MLP TV movie + New Branch off MLP:FiM

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Re: MLP TV movie + New Branch off MLP:FiM

Postby ganondox » 12 Jun 2013 08:14

Have you actually read what I said?

itroitnyah wrote:
ganondox wrote:1. Apparently people do care, or else we wouldn't even be having this discussion because there would be no backlash against the negative reactions to EQG.
I think you mean that you and eery care, because I haven't seen many other people in the fandom complaining about EqG, or at least not as many as before.

Your point about complaining about EQG is irrelevant because that's not what we were discussing. We were discussing about people caring about my opinion of EQG, and the evidence is that you are trying to get us to like it.

2. " narrow vision ", there you go, attacking people who disagree with you again. It's not narrow mindedness, it's a mixture of standards and insight. Just because you may or may not lack one or both of those doesn't mean that does who disagree with you are narrow minded.
Well, being narrow minded means that you have an intolerance of, breadth of view, little sympathy, etc. So being politically correct, you are indeed narrow minded, and 9V trying to tell you that you should give it a chance and not shove your opinion in others peoples faces like your opinion is better than theirs isn't narrow minded.
Ergo, you must be narrow minded because you have no tolerance for people who dislike the idea of EQG, can't understand why someone might not like it, and shove your opinion of it in my face. You are doing exactly the thing you are accusing me of doing, which gives you even more narrow minded points for failing to see that. I'm not saying that you won't like EQG, I'm saying that I have problems with the very concept and the "enjoyability" of the film isn't going to change that.

4.I don't really give two fucks about EQG, there is nothing that can be done about it's existence now, what I do give a fuck about the efforts being made to compel people into watching it.
If you don't care, then don't come here and argue, because by doing so, it shows that you really do care. I can't imagine that watching TV with you would be a good experience by any means, because every time an advertisement would come on, I get the feeling that you would get up and shout and whine and rage at the advertisement for their efforts to compel people into buying the product. So you're being a hypocrite as well, telling us that we can't try and compel people into watching it, but you can compel people into not watching it (which you've been trying to do this whole thread)

Again, have you actually read what I wrote? My comments on the first trailer weren't angry, they were snide. I was joking. The only possible anger there was arguments coming later. For the second trailer, all I said was that I thought Spike was cool in the trailer, but I was still against the very concept of it, which I was against the whole time. Anyway, I don't rage against advertisements, if I say anything I usually just calmly mock it like I was originally doing here, which is plenty entertaining for other people who share similar views on stupid advertisements. EQG supporters aren't the only people here.

6. I get an "I told you so", those are worth their weight in gold. ;)
You don't get an "I told you so" until the movie comes out and it is indeed as bad as you've been suggesting. Not before then, only after then. So don't go around marching your flag in triumph until you've actually won the battle.
:roll: That was in reply to "Even if it does end up sucking, you're still not getting anything for predicting it." I was joking, but apparently all of my humor goes over your head.

Anyway, ExoBassTix is wise, I am a fool. However, while the concept of EQG being bad is debatable, it can be argued that it's badness could be determined through objective means, using measures like Consistency and The Law of Conservation of Detail. Essentially, stories shouldn't contradict themselves, should make sense, and if an element doesn't enhance the story there is no reason for it to be included it. It can b argued that the concept of EQG violates those. Generally, those are hallmarks of bad writing, though if they are intentional and some sort of multilayer commentary or something is going on than there could be an exception (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... esAreTools). However, I highly, highly doubt EQG will be such a story.

Now, as for Sonic Rainboom, I enjoyed it well enough, but it's writing was absolutely awful, and it's concept was even worse than EQG. If that was canon the show would have gone far beyond just jumping the shark. EQG seems to be more or less the same type of thing, though to a lesser extent, including that is is also closer to affecting the actual show. Actually, making Twilight go to HS might be even worse than a powerpuff girls crossover as that directly contradicts what we have already seen with Twilight since the very first episode of the series.
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Postby ExoBassTix » 12 Jun 2013 10:01

ganondox wrote:Have you actually read what I said?

itroitnyah wrote:
ganondox wrote:1. Apparently people do care, or else we wouldn't even be having this discussion because there would be no backlash against the negative reactions to EQG.
I think you mean that you and eery care, because I haven't seen many other people in the fandom complaining about EqG, or at least not as many as before.

Your point about complaining about EQG is irrelevant because that's not what we were discussing. We were discussing about people caring about my opinion of EQG, and the evidence is that you are trying to get us to like it.

2. " narrow vision ", there you go, attacking people who disagree with you again. It's not narrow mindedness, it's a mixture of standards and insight. Just because you may or may not lack one or both of those doesn't mean that does who disagree with you are narrow minded.
Well, being narrow minded means that you have an intolerance of, breadth of view, little sympathy, etc. So being politically correct, you are indeed narrow minded, and 9V trying to tell you that you should give it a chance and not shove your opinion in others peoples faces like your opinion is better than theirs isn't narrow minded.
Ergo, you must be narrow minded because you have no tolerance for people who dislike the idea of EQG, can't understand why someone might not like it, and shove your opinion of it in my face. You are doing exactly the thing you are accusing me of doing, which gives you even more narrow minded points for failing to see that. I'm not saying that you won't like EQG, I'm saying that I have problems with the very concept and the "enjoyability" of the film isn't going to change that.

4.I don't really give two fucks about EQG, there is nothing that can be done about it's existence now, what I do give a fuck about the efforts being made to compel people into watching it.
If you don't care, then don't come here and argue, because by doing so, it shows that you really do care. I can't imagine that watching TV with you would be a good experience by any means, because every time an advertisement would come on, I get the feeling that you would get up and shout and whine and rage at the advertisement for their efforts to compel people into buying the product. So you're being a hypocrite as well, telling us that we can't try and compel people into watching it, but you can compel people into not watching it (which you've been trying to do this whole thread)

Again, have you actually read what I wrote? My comments on the first trailer weren't angry, they were snide. I was joking. The only possible anger there was arguments coming later. For the second trailer, all I said was that I thought Spike was cool in the trailer, but I was still against the very concept of it, which I was against the whole time. Anyway, I don't rage against advertisements, if I say anything I usually just calmly mock it like I was originally doing here, which is plenty entertaining for other people who share similar views on stupid advertisements. EQG supporters aren't the only people here.

6. I get an "I told you so", those are worth their weight in gold. ;)
You don't get an "I told you so" until the movie comes out and it is indeed as bad as you've been suggesting. Not before then, only after then. So don't go around marching your flag in triumph until you've actually won the battle.
:roll: That was in reply to "Even if it does end up sucking, you're still not getting anything for predicting it." I was joking, but apparently all of my humor goes over your head.

Anyway, ExoBassTix is wise, I am a fool. However, while the concept of EQG being bad is debatable, it can be argued that it's badness could be determined through objective means, using measures like Consistency and The Law of Conservation of Detail. Essentially, stories shouldn't contradict themselves, should make sense, and if an element doesn't enhance the story there is no reason for it to be included it. It can b argued that the concept of EQG violates those. Generally, those are hallmarks of bad writing, though if they are intentional and some sort of multilayer commentary or something is going on than there could be an exception (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... esAreTools). However, I highly, highly doubt EQG will be such a story.

Now, as for Sonic Rainboom, I enjoyed it well enough, but it's writing was absolutely awful, and it's concept was even worse than EQG. If that was canon the show would have gone far beyond just jumping the shark. EQG seems to be more or less the same type of thing, though to a lesser extent, including that is is also closer to affecting the actual show. Actually, making Twilight go to HS might be even worse than a powerpuff girls crossover as that directly contradicts what we have already seen with Twilight since the very first episode of the series.

Hmm...
Better.

I think that I'm gonna cancel the lock request that I semt earlier.
It's under control now. Let's hope that it stays at a discussion.

I may be sounding like I'm gonna kill you if you don't, but I fight for peace where there is unnecessary and resolvable fighting. Which is why I requested the lock in the first place, that I'm now gonna cancel.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby itroitnyah » 12 Jun 2013 11:06

ganondox wrote:Ergo, you must be narrow minded because you have no tolerance for people who dislike the idea of EQG, can't understand why someone might not like it, and shove your opinion of it in my face. You are doing exactly the thing you are accusing me of doing, which gives you even more narrow minded points for failing to see that. I'm not saying that you won't like EQG, I'm saying that I have problems with the very concept and the "enjoyability" of the film isn't going to change that.
I was never trying to shove my opinion in your face, I've been trying to tell you not to shove your opinion in everybody's face. I haven't been trying to tell people that the movie is going to be so amazing and that they have to watch it, just that they shouldn't bash it before they see it.

However, while the concept of EQG being bad is debatable, it can be argued that it's badness could be determined through objective means, using measures like Consistency and The Law of Conservation of Detail. Essentially, stories shouldn't contradict themselves, should make sense, and if an element doesn't enhance the story there is no reason for it to be included it. It can b argued that the concept of EQG violates those.
Very well, explain where the storyline as far as we know it in EG contradicts itself, and where there are unnecessary elements. Because I really don't see any of these going on. The whole thing makes sense, I don't see or hear any contradictions, and Twi going to the human world and going to high school are part of the story itself, they aren't unnecessary elements by any means.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby ganondox » 12 Jun 2013 11:52

itroitnyah wrote:
ganondox wrote:Ergo, you must be narrow minded because you have no tolerance for people who dislike the idea of EQG, can't understand why someone might not like it, and shove your opinion of it in my face. You are doing exactly the thing you are accusing me of doing, which gives you even more narrow minded points for failing to see that. I'm not saying that you won't like EQG, I'm saying that I have problems with the very concept and the "enjoyability" of the film isn't going to change that.
I was never trying to shove my opinion in your face, I've been trying to tell you not to shove your opinion in everybody's face. I haven't been trying to tell people that the movie is going to be so amazing and that they have to watch it, just that they shouldn't bash it before they see it.

However, while the concept of EQG being bad is debatable, it can be argued that it's badness could be determined through objective means, using measures like Consistency and The Law of Conservation of Detail. Essentially, stories shouldn't contradict themselves, should make sense, and if an element doesn't enhance the story there is no reason for it to be included it. It can b argued that the concept of EQG violates those.
Very well, explain where the storyline as far as we know it in EG contradicts itself, and where there are unnecessary elements. Because I really don't see any of these going on. The whole thing makes sense, I don't see or hear any contradictions, and Twi going to the human world and going to high school are part of the story itself, they aren't unnecessary elements by any means.

This thread isn't devoted to like or dislike of the show. You've expressed positive opinions, I've expressed negative ones. I've done no more opinion shoving than you have. It's your opinion that people shouldn't bash something before watching it.

I said it's arguable, so you aren't necessarily going to agree with this. Anyway, it's not that this contradicts with itself as much as when it's extended to FiM it would cause FiM to contradict itself, and since this is the source of the contradictions the bad writing would be here. Examples of potential contradictions are Twilight going to HS despite being shown in higher education prior and breaking the mythology governing Equestria. It also appears there might be thematic contradictions, but we will need to see how it's executed to be sure on that. The concept of HS and human world do nothing to enhance FiM in concept because they have nothing to with it in the first place, it just adds a random element to complicate things. The movie might add some depth, but the basic premise itself does not. Now, Sunset Shimmer, on the other hand, is a concept that appears like it will enhance the story because it will embellish the character of Celestia, Twilight, and the mythology of Equestria, but execution will determine if that is actually done well or not. Anyway, these are just potential examples of the problem of the concept of EQG.
ganondox

Postby itroitnyah » 12 Jun 2013 12:35

ganondox wrote:I said it's arguable, so you aren't necessarily going to agree with this. Anyway, it's not that this contradicts with itself as much as when it's extended to FiM it would cause FiM to contradict itself, and since this is the source of the contradictions the bad writing would be here. Examples of potential contradictions are Twilight going to HS despite being shown in higher education prior and breaking the mythology governing Equestria. It also appears there might be thematic contradictions, but we will need to see how it's executed to be sure on that. The concept of HS and human world do nothing to enhance FiM in concept because they have nothing to with it in the first place, it just adds a random element to complicate things. The movie might add some depth, but the basic premise itself does not. Now, Sunset Shimmer, on the other hand, is a concept that appears like it will enhance the story because it will embellish the character of Celestia, Twilight, and the mythology of Equestria, but execution will determine if that is actually done well or not. Anyway, these are just potential examples of the problem of the concept of EQG.
So a source on contradiction is Twi going to high school where as she had higher education in Eq. We can't really prove that Twi's EQ education = average high school education. However, even if Eq education does surpass HS, then twi belongs in the high school anyways, since we can determine that based on how she looks as a human compared to the other students at the school, she is just about the right age for high school. I can sorta see how you guys would think that putting it into high school seems sorta "random" though, so I can't really argue that other than saying that the trailer can't show the entire movie, so they may have cut out the explanation about how she got into the high school (I mean, how often do you see a random student appear in one of your classes that hasn't been there before that the teacher doesn't question where s/he came from?), or they may have seen a part about Twi enrolling into the high school or something as an unnecessary element and cut it out. We'll just have to wait for the movie to come out and watch it.

Well, I'm glad we got that all sorted out, lol. Like I said before, arguing like this is fun :3
itroitnyah

Postby Nine Volt » 12 Jun 2013 13:04

ExoBassTix wrote:Hmm...
Better.

I may be sounding like I'm gonna kill you if you don't, but I fight for peace where there is unnecessary and resolvable fighting. Which is why I requested the lock in the first place, that I'm now gonna cancel.

You have no right to call a lock request on a thread that isn't your own. Nobody is going to lock a thread for you just because you ask for it unless it's your own thread.
Nine Volt

Postby ExoBassTix » 12 Jun 2013 15:04

Nine Volt wrote:
Better.

You have no right to call a lock request on a thread that isn't your own. Nobody is going to lock a thread for you just because you ask for it unless it's your own thread.

Fine. I just asked Lavender, then.
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby Nine Volt » 12 Jun 2013 15:11

ExoBassTix wrote:
Nine Volt wrote:
Better.

Fine. I just asked Lavender, then.

Like, you just did that, or that's what you did when you requested a lock?
Nine Volt

Postby Sonarch » 12 Jun 2013 15:15

Nine Volt wrote:Like, you just did that, or that's what you did when you requested a lock?

The latter, I suspect
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Primary: FL Studio

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 12 Jun 2013 18:01

I as the OP request to lock away this arguing.
Bronies Are Cool

Cutie Mark: Snowboard

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 12 Jun 2013 18:25

OP? Oops, I meant OG

Hehe
Bronies Are Cool

Postby Nine Volt » 12 Jun 2013 18:34

Stop.
Nine Volt

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 12 Jun 2013 19:21

Ok...
Bronies Are Cool

Postby itroitnyah » 12 Jun 2013 21:12

itroitnyah wrote:I can sorta see how you guys would think that putting it into high school seems sorta "random" though

Ok, so while I was at work, a thought popped up into my head, about how ganondox seems to think that plopping Twi down into the HS setting seems random. Well, it'd actually be random to make the main location of the movie pretty much anywhere. Making the location a zebra kingdom would be just as random as a high school, which would also be as random as, say, a giant soccer field in equestria. In fact, the only place the movie could take place that wouldn't seem random would be in places that the mane 6 have already been to: Ponyville, Canterlot, Cloudsdale, etc. Now, some of the places that they could send the mane 6 for the movie could be a whole lot more random, such as sending them to an oil refinery. However, the mane 6 [anywhere] in the form of a human still had some sense of predictability in that Hasbro, being the capitalist company they are, would capitalize on the fanon of humanized ponies. So in a sense, the mane 6 turning into humans and going to high school is about as random as indiana jones going into a castle in Europe to search and uncover a relic from the dark ages. (He didn't do that before, did he? I haven't seen enough IJ to know) Or, that's the way I see it, now.
itroitnyah

Postby itroitnyah » 12 Jun 2013 21:28

Why does changing her being suddenly make the story bad?
itroitnyah

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 12 Jun 2013 22:54

Here is my serious post:

What makes something stand out? Is something that follows "normal" guidelines going to stand out more tha something that does not? Change the visual othe character after three seasons, that's not usually what happens, but it happened here. So what? It stands out.

Have you seen brother bear 1 and 2. (Spoilers) in the first movie, there is some lady who is a human. In the second movie, she gets turned into a bear. Woah, way to stand out. ( brother bear was so second grade)
Bronies Are Cool

Postby itroitnyah » 13 Jun 2013 06:30

eery wrote:Because you got an established character. You've established this character for 3 season of previous writing. Changing her is pointless, its not consistent. You dont read harry potter, then in the last book, they change his hair, his scar, and his gender. It makes no sense, it doesn't add to the story. You don't do that, you make a new character if you want a new character. You don't abolish previous traits to drive a story, thats inconsistent and illogical.
Well, it only wouldn't make sense if they changed Harry's appearance at random. If there were a story behind why it changed, then it'd be good, and it'd make sense. The same thing is with eg. A thief jumps into a portal to somewhere, and so twi has to go and retrieve it. Obviously I'm not being super detailed as we can't be sure of too many details behind it, but you get the idea. They aren't even changing her emotional character, just her physical character. So yeah, until the movie proves otherwise, there's a story behind why she changed into a human. Which would bring us around to somebody pointing out the the portal could have lead anywhere, and therefore sending them to a high school setting is random, and my rebuttal would turn back to, well, sending the other side of the portal anywhere would be random, with varying degrees of random as the places get more obscure.
itroitnyah

Postby ganondox » 13 Jun 2013 11:19

Bronies Are Cool wrote:Here is my serious post:

What makes something stand out? Is something that follows "normal" guidelines going to stand out more tha something that does not? Change the visual othe character after three seasons, that's not usually what happens, but it happened here. So what? It stands out.

Have you seen brother bear 1 and 2. (Spoilers) in the first movie, there is some lady who is a human. In the second movie, she gets turned into a bear. Woah, way to stand out. ( brother bear was so second grade)

Brother Bear 2 wasn't as good as Brother Bear 1. The point isn't the physical changes in the characters, it's about established whatever in the stories. Transformation is a key thematic element in Brother Bear, both physical transformation and transformation in character. Turning Kenai into a bear was the main focus of brother bear, and aside from driving the plot it also helped define his character. Something similar happened in the second movie, only with the girl instead of Kenai. That's not the case in MLP. Alicorn Twilight might embellish Twilight's character because of the role alicorns have in EQD (however, if Alicorn Twilly does end up just being Twilight with wings, and everything else stays the same, then the change is pointless, and thus it's bad writing), but humans have nothing to do with FiM, so the change is detached. In all actuality the argument that the humans are just the mane 6 with fingers and toes proves the change is pointless and thus bad.

itroitnyah wrote:
eery wrote:Because you got an established character. You've established this character for 3 season of previous writing. Changing her is pointless, its not consistent. You dont read harry potter, then in the last book, they change his hair, his scar, and his gender. It makes no sense, it doesn't add to the story. You don't do that, you make a new character if you want a new character. You don't abolish previous traits to drive a story, thats inconsistent and illogical.
Well, it only wouldn't make sense if they changed Harry's appearance at random. If there were a story behind why it changed, then it'd be good, and it'd make sense. The same thing is with eg. A thief jumps into a portal to somewhere, and so twi has to go and retrieve it. Obviously I'm not being super detailed as we can't be sure of too many details behind it, but you get the idea. They aren't even changing her emotional character, just her physical character. So yeah, until the movie proves otherwise, there's a story behind why she changed into a human. Which would bring us around to somebody pointing out the the portal could have lead anywhere, and therefore sending them to a high school setting is random, and my rebuttal would turn back to, well, sending the other side of the portal anywhere would be random, with varying degrees of random as the places get more obscure.

It doesn't make sense with EG. The problem is that "thief going through portal" is a cover up made after fact, an explanation. There is nothing inherently linking "thief going through portal" with "ponies turning to humans and going to highschool". As I stated previously, having the characters remain unchanged would actually be one of the biggest problems as it would just highlight how pointless and stupid the change is. This has no place within the greater overarching mythology of Equestria and themes of FiM, it's just an excuse to launch toyline. I have nothing against working with toylines, but the story regarding the toyline should be bent to fit within the existing mold of the series, not bending the show to fit with the themes of the toy. Essentially, there is writing up to embellish a world, which is good, and writing down to cover up flaws from a conflicting element, which is bad. Unless EQG is some deep multilayered film where choosing to turn the ponies into HS students is itself a narrative on some sort of theme, which I highly doubt (and anyway that seems to conflict with the established themes in the show, this isn't satire) than it's going to be that latter.
ganondox

Postby itroitnyah » 13 Jun 2013 12:00

ganondox wrote:It doesn't make sense with EG. The problem is that "thief going through portal" is a cover up made after fact, an explanation. There is nothing inherently linking "thief going through portal" with "ponies turning to humans and going to highschool". As I stated previously, having the characters remain unchanged would actually be one of the biggest problems as it would just highlight how pointless and stupid the change is. This has no place within the greater overarching mythology of Equestria and themes of FiM, it's just an excuse to launch toyline. I have nothing against working with toylines, but the story regarding the toyline should be bent to fit within the existing mold of the series, not bending the show to fit with the themes of the toy. Essentially, there is writing up to embellish a world, which is good, and writing down to cover up flaws from a conflicting element, which is bad. Unless EQG is some deep multilayered film where choosing to turn the ponies into HS students is itself a narrative on some sort of theme, which I highly doubt (and anyway that seems to conflict with the established themes in the show, this isn't satire) than it's going to be that latter.
There wouldn't be anything inherently linking the thief going to the zebra kingdom either. So what I am inferring right now is that you guys think in order for the EG to not be random in a bad way, they have to follow a strict theme of pony, so a pony city or something located in equestria. It's like when a thief is running from the police. There isn't actually any reason for him to be speeding down the highway other than because he wants to get away from the police. Most criminals have no idea where they're planning on going to ditch the police, they're just running for the sake of running. Some thieves dump their rides and run into the forest, even if they have no idea where they are. Other thieves are more coordinated and have a plan on where they're going to go. Whether sunset shimmer planned on going to the human world or didn't we can't really determine 100% yet, as all we know is that she jumped through the portal. So there isn't anything really random about the movie as far as I can see. The portal was used as an escape and the human world was the escape destination, just like the car is the escape and the forest is the destination.
itroitnyah

Postby ExoBassTix » 14 Jun 2013 01:41

I think that the thief going through the portal and ending up in the human world doesn't necessarily have to have a deep but correct meaning for the story.
Does a bank robbery have that?
Does throwing stuff around have that?
Do your everyday actions have that?
Probably not. It serves for a bridge leading to new inspiration, if you'd ask me.
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby ganondox » 14 Jun 2013 08:11

itroitnyah wrote:
ganondox wrote:It doesn't make sense with EG. The problem is that "thief going through portal" is a cover up made after fact, an explanation. There is nothing inherently linking "thief going through portal" with "ponies turning to humans and going to highschool". As I stated previously, having the characters remain unchanged would actually be one of the biggest problems as it would just highlight how pointless and stupid the change is. This has no place within the greater overarching mythology of Equestria and themes of FiM, it's just an excuse to launch toyline. I have nothing against working with toylines, but the story regarding the toyline should be bent to fit within the existing mold of the series, not bending the show to fit with the themes of the toy. Essentially, there is writing up to embellish a world, which is good, and writing down to cover up flaws from a conflicting element, which is bad. Unless EQG is some deep multilayered film where choosing to turn the ponies into HS students is itself a narrative on some sort of theme, which I highly doubt (and anyway that seems to conflict with the established themes in the show, this isn't satire) than it's going to be that latter.
There wouldn't be anything inherently linking the thief going to the zebra kingdom either. So what I am inferring right now is that you guys think in order for the EG to not be random in a bad way, they have to follow a strict theme of pony, so a pony city or something located in equestria. It's like when a thief is running from the police. There isn't actually any reason for him to be speeding down the highway other than because he wants to get away from the police. Most criminals have no idea where they're planning on going to ditch the police, they're just running for the sake of running. Some thieves dump their rides and run into the forest, even if they have no idea where they are. Other thieves are more coordinated and have a plan on where they're going to go. Whether sunset shimmer planned on going to the human world or didn't we can't really determine 100% yet, as all we know is that she jumped through the portal. So there isn't anything really random about the movie as far as I can see. The portal was used as an escape and the human world was the escape destination, just like the car is the escape and the forest is the destination.

Zebra Kingdom isn't random at all (wait, why are we even talking about randomness? My criticism was that it was disconnected, not simply just random), it would be a lot better than Human World 1. all the themes of that could be explored with human world could be explored with zebra world like cultural alienation and 2. it builds on the established world, we already have zebras. Zebra Kingdom is just an all around better concept. Anyway, the real problem with your argument is you don't get how it works, you are looking at this from a top-down perspective when in order to analyse it you need to go to the roots, and you are missing the point completely by floating around in the leaves. You are asking the "how", but not the "why". I'm not asking how Twilight became a human, I'm asking "why", and the truth is that there is no good reason. That's the problem. You are making all these assumptions about a thief in the portal, but what you don't realize is why there is even a theft in the first place, you never questioned that. The reason is to set up EQG.
ganondox

Postby itroitnyah » 14 Jun 2013 10:56

ganondox wrote:Zebra Kingdom isn't random at all (wait, why are we even talking about randomness? My criticism was that it was disconnected, not simply just random), it would be a lot better than Human World 1. all the themes of that could be explored with human world could be explored with zebra world like cultural alienation and 2. it builds on the established world, we already have zebras. Zebra Kingdom is just an all around better concept. Anyway, the real problem with your argument is you don't get how it works, you are looking at this from a top-down perspective when in order to analyse it you need to go to the roots, and you are missing the point completely by floating around in the leaves. You are asking the "how", but not the "why". I'm not asking how Twilight became a human, I'm asking "why", and the truth is that there is no good reason. That's the problem. You are making all these assumptions about a thief in the portal, but what you don't realize is why there is even a theft in the first place, you never questioned that. The reason is to set up EQG.

I've never asked "how" (unless I forgot a moment when I asked how), because I already know "how" for the majority of the problems, such as Twi turning into a human. It was because the thief went through the portal and so did twi. With you're asking "why" because there's no good reason to it, I could say the same thing to a zebra kingdom as the setting for the movie. I mean, there's good reason for either settings -- for the cultural alienation and typical friendship lessons -- but there wouldn't be a 100% good reason for any location.

-Why did you choose the setting of this movie to be Canterlot?
-I don't know. Because the thief could blend in with all the rich, and the rich have no motivation to steal since they practically already have what they want. It would make finding the thief hard.

-Why did you choose the setting of this movie to be Cloudsdale?
-I don't know, because the thief would know that Twilight can't fly very well and is using it as a quick escape route

-Why did you choose the setting of this movie to be the human world? besides the obvious toy marketing capitalism thing
-I don't know, because the thief knows that the human world is one that Twilight knows nothing about and she can easily get away from Twilight

Also, "but you don't realize why there is even a theft in the first place, you never questioned that." I'm pretty sure the reason behind that is obvious. Two reasons. One: Thieves usually don't steal things just for the shits and giggles, there's motives such as fame, riches, etc. Two: As you've said, it's to set up EqG. But they could use reason two to set up any location that the thief would run to.
itroitnyah

Postby Freewave » 14 Jun 2013 14:32

Sad thing is many people will shortly be seeing this movie just so they CAN tear it apart and say it was ill inconceived. However Hasbro likely will be happy as thats still another ticket sold when MLP on tv was otherwise free. Most will missout on the point that MLP's first launch to movie theaters and a larger audience will be completely devoid of any ponies. It distracts us from what the show is about and even looks like. Best of luck y'all let's hope it isn't awful.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby ph00tbag » 14 Jun 2013 15:04

Freewave wrote:Sad thing is many people will shortly be seeing this movie just so they CAN tear it apart and say it was ill inconceived. However Hasbro likely will be happy as thats still another ticket sold when MLP on tv was otherwise free. Most will missout on the point that MLP's first launch to movie theaters and a larger audience will be completely devoid of any ponies. It distracts us from what the show is about and even looks like. Best of luck y'all let's hope it isn't awful.

So wait, the movie's not going to be about the power friendship has to help you overcome your obstacles?

Because that's what MLP is about.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby Nine Volt » 14 Jun 2013 15:37

MLP is about ponies. It's literally the only thing in the damn title (the franchise title, that is)
Nine Volt

PreviousNext

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic