New and Latest Episode Thread

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Re: New and Latest Episode Thread

Postby simonli2575 » 28 Dec 2013 10:03

What a disappointment, we never see naturally born bat ponies in this episode, though Flutterbat is quite cool.
http://soundcloud.com/simonli2575
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
Software: FL Studio, Z3ta+2 & Massive
Hardware: Roland 800-Pro and a computer
Genres: Drum 'n' Bass and occasionally Jungle
Genres I want to try out: Dubstep, Breakcore, Hardstyle and Trap
Alycs made my new avatar. \o/
simonli2575

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Why are you staring at my ass

Postby itroitnyah » 28 Dec 2013 14:00

It was pretty obvious that a few of the ponies had backup singers with the song in the beginning. Also, I'm quite surprised that Twi was against fluttershy. It seems like she would have agreed that the bats are helping the apple trees.

The episode wasn't really rushed either. What's this? No rushed episode in 3 weeks? Blasphamy! Anyways, it was pretty good.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Jokeblue » 28 Dec 2013 20:50

Alrighty, New episode! Bats!

Spoiler Another running review:
- I feel like Applejack was being a bit overly hateful towards the bats. Telling all her friends that they are evil and bad and nasty and there is nothing good about them at all, and not stopping until they believe her and will do anything to get rid of them? Sounds like Racism, Politics, and the Media, dontcha think?

- Also, the fact that they didn't trust Flutters with she was saying when she's kind of the pro on all things animal is kind of stupid. I mean they saw her tame a freaking Dragon, but they don't think she can handle bats?

- Guh, Applejack and Rainbow Dash are kinda annoying in this ep. I mean Applejack is pretty much just "APPLES APPLES APPLES APPLES" and even worse Dash is kinda just "CIDER CIDER CIDER CIDER."

- Wouldn't taking the Vampire Fruit Bats desire to drain apples away from them cause the whole species to die out from starvation? Or would they go find a new food source? Either way, Twilight, You tried this before with the Parasprites, and things only got worse.

- Oh sure, so Now you ask for Fluttershys help in animal expertise. Right after you failed to solve the problem with your magic ._. Great work Twi.

- Pfft lol. A stakeout. I see what you did there, Twi.

- "Everyone have their pony-signal?" *GLORIOUS UNICORN MASTER RACE MAGIC BEAMS* *Peasant earthpony torch*

Pretty cool that Pinkie's mane is pretty much alive though haha

- Omg Applejacks face when she lights of her signal xD

- Vampire Flutters is best pony. This is amazing. I love it, but it only feeds my desire to see legit Batponies appear - like Luna's Night Guard, but normal and not... guards.

- Pinkie confirmed as Shai Hulud - The Great Sandworm of Arrakis.

- Twi's diagram thing trying to explain what happened reminds me of me trying to explain events and timelines in Doctor Who to my Little Brother and sister. Except my Little brother and sister don't get it.

- Fluttervamp is best pone. Seriously was this meant to be an Applejack episode? Becuase if so Flutters has stolen the entire show.

- At least Applejacks sorry about what she inadvertadly did to Flutters and is actually remorseful about it, enough so that she'd sacrifice her Big Apple for Flutters normality instead of continuing with her "APPLES APPLES APPLES."

- The back and forth banter between Pinkie and Flutters kinda reminds me of something....

"What do you mean? Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"

- Wait a second, the message of this episode seems a little fimiliar too...

"Dear Princess Celestia - I didn't learn anything! I was right all along!"

(The actual message is pretty good though).

- Pinkie stop trying to be funny and just be normal. Because you're at your funniest when you're just being your normal Pinkie self :/

- Wait, the tooth? Is Flutters still Fluttervamp, or would that be the equivalent of zooming in on someones canines to raise suspicion? Does this mean she's part bat pone? Headcanon accepted?

Overall it was a decent episode. Not overtly funny sadly but it was still entertaining. Don't feel like it was rushed, either. Flutters is being raised in the Best Pone poll, too.
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby ClaviSound » 28 Dec 2013 22:22

I actually had to download this episode rather than watch it live or streamed because I'm on vacation and don't have a good enough connection for streams, but ponies don't take a vacation.

Spoiler Some commentary or something:
-I swear I was just waiting for the intro bit to have Applejack doing snow angels in a giant pile of apples. Seriously, she's never been subject to torture in grimdark fanfiction because she just bleeds apples and "a pool of Red Delicious slowly tumbled out of her body" isn't scary

-During the song, Fluttershy makes the argument that vampire bats are really good at heart and have families and whatnot... and then that sort of goes nowhere and it's generally accepted that they're just bad news that have to be corralled in a certain section of the orchard. Sorry Fluttershy, I guess you really were wrong.

-Flutterbat is going to get ALL the fanart. All of it.

-0/10 for DHX trying to make Fluttershy scary when we all know that's just impossible

-Honestly, even though she's not scary, they could have made her more intimidating. Where are the scare chords? Where's the struggle as Fluttershy grapples with Spike? Where's the close-up of her fangs so, so close to biting through another mane six's neck? Where's the knocking others to the ground with force far beyond what she should be capable of? Really, all she does is kind of swoop toward them, what does she expect that will do? "Maybe if I feint towards them they'll leave me alone"? Puh-leeze.

-Dat Twilight lecture. I'mma start calling her the Tron Wizard, cuz she totes is

-I swear, first the shadowy figure at the end of Castle Mane-ia, now this. How many untied plot points are we going to get? DHX had better resolve these by the end of the season, or I'm going to be disappointed, because they're better writers than that.

-I hope the erroneous crediting of the episode's writer helps Merriweather vindicate herself in the eyes of the community. I swear, I never understood people's dislike of her writing. Wonderbolt Academy's in my top five episodes. Maybe people will actually stop judging her episodes based on who's writing it now, or at least that's what I hope.

My overall verdict?

...Juicy.

MwahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA yeah i liked it eagerly awaiting next week's ep
aka Scott Hopkins aka Swerve Keystyle aka Equestrian Threat: https://www.youtube.com/c/EquestrianThreat

I can't type cursive, so I don't know what's supposed to go in my signature.

Don't quote me.
ClaviSound

Primary: Audacity cuz sweg, Ableton
Cutie Mark: N/A

Postby itroitnyah » 28 Dec 2013 23:18

Jokeblue wrote:- Pinkie stop trying to be funny and just be normal. Because you're at your funniest when you're just being your normal Pinkie self :/

Thank you for reminding me. The people running the show are really trying way too hard to make Pinkie random. And it seems to rarely work.
itroitnyah

Postby simonli2575 » 28 Dec 2013 23:22

Which kind of reminds me...
Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy, do you even grammar?
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
simonli2575

Postby Jokeblue » 29 Dec 2013 01:58

ClaviSound wrote:-Flutterbat is going to get ALL the fanart. All of it.

She already is getting fan art lol. I've been seeing it all day just on Facebook.

Jokeblue

Postby Magnitude Zero » 29 Dec 2013 09:21

itroitnyah wrote:
Jokeblue wrote:- Pinkie stop trying to be funny and just be normal. Because you're at your funniest when you're just being your normal Pinkie self :/

Thank you for reminding me. The people running the show are really trying way too hard to make Pinkie random. And it seems to rarely work.

This is my one real complaint about this season.

Pinkie is SUCH a great character when the writers don't try to flanderize her into some one-dimensional side-gag. Give me "sweet but strange" Pinkie over "lol i have no idea what's going on i'ma say some stupid shit" Pinkie, any day.

The rest of the season has been pretty great though I'm loving it so far. And that song was brilliant.
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby ph00tbag » 29 Dec 2013 13:02

Well, we went seven episodes without Applejack even once mentioning apples. I guess she decided to make up for lost time this ep.

And we're back to Rainbow "Ned Flanders" Dash. Seriously, why can't Rainbow Dash's motivation be simply because she, oh I don't know, knows how much Applejack's orchard means to Applejack, and wants to help her friend succeed? This cider thing blows a previous episode's gag way out of proportion and makes her seem selfish and simpleminded. Wait, what? This episode is written by MWW? Why am I not surprised?

Spoiler words:
I did rather enjoy the Flutterbat segments. That was a creative way to create that tension.

I'm really starting to worry about these teases at the ends of episodes. Castlemania, Power Ponies, and Bats! have both had this thing, and it's really messing with the continuity for me. So what, is the Pony of Shadow going to be coming back? Is Mane-iac coming out of the comic to attack or something? Is Fluttershy still a vampire pony? If they're not, then stop implying they are.

These teasers don't work like they do in shows with no continuity. If something like that happened in Regular Show, it wouldn't matter in the next episode, because each episode is its own continuity. But with Pony, they're in a continuing world. When an ending like that happens, those decisions ought to last, otherwise the continuity of the world is broken.

When it happened the first time, I was excited, because it suggested a continuous villain. Then it happened again, and I was confused, because it wasn't really necessary, but it seemed possible it was the work of the Pony of Shadow. Now I'm just concerned, because the assumptions I have to make are compounding, and there hasn't even been a payoff yet for the first teaser. I mean, are we ever going to see Flutterbat play into future episodes? I'm growing increasingly concerned we won't, and that marks a worrying change in the show's approach to continuity.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby JacksonMiller » 30 Dec 2013 03:52

Why did they have to name this episode "BATS!"? surely they could've used a good pun or a original title, but no, you simply had to go for the one word summary. Seriously?
I barely go on this website nowadays...

Soundcloud
ToneDen
Twitter
Facebook

JacksonMiller

Primary: FL Studio 11 (formerly Reason)
Cutie Mark: Da fuq's a cutie mark?

Postby Gray Ham » 30 Dec 2013 22:15

I really liked this episode, which seems to continue the theme this season of me either really liking or really hating every episode. The song sounded like it was straight out of a musical.

Anyway, back to the season thing, we need a Pinkie episode soon to make up for the lack of character she's had recently. It's also a worrying trend that every episode so far, apart from the CMC episode, has featured all of the mane 6 (except for Pinkie, can we have her back please).
currently on a hiatus from actively making music due to school

ImageImage
What's soaking wet and clueless?
Gray Ham

Primary: ACID
Cutie Mark: A Trumpet

Postby ph00tbag » 31 Dec 2013 09:57

JacksonMiller wrote:Why did they have to name this episode "BATS!"? surely they could've used a good pun or a original title, but no, you simply had to go for the one word summary. Seriously?

It was originally supposed to be a musical episode, and the title was in reference to CATS.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby JacksonMiller » 31 Dec 2013 15:46

ph00tbag wrote:
JacksonMiller wrote:Why did they have to name this episode "BATS!"? surely they could've used a good pun or a original title, but no, you simply had to go for the one word summary. Seriously?

It was originally supposed to be a musical episode, and the title was in reference to CATS.

Oh, right! Forgot!
I barely go on this website nowadays...

Soundcloud
ToneDen
Twitter
Facebook

JacksonMiller

Primary: FL Studio 11 (formerly Reason)
Cutie Mark: Da fuq's a cutie mark?

Postby simonli2575 » 04 Jan 2014 10:01

Thinking of stuff to comment as I'm watching the episode.
- Urgh, generic music.
- Dammit, do you ponies even teleport?
- Oh for fuck sake, generic stallion #4910385, there's a PRINCESS in front of you and you're not letting them a cab?
- Good job being nice to your rivals, Rarity. At least the hotel shirts do look nice though.
- Gamefly? Fuck that, I have Steam.
- Ouch.
- I was hoping for a bittersweet ending. Oh well.
Overall, 8/10.
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
simonli2575

Postby Gray Ham » 04 Jan 2014 10:03

Here's my comments copied and pasted from Steam:

2:32 AM - Klashik <Gray Ham>: okay this start was actually p good
2:37 AM - Klashik <Gray Ham>: THE SONG'S CALLED GENEROSITY
2:38 AM - Klashik <Gray Ham>: FUCK YOU GENERIC SONG-TITLING mUSICIANS
2:40 AM - Klashik <Gray Ham>: so this episode is literally based on the mane 6 having an IQ of 6.4
2:53 AM - Klashik <Gray Ham>: AD FOR TUB TIZZIES
2:53 AM - Klashik <Gray Ham>: I THOUGHT SHE WAS SAYING TOUGH TITTES
2:57 AM - Klashik <Gray Ham>: this episode has the pacing of underage sex
2:59 AM - Klashik <Gray Ham>: okay this adorable minor character has made up for it
currently on a hiatus from actively making music due to school

ImageImage
What's soaking wet and clueless?
Gray Ham

Primary: ACID
Cutie Mark: A Trumpet

Postby itroitnyah » 04 Jan 2014 12:18

It was 'k.

The music wasn't all that exceptional, the plot was, uh, meh. Sorta reminds me of the one episode where Rarity is making the dresses for the grand galloping gala, or when shy becomes this big pop model or whatever.
itroitnyah

Postby ClaviSound » 04 Jan 2014 13:56

I honestly think it's my favorite episode of season 4 by a decisive margin. Maybe it's just because the message hits so close to home for me.
aka Scott Hopkins aka Swerve Keystyle aka Equestrian Threat: https://www.youtube.com/c/EquestrianThreat

Don't quote me.
ClaviSound

Postby Magnitude Zero » 04 Jan 2014 14:16

ClaviSound wrote:I honestly think it's my favorite episode of season 4 by a decisive margin. Maybe it's just because the message hits so close to home for me.

Agreed.

The moral is the best one we've seen so far in the show imo, and the episode was just all around fantastic for so many tiny little reasons that I really can't list. If it's not my favorite episode in the show it's certainly up there.
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby simonli2575 » 04 Jan 2014 14:25

I do wonder though, what about other competitors' dresses and what happens to Suri Polomare afterwards?
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
simonli2575

Postby ph00tbag » 04 Jan 2014 16:27

I may be premature in saying this, but I think this is my favorite episode in the whole series.

Spoiler Kinda spoilery here:
Like, Rarity's breakdown, and way it targets her friends because they just happen to be in the wrong place feels so real and natural for her character. And the way Rarity works all of that out on her own really drives the lesson home.

The animation was the usual S4 splendor. The pacing was incredible. The characters worked out so well, and the dialogue was popping with wit and banter. Season four begins right here and now.

All in all this episode was aight. Forget everything I've ever said about Dave Polsky. All is now forgiven.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby itroitnyah » 05 Jan 2014 09:39

Can't the hotel charge Rarity for damages, tho?

It also seems a bit far fetched that in one night, using rugs and lamp shades and curtains and bed linings found in a hotel room, all made in one night completely by people who are pretty inexperienced with any sort of sewing or whatever, would place first in a huge fashion contest.
itroitnyah

Postby ph00tbag » 05 Jan 2014 11:25

Have you ever actually watched a fashion show? Those things can get really wacky if the designers consider themselves at all avant garde.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby ClaviSound » 05 Jan 2014 13:41

itroitnyah wrote:Can't the hotel charge Rarity for damages, tho?

It also seems a bit far fetched that in one night, using rugs and lamp shades and curtains and bed linings found in a hotel room, all made in one night completely by people who are pretty inexperienced with any sort of sewing or whatever, would place first in a huge fashion contest.

Nah, they've done well enough before. Remember the end of "Suited for Success"? They didn't need Rarity's help to make her dress. If anything, stuff like Fluttershy botching the stitching shouldn't have happened, because it's been established she's a proficient, if not excellent, sewer. The Mane Five may not have that great a fashion sense, but I don't think they'd have four left hooves by default on the matter.

And yeah, the hotel probably could charge Rarity for damages, but she's got like a billion gems, and since one of her designs had hotel keys around the neck, I'm assuming she struck some sort of deal with the hotel she was staying in.

Don't quote me.
ClaviSound

Postby Jokeblue » 06 Jan 2014 08:54

Ok! It's 20 past midnight and time to watch the new episode!

Spoiler RunningReviewThingy:
- Rarity manipulates baby dragon to do her bidding. Dragons owner stands by and watches happily.
- Pinkie stahp it's not funny anymore. You're character is becoming too forced. I know we've already been over that but still.
- Dash is stocked about going too a musical? ._. ok then. Didn't entirely expect that. "But it must be good if Rainbow Dash is impressed"
- Hah, that little forshadowing of the song. I wasn't ready for a song. But I am now. And it's a Rarity song. I like where this is going
- Changed my mind. Don't like this song as much as some of the others. Heart as strong as Horses was better.
- A grumpy cat cutie mark?? How the hell is your special talent an unhappy cat? Oh well that's a neat little easter egg thingy I guess.
- Flutters gets a bit of singing time. This pleases me.
- So the mane 6 just kinda show up, and proceed to make everyones day better while singing and touring the city.
- Guy with the 4 chan reminiscent colour scheme and clover cutie mark back chats princess. Luna would be having none of that. Step up your game, Twilight! Abuse that power!
- omg x3 that little rarity freakout moment xD I love it!
- Miss primthingy looks like shes dragging her hind legs around like a stretching or crippled dog.
- Oh hey, it sounds like Ashleigh Ball is voicing Miss Primthingy. She let her AJ and her RD out a couple of times there.
- Everybody has had that awkward moment where they meet someone they used to know but had completely forgotten about, but they still know and remember you quite well so you pretend that you still know them too.
- Pfff the way Suri Polomare ends heaps of sentences with "ehehe.. okay" really gets me xD
- I like that Receptionist pony's design. Voice is a little annoying though.
- Aw, Coco. Feel sorry for her :c
- "mm'kay?"
- Rarity stop being so hilarious and cute you're gonna give me a heart attack
- This face is killing me xD Just the way twi held it til the end of the scene while everybody else changed expressions
- It's already well established in the show that Fluttershy has "crazy sowin skills/knowledge", so why go against that and show her screwing up?
- Oh they're hungry nevermind.

- Rarity overeacts? Maybe, maybe not. The fashion show is a massive deal to her, and it is the reason they're all in Manehatten anyway. Having all her friends want to bail on her when things are tough... to be honest i'd be pretty indignant too. I can also list times when i've had similar situations unfold around me. I'm sure most have. They're not very fun and you tend to just blow off steam at whoevers around you at the time, whether thet deserve it or not. This scene was done well in that you can really feel for Rarity and the shitty hand she's been dealt, but you can also see how unrightfully her friends are being treated when they're all pitching in and trying to help her out. Makes you remember that there's always more than your side to this kind of situation.

- This is probably one of my favourite lines of this episode - "Oh look theres our friend Rarity crashing down in FLAMES!! Isn't friendship MAGIC?!"
- Now that Rarity's had her outburst, the slaves can get back to work.
- Rarity's being too impatient and self centered. I thought she would have pulled back or been the slightest bit remorseful by then...
- That suri polomare. Bitch.
- Rarity's line is a kind of scary Avant-garde. I mean what was she thinking? "Hey let's put a lampshade on your head, cover you in keys, and give you a soap necklace! People will love it!! FASHION!!!"
- Oh right. Friends aren't there. Drama intensifies. Rarity wins(?) the contest at the cost of friends realises mistakes yada yada
- What the hell was with that rainbow flash that wen through her eyes?
- "OUT OF MY WAY, SUPERMODEL!!"
- ACK OMG THEY GAVE RARITY A WET MANE *Gasps for air*
- I like how Rarity learnt her lesson. She progressed through it and resolved it on her own, and it really shows off her growing character, unlike how in old episodes for some of the characters they'd have to go through some slight embarassment or humiliation in front of their friends before writing a letter to their Glorious Goddess of the Sun Celestia explaining what stupid thing they did.
- Having the musical to themselves reminds me of when I went to see Thor 2 with my uncle in the awesome cinema with big leather seats and an even bigger than normal screen, and we were the only ones there. It was really awesome.
- The grand finale of the musical had 5 actors on stage. Lel.
- Dashie is great :3
- Thanks to the main characters, a relatively unimportant side character steps up and quits her job under an oppressive, abusive boss. Kewl.
- "I suppose you'll need a job, wouldn't you? Hey, here's an idea! Why don't you work off my debt to the theater company and do my job for me? I know they'll be expecting me to make them fabulous outfits and not some random, but who cares! I'll be debt free, the theater company will get its costumes, and you'll get a job! Everyone wins! Oh, except they probably won't be paying you - at all. Y'know, the whole "favour for a favour", working off my debt to them thing? Oh well cherrio toodaloo bye bye now you'll never see this face aga~in!"
- OMG MYSTERIOS RAINBOW THREAD? ANOTHER LOOSE END? WHAT IS THIS?? THIS HAS TO MEAN SOMETHIIIINNGGG FOR THE FINALEEE!!

I can't be bothered saying much more. It is now 2:00 AM. Took me a while to do this, yes I know.

ph00tbag wrote:I may be premature in saying this, but I think this is my favorite episode in the whole series.

Spoiler Kinda spoilery here:
Like, Rarity's breakdown, and way it targets her friends because they just happen to be in the wrong place feels so real and natural for her character. And the way Rarity works all of that out on her own really drives the lesson home.

The animation was the usual S4 splendor. The pacing was incredible. The characters worked out so well, and the dialogue was popping with wit and banter. Season four begins right here and now.

All in all this episode was aight. Forget everything I've ever said about Dave Polsky. All is now forgiven.

This is pretty much this episode for me too. When I finished watching it, I was like -

"Ey. Dat episode was pridy gud. Tennouttatenn!"

Jokeblue

Postby itroitnyah » 11 Jan 2014 13:46

Pinkie was less crazy this episode, and the crazy wasn't quite as over exaggerated as it usually is. And the episode wasn't rushed, either. Overall it was OK.
itroitnyah

PreviousNext

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic