I like Fluttershy and I like Rock, if you want to make your own freaking playlist than make your own freaking playlist.

Makkon wrote:Okay. That answers my question, but raises another question.

Nevermind. Live and let live.

If your question is what I think it is, it's because originally this account was meant to be used more "formally" than it is and it was supposed to represent the opinion of the group, but that ended up falling appart, and I've been to lazy to make my own account even though I really should.

-Soft D. String DeHooves
Last edited by ghelded_kultz on 14 Apr 2013 08:20, edited 1 time in total.

ghelded_kultz

Postby topitmunkeydog » 14 Apr 2013 07:13

Personally I believe in Fluttermetal because it makes no sense. Like seriously seeing Flutters rock out to some death metal or whatever is absolutely hilarious.

Rarity - Jazz
Rainbow Dash - Hip Hop Punk
Applejack - Country/Folk / Bluegrass
Pinkie Pie - Pop/EDM POLKA
Fluttershy - Rock/Metal / Folk / New Age

I think the ultimate in Fluttershy Fluttershy music is Irish folk music, rather than New Age music.

But Metal definitely works, and Folk Metal is almost perfect.
topitmunkeydog

Primary: (trying to learn) ableton
Cutie Mark: yes

Postby ghelded_kultz » 14 Apr 2013 08:48

topitmunkeydog wrote:Personally I believe in Fluttermetal because it makes no sense. Like seriously seeing Flutters rock out to some death metal or whatever is absolutely hilarious.

Rarity - Jazz
Rainbow Dash - Hip Hop Punk
Applejack - Country/Folk / Bluegrass
Pinkie Pie - Pop/EDM POLKA
Fluttershy - Rock/Metal / Folk / New Age

I think the ultimate in Fluttershy Fluttershy music is Irish folk music, rather than New Age music.

But Metal definitely works, and Folk Metal is almost perfect.

I wouldn't say it makes no sense as much as it's completely unexpected. I mean, given that Fluttershy has been showing as having pent up anger on occasion her liking metal could be explained by having her listen to metal to manage said anger, and that makes enough sense, but the image of Fluttershy liking metal is ridiculous. The imagery of Heavy Metal and Fluttershy are usually pretty much opposites, which is what makes them awesome together, because it's completely unexpected and doesn't make any sense, at least without an explanation. Fluttershy is supposed to be soft and sweet, not loud and agressive. It's just so ironic, and cute. Anyway, I think the personality of most rockers/metalheads I know is closest to Luna as seen in "Luna Eclipsed" of all the ponies, and her image is fairly metal in itself

which is why Luna is unironically the metallist pony.

While Punk certainly fits Rainbow Dash's image well, I think most people with a personality like hers that I know are more into Hiphop. For the ponies with two genres listed I was more of using it as a clarifier than as two genres. By Folk I meant American Folk for Applejack, so anything in the realm of Americana including those and Bluegrass would be like her. I forgot about Polka, Pinkie is definitely Polka.

(oh, that video also has the best comments section ever)

Oh, and that Irish song is pretty, I like it. Folk Metal is also awesome and very Fluttershy.

-Soft D. String DeHooves

ghelded_kultz

Postby ph00tbag » 15 Apr 2013 18:38

Fluttershy would perhaps be able to appreciate the concepts behind some of the less abrasive metal genres like Djent or Fusion, but she wouldn't listen to it on her own time. Fundamentally, she prefers peace and quiet, and is uncomfortable with venturing far off the beaten path. These things are antithetical to metal.

As for other pony musical tastes, I'd put them thusly:

Twilight: Twilight probably enjoys reading about music more than she enjoys actual music. She certainly is well-educated on many musical concepts, but she's just as likely to jam to a pop tune as anypony. She does prefer baroque while studying, since she's read that it boosts learning ability.
Applejack: Country, Bluegrass, enjoys Mariachi, but thinks it all sounds the same.
Rainbow Dash: Speed Metal, Punk, Ska (Third Wave only), the stuff of mosh pits, mostly. Anthem Rock also appeals to her.
Rarity: Pop is what she feigns interest in for the sake of appearances, but she's actually a huge fan of vaudeville and show-tunes. She wouldn't admit it to anypony, but she sings show tunes loudly in the shower.
Pinkie Pie: Pop tunes. Anything with a catchy hook and a good beat for dancing. She enjoys playing polka more than listening to it.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby itroitnyah » 15 Apr 2013 19:55

I think twilight would actually be more of an orchestral or classical person. Or something more along fluttershy's musical tastes, something soothing and comfortable. Afterall, books aren't exactly the most hardcore thing ever.
itroitnyah

Postby ghelded_kultz » 16 Apr 2013 04:19

ph00tbag wrote:Fluttershy would perhaps be able to appreciate the concepts behind some of the less abrasive metal genres like Djent or Fusion, but she wouldn't listen to it on her own time. Fundamentally, she prefers peace and quiet, and is uncomfortable with venturing far off the beaten path. These things are antithetical to metal.

As for other pony musical tastes, I'd put them thusly:

Twilight: Twilight probably enjoys reading about music more than she enjoys actual music. She certainly is well-educated on many musical concepts, but she's just as likely to jam to a pop tune as anypony. She does prefer baroque while studying, since she's read that it boosts learning ability.
Applejack: Country, Bluegrass, enjoys Mariachi, but thinks it all sounds the same.
Rainbow Dash: Speed Metal, Punk, Ska (Third Wave only), the stuff of mosh pits, mostly. Anthem Rock also appeals to her.
Rarity: Pop is what she feigns interest in for the sake of appearances, but she's actually a huge fan of vaudeville and show-tunes. She wouldn't admit it to anypony, but she sings show tunes loudly in the shower.
Pinkie Pie: Pop tunes. Anything with a catchy hook and a good beat for dancing. She enjoys playing polka more than listening to it.

Djent, non-abrasive? I've always consider most Djent to be some of the most aggressive metal around.

Though some Djent isn't that aggressive, like TesseracT and some of the instrumental bands. I think Progressive Metal fits the description of what you meant better than Djent, then you can also lump fusion in with it. Anyway, if you actually listened to the playlist that this thread is supposed to be about you would realize most of it, even some of the metal, is the type of Rock that would fit Fluttershy.

I don't think it can really be confirmed that Fluttershy is conventional or conformist, she is really too shy and introverted to properly judge that. For example, introverts tend to dress more conventionally than extroverts, but tend to be less conforming. Sure, she would probably be at least initially frightened by metal, that's why overly-complex explanation explains she managed to get past that...

Headcanon isn't the most logical or direct thing, it's the thing that you like the most for whatever reason that you can rationally accept, leaving minimal cognitive dissonance. Here Rule of Cool, Rule of Funny, and Rule of Cute all combine to justify Metalshy. Plus Fluttershy has a surprising amount (read any something) in common with Chuck Schuldiner, the Father of Death Metal.

Regarding the other ponies, Rainbow Dash really doesn't strike me as a rocker or a metalhead. I'm sure she would enjoy it, but her personality strikes me as more of a fan of rap. I don't see any reason why Rarity would pretend to like Pop. Pop is catered towards the masses, while Rarity definitely is not trying to appeal to the masses, throughout the show she has been shown as trying to appear upper class when she is from a poorer background. She would probably pretend to be a fan of classical if anything, or whatever was played at the gala.

itroitnyah wrote:I think twilight would actually be more of an orchestral or classical person. Or something more along fluttershy's musical tastes, something soothing and comfortable. Afterall, books aren't exactly the most hardcore thing ever.

N'aw, books are totally hardcore. A lot of the big Punk leads are published authors, like Henry Rollin, probably the largest single figure in Hardcore. Also, you would be surprised at the at amount of literary references in Heavy Metal, which at least some of the guys making some of the "hardcore music" read some books.

Anyway, I agree she's probably into classical, but what is "Fluttershy's musical tastes"? That statement isn't going to fly in THIS thread, nor would it be clear elsewhere as she has no canonical music tastes. To be fair she probably has more in the show to suggest her music tastes than any pony except Pinkie Pie. She is in charge of the music in like every music ceremony, where she has her bird choir do what her bird choir does. However, if the montage in "Hurricane Fluttershy" is taken literally instead just as BGM than that means Fluttershy rocks out to Hard Rock/Hair Metal while working out. Then again, Fluttershy obviously doesn't work out very often and who doesn't listen to Hard Rock/Hair Metal when working out?

-Soft D. String DeHooves

ghelded_kultz

Postby ph00tbag » 16 Apr 2013 14:55

ghelded_kultz wrote:Djent, non-abrasive? I've always consider most Djent to be some of the most aggressive metal around. Though some Djent isn't that aggressive, like TesseracT and some of the instrumental bands. I think Progressive Metal fits the description of what you meant better than Djent, then you can also lump fusion in with it. Anyway, if you actually listened to the playlist that this thread is supposed to be about you would realize most of it, even some of the metal, is the type of Rock that would fit Fluttershy.

Well, I've only ever seen Djent used apparently interchangeably with Prog Metal, so the latter is indeed what I mean. And like I said, Fluttershy would be able to appreciate what those artists are trying to do, and if you were trying to get Fluttershy into metal, maybe that would be an appropriate gateway. But that's not the same as saying she listens to it actively. I don't imagine she'd go out of her way to purchase a prog metal album. But you know she has the entire Enya discography. I'm distinguishing between music that can be written to suit the character's tastes and personality if need be, and music that they would actually actively enjoy.

I don't think it can really be confirmed that Fluttershy is conventional or conformist, she is really too shy and introverted to properly judge that.

I'm not saying she's conventional or conformist. She has a comfort zone that she does not stray far from. She prefers peace and quiet. Metal is not conducive to these preferences. These preferences aren't headcanon, they are established in episodes like Dragon Quest, Stare Master, Luna Eclipsed and others. You can't just apply headcanon rules to rationalize these traits away.

Regarding the other ponies, Rainbow Dash really doesn't strike me as a rocker or a metalhead. I'm sure she would enjoy it, but her personality strikes me as more of a fan of rap.

Well I look at it as Rainbow on the one hand rocking out to Don't Stop Me Now unironically, while on the other hand finding the humor in Move Bitch, but being able to skip that track when it comes up on her playlist.

I don't see any reason why Rarity would pretend to like Pop. Pop is catered towards the masses, while Rarity definitely is not trying to appeal to the masses, throughout the show she has been shown as trying to appear upper class when she is from a poorer background. She would probably pretend to be a fan of classical if anything, or whatever was played at the gala.

Various classical styles are certainly played at formal events, but that's only because of traditions being somewhat immutable. The fashion industry is intimately tied to the entertainment industry, and being relevant in one necessitates being knowledgeable in the other. Knowing the ins and outs of the pop music industry would be particularly savvy for Rarity. Knowing about classical music would yield the occasional conversation piece at parties. Keep in mind Rarity's response to seeing Sapphire Shores in her boutique. Shores is not a classical artist.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby ghelded_kultz » 16 Apr 2013 19:20

ph00tbag wrote:
ghelded_kultz wrote:Djent, non-abrasive? I've always consider most Djent to be some of the most aggressive metal around. Though some Djent isn't that aggressive, like TesseracT and some of the instrumental bands. I think Progressive Metal fits the description of what you meant better than Djent, then you can also lump fusion in with it. Anyway, if you actually listened to the playlist that this thread is supposed to be about you would realize most of it, even some of the metal, is the type of Rock that would fit Fluttershy.

Well, I've only ever seen Djent used apparently interchangeably with Prog Metal, so the latter is indeed what I mean. And like I said, Fluttershy would be able to appreciate what those artists are trying to do, and if you were trying to get Fluttershy into metal, maybe that would be an appropriate gateway. But that's not the same as saying she listens to it actively. I don't imagine she'd go out of her way to purchase a prog metal album. But you know she has the entire Enya discography. I'm distinguishing between music that can be written to suit the character's tastes and personality if need be, and music that they would actually actively enjoy.

Yeah, that tends to happen with modern progressive metal scene. However, none of the older stuff would get labeled as Djent, and it's only the Progressive Metal with the djent sound and a technical focus that get's labled as Djent. There is still stuff like this
softer Progressive Metal that definitely isn't Djent.

I don't think it can really be confirmed that Fluttershy is conventional or conformist, she is really too shy and introverted to properly judge that.

I'm not saying she's conventional or conformist. She has a comfort zone that she does not stray far from. She prefers peace and quiet. Metal is not conducive to these preferences. These preferences aren't headcanon, they are established in episodes like Dragon Quest, Stare Master, Luna Eclipsed and others. You can't just apply headcanon rules to rationalize these traits away.

So that's what you meant. You know, by saying she doesn't venture far off the beaten path you would normally imply that someone is conventional or conformist. Anyway, I can be very rigid like that as well, but people can try new things if the circumstances require, and sometimes they might actually like something completely unexpected. Fluttershy could always theoretically expand her comfort zone to include Heavy Metal, problem solved. :P

Regarding the other ponies, Rainbow Dash really doesn't strike me as a rocker or a metalhead. I'm sure she would enjoy it, but her personality strikes me as more of a fan of rap.

Well I look at it as Rainbow on the one hand rocking out to Don't Stop Me Now unironically, while on the other hand finding the humor in Move Bitch, but being able to skip that track when it comes up on her playlist.

I could see her as a rocker, but she still strikes me as much more of a Hip hop fan than a Rock fan. Maybe she would fit perfectly as a Rocker 20 years ago, but not so much now. Anyway, my vision of what a typical Hip hop fan is much closer to Rainbow Dash than my idea of a typical Rock fan.

I don't see any reason why Rarity would pretend to like Pop. Pop is catered towards the masses, while Rarity definitely is not trying to appeal to the masses, throughout the show she has been shown as trying to appear upper class when she is from a poorer background. She would probably pretend to be a fan of classical if anything, or whatever was played at the gala.

Various classical styles are certainly played at formal events, but that's only because of traditions being somewhat immutable. The fashion industry is intimately tied to the entertainment industry, and being relevant in one necessitates being knowledgeable in the other. Knowing the ins and outs of the pop music industry would be particularly savvy for Rarity. Knowing about classical music would yield the occasional conversation piece at parties. Keep in mind Rarity's response to seeing Sapphire Shores in her boutique. Shores is not a classical artist.

I see your point, she would probably fake a love for both, so she could play on whatever crowd she is in. Rarity does fake a Mid-Atlantic to appear more posh.

-Soft D. String DeHooves

ghelded_kultz

Postby ganondox » 19 Apr 2013 08:01

Oh, and Agalloch is very Fluttershy-y metal, though I'm not sure if she approves of their use of a deer skull.

ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 21 Apr 2013 03:34

Um.

Can we just take a minute

You know..

To appreciate the utter silliness of the notion that certain ponies are a certain genre?

Please?

please don't hate me for thinking headcanon is dumb :I
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby ganondox » 21 Apr 2013 07:44

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:Um.

Can we just take a minute

You know..

To appreciate the utter silliness of the notion that certain ponies are a certain genre?

Please?

please don't hate me for thinking headcanon is dumb :I

It is silly, that's the point. That makes Fluttershy all the more metal.
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Postby itroitnyah » 21 Apr 2013 12:31

But metal isn't silly at all, nor is it fluttershy. It is an element that is found in the ground.
itroitnyah

Postby Nine Volt » 21 Apr 2013 12:33

Metal is not an element. Some elements are metals.
Nine Volt

Postby ph00tbag » 21 Apr 2013 16:42

Cesium is heavy metal.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Next

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic