New and Latest Episode Thread

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Re: New and Latest Episode Thread

Postby ph00tbag » 23 Mar 2014 05:42

Best episode because Luna.

Honestly, though, I can't really find anything about this episode to really dislike. It was well-executed, did a little world-building, hinted at overall character development, and gave a clear snapshot of Sweetie Belle and Rarity's relationship. Luna's bits were icing on the cake.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby itroitnyah » 23 Mar 2014 08:54

I've been noticing a lot of CMC episodes lately. Well...

What if they're making more episodes about the CMC
Because the CMC are going to be taking the place of the mane six later on in the show?

Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby simonli2575 » 23 Mar 2014 11:32

Incoming Fanfics about the alternate future.

This is one of the trippiest episodes I've ever watched, would love more Luna-in-dream sequences.
http://soundcloud.com/simonli2575
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
Software: FL Studio, Z3ta+2 & Massive
Hardware: Roland 800-Pro and a computer
Genres: Drum 'n' Bass and occasionally Jungle
Genres I want to try out: Dubstep, Breakcore, Hardstyle and Trap
Alycs made my new avatar. \o/
simonli2575

Cutie Mark: Why are you staring at my ass

Postby Gnarrkhaz » 26 Mar 2014 19:06

Really good episode. The most important lesson we learned is that Sweetie Belle's taste in music is better than Applebloom's and Scootaloo's. Another hint at how her cutie mark will most likely be singing or something else music related.
Gnarrkhaz

Primary: Reaper
Cutie Mark: white solid body guitar

Postby Jokeblue » 27 Mar 2014 01:42

I am totally making a For Whom The Bell Tolls/For Whom The Sweetie Belle Toils parody and there is nothing you can do to stop me
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby Callenby » 27 Mar 2014 11:02

WHERE.
THE HELL.
IS.
OCTAVIA?
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." - Pablo Picasso
Free online classes (including music) can be found here. Credit for my avatar goes to Lolo.

Tumblr / YouTube / Soundcloud
Callenby

Primary: Cubase 7.5
Cutie Mark: Double bass clef heart

Postby Freewave » 27 Mar 2014 15:40

Jokeblue wrote:I am totally making a For Whom The Bell Tolls/For Whom The Sweetie Belle Toils parody and there is nothing you can do to stop me

I echo this

One incidental is I was totally getting flashbacks to Cheerilee's Garden fimfiction because the cmc was in main roles in costume, on stage, and Cheerilee was wiggin. I kept expecting bloodshood but was relieved when it didnt happen. Guess that title was misleading.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby itroitnyah » 29 Mar 2014 23:03

this episode, ponies explored the placebo effect. Great, I love the placebo. There are a ton of cool things it can do.

Overall the episode was pretty decent. One of the better episodes, but not one of the amazing episodes.

Also, going back to the idea that the items that the mane 6 are receiving are the keys to the box, the coin that AJ got in this episode is her key.
itroitnyah

Postby Coloriot » 30 Mar 2014 12:15

In today's episode, Flim and Flam go into the drug business.
Colorkek that makes computer noises.

What's my main genre? All of them.

[Youtube] [Soundcloud] [EQBeats] [Bandcamp] [Twitter]
Coloriot

Primary: Ableton Live 7
Cutie Mark: Mac Color Wheel of Doom

Postby FLAOFEI » 31 Mar 2014 03:23

In this episode, Sharks are confirmed cannon!
xD

I always say thinking you know somethimg is the easiest way to do it good. That took me through a lot of school work with minimal studying. :I

Also, thos was a great way to spend a monday morning
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby ganondox » 31 Mar 2014 11:21

Finally caught up.

Gnarrkhaz wrote:Really good episode. The most important lesson we learned is that Sweetie Belle's taste in music is better than Applebloom's and Scootaloo's. Another hint at how her cutie mark will most likely be singing or something else music related.

This x10

Anyway, for once I agree with itroitnyah, in that Maud Pie is definitely one of my favorite episodes this season.
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Postby ph00tbag » 31 Mar 2014 13:25

Ugh, it's so annoying that Applejack's key is money. Now it can't be spent.

Yeah, it was a good episode. Just good all around, but I'm seriously irked by AJ's key being a bit.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby Stuntddude » 01 Apr 2014 07:07

MLP episode 420: Apple Bloom misinterprets "high diving" and the Flim Flam bros. take this opportunity to get revenge on Applejack by turning her sister into a pothead. Also, Apple Bloom gets her cutie mark.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Cutie Mark: { }

Postby ganondox » 01 Apr 2014 20:59

ph00tbag wrote:Ugh, it's so annoying that Applejack's key is money. Now it can't be spent.

Yeah, it was a good episode. Just good all around, but I'm seriously irked by AJ's key being a bit.

Has there been any actual confirmation does are the keys? They might throw a curveball on us.

Stuntddude wrote:MLP episode 420: Apple Bloom misinterprets "high diving" and the Flim Flam bros. take this opportunity to get revenge on Applejack by turning her sister into a pothead. Also, Apple Bloom gets her cutie mark.

I think I've seen that in comic once.
ganondox

Postby ph00tbag » 02 Apr 2014 14:48

ganondox wrote:Has there been any actual confirmation does are the keys? They might throw a curveball on us.

I think the theory's rock solid enough to speak in terms of absolutes on it. There has been no other real discussion of the topic, and it's the only thing with continuous references throughout the season. Thus far, the staff has been relatively above-board with plot devices in this show. This ain't How I Met Your Mother.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby itroitnyah » 05 Apr 2014 22:42

Well it looks like episode 21 had a very impressive start. It even had a reference to the uhh, that one episode where Twi sings. And teleports from lily pad to lily pad.

Transitioning between scenes looks frickin' awesome. Lovin' this episode already.

"Check your intelligence privileges, Twilight" - Rainbow Dash

Pinkie is a rapper now.

Overall it was a great episode. One of the top of the season.
itroitnyah

Postby ganondox » 06 Apr 2014 22:09

Rainbow Horse confirmed for ADD Horse. After this episode, I like Rainbow Dash a lot more.

ph00tbag wrote:
ganondox wrote:Has there been any actual confirmation does are the keys? They might throw a curveball on us.

I think the theory's rock solid enough to speak in terms of absolutes on it. There has been no other real discussion of the topic, and it's the only thing with continuous references throughout the season. Thus far, the staff has been relatively above-board with plot devices in this show. This ain't How I Met Your Mother.

I agree it's most likely, but they might serve some other purpose in the episode other than being the actual keys.
ganondox

Postby ph00tbag » 08 Apr 2014 13:06

I really liked this episode a bunch. The animation in particular was top-notch.

Really, though, I just like the dynamic between Rainbow Dash and Twilight. As time has gone on, I feel like they've grown really close as friends, and regard each other as primary confidants. This episode really strengthens that point of view for me. I've always felt that the one on one dynamics of this show are what really make it for me, and the episode gives lots of that, too.

ganondox wrote:I agree it's most likely, but they might serve some other purpose in the episode other than being the actual keys.

I don't disagree, but I use "key" as a shorthand, since whatever happens, they will be the direct logical precursors to the keys. But rather than waste time typing that out, they're just the keys.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby Gnarrkhaz » 09 Apr 2014 16:10

Am i the only one who didn't like this episode at all? In fact i'd go so far as to say it's one of the worst of the whole series.

First of all the premise of learning how to learn is just boring but that's just the set up so no big deal.

The drama between Twilight and Rainbow Dash felt very unnatural. Why would Rainbow Dash blame Twilight for not being able to teach her efficiently? I see they've come a long way as friends...

A lot of what the characters do just makes no sense whatsoever anyway. Why is Rainbow Dash totally relaxed not knowing the history of the Wonderbolts although the test is coming up and then after realizing she doesn't know shit she's totally baffled? That is asinine. Who the hell uses...clothing to teach stuff? I've never heard of that. Did Rainbow Dash seriously expect to pass Twilight's test with the answers she gave? Why does Pinkie rap? I don't get it. Why didn't they just use a "normal song" instead of faking a music video that's not even there. Why do Owlowiscious and Spike join Rainbow Dash in fooling around during class? That seems out of character to me. And most importantly of all: Why the hell is Rainbow Dash such a bitch shooting spitwads at Twilight!?

Also why did this episode need those rewind effects? It seemed unnecessary to me.

There were also some minor annoyances in the way the characters talked but i can't remember it and i'm not watching this again, at least not now.

I think the only thing i liked were some of the facial expressions but most of it was just not good...like...at all!
Gnarrkhaz

Postby Stuntddude » 09 Apr 2014 16:46

Gnarrkhaz wrote:the premise of learning how to learn is

One of the most relatable and fundamental human endeavors?
Gnarrkhaz wrote:just boring

Oh. Okay, then?

Gnarrkhaz wrote:Why does Pinkie rap?

Wait, have... are you even familiar with Pinkie? Do you even watch the show? Why would you even ask a question like that?

Gnarrkhaz wrote:Why do Owlowiscious and Spike join Rainbow Dash in fooling around during class?

One is a kid and the other is a pet. Honestly, it seems like you're just trying to make up things to find wrong about the episode. All the stuff you mentioned either had really obvious answers/explanations, or are thinks that are 100% subjective and not even anything wrong with the episode. I respect that there are plenty of legitimate criticisms to make about the episode, as with all episodes, but you're just not making any of them.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
Stuntddude

Postby CitricAcid » 09 Apr 2014 16:50

I can answer a few of your questions for you:

Gnarrkhaz wrote:Why would Rainbow Dash blame Twilight for not being able to teach her efficiently? I see they've come a long way as friends...

Because Rainbow Dash believes she can't be wrong. And in the event it appears that she is wrong, it must actually mean someone else is wrong. It's in her personality/worldview.

Gnarrkhaz wrote:Why is Rainbow Dash totally relaxed not knowing the history of the Wonderbolts although the test is coming up and then after realizing she doesn't know shit she's totally baffled?

She's relaxed, because she's not used to being stressed. She's used to being awesome at everything and the mindset that comes with it. Realizing that she isn't awesome at this comes as a shock. (I've been guilty of this in the past.)

Gnarrkhaz wrote:Who the hell uses...clothing to teach stuff?

Rarity apparently. That seemed a bit forced to me, but it did make for some fun colorful eye candy for the audience. I may be able to draw a parallel, though. I once had a class where I had to memorize a bunch of stuff word-for-word. In order to do that, I used music. I would write little tunes, so I could sing the words I needed to memorize to myself. It helped. And since music falls under the "Art" category, it is conceivable that someone could utilize a different art form--like fashion--to help them learn.

Gnarrkhaz wrote:Did Rainbow Dash seriously expect to pass Twilight's test with the answers she gave?

This goes along with your second question, though it is a bit more extreme of an example. RD isn't used to needing the correct answers to be awesome. She's used to using her style and attitude to be awesome, and being correct has never been a contributing factor to this. Again, she's simply unaware of the necessary mindset.

See my answer to your third question. Also because Pinkie.
Also here's some even better examples of using songs to help one memorize things.

Gnarrkhaz wrote:Why do Owlowiscious and Spike join Rainbow Dash in fooling around during class?

Spike is immature, so he will have a natural tendency to fool around. I agree that it is out of character for Owlowiscious. He should be much more responsible than that.

Gnarrkhaz wrote:Why the hell is Rainbow Dash such a bitch shooting spitwads at Twilight!?

This is harder for me to justify. However I just got done watching a Game Grumps episode where they talked about how they express their love by telling each other to f* off. This is similarly alien to me. Also Patrick did it to Spongebob that one time. I get the feeling that this sort of behavior represents a personality type that I've just simply never encountered.

I wasn't a huge fan of this episode, but now that I've taken this time to analyze it for you, I think I enjoy it a bit more. My own learning style is closest to Applejack's "You mean you don't already know?" -style. Pay attention in class and do the homework and you'll be fine. Try to cram everything into your brain the night before, and I really don't have any advice to give.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby Stuntddude » 09 Apr 2014 19:58

Paying attention in class and doing the homework is really difficult for some people, myself included, because it simply isn't remotely interesting to me (and, presumably, the aforementioned other people). Classes and homework ultimately feel like a waste of time, and that's certainly not an unfounded feeling, given how much time they take and how little I ever actually learn from them, whether or not I'm paying attention. Simply put, the current way that the school system set up only actually works well for a very few people, while the rest of us are left out to dry, so to speak.
Stuntddude

Postby Gnarrkhaz » 10 Apr 2014 15:19

Stuntddude wrote:things that are 100% subjective and not even anything wrong with the episode.

I don't think i even need to explain to you why your reasoning here is invalid. Image

CitricAcid wrote:
Gnarrkhaz wrote:Why would Rainbow Dash blame Twilight for not being able to teach her efficiently? I see they've come a long way as friends...

Because Rainbow Dash believes she can't be wrong. And in the event it appears that she is wrong, it must actually mean someone else is wrong. It's in her personality/worldview.

Gnarrkhaz wrote:Why is Rainbow Dash totally relaxed not knowing the history of the Wonderbolts although the test is coming up and then after realizing she doesn't know shit she's totally baffled?

She's relaxed, because she's not used to being stressed. She's used to being awesome at everything and the mindset that comes with it. Realizing that she isn't awesome at this comes as a shock. (I've been guilty of this in the past.)

I'm sure you can explain everything somehow and make it sound reasonable but that's not the point. These things make Rainbow Dash completely unsympathetic, more than ever before and that's my main gripe. Sure, she's always had a lot of bad character traits but for the most part they kind of enrich her even if nothing good comes out of it. They're quirks and so far i've enjoyed them for the most part but in this episode i simply cannot resist the urge to punch her in the face for her behaviour and supidity. It threw me off.

CitricAcid wrote:
Gnarrkhaz wrote:Did Rainbow Dash seriously expect to pass Twilight's test with the answers she gave?

This goes along with your second question, though it is a bit more extreme of an example. RD isn't used to needing the correct answers to be awesome. She's used to using her style and attitude to be awesome, and being correct has never been a contributing factor to this. Again, she's simply unaware of the necessary mindset.

I can't see how someone can be so "unaware of the necessary mindset" when they're facing a test that you don't see the need to actually study for the damn thing. Again, it's too extreme which in turn made me incapable of investing myself in it.

CitricAcid wrote:

See my answer to your third question. Also because Pinkie.

My problem is not with her rapping (although...), it's more about the music video. It came out of nowwhere and was really offsetting (just like the rewind effect). I'm not sure if that was really necessary. In the grand scheme of things this is a nitpick though.

CitricAcid wrote:
Gnarrkhaz wrote:Why the hell is Rainbow Dash such a bitch shooting spitwads at Twilight!?

This is harder for me to justify. However I just got done watching a Game Grumps episode where they talked about how they express their love by telling each other to f* off. This is similarly alien to me. Also Patrick did it to Spongebob that one time. I get the feeling that this sort of behavior represents a personality type that I've just simply never encountered.

I actually like these kinds of relationships. Hell, me and my brother have been doing this ever since i can remember. My mother always thinks we are arguing but we're not. It's just the slightly more rough, sarcastic tone we are used to. In the early episodes i noticed that being the case with Twilight and Spike also. I loved that! But sadly the creators apparently forgot about it and didn't follow up on it. Here, however it seems dickish because Twilight obviously doesn't appreciate it.

My main gripe for why i dislike this episode can be summed up in one word (although granted, i might have to rewatch it to refine my stance): Extreme. RD is just too extreme to be relatable. She's a dick to Twilight and she's oblivious to the most basic stuff like the need to study for tests. Frankly i didn't care if she passed the test or not. She had her chance to join the Wonderbolts numerous times now. She took those chances so there's nothing inherent in her like shyness or something similar that prevented her from doing so and in turn could make the viewer feel sympathetic for her. No, she took the chances...but nothing came out of it and at this point i just don't care about it anymore.

Like everything else in this series this storyline is stagnating. There's no story development. It's not that kind of series, however it appears it wants to be and that annoys me. Unless the creators change something drastically for future seasons which they should have done for season 4 already *coughprincesscough* this series is going to die a slow and painful death. I'm not exactly looking forward to season 5.

But then, that's what you get when you watch a childrens' cartoon.
Last edited by Gnarrkhaz on 10 Apr 2014 16:04, edited 2 times in total.
Gnarrkhaz

Postby Gnarrkhaz » 10 Apr 2014 15:32

Stuntddude wrote:Classes and homework ultimately feel like a waste of time, and that's certainly not an unfounded feeling, given how much time they take and how little I ever actually learn from them, whether or not I'm paying attention.

For perspective: A lot of work in life seems to take a shit ton of time and effort when you see what little you get out of it. Also just wait until you've been out of school for a couple of years and realize that you've forgotten a good chunk of it because you don't need it. Then you can talk about wasting time.

But now i'm just bitter. The lack of a good MLP episode definitely gets to me. Image
Gnarrkhaz

Postby itroitnyah » 10 Apr 2014 19:58

Speaking of that, school and wasting time, I actually brought this up to my Dad, who for some reason seems to always have a good response to what I have to argue about.

So I said, "The education system should be reformed so that in the early years you're learning the basics, middle school you're experimenting around with various subjects to help decide what you like to do, and high school you get to pick classes based solely on what you want to do in life." And you know what he said? Well, he said, "No, that wouldn't work, because students can often change their minds about what they want to study and do when they get out of school. Often times students don't even know what they want to be. When I was in high school, I wanted to be a lawyer. Then that went away and now I'm doing math all day long. We need students to be taking a wide variety of classes because they don't know what they want to be or do, or their minds will change."

And that is exactly why high school classes are not a waste of time, even if you'll never use the subject in your life.
itroitnyah

PreviousNext

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic