What do you consider "pony" music?

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Re: What do you consider "pony" music?

Postby sellyme » 06 Nov 2012 18:02

itroitnyah wrote:
Kyoga wrote:
itroitnyah wrote:Have you tried just having one single person who doesn't review the music, and just sends the rejection emails?

^

I believe we have a volunteer
Thanks but no thanks, I don't have the time to sent a good 20 emails a day AND make music. And I'd actually prefer to make music than send a lot of emails for most of it :P there wouldn't be a whole lot of time for me to make music >.> But I'm sure that there will be some volunteers

I'd be happy to do that. I pretty much do the same thing already, so it'd kill two birds with one stone (and let me find unknown brony musicians easier, for that matter).
sellyme

Postby Raddons » 06 Nov 2012 18:17

Nine Volt wrote:Your face makes me laugh :lol:
BAM, WHAT NOW PUNK?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

:cry:
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Nine Volt » 06 Nov 2012 18:23

Im sowwy cloud I didn't mean it cna we still be friesndzorz?
Nine Volt

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 06 Nov 2012 18:28

Nine Volt wrote:Im sowwy cloud I didn't mean it cna we still be friesndzorz?

ChromaticChaosPony

Postby Nine Volt » 06 Nov 2012 18:29

lolz
inb4 thread lock
Nine Volt

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 06 Nov 2012 18:31

I personally think the thread already served it's purpose. We came to a concencus that random pony samples doesn't make a song pony. It needs to be relevant. And all that other stuff.

The music review didn't need to be brought up, and the whole thread pretty much fell apart from there. We don't need this thread anymore. It did it's job. Enough said.
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby Nine Volt » 06 Nov 2012 18:33

TEMPORARY SPAM THREAD MODE GO!
HATSUNE MASUDA! HADOUKEN!!!!!
Nine Volt

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 06 Nov 2012 18:35

I would spam, but mods already gave me warnings.

Which reminds me: Lavender or someone, lock this thread whenevr you get the chance. We don't need it anymore.
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 06 Nov 2012 18:37

That being said...

ChromaticChaosPony

Postby Nine Volt » 06 Nov 2012 18:37

Message Lav or Stars or someone.
Nine Volt

Postby DijiTwitch » 06 Nov 2012 19:08

Alright, let's do this.

Y = being a spotlight post
X = music of the day post
N = rejected/send to the moon

if you really don't know what to do with it you vote

A = abstain

~
1. N or X, the relation isn't very strong. It feels like a 'hey this is pony music' plug in the description, but the music itself is definitely enjoyable. Hard to contest the inspiration. I don't know the artist very well myself so it's difficult to tell if he was truly inspired while making this tune.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs8oVW-tBWM&feature=plcp
2. Y or X. I'm biased, however. I spoke to Seventh while he was making this tune and it was for sure inspired by MLP and Silent Hill. It could fit very well in either fandom, especially considering the following Silent Ponyville has here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1bhQNRNwQ0
3. N. The production is.. loud. Brosteppy. More bias. But seriously, there isn't even a blurb in the description about how it relates to Trixie. The closest we get is one sample before the drop. It's good, but it doesn't seem like the artist isn't really even trying to convince anyone it's pony related, just saying it is. Seriously?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wlxO73sikk
4. X. The soundscape definitely feels like night, at least my interpretation of it. It feels fitting to the title, and the music itself is fun and interesting. Unfortunately, no vocals or samples, so gtfo the spotlight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFq9zJqaBHA
5. N. The music itself has energy to it, I like it, but it says in the description it's just filler work. Practice music. Pony practice music? No indication that it's inspired by ponies, except the robotic voice saying 'Gummy' at one point. A cool touch, but nothing more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA07vdB2D3s
6. X. Nicholas Dominique's been doing the pony thing for a while now, and never fails to impress. His tracks are chill and this one is no exception. It's part of an upcoming album about the mane6 and even SOUNDS like Twilight. What more do you need? Some pony right here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1CQWaedJrY
7. A. I'm not a fan of the soundscape. The synths are a bit dry, that might be reason enough to moon it right there. There is a blurb about how it relates to ponies, but it feels more like a video-game soundtrack than something atmospheric or a mood setter. I'm really not sure how to feel about this one..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqi_jkOSs-w
8. X. It's toastbeard, the sounds paint an effective picture in your head. Simple and pleasant, much like its namesake. Nothing mind-blowingly awesome but it's cool AND pony!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMAi2gblGzM

Please note the above is my opinion. It's probably mostly wrong.
DijiTwitch

Postby BlackElectric » 06 Nov 2012 21:35

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs8oVW-tBWM&feature=plcp
N. It doesn't seem pony related at all aside from the picture. The EP linked isn't pony at all so I'll assume it was just a pony picture slapped onto the song.

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1bhQNRNwQ0
N. The description says that it is a Silent Hill inspired song, and the only thing relating it to MLP is the picture.

3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wlxO73sikk
N. All the name says is "Trixie". It has a Trixie sample but it doesn't give a description as to how the song is related to MLP at all. The song also has a lot of clipping.

4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFq9zJqaBHA
Y. The name and the picture suggest that it's pony inspired. The description says that it was made for a friend, and in the description of the art that is linked the artist said "here is the official song for this that my friend Blake made", so that tells us that the song was based on the picture which I think makes it pony enough to be featured. The song is also very enjoyable to listen to. It's very well done.

5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA07vdB2D3s
N. "wut if gummy waz drop." doesn't really help you see the connection that this song has to MLP.

6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1CQWaedJrY
X. He says the song is part of an upcoming EP that contains themes for all of the main 6 characters. The description isn't very strong, but it's enough for me to see where the inspiration came from. The song is also well produced and enjoyable.

7. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqi_jkOSs-w
N. I saw that this was part of a toastbeard compo so judging by the toastbeard theme I can see the inspiration for pony, but like the others said, the synths are pretty dry and the song is kinda one dimensional. I think it's pony enough for a feature, but it's not produced well enough.

8. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMAi2gblGzM
X. This song is for the same toastbeard as the last one, so I can see how it is pony inspired. The piece is well done in my opinion. It's not something I would come back to listen listen to over and over, but that's because I'm not a big listener of orchestral stuff. I'm sure people who go on EqD would be very fond of this song though.
BlackElectric

Primary: Pro Tools 10
Cutie Mark: Mixing

Postby itroitnyah » 07 Nov 2012 08:28

sellyme wrote:
itroitnyah wrote:Thanks but no thanks, I don't have the time to sent a good 20 emails a day AND make music. And I'd actually prefer to make music than send a lot of emails for most of it :P there wouldn't be a whole lot of time for me to make music >.> But I'm sure that there will be some volunteers

I'd be happy to do that. I pretty much do the same thing already, so it'd kill two birds with one stone (and let me find unknown brony musicians easier, for that matter).
Bam, right there. Volunteer. Now, let's review:

Use logic, youtube/soundcloud description, wallpaper, and mood of song all combined to determine how pony a song is if it doesn't have pony samples/vocals.

Don't specify whether or not it's an instrumental or a song that includes pony samples/vocals. That'll leave the audience with the option of listen or do not instead of skip.

Have a single person who's job is mostly to send copy pasta rejection letters stating simply that they did not making it, with "be sure to check out mylittleremix.com if you need help!" at the bottom.

And, umm.... That's about it. if there's something else that I left out I'll add it in
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby sellyme » 07 Nov 2012 09:02

itroitnyah wrote:
sellyme wrote:
itroitnyah wrote:Thanks but no thanks, I don't have the time to sent a good 20 emails a day AND make music. And I'd actually prefer to make music than send a lot of emails for most of it :P there wouldn't be a whole lot of time for me to make music >.> But I'm sure that there will be some volunteers

Bam, right there. Volunteer. Now, let's review:

Use logic, youtube/soundcloud description, wallpaper, and mood of song all combined to determine how pony a song is if it doesn't have pony samples/vocals.

Don't specify whether or not it's an instrumental or a song that includes pony samples/vocals. That'll leave the audience with the option of listen or do not instead of skip.

Have a single person who's job is mostly to send copy pasta rejection letters stating simply that they did not making it, with "be sure to check out mylittleremix.com if you need help!" at the bottom.

And, umm.... That's about it. if there's something else that I left out I'll add it in

That sounds reasonable to me. Seth, thoughts?
sellyme

Postby Freewave » 07 Nov 2012 09:22

^^^ Agreed. Some good ideas above.

Yes I think a basic templated rejection letter is sufficient. If there is a specific no-no or something missing then it's important the musician be aware and make an improvement. A complete lack of a response is just too frustrating and unhelpful i think. Same thing when a person places music in our music section. A response is important and beneficial.

ChromaticChaosPony wrote:Which reminds me: Lavender or someone, lock this thread whenevr you get the chance. We don't need it anymore.

And why is that? This is as much an opportunity to get EQD to respond and to adjust policy for our benefit and for fairness as it is for them to get an idea on what we think. Why must EVERY EQD thread on MLR end with somebody losing their temper and people asking for a thread lock? This is why we can't have nice things...Move past the disruption. A thread shouldn't cater to one person's opinions it's a chance for everyone's input. It's also a chance to see what EQD can fix about the current situation in their policy and musicians can fix with how they present their work.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Sethisto2 » 07 Nov 2012 10:59

Yeah, no need to lock it. People's reviews are definitely interesting. One person flipping out isn't really grounds for anything other than ignoring one person's demands.

That does sort of give a good idea of what a rejection letter would mean for eqd. Back when I did respond to every rejected piece of content, I'd get 30 responses back flipping out/comparing to other things on the blog/ saying eqd is the cancer killing everything.

Full on rejection with music of the day isn't too common, and the ones that are rejected usually take it pretty hard. (And have pony creator oc's on their music for whatever reason)
Sethisto2

Postby ghelded_kultz » 07 Nov 2012 11:37

As a minor pony troll musician (one that has been rejected plenty of time, even from music of the day) I really value the rejection letters and feel much worse when I don't get any response than when I get rejected. These letters serve many purposes and I think the most important is so that we don't have to wait a couple of days to see if we made it into the Music of the Day or not. That wait hurts a lot more than a simple (or complex) letter of rejection.

Of course I am not your typical pony artist (I do it for the art and for fun, not for recognition. Hell, when we send in songs we kind of expect them to be rejected. Ghelded Kultz is proud of making bad music on the principle of at least we are making a different sort of bad music.) and I can see many of the people getting rejected taking it pretty hard. My advice to them is that they need to suck it up. Not everyone is a good musician (though there always is punk. Bronydom needs more punk.) and sometimes people need to learn that while they can make and share as much music they want, if they aren't good then nobody will care, usually (It's pretty zen once you get past caring about acceptance and just have fun).

My advice to EqD is that a volunteer writes rejection letters (from a template if they wish). I would if I weren't so busy with school, applications and my pseudo-reviews. That and if it weren't for the fact that writing myself rejection letters would be really weird. One thing I do ask is that if the letters contain advice/reasons for being rejected (which would be very nice), that the reasons are accurate. I once sent in a piece that did not deserve to be on EqD but I was told that it was too short , despite being 3 and a half minutes long, which is a fairly average length and longer than quite a few songs featured that day. The other half of the rejection (it was too noisy) made much more sense and is more helpful in that it was accurate.

On the genres, I currently find them unhelpful, especially vocal vs instrumental vs remix (the worst of them all). The genres are often missing or incorrect and really throw me off as a music reviewer and a genre nut. But the genres (not vocal/instrumental/remix) are important because when I or any other person, only has time to listen to a few songs, we need an idea of which ones to choose according to our taste, so they can't be removed entirely.
On a final note: We need a greater variety of music featured on EqD. But that isn't a problem that can be solved with major changes to the structure of the fandom itself.
"Wherever we are, what we hear is mostly noise. When we ignore it, it disturbs us. When we listen to it, we find it fascinating." - John Cage

Trolls and makers of bad music, thats us!
http://soundcloud.com/ghelded-kultz/tracks
ghelded_kultz

Postby itroitnyah » 07 Nov 2012 11:45

Sethisto2 wrote:Yeah, no need to lock it. People's reviews are definitely interesting. One person flipping out isn't really grounds for anything other than ignoring one person's demands.

That does sort of give a good idea of what a rejection letter would mean for eqd. Back when I did respond to every rejected piece of content, I'd get 30 responses back flipping out/comparing to other things on the blog/ saying eqd is the cancer killing everything.

Full on rejection with music of the day isn't too common, and the ones that are rejected usually take it pretty hard. (And have pony creator oc's on their music for whatever reason)
Well the person who sends the rejection letters doesn't have to respond or read the replies to the rejection. If somebody is going to take a rejection horribly, then so be it. They aren't going to get featured because they complained about it... So you could also include something about that in the rejection letter? Here:

Rejection Letter wrote:"Sorry, but your piece [x] didn't make it to Equestria Daily due to [not pony enough/other pieces submitted that were better than/other copy pasta reason]. We hope to see your next piece here!

Feel free to check out [url]mylittleremix.com[/url] if you need/want any help.

Please do not reply to this letter, as we will not make exceptions, and will not read or reply to any replies you make. Thank you."

Or something along these lines. There will still be people who try and reply to the copy pasta anyways, but the email used doesn't have to be the rejection letter-sender's main email, it can just be a new email, like [email protected] or something.

Which, speaking of emails, I'm paranoid that when I submit my stuff to [email protected] that I'm submitting it to the wrong place, lol. Furthers the use of a rejection email to show that it was received. Might want to think about getting a seperate email for music submissions, but that's just me
itroitnyah

Postby Freewave » 07 Nov 2012 13:12

Yeah i would expect that the rejection letters work as a noreply account like itroitnyah alluded to. Don't respond to freak outs, you don't have the time or the reason to and if the initial rejection letter has some sort of feedback then they REALLY know why. If there is a legitimate concern in how EQD handled something that can be done through your normal submission email and should be handled there if a mistake was made.

We were hearing that album spotlights were being queued monthly (the spotlight post at the end of the month) and that you were considering that albums needed to be 8 tracks or more. Is this the current policy or is that still debated? Obviously something like that would have left out ep's like JackleApp's Seasons and NACP's - Luna ep but then again I'd expect that you guys should have the ability to adapt and make exceptions when the content is that good. It would be nice to know the policies though so people aren't rejected from album submissions based on # of tracks, whether they need to be new tracks or a compilation, or anything along those lines....
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Sethisto2 » 07 Nov 2012 13:57

Which, speaking of emails, I'm paranoid that when I submit my stuff to [email protected] that I'm submitting it to the wrong place, lol. Furthers the use of a rejection email to show that it was received. Might want to think about getting a seperate email for music submissions, but that's just me

Well, we are .com, so you are sending it to the wrong one :p
Sethisto2

Postby itroitnyah » 07 Nov 2012 14:05

Sethisto2 wrote:

Well, we are .com, so you are sending it to the wrong one :p
haha xD I was at school when I sent it, and my school netbook blocks EqD, and I wasn't quite sure what it was since I keep the email in my address book on my email.
itroitnyah

Postby sellyme » 07 Nov 2012 14:36

I think one of the issues people have with rejection errors is that they're generally copy-paste and pretty harsh. I've done similar things in the past for other sites, and it's just a matter of wording it nicely. I disagree with itroitnyah and Freewave about replies to the rejections being ignored: most musicians are rational people who do want to get better, and if you ignore them, that just compounds the issue. Replies just need to be tactful and calming. Having a third party (i.e., someone not directly involved in the music review process) would definitely make this a lot easier, too, as it would remove any direct involvement; "Don't shoot the messenger" applying.
sellyme

Postby Navron » 07 Nov 2012 15:50

That's why it's good to have a few saved templates available. Saves time, and it allows a person to see where they might improve their future work.

An example:

- Thank you for your submission to Equestria Daily. Unfortunately, your submission, "Song Name" has been declined due to mixing quality. If you have any questions regarding this submission, please ask for feedback at http://www.mylittleremix.com.

*Note: This is an automated account. Please do not reply to this letter as your response will not be received.*

Simple, straight, to the point, and can be manipulated to respond to declined submissions for a multitude of reasons.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby itroitnyah » 07 Nov 2012 15:57

Navron wrote:- Thank you for your submission to Equestria Daily. Unfortunately, your submission, "Song Name" has been declined due to mixing quality. If you have any questions regarding this submission, please ask for feedback at http://www.mylittleremix.com.
YES, all of my yes. Of course, this would just be one of the two templates, and the second one would have to follow the same suite except with "it was not pony enough" for the reason if the mixing is already really good.

We might want a third template too because if 15 submissions are all really good, EqD can't really feature 15 songs, so they would have to have one that says something about the song being really close to being featured but not quite making the cut. And then congratulate them and appraise the work, whatnot. To soften the blow.
itroitnyah

Postby sellyme » 07 Nov 2012 16:34

I really really don't think a basic cut 'n' paste is the way to go. If I remember correctly the music judging process is done via a Skype group; perhaps sending a few snippets from that would be beneficial? "It's not mixed well enough" isn't really helpful to a musician.
sellyme

PreviousNext

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic