MLP TV movie + New Branch off MLP:FiM

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Re: MLP TV movie + New Branch off MLP:FiM

Postby Facade » 27 Jun 2013 20:51

>The climax felt rushed and was fairly predictable.

i find that this happens a lot in the show too but the difference here is that the show is more limited in time
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby ExoBassTix » 28 Jun 2013 10:42

The movie had ups and downs if you ask me. There were bottomless pits, but surely there were also a few mt. Everests.
I'm not gonna spoil anything, but in the end I liked it (except for the goddamn Wilhelm scream).
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby ganondox » 28 Jun 2013 13:14

ExoBassTix wrote:The movie had ups and downs if you ask me. There were bottomless pits, but surely there were also a few mt. Everests.
I'm not gonna spoil anything, but in the end I liked it (except for the goddamn Wilhelm scream).

Bottomless pits have infinite depth, but Everest has finite height. Add them together and I guess that means the movie infinitely sucks. :P
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Postby Nine Volt » 28 Jun 2013 13:17

Hah :3
Nine Volt

Postby ExoBassTix » 29 Jun 2013 05:29

Fine.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby simonli2575 » 29 Jun 2013 07:57

The story is fun, and overall great, it's just that there're some problems. They're listed in below in an unchronological order.
Highlight my comment to see it.
1. A while after Twilight Sparkle has become a laughing stock, everybody seems to have forgotten about the video they saw yesterday. What? How does repairing Pinkie Pie's decorations make everybody forget about the fact that Twilight was acting weird and vote for her?
2. How did Sunset Shimmer "rule" this high school? Why are the boys so nice, they are afraid of a girl that could be beaten up easily, as well as Snips and Snails?
3. Holy shit, has everypony waited for three days in the room for Twilight Sparkle to return?
4. Why isn't Principal Celestia surprised by Twilight Sparkle growing a pair of wings overnight?
http://soundcloud.com/simonli2575
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
Software: FL Studio, Z3ta+2 & Massive
Hardware: Roland 800-Pro and a computer
Genres: Drum 'n' Bass and occasionally Jungle
Genres I want to try out: Dubstep, Breakcore, Hardstyle and Trap
Alycs made my new avatar. \o/
simonli2575

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Why are you staring at my ass

Postby Conchetupony » 29 Jun 2013 15:58

>4. Why isn't Principal Celestia surprised by Twilight Sparkle growing a pair of wings overnight?

I'd be far more surprised by the former "school princess" being turned into some demon, destroying half the building and mind-controlling all the students

The movie was good and had many great moments, but the awfully generic ending killed it.
oops I dropped the bass

will you pick it up for me
Conchetupony

Primary: Ardour 3.3.1
Cutie Mark: Mindlessly rocking out

Postby Facade » 29 Jun 2013 16:09

simonli2575 wrote:3. Holy shit, has everypony waited for three days in the room for Twilight Sparkle to return?

most likely

they should make an episode about what happened while she was in the portal
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby simonli2575 » 29 Jun 2013 23:20

Facade wrote:they should make an episode about what happened while she was in the portal

I can already imagine some dialogs.
"So... Want a drink?"
"I'm bored."
"How long do we still have to wait?"
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
simonli2575

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 29 Jun 2013 23:48

I liked the movie, but I did find some parts to be excessively directed towards the intended demographic. However, I can say that at the end ( spoilers and they are not in white because I can care less about that right now) when twilight returned to equestria, it was weird seeing her as a pony instead of a human. I

I liked some of the dry humor, like walking into doors.
Bronies Are Cool

Cutie Mark: Snowboard

Postby simonli2575 » 30 Jun 2013 00:38

Bronies Are Cool wrote:I liked

I liked

[picky]
If you used to like something that you don't anymore, you use "liked".
Just so you know.
[/picky]
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
simonli2575

Postby Nine Volt » 30 Jun 2013 05:52

simonli2575 wrote:

I liked

[picky]
Just so you know.
[/picky]

You're wrong. That's not how that word is used, Simon. If you're going to be picky at least get it right.

He liked it at that point, doesn't mean he doesn't currently like it. It means he enjoyed it at that time and would probably enjoy it again. "Liked" is mostly used for one-time events; I -liked- the museum, meaning I enjoyed the time I was at a museum. "Like" is generally used for nonspecific objects rather than certain times; I -like- museums, meaning I generally enjoy museums. No specific museum (although I could say I -like- a certain museum) and not a specific museum trip. If he liked something that he doesn't like now, he would've said "I used to like".

E:
Let me try to explain it clearer, as I don't think my explanation was clear enough:

"I Liked"
This is used to denote that you enjoyed a particular event, such as a visit to somewhere or a certain episode of a TV show, for example.
For example:
I liked the museum.

This sentence implies that I enjoyed a certain trip to a museum, but it does not imply that I enjoy all museums.

"I Like"
This is used to denote an enjoyment of a certain type of thing.
For example:
I like museums.
-or-
I like horror movies.

These sentences imply that this hypothetical "I" enjoys horror movies and museums in general. It does not imply that I enjoy all horror movies and all museums, however.

Movies are an interesting case. "I liked" and "I like" can be used in subtly different manners and still be correct when referring to an individual movie (whereas one would use "I like" if referring to movies in general; "I liked" would be used if you used to like movies in general but no longer do). If he said "I liked Equestria Girls" and if he said "I like Equestria Girls", they would both have essentially the same meaning, only varying slightly in the context they would be used in. However, "I liked Equestria Girls" would be the most common of the two by far. If Equestria Girls was a series, the latter would be used more often and the former would imply that you used to like it. Equestria Girls is not a series, however.

"I used to like" is easily the most commonly used past tense variant of the verb "like". "I liked" does not necessarily imply solely past enjoyment; "I used to like" does.
Nine Volt

Postby ganondox » 30 Jun 2013 21:20

Nine Volt wrote:
simonli2575 wrote:

I liked

[picky]
Just so you know.
[/picky]

You're wrong. That's not how that word is used, Simon. If you're going to be picky at least get it right.

He liked it at that point, doesn't mean he doesn't currently like it. It means he enjoyed it at that time and would probably enjoy it again. "Liked" is mostly used for one-time events; I -liked- the museum, meaning I enjoyed the time I was at a museum. "Like" is generally used for nonspecific objects rather than certain times; I -like- museums, meaning I generally enjoy museums. No specific museum (although I could say I -like- a certain museum) and not a specific museum trip. If he liked something that he doesn't like now, he would've said "I used to like".

E:
Let me try to explain it clearer, as I don't think my explanation was clear enough:

"I Liked"
This is used to denote that you enjoyed a particular event, such as a visit to somewhere or a certain episode of a TV show, for example.
For example:
I liked the museum.

This sentence implies that I enjoyed a certain trip to a museum, but it does not imply that I enjoy all museums.

"I Like"
This is used to denote an enjoyment of a certain type of thing.
For example:
I like museums.
-or-
I like horror movies.

These sentences imply that this hypothetical "I" enjoys horror movies and museums in general. It does not imply that I enjoy all horror movies and all museums, however.

Movies are an interesting case. "I liked" and "I like" can be used in subtly different manners and still be correct when referring to an individual movie (whereas one would use "I like" if referring to movies in general; "I liked" would be used if you used to like movies in general but no longer do). If he said "I liked Equestria Girls" and if he said "I like Equestria Girls", they would both have essentially the same meaning, only varying slightly in the context they would be used in. However, "I liked Equestria Girls" would be the most common of the two by far. If Equestria Girls was a series, the latter would be used more often and the former would imply that you used to like it. Equestria Girls is not a series, however.

"I used to like" is easily the most commonly used past tense variant of the verb "like". "I liked" does not necessarily imply solely past enjoyment; "I used to like" does.

I think I can comment on why it works like this. With events, the actual event has a position in time. After the event happened it is now longer happening, so thus it happened in the past. when you are referring to something you liked in Equestria Girls, you are implying that you liked seeing it when you saw it. Thus you liked it in the past. With something more general like "I like My Little Pony" it's not tied with any specific event, and likewise isn't tied with any point in time. Therefor your general like for it is still on going, not any specific moment of enjoyment, and thus in the present. Now if you say "I liked My Little Pony", you are saying that you liked it in the past, and as you aren't referring to any specific events in the past it's implying you no longer like it in the present, otherwise you would say the you like it in the present. However, context can make things a little bit more complicated, so saying you liked something general does not always imply you don't like it anymore, for example "I liked My Little Pony yesterday, and I still like it today". Or something like that. This stuff is complicated.
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Postby Nine Volt » 30 Jun 2013 21:23

Well, that's a win in my book :3
Nine Volt

Postby Navron » 02 Jul 2013 14:17

Before EqG:
- Bronies worried that EqG will influence Season 4.
- Bronies relieved when they hear EqG won't influence Season 4.

After EqG:
- Bronies mad that Season 4 ignores everything that happened in EqG.

Before EqG:
- Bronies COMPLETELY OUTRAGED about Twilight's potential love interest in EqG.
- Bronies relieved this interest will not be mentioned or expanded upon in Season 4.

After EqG:
- Bronies disappointed that Twilight and Flash's potential relationship will not be acknowledged in Season 4.

Sometimes I really, really, really hate this fandom.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Nine Volt » 02 Jul 2013 15:31

Navron wrote:Before EqG:
- Bronies worried that EqG will influence Season 4.
- Bronies relieved when they hear EqG won't influence Season 4.

After EqG:
- Bronies mad that Season 4 ignores everything that happened in EqG.

Before EqG:
- Bronies COMPLETELY OUTRAGED about Twilight's potential love interest in EqG.
- Bronies relieved this interest will not be mentioned or expanded upon in Season 4.

After EqG:
- Bronies disappointed that Twilight and Flash's potential relationship will not be acknowledged in Season 4.

Sometimes I really, really, really hate this fandom.

I agree. The fandom is one of the most unpleasable fandoms I've ever seen.
Nine Volt

Postby itroitnyah » 02 Jul 2013 17:00

I think that if you continue to generalize the fandom like that, you will. It's not that bronies are suddenly changing their minds, it's that a different crowd of bronies is expressing their opinions when others are not. There are certainly people who, after EqG, are glad that Twi's relationship with Flash won't continue, they're just not as expressive about that as much as the bronies who were mad that EqG wouldn't influence S4 before EqG weren't heard. It's sorta like a reverse. If not this, then perhaps it has a lot to do with how you can't determine everything in a movie through the commercials, so bronies didn't know much about what would be happening or how interactions between Twi and Flash would play out, and afterwards they realized that it was better than they thought. If the latter is correct, then you can continue to really really hate the fandom sometimes, lol.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Magnitude Zero » 02 Jul 2013 18:01

itroitnyah wrote:I think that if you continue to generalize the fandom like that, you will. It's not that bronies are suddenly changing their minds, it's that a different crowd of bronies is expressing their opinions when others are not. There are certainly people who, after EqG, are glad that Twi's relationship with Flash won't continue, they're just not as expressive about that as much as the bronies who were mad that EqG wouldn't influence S4 before EqG weren't heard. It's sorta like a reverse. If not this, then perhaps it has a lot to do with how you can't determine everything in a movie through the commercials, so bronies didn't know much about what would be happening or how interactions between Twi and Flash would play out, and afterwards they realized that it was better than they thought. If the latter is correct, then you can continue to really really hate the fandom sometimes, lol.

Spot-on, thank you. I was looking forward to the movie since the first trailer. I watched it, I enjoyed it, I'm slightly disappointed it's an alternate timeline. You'd think we'd be past the whole "loud minority = entire fandom" generalizations, all things considered...
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby Nine Volt » 02 Jul 2013 20:28

The thing is that it's not just one loud minority. There's overlap between a lot of them, but there are numerous distinct loud minorities and they are the reason so many people hate the fandom. You know those guys who go around putting ponies everywhere or talking about them all the time, usually when it's not appropriate? They're the reason the fandom is hated, and truth be told they may not even be a small minority. A minority, probably, but a large one. I believe there's even a term for that 'stage', but if there is it escapes me. You all know what I'm talking about though.

e:
^If none of that makes sense/is relevant it's because I'm tired
Nine Volt

Postby itroitnyah » 02 Jul 2013 20:53

Nine Volt wrote:The thing is that it's not just one loud minority. There's overlap between a lot of them, but there are numerous distinct loud minorities and they are the reason so many people hate the fandom. You know those guys who go around putting ponies everywhere or talking about them all the time, usually when it's not appropriate? They're the reason the fandom is hated, and truth be told they may not even be a small minority. A minority, probably, but a large one. I believe there's even a term for that 'stage', but if there is it escapes me. You all know what I'm talking about though.

e:
^If none of that makes sense/is relevant it's because I'm tired
So you mean ponyfags
itroitnyah

Postby Nine Volt » 02 Jul 2013 21:07

I'm not a brony.

Also,

Why would -girly- humanhorses have dicks?? I don't think we live in a progressive enough society where hermaphrodites can be explicitly referred to by a children's show. Unless you just meant that they were feminine, and only the male ones have dicks :3
Nine Volt

Postby itroitnyah » 02 Jul 2013 21:32

eery wrote:Yeezuz, you're really not gonna start that whole "Im a TRUE brony, this is what we call the BAD ones." are you? What are you gonna claim next? "I dont like the word brony, it makes it feel like it defines me, Im just a pony fan!"
There is no need for this difference to claim yourself and your stances and takes on things better than others.

Also, get the fuck back on track, we're discussing girly humanhorses and their dicks.
Um, no, we're talking about how minority groups within the fandom will express their opinions and make the biggest ruckus and make us all look like idiots. And then 9V brought up how, on the subject, how newer bronies and the really bad bronies, or ponyfags as I call them, are generally the ones who bring up the type of ruckus that makes us all look like idiots.
itroitnyah

Postby Nine Volt » 02 Jul 2013 21:41

itroitnyah is the OP. I believe that gives him the right to change the thread topic, especially given that he could change the titled and OP if he wanted to.
Nine Volt

Postby itroitnyah » 02 Jul 2013 21:51

Besides, this thread has served its purpose by now, we're just uselessly bickering over nonsense. A mod can really just lock this thread now if the mod sees fit to. But until then, we can just bicker about whatever we're bickering about.
itroitnyah

Postby Magnitude Zero » 02 Jul 2013 21:52

Oh, wow, okay, another argument sprung up. Awesome.

Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

PreviousNext

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic