MLP TV movie + New Branch off MLP:FiM

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Re: MLP TV movie + New Branch off MLP:FiM

Postby ganondox » 18 Jun 2013 04:51

itroitnyah wrote:
Lying Pink wrote:grammar stuff
I'm not sure what you're trying to say, because ganondox saying "because it is in fact bad" really doesn't sound like he's saying that it's probably bad. In his overall sentence, "They probably did watch it, and it probably has bad reviews because it is in fact bad", he's saying that they gave it bad reviews because it is a fact that the movie is bad. Or, that's how I interpreted it, so by me cutting it off into just "because it is in fact bad", I didn't feel like I was actually removing any important parts from the sentence, other than the part about people reviewing the movie. It still shows the snide remark simply because he hates the idea behind the movie. I may be wrong, and I wouldn't be 100% surprised, because I'm not the best at english (even though it's my main language, lul).

Anyways, on a different note, I went to the IMDb thing for this movie, and took a look at reviews. They were indeed very mixed, and after looking at the written reviews, I can expect something close to what the show is, seeing as the positive reviews are generally rated high with a 3/4 ratio on average, and the negative reviews rated low with around a 1/5 ratio on average. On the advanced statistics page, over 50% of the votes are 10/10, 12.8% are 6/10-9/10, and only 25.1% of votes are 1/10. So what I expect just from reviews, is something similar to an episode of mlp. Obviously not Inception quality, but maybe close to show quality, maybe a bit under, but I'll have to find out for myself. I'm a pretty easy guy to entertain. To give you an idea, I really enjoyed the brony documentary that one company did

Are you a native English speaker? Anyway, while "in fact" might literally imply something is a fact, it actually means "actually", so it implies that some other claim is not true. You need to take my comment in context, it was a response to the claim that it only had bad reviews due to vote bombing from people who haven't watched the movie.

Anyway, now that the reviews are out/getting out I'm getting the impression that this more or less the same type of thing as ACW or MMC, except this time the music sucks. Considering the music is what I liked best about those episodes and overall I have a very low opinion of them, I would probably dislike it and whine about all it's writing flaws.
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Postby itroitnyah » 18 Jun 2013 07:02

ganondox wrote:Are you a native English speaker? Anyway, while "in fact" might literally imply something is a fact, it actually means "actually", so it implies that some other claim is not true. You need to take my comment in context, it was a response to the claim that it only had bad reviews due to vote bombing from people who haven't watched the movie.
Yeah, I was born in america, still living in america. I actually sorta realized the expression after writing my comment, soooo... :roll:
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby ExoBassTix » 19 Jun 2013 00:44

itroitnyah wrote:
ganondox wrote:because it is in fact bad.
Did your first or second grade teacher forget to teach you about facts and opinions and their differences? Allow me to teach you quickly. A fact is something that is either true or false, such as 2+2=4. An opinion is how somebody feels about something that can differ between people, such as "This song is bad/good". Just because you don't like the concept behind EqG doesn't mean you can declare it a fact that it's bad, you should really just say "because they think or hold the opinion that it is bad", and you can't deny that there are indeed some haters who have created ratings for the movie, although we can't necessarily prove how many of the ratings are haters.

Faith in humanity = lost.
Both of you.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Nine Volt » 23 Jun 2013 12:27

So was it good or not?
Nine Volt

Postby Navron » 23 Jun 2013 14:23

I didn't really have any bias to either side before seeing it. It was enjoyable. Didn't regret watching it. Some people's complaints about it being another teenage high-school girl drama aren't unfounded. Definitely hits a few of those stereotypes.

Animation and voice acting were still top notch. Musical numbers were...not quite as good as I hoped they would be, but certainly catchy. Story...not too great, but it worked. The tie-in between the universes worked better than I thought it would.

My only real complaints are:
(SPOILERS)

1. Really, really, really getting tired of this deus ex machina type resolution to every villain in the series thus far.
2. What exactly was the purpose of the anthro transformation?
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Freewave » 23 Jun 2013 19:17

Navron wrote:2. What exactly was the purpose of the anthro transformation?

Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Nine Volt » 23 Jun 2013 19:18

NUKE IT FROM ORBIT, DEAR GOD
Nine Volt

Postby simonli2575 » 23 Jun 2013 20:49

Freewave wrote:
Navron wrote:2. What exactly was the purpose of the anthro transformation?

Huge-ass horrible-looking dolls

http://soundcloud.com/simonli2575
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
Software: FL Studio, Z3ta+2 & Massive
Hardware: Roland 800-Pro and a computer
Genres: Drum 'n' Bass and occasionally Jungle
Genres I want to try out: Dubstep, Breakcore, Hardstyle and Trap
Alycs made my new avatar. \o/
simonli2575

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Why are you staring at my ass

Postby itroitnyah » 23 Jun 2013 21:01

Well, I'm watching it, and so far the beginning feels rushed. Within the first 10 minutes is when the crown is stolen. Which is fine, not sure how or why'd they'd stretch out the beginning to longer than that, they don't have anything else to discuss...

Spoilers (hint: highlight)

> Sunset Shimmer is actually Celestia's former student, as it turns out.

> We find out that Celestia already had some knowledge of a portal to the human world, when Twi asks "Where did she go??", and Celestia replies with "You'll soon know more about this place than even I do." We can infer that she knew about the portal, and knew where it lead. And Luna knows as well.

> There are indeed some pretty hilarious parts in the movie when Twi is discovering the human world and they do a song about it.

> They did a bit of a nostalgia bomb, (not a very big one though), when they introduce Twi, taken straight from the very first episode of season 1. Some people may write this off as horrible catering and very lazy, but I thought it was pretty neato. They may do this with the rest of the mane characters. I'll say so if she does*

> Characters are ranked in the school system based on their rank in EQ. You could sorta see it coming, but I thought it was pretty good. Classic, I guess.

> Classes last about 10 minutes.

> According to pinkie pie, twilight is impersonating herself or something, via "Do you have a twin sister that lives in the city, has a pet dog named Spike that looks juuust like that one?"

* No she doesn't.

> Snips and Snails are to sunset shimmer as they were to trixie

> A minor problem that the writers should have spent a bit more time on, is explaining some more of SS's background before sending Twi over to the human world. Perhaps they'll do this towards the end of the movie.

> There are parts that are very punny, made me laugh.

> They have computers, and youtube. Lol, point outs to the show itself, and a tiny bit towards bronies.

> Dash is still a dashhole, lol. But she uses it to her advantage to pick out who's worthy of her pure awesome.

> Background character awareness. When Rarity shouts that she has an idea, people other than the mane 6 react. Some movies do this, but it's always pretty good when movies do this.

> It seems like Twi and the mane 6 are on a quest to embarrass themselves, haha. Pretty classic, but it's pretty unique in that they use a song to do this.

> It's a bit exaggerated that Twi would gain the support of so many people by singing a song at lunch, but if I were at lunch during school and then a small group of people started performing this well, I'd vote for them. Just being honest.

> Flash is a fucking badass. Sorta. He's cool anyways. Helpful, nice, and overall great person. The writers incorporated a bit of the average teenager "I need a date" type of thing into him, but in a good sense.

> Pinkie's still random

> They hint a lot at the show with some samples and spoken lines.

> It becomes more clear as to how Twi gets some more support from her classmates as the movie progresses. The behavior of her classmates aren't average for high schoolers, but hey. It's only just below average.

> Twilight and her friends are playing keep away from SS and snips and snails, and then Twi finally gets the crown back and then just throws it away. Wtf is she thinking?

> They used one of the most commonly used yell/scream samples that is used in a ton of movies during action scenes with large crowds involved. I'm sure everybody knows what I'm talking about, I just don't know the name of the sample.

> Minor plot twist, SS isn't going to try and rule the human world

> Friendship is fucking magic, lul. I'll admit that the whole "Friendship saves the day" ending type that is displayed in the movie is a bit cliche, so the ending is cheesy, and the whole little music introduction scene they do to introduce the elements doesn't sound like it fits 100% (probably due to the crappy camcorder microphone), so it was only ok.

> They include a ton of pointers to the season 1 premiere throughout the entire movie. They're so obvious as well

> Sobby little evil person kisses up in an attempt to undo their evil ways. It's rushed, things like changing somebodies mental attitude, especially in a case like this would take some time.

> So the villain is defeat, and then they continue to party on like nothing really happened.

> Dorky dancing Twilight is back

> How to punish a villain 101: Did they cause tons of property damage and attempt to enslave the human race? Give them detention. That will show them. Lots of it as well.

> Twi made a hands reference in Equestria. Definitely confused the rest of the mane 6. The only thing I'm surprised about is that they didn't have Lyra pop out of nowhere, haha

> Twilight finds the pony equivalent of Flash to be a guard at the palace (guard from the beginning, if not pretty obvious already). So she falls in love with him. I guess Twilight is the new Cadence. And of course her friends tease her for having a crush on the castle guard :P

I blame Funnyjunk for showing me 4chan which showed me the movie. I do not endorse or support watching the movie unless you are watching it in theaters or on dvd, netflix or such. The following url's are proof sources to testify that I did not make up any of this to try and faultily prove the movie to be exceptional. View the youtube links at your own risk. [p1]|[p2]|[p3]|[p4]|[p5]| P.S.: 10 points to whoever else spots the hidden bong.

Also, have a clip taken from the end credits showing derpy eating a muffin: Link

My overall rating? 8/10 stars. The animation would be hard to judge, since the quality wasn't the best, but it definitely looked decent. The storyline was good, a bit rushed though. Man, with the movie they could have made it however long they wanted to and include many more details, but that's the biggest downfall of the entire movie, how rushed it seemed. The comedy was great, and the tiny little puns and small humor made the movie funny while serious. I'm definitely going to buy the movie when it comes out on DVD, see it in theaters possibly, maybe once it hits the secondhand theaters (which are pretty much just as good, viewing quality is just as good, sound system is maybe a bit lower than main theaters. Much cheaper too). I would definitely recommend that you check this out if you're curious.

Also, it took me forever to do this because I stopped half way through and went somewhere. I agree with a lot of what Nav said, what he said is sorta a TL;DR of what I said, haha.
Last edited by itroitnyah on 23 Jun 2013 21:08, edited 1 time in total.
itroitnyah

Postby Nine Volt » 23 Jun 2013 21:03

Please put spoilers in white. I personally don't care but there are probably some people who do
Nine Volt

Postby itroitnyah » 23 Jun 2013 21:09

Nine Volt wrote:Please put spoilers in white. I personally don't care but there are probably some people who do

Done.
itroitnyah

Postby ganondox » 24 Jun 2013 12:02

ganondox

Postby itroitnyah » 24 Jun 2013 12:20

The review you linked to, ganon, is well written, and the person who wrote it obviously knows what he's talking about. I can agree that the movie definitely isn't show quality, but I still enjoyed it.
itroitnyah

Postby ganondox » 24 Jun 2013 20:24

Anyway, I haven't actually seen the movie yet, not sure if I ever well, but from what I'm getting it's sounds like it's an enjoyable movie, but it definitely has it's flaws, and I'd probably be the type of person to complain about said flaws.
ganondox

Postby itroitnyah » 24 Jun 2013 21:30

Image Yeah.... We really don't need any hints there that you'd be complaining about the flaws, it'd pretty obvious that you would, just given your behavior from the past of this thread.
itroitnyah

Postby ExoBassTix » 25 Jun 2013 13:11

Was that necessary, itroitnyah?
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Sonarch » 25 Jun 2013 13:13

ExoBassTix wrote:Was that necessary, itroitnyah?

nothing in this thread is necessary
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby Pimps_McGee » 25 Jun 2013 15:58

HEY HEY EVERYBODY WE'VE GOT SOMETHING TO SAY
Pimps_McGee

Postby Sonarch » 25 Jun 2013 21:24

You guys, is there a Derpy appearance in the movie? I haven't read any spoilers, just curious.
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby ganondox » 25 Jun 2013 21:29

Sonarch wrote:You guys, is there a Derpy appearance in the movie? I haven't read any spoilers, just curious.

In the biggest moment in fan wank history she appears with a muffin in the credits.

ganondox

Postby itroitnyah » 25 Jun 2013 21:53

Sonarch wrote:You guys, is there a Derpy appearance in the movie? I haven't read any spoilers, just curious.

She's also spotted in the lunch room when you see Twi walking with Flutter over to a table, she's on the far right side, bottom. Or one of the lunchroom scenes where one or so of the main characters are walking down an aisle

Here it is: link
itroitnyah

Postby S.P.P » 27 Jun 2013 04:52

ganondox wrote:Something about fan wanking

Hasbro acknowledges fans: "ZOMFG THEY R JUST FAN PANDERING LAME -1/10"
Hasbro does not acknowledge fans: "ZOMFG THEY R IGNORING THE BRONIES WE R IMPORTANT TO THER MONI MAKES. LAME -1/10

Anyways, I just finished watching it, and after all the negativity that's been surrounding the movie, I really was pleasantly surprised! I'll have a full in-depth as good as I can do review later when I get on my PC.
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby ph00tbag » 27 Jun 2013 08:38

Just putting this out there.

Am I the only one, having actually watched the movie, feels kinda sad that Flash Sentry supposedly won't be making an appearance in the main show? More because Twilight is adorable when she's totally discombobulated by his hotness, than the fact that I like him as a character.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby Magnitude Zero » 27 Jun 2013 10:10

ph00tbag wrote:Just putting this out there.

Am I the only one, having actually watched the movie, feels kinda sad that Flash Sentry supposedly won't be making an appearance in the main show? More because Twilight is adorable when she's totally discombobulated by his hotness, than the fact that I like him as a character.

Nope, I feel the same way! Awkward Twilight is best Twilight.
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby Mesogears » 27 Jun 2013 19:53

I just got done watching Equestria Girls.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts.
"Melodyne is the glue that holds our vocals together."
~vladnuke
https://soundcloud.com/mgmusic19/vision-of-before-featfritzybeat

For clarity's sake, Mesogears = The Lunar Conspiracy
Mesogears

Cutie Mark: Drums

PreviousNext

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic