New and Latest Episode Thread

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Re: New and Latest Episode Thread

Postby Pewter Robot » 15 Nov 2012 14:58

itroitnyah wrote:
MRPPony wrote:I wonder if they'll decide to go back 1000 years and take a look at what the hell's been going on.
On January 1000 years ago, Sombra took over! We threw him in prisonment on March.
April 1, 1000 years ago, Discord came about and created chaos in equestria! We petrified him August.
October, 1000 years ago my dear sister got too jelly as the ponies gave me most of the credit and she attacked me. I banished her in December.

Unless they plan on adding more villains, sums it up about right, but damn 1000 years ago was one hell of a year.
I think that Celestia just says 1,000 years ago because she's rounding up, or she can't remember the exact date of when the event occurred. Think about it, if you were as old as she was, would you remember the exact date of the defeat of the Roman empire?

I believe the Roman Empire became a Republic in 50 B.C., when Julius Caesar died. If I remember correctly, the actual nation of Rome (at least the Western half) was dead sometime in the middle of the third century, c.1,600-1,650 years ago.
So yes, I probably would remember it even better if I experienced it.
I always enjoy doing something until I have to.
Good thing I'm supposed to be doing stuff other than music.

Listen to this:
https://soundcloud.com/pewter-robot/dont-listen-to-this-unless-1

Follow me on Twitter.
Pewter Robot

Postby inkBot » 15 Nov 2012 18:11

MRPPony wrote:I wonder if they'll decide to go back 1000 years and take a look at what the hell's been going on.
On January 1000 years ago, Sombra took over! We threw him in prisonment on March.
April 1, 1000 years ago, Discord came about and created chaos in equestria! We petrified him August.
October, 1000 years ago my dear sister got too jelly as the ponies gave me most of the credit and she attacked me. I banished her in December.

Unless they plan on adding more villains, sums it up about right, but damn 1000 years ago was one hell of a year.

Well, if we're gonna nitpick a bit. Between episodes "Mare in the Moon" and "The Crystal Empire - Part 1" there has passed at least two years since we've seen two winter episodes so far.

They never actually say how long ago Discords rule was, but they do say that it was before Celestia and Luna found the Elements of Harmony. So it could be well before Luna turned into Nightmare Moon.

In the Crystal Empire flashback we see Sombra being defeated by two alicorns. They are silhouetted so it's not necessarily Celestia and Luna. Since Celestia said that she knew little of the empire, that suggests it wasn't them. But they had the same silhouettes, the magic auras matched, and the magic they used looked similar to the Elements of Harmony magic. So I'm gonna go with it being them.

So then we have this chain of events:
Discord -> Sombra -> Nightmare Moon

So my hypothesis would be. Discord was first, way first. After his defeat Sombra took over the Crystal Empire and was subsequently defeated by Celestia and Luna. Now, we saw that Sombra used magic that would mess with your head. My guess is that Sombra is responsible for Luna turning into Nightmare Moon. That would explain why the events happen so closely to each other timewise (2 years).

itroitnyah wrote:I think that Celestia just says 1,000 years ago because she's rounding up...

I'd say that is the most likely explanation. Considering it's Celestia I'm guessing she remembers perfectly. Since the events, apparently, happened so close together it'd be simpler to just say something generic like a thousand years for brevitys sake. Especially if you consider they were under time pressure in that scene.
inkBot

Postby Gray Ham » 16 Nov 2012 06:13

Why was it called "Ballad of the Crystal Ponies"?
currently on a hiatus from actively making music due to school

ImageImage
What's soaking wet and clueless?
Gray Ham

Primary: ACID
Cutie Mark: A Trumpet

Postby inkBot » 16 Nov 2012 07:42

Technically I think all of the show's songs are ballads.
inkBot

Postby Freewave » 16 Nov 2012 10:21

XXDarkShadow79XX wrote:
Ed Viper wrote:I just finished the episode, and I can sum up my opinion of it in one word.

Eh.

Okay, maybe not necessarily a word, but my opinion stands. They took no time to develop the character of the villain (I think he said like 6 or 7 words in the whole 40-minute long special), and this "1,000 years ago" thing is has been tried quite a bit, don't you think.

It wasn't bad, just not very good, in my opinion.

Because the focus of the episode was about the main characters, not the problem. I mean, the whole thing was a freaking TEST to Twilight. I remember Joshscorcher said that Season 2 focused too much on the individual characters and not enough on their interaction. This shows that hopefully that has changed.

Each of the characters had been fine tuned and polished in this episode. (Especially Rarity and Applejack) Hell, even Spike had a part. Spike. When was the last time he did anything?

This episode was out of this world. And I know I'm not just high from excitement because I barely even wanted to watch it, but I forced myself to. And even then I took breaks to dick around on youtube and stuff. But when it was all over, I realized what I had seen.

Also, when Spike looked through the door, I really teared up.

I dunno I really was not impressed by this 2-parter. The characters seemed more cliched and one dimensional then they had ever been. Most of them didn't have much to do or even interact with each other. The plot was really lackluster and not explained well and King Sombra was the most generic villian so far. I just thought with season 3 they should have a better idea on how to do the show WELL. The fact that the community found more interest in the commercials (GAK) then the show after the fact says a lot to me...

MEH...things can only get better.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Matthew N. » 16 Nov 2012 14:05

Freewave wrote:MEH...things can only get worse.

My life motto as a pessimist.
Matthew N.

Postby Random111223 » 17 Nov 2012 04:55

Random111223

Postby SpyPie » 17 Nov 2012 13:21

The fandom hasn't caught on fire yet, has it?
Long Live the glory of the swarm and it's queen.
~
My Soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/mootaboot
SpyPie

Postby itroitnyah » 17 Nov 2012 16:42

S3E3 discussion starting since the leak. I actually almost forgot that there was going to be a new episode :P so used to the off season. But it's great to have MLP back on a regular schedule, for the next couple of months

Animation is awesome, and voice acting is better than the S3 premiere, imo.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby inkBot » 17 Nov 2012 16:47

This was a good episode overall. A bit heavy on the Pinkies, but that was kind of the point. The frog orange... thing, had me chuckling.

While I realize they needed a way to explain how they figured out who the real Pinkie was, it's a bit strange that they wouldn't catch on that the one, single, Pinkie that wasn't acting insane would be the real one. It's not like they haven't seen Pinkie mope before. coughPartyofOnecough
inkBot

Postby Matthew N. » 18 Nov 2012 08:57

inkBot wrote:While I realize they needed a way to explain how they figured out who the real Pinkie was, it's a bit strange that they wouldn't catch on that the one, single, Pinkie that wasn't acting insane would be the real one. It's not like they haven't seen Pinkie mope before. coughPartyofOnecough

Definitely the poorest aspect of the last episode. I can easily tell when a friend of mine is feeling down and sometimes I even know the reason... I just can't believe they dumbed it down so much.
Matthew N.

Postby FLAOFEI » 18 Nov 2012 09:23

You do have to take in to concideration the panic and stress around them, thinking straight could not have been easy in a situation like that.

I was missing the party of one hair though, that would have made me cry manly tears.

Fav part was pinkie hoof hand thing. Its sad they sent her away, Im sure Lyra wanted to learn that trick.

Allso, not sure if this was a dream/ nichtmare I had, or if I saw it online or something. But imagine whats under that lake, the decomposeing bodies and bones of all the copies that where sent back!!! Scary!!!
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby inkBot » 18 Nov 2012 09:41

FLAOFEI wrote:You do have to take in to concideration the panic and stress around them, thinking straight could not have been easy in a situation like that.

That would be a good argument if they didn't actually interact much with her at the time, but they did and explicitly pointed out that she was behaving differently.

It's not a gigantic issue, and definitely not an episode/show killer imho.

FLAOFEI wrote:Fav part was pinkie hoof hand thing. Its sad they sent her away, Im sure Lyra wanted to learn that trick.

I think the joke that me made laugh the most was Pinkie diving silently into the water. Physics, what is that?

FLAOFEI wrote:Allso, not sure if this was a dream/ nichtmare I had, or if I saw it online or something. But imagine whats under that lake, the decomposeing bodies and bones of all the copies that where sent back!!! Scary!!!

Somewhere, in the distance, the clacking from a keyboard can be heard. A grimdark fic is being written.
Last edited by inkBot on 18 Nov 2012 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
inkBot

Postby LFP » 18 Nov 2012 09:51

This episode sure was awesome :3
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby Matthew N. » 18 Nov 2012 11:00

LFP wrote:Image

Yeah, that scared the shiz outta me.
Matthew N.

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 18 Nov 2012 13:50

Aww, the new episode was nice. I had a stupid grin on my face the whole time. :D
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Postby itroitnyah » 18 Nov 2012 17:28

FLAOFEI wrote:nichtmare
Haha, Germish. Can't really tell if you're saying "nichtmare" because you don't know the word in english, or because german is better than english. I'm assuming that's german, at least. German, or Swedish? If it's german, I do believe it should be "nacht".

edit: Google translate tells me nicht doesn't exist in Swedish language, so German it is.
itroitnyah

Postby Pewter Robot » 18 Nov 2012 18:02

LFP wrote:Image

I still haven't seen it yet.
I don't even want to know...
I always enjoy doing something until I have to.
Good thing I'm supposed to be doing stuff other than music.

Listen to this:
https://soundcloud.com/pewter-robot/dont-listen-to-this-unless-1

Follow me on Twitter.
Pewter Robot

Postby SuperGiantRobot » 19 Nov 2012 00:18

Let's just say crazed clones. Yes, even by Pinkies standards.
SuperGiantRobot

Postby FLAOFEI » 19 Nov 2012 00:47

itroitnyah wrote:
Haha, Germish. Can't really tell if you're saying "nichtmare" because you don't know the word in english, or because german is better than english. I'm assuming that's german, at least. German, or Swedish? If it's german, I do believe it should be "nacht".

edit: Google translate tells me nicht doesn't exist in Swedish language, so German it is.

Nah, im Swedish and that was a typeing error. Swedish word for nightmare is mardrömm, so its basicly mare-dream with different pronunciation and spelling.

To keep this post slightly on topic, im quite sure it was a mardrömm (writeing in swedish now, caus its the better lenguage. Contains ö => better.)
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby inkBot » 19 Nov 2012 10:20

FLAOFEI wrote:Nah, im Swedish and that was a typeing error. Swedish word for nightmare is mardrömm,

One too many m's in "mardröm".

FLAOFEI wrote:so its basicly mare-dream with different pronunciation and spelling.

As a direct translation, yes. However, the "mar" in mardröm is derived from "mara", an older word used to describe feelings of anxiety or uneasiness (often during night time, hence the connection). It's also associated with one creature, or more, of mythology.

The swedish word for mare is "sto" or "märr" and is not related to "mardröm". Not even the english word nightmare is directly associated with equines, since the english word "mare" is the english variant of "mara". It wasn't originally used to describe horses.

It's quite easy to draw wrong conclusions to how and why words are used, when only looking at contemporary use of them.
inkBot

Postby ph00tbag » 19 Nov 2012 19:15

itroitnyah wrote:

German word for nightmare is also not nichtmare. Strictly speaking modern Germans say, "Angsttraum" (Feardream). That said, a more direct translation of nightmare would be "Nachtmahr," although you'd sound about as German as someone shouting "forsooth!" when they stubbed their toe would to English speakers.

Incidentally, the German word for nag (an aging mare) is "Mähre." Given this, you could possibly make the "Nightmare" pun from the original English in the German version, but it wouldn't really make a very imposing impression. Old horses aren't very scary. They're really just sad.

Granted, Luna is very old.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio

Postby itroitnyah » 20 Nov 2012 13:32

ph00tbag wrote:German word for nightmare is also not nichtmare. Strictly speaking modern Germans say, "Angsttraum" (Feardream). That said, a more direct translation of nightmare would be "Nachtmahr," although you'd sound about as German as someone shouting "forsooth!" when they stubbed their toe would to English speakers.
I am well aware that nachtmare isn't the word for nightmare in German. I was just joking about germish, which is the same thing as spanglish. Just a mixture of english and german. People who are fluent in one but not the other will sometimes say something in german while they're talking in english.
itroitnyah

Postby SpyPie » 20 Nov 2012 17:23

This got Derailed quickly...
Long Live the glory of the swarm and it's queen.
~
My Soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/mootaboot
SpyPie

Postby itroitnyah » 20 Nov 2012 18:30

SpyPie wrote:This got Derailed quickly...
Right... *ahem*

So, how about them orange frogs?
itroitnyah

PreviousNext

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic