I have a bit of a writing concept problem...

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

I have a bit of a writing concept problem...

Postby DemonicBrony » 27 Jan 2013 12:26

Back in late 2011 early part of last year, I devised a concept for a possible G5 of My Little Pony that carried a more combat-action and adventure oriented tone, but after keeping in mind the franchises "mane demographic" for My Little Pony I decided to take my concept and rework into a different series titled Mystic Riders because of how I was influenced by the Ps3/Xbox 360 game Darksiders. Which I find it odd how some resemblance to Harry Potter got into the narrative when I started writing it several months ago.

With that introduction out of the way, here's the problem I have:"I'm trying to make sure that Mystic Riders isn't an MLP clone by having each breed of pony be able to use magic in their own way, which is why they attend schools, among other things, but the main characters are destined to save their world from an evil witch while partnered with human riders. each Rider represents a positive emotion in the same manner that The Green Lantern is Will Power, The Blue Lantern is Faith, and The Star Sapphires are Love, but I don't want to have the main pony characters or their riders wearing necklaces like The Elements Of Harmony, so I'm looking for a replacement means to represent said emotional based abilities, because I'm going for similar but different.
DemonicBrony

Re: I have a bit of a writing concept problem...

Postby itroitnyah » 27 Jan 2013 13:06

A birthmark.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby DemonicBrony » 27 Jan 2013 13:32

itroitnyah wrote:A birthmark.

Um, I'd need to be careful with that though, because y'know Birthmark... Cutie Mark.... Same difference to some people I know. Although given how I use a birth mark in my manga/comic-book series Highschool Guardian where the main character Miyome's birth mark glows when she uses her powers, because she's the reincarnation of a warrior who had the same mark on her arm. I could probably do something similar here, but I'd have to be careful where the birthmarks are placed... But I'll take that into consideration.
DemonicBrony

Postby vladnuke » 27 Jan 2013 14:57

Well, it's not like ponies patented symbols. That would be Homestuck.
But srs, symbols are good ways of differentiating charchters.

You could go for Clan Insignia or smth.
vladnuke

Postby itroitnyah » 27 Jan 2013 15:13

I'm looking for a replacement means to represent said emotional based abilities, because I'm going for similar but different.
That's essentially what a cutie mark is, so just go with a cutie mark or birth mark to represent a ponies emotional based abilities. No need to go for more than 1 symbol for the same thing :P Or am I misinterpreting it?
itroitnyah

Postby topitmunkeydog » 27 Jan 2013 20:46

I like the clan symbol thing. You should make it like a prequel to the current show.
topitmunkeydog

Primary: (trying to learn) ableton
Cutie Mark: yes

Postby DemonicBrony » 27 Jan 2013 23:25

vladnuke wrote:Well, it's not like ponies patented symbols. That would be Homestuck.
But srs, symbols are good ways of differentiating charchters.

You could go for Clan Insignia or smth.

I'm sure you're aware of the Transformers fandom, and how they deem anything that has transforming robots as a rip-off of {i]Transformers.[/i] While Hasbro hasn't patented symbols on a pony, I'm certain there will be a strong vocal minority of Bronies who would consider me using a mark on the ponies in my story as a rip-off hence why I removed anything like tattoos, birthmarks, or marks of any kind from the concept.

Although I gave the clan insignia idea some though while I was doing dishes at work today, and sense I am a Naruto fan(Yeah I said it >:) ) I have some ideas on how I can make this work, especially with the unintentional Harry Potter element.

itroitnyah wrote:
I'm looking for a replacement means to represent said emotional based abilities, because I'm going for similar but different.
That's essentially what a cutie mark is, so just go with a cutie mark or birth mark to represent a ponies emotional based abilities. No need to go for more than 1 symbol for the same thing :P Or am I misinterpreting it?

Hence the problem with using a Birthmark, which is why I removed that when I developed this concept. The fact that they're virtually the same thing. But I just remembered that I decided on the Ponies and riders wearing armor( http://hanyouyomi.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d41ae5u ) The armor Rainbow Dash is wearing in that pic is the armor I devised for one of the characters in this story of mine. So I might be able to use that in some way...

topitmunkeydog wrote:I like the clan symbol thing. You should make it like a prequel to the current show.

I might if I decide to go with that... But paranoia dictates that I be careful because of the Cutie-Mark Crusader capes... And then mixing Naruto with MLP would piss several more people off...

I'm starting to hate the vocal minority of nerdom... -_-"
DemonicBrony

Postby itroitnyah » 28 Jan 2013 06:30

So just go for armor or varying sizes, types and complexities that represent their emotionally based abilities.
itroitnyah

Postby DemonicBrony » 28 Jan 2013 15:33

itroitnyah wrote:So just go for armor or varying sizes, types and complexities that represent their emotionally based abilities.

Yeah... I'm thinking of using lockets too given the Magical Girl Anime element I'm working into the story... I also think exposure to a text audience is in order.
DemonicBrony

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic