What do you consider "pony" music?

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Re: What do you consider "pony" music?

Postby itroitnyah » 10 Nov 2012 18:48

Well, Seth should at least get a volunteer or two to send rejection letters each day D: that's perhaps the most important part of this thread, imho. The rejection letter just has to say that the person didn't make it and link them to here for further help, literally. I think that if we had a small group of people writing up rejection letters with reasons and problems with the track, it would be very inefficient. Because, that would take a lot of time for the prelisteners to list even some of the things wrong with a track, and then another amount of time for the people in charge of sending the letters to write up the letter and send it. Like, we're talking get home from school at 4:00 and begin writing up letters, and by the 6:00 you'd be done, unless the prelisteners choose to write up the letters and the rejection-ers just copy paste, but then that'd be really time consuming for the prelisteners. Just linking the subject of the letter to here should be plenty fine, unless the person chooses not to come here, in which case it would be the persons own fault if he doesn't improve. It isn't Equestria Daily's job to help people improve, since, as we've stated before, EqD is mainly for promotion in terms of music. Helping beginners or novices improve is both the novice himself's job, and our job on MLR (by critiquing his/her music).
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
User avatar
itroitnyah
 
Posts: 2482
Joined: 02 Mar 2012 20:27
Location: Wisconsin
OS: Windows 7
Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: What do you consider "pony" music?

Postby Carbon Dust » 10 Nov 2012 21:45

I know it seems mean, but I think EqD needs to get rid of instrumental music, and music that has hardly any pony samples in it. People can still make these if they want, but it shouldn't be featured. Music which just has pony samples forced in for the sake of pony is easy to tell apart from music based around pony samples and should also be disallowed.

This way we can reduce the amount of music that gets through without having to do too much quality control.
Soundcloud
Youtube
Tumblr
This is not my website, but I wish it was: http://www.carbondust.com/
User avatar
Carbon Dust
 
Posts: 46
Joined: 19 Jul 2012 22:05

Re: What do you consider "pony" music?

Postby the4thImpulse » 10 Nov 2012 21:59

Carbon Dust wrote:I know it seems mean, but I think EqD needs to get rid of instrumental music, and music that has hardly any pony samples in it. People can still make these if they want, but it shouldn't be featured.


And what is your reasoning for this suggestion? You can't just make a point without explaining where your coming from in this kind of thread.
User avatar
the4thImpulse
 
Posts: 1578
Joined: 22 Feb 2012 17:10
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: What do you consider "pony" music?

Postby Carbon Dust » 10 Nov 2012 22:04

the4thImpulse wrote:
Carbon Dust wrote:I know it seems mean, but I think EqD needs to get rid of instrumental music, and music that has hardly any pony samples in it. People can still make these if they want, but it shouldn't be featured.


And what is your reasoning for this suggestion? You can't just make a point without explaining where your coming from in this kind of thread.


Sorry, I was trying to be as concise as possible because of too much wordiness in this thread, but I guess I was TOO concise.

The reason for thinking this is that if all music should be definitely pony-sounding to be posted on a pony fan blog. Even if that means that some perfectly good pony-inspired stuff gets left out. Instrumental is still fine for toastbeard and stuff, but it isn't what people going on EqD want to hear.
Soundcloud
Youtube
Tumblr
This is not my website, but I wish it was: http://www.carbondust.com/
User avatar
Carbon Dust
 
Posts: 46
Joined: 19 Jul 2012 22:05

Re: What do you consider "pony" music?

Postby Freewave » 10 Nov 2012 22:35

itroitnyah wrote:Well, Seth should at least get a volunteer or two to send rejection letters each day D: that's perhaps the most important part of this thread, imho. The rejection letter just has to say that the person didn't make it and link them to here for further help, literally. I think that if we had a small group of people writing up rejection letters with reasons and problems with the track, it would be very inefficient. Because, that would take a lot of time for the prelisteners to list even some of the things wrong with a track, and then another amount of time for the people in charge of sending the letters to write up the letter and send it. Like, we're talking get home from school at 4:00 and begin writing up letters, and by the 6:00 you'd be done, unless the prelisteners choose to write up the letters and the rejection-ers just copy paste, but then that'd be really time consuming for the prelisteners. Just linking the subject of the letter to here should be plenty fine, unless the person chooses not to come here, in which case it would be the persons own fault if he doesn't improve. It isn't Equestria Daily's job to help people improve, since, as we've stated before, EqD is mainly for promotion in terms of music. Helping beginners or novices improve is both the novice himself's job, and our job on MLR (by critiquing his/her music).


The explanation has to brief and copied from one of a few existing templates. Again copying 10 or so rejection letter a day based on what is written by pre-listeners in the skype sync listens can be a quick process. Not 2 hrs. Likely 15-20 minutes and should be done by a non pre-listener. If they need volunteers all Seth has to do is ask and he will get them. The pre-listening to 20-30 songs a day IS the extensive part, not the email writing.

Carbon Dust wrote:I know it seems mean, but I think EqD needs to get rid of instrumental music, and music that has hardly any pony samples in it. People can still make these if they want, but it shouldn't be featured.

Sorry, I was trying to be as concise as possible because of too much wordiness in this thread, but I guess I was TOO concise.

The reason for thinking this is that if all music should be definitely pony-sounding to be posted on a pony fan blog. Even if that means that some perfectly good pony-inspired stuff gets left out. Instrumental is still fine for toastbeard and stuff, but it isn't what people going on EqD want to hear.


Plenty of people make and support brony instrumental music. There is absolutely no reason for a ban on instrumental if a person can adequately link their vision of the song and its link to the show via an instrumental. If they can't link that influence well (not pony enough) then it shouldn't be featured. Likewise if people make lazy sampling its just as bad and shouldn't be featured. the listener's know their jobs and many of them ARE instrumental musicians. Do you really want to argue that instrumental brony music shouldn't be on EQD on MAKKON's site (with NACP as one of it's founders, and Stars in Autumn as one of the mods). Instrumental music has been here from the start and is a massive chunk of the music and the musicians. If you don't want to hear instrumental music on EQD don't click on a video embed for instrumentals. Those genre tags are there for a reason. :o
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Image
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
User avatar
Freewave
 
Posts: 3192
Joined: 29 Nov 2011 12:33
Location: Denver
OS: Windows 7
Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Re: What do you consider "pony" music?

Postby Carbon Dust » 10 Nov 2012 22:54

Freewave wrote:Do you really want to argue that instrumental brony music shouldn't be on EQD on MAKKON's site (with NACP as one of it's founders, and Stars in Autumn as one of the mods).


Oh, right, sorry awesome instrumental musicians! (please don't hate me). I guess banning all instrumental is a bit extreme, as there is a lot of good stuff out there, it just feels like there is too much of it on a website that isn't a music website. So, maybe higher quality control for instrumentals?

Sethisto did say though:

Sethisto2 wrote:Back when music review began, if it didn't have pony samples throughout the piece, it would be axed. This was between a majority big name vocal/remix musician group that pretty much agreed completely on it.


Which is where my anti-instrumental opinion came from, if the first pony musicians didn't like it, then they're probably right, as they pretty much created the idea of pony music in the first place.
Soundcloud
Youtube
Tumblr
This is not my website, but I wish it was: http://www.carbondust.com/
User avatar
Carbon Dust
 
Posts: 46
Joined: 19 Jul 2012 22:05

Re: What do you consider "pony" music?

Postby Sonarch » 10 Nov 2012 23:50

Did I not write my idea convincingly enough?
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
User avatar
Sonarch
 
Posts: 1007
Joined: 15 Jun 2012 11:12
Location: Maine
OS: Windows (Big circular ones)
Primary: FL Studio

Re: What do you consider "pony" music?

Postby itroitnyah » 11 Nov 2012 09:12

Sonarch wrote:Did I not write my idea convincingly enough?
Which one? There are a ton of ideas being expressed on this thread in general, and some people like me, freewave, you, navron, etc, have expressed the majority of the ideas. The only problem, is that many of the ideas are being repeatedly argued over, even after a solution is made! So chances are, the idea that you're talking about with your comment, has already been assessed or chatted about, and the people who are coming here and reading see no need to chat about it again.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
User avatar
itroitnyah
 
Posts: 2482
Joined: 02 Mar 2012 20:27
Location: Wisconsin
OS: Windows 7
Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: What do you consider "pony" music?

Postby Sonarch » 11 Nov 2012 09:39

itroitnyah wrote:even after a solution is made!


So we came to a decision on rejection emails?
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
User avatar
Sonarch
 
Posts: 1007
Joined: 15 Jun 2012 11:12
Location: Maine
OS: Windows (Big circular ones)
Primary: FL Studio

Re: What do you consider "pony" music?

Postby itroitnyah » 11 Nov 2012 10:10

Sonarch wrote:
itroitnyah wrote:even after a solution is made!


So we came to a decision on rejection emails?
Yes, I'm pretty sure about that. Now we're just arguing about what's going to be inside the emails. I'm saying that they just need to saying "sorry, you didn't make it. Check out mylittleremix.com for help" or something simple along those lines. Others are arguing that they should include what the prelisteners found wrong with the song.

Now it's just up to Seth to decide whether to implement the rejection letters or not.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
User avatar
itroitnyah
 
Posts: 2482
Joined: 02 Mar 2012 20:27
Location: Wisconsin
OS: Windows 7
Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: What do you consider "pony" music?

Postby Sonarch » 11 Nov 2012 12:03

Ah. I was thinking it would be good to include a simple reason, such as mixing or lack of pony, but simply referring them to MLR would probably be the best way to do it. If the prelisteners found something wrong with it, anyone on here could probably find the same flaws, which would eliminate the need for copypasting with various templates and such. There would be one generic message referring them to MLR, which would make everything way easier logistically. Though I still want to recite my thought that it should be a small group of people who aren't prelisteners that send the messages out, so the prelisteners can simply send them the songs that didn't make it.
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
User avatar
Sonarch
 
Posts: 1007
Joined: 15 Jun 2012 11:12
Location: Maine
OS: Windows (Big circular ones)
Primary: FL Studio

Re: What do you consider "pony" music?

Postby Matthew N. » 11 Nov 2012 12:27

Sonarch wrote:Ah. I was thinking it would be good to include a simple reason, such as mixing or lack of pony, but simply referring them to MLR would probably be the best way to do it.



No it would not. MLR has been pretty much dead in providing feedback of any sort. Almost nobody cares about helping out artists with their WIPs. EqD simply needs to write exactly why the song was rejected. If they have enough time to write down their judgements on each track, then there will be volunteers to compile that and make artists know why it didn't get in. It's not that difficult of a task. Rewards? Countless.
User avatar
Matthew N.
 
Posts: 875
Joined: 08 May 2012 10:45
Location: Poland

Re: What do you consider "pony" music?

Postby Sonarch » 11 Nov 2012 12:39

Is it really that bad? I haven't been on the threads where people put their songs since i'm usually no help with criticism.
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
User avatar
Sonarch
 
Posts: 1007
Joined: 15 Jun 2012 11:12
Location: Maine
OS: Windows (Big circular ones)
Primary: FL Studio

Re: What do you consider "pony" music?

Postby Matthew N. » 11 Nov 2012 12:44

Sonarch wrote:Is it really that bad? I haven't been on the threads where people put their songs since i'm usually no help with criticism.


Yes it is, and unfortunately it has been like that for quite some time. This is exactly why EqD has to step up and help us all out.
User avatar
Matthew N.
 
Posts: 875
Joined: 08 May 2012 10:45
Location: Poland

Re: What do you consider "pony" music?

Postby Flinckie » 11 Nov 2012 13:29

Matthew N. wrote:No it would not. MLR has been pretty much dead in providing feedback of any sort. Almost nobody cares about helping out artists with their WIPs. EqD simply needs to write exactly why the song was rejected. If they have enough time to write down their judgements on each track, then there will be volunteers to compile that and make artists know why it didn't get in. It's not that difficult of a task. Rewards? Countless.

Even if getting direct feedback on MLR is pretty tough, there are still many things on this forum that will help any musician immensely with improving. The 'getting started with music' thread is probably the best example of this.

Anyone who wants direct feedback should waltz his ass straight over to Toastbeard.
Skype: Flinckie
Add me if you want to chat.

My genre of choice is orchestral, but I experiment a lot.

My Youtube
My Soundcloud
My EQBeats
User avatar
Flinckie
 
Posts: 131
Joined: 27 Apr 2012 07:51
Location: Iceland
OS: Windows 8
Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Horsestrings

Re: What do you consider "pony" music?

Postby Sonarch » 11 Nov 2012 13:59

We could have a specific thread for people who get rejected by EqD, if anyone would be willing to help people who are directed to it...
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
User avatar
Sonarch
 
Posts: 1007
Joined: 15 Jun 2012 11:12
Location: Maine
OS: Windows (Big circular ones)
Primary: FL Studio

Re: What do you consider "pony" music?

Postby Carbon Dust » 11 Nov 2012 14:31

I think that discussing rejection emails is getting off topic, this thread is actually about what music constitutes pony music, not what to do with rejections.
Soundcloud
Youtube
Tumblr
This is not my website, but I wish it was: http://www.carbondust.com/
User avatar
Carbon Dust
 
Posts: 46
Joined: 19 Jul 2012 22:05

Re: What do you consider "pony" music?

Postby Sonarch » 11 Nov 2012 14:41

I thought we exhausted that topic in the first 2 pages or so, and now it's become a sort of suggestions for EqD topic....
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
User avatar
Sonarch
 
Posts: 1007
Joined: 15 Jun 2012 11:12
Location: Maine
OS: Windows (Big circular ones)
Primary: FL Studio

Re: What do you consider "pony" music?

Postby Carbon Dust » 11 Nov 2012 14:44

If you think the topic is exhausted, stop posting.
Soundcloud
Youtube
Tumblr
This is not my website, but I wish it was: http://www.carbondust.com/
User avatar
Carbon Dust
 
Posts: 46
Joined: 19 Jul 2012 22:05

Re: What do you consider "pony" music?

Postby Sonarch » 11 Nov 2012 14:56

I mean to say that it appears to have evolved. It was at this point by the time I got to it.
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
User avatar
Sonarch
 
Posts: 1007
Joined: 15 Jun 2012 11:12
Location: Maine
OS: Windows (Big circular ones)
Primary: FL Studio

Re: What do you consider "pony" music?

Postby Freewave » 11 Nov 2012 17:03

^ Agreed. Really its up to Seth whether they can do the email rejection letters how we are recommending or if that's not the direction they want to go. We've suggested how it COULD be done so people could be better informed and get less frustrated. It's up to him if and how he wants to implement things that would be helpful to the community. Probably shouldn't be a load more posting or planning until we see a response. ;)
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Image
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
User avatar
Freewave
 
Posts: 3192
Joined: 29 Nov 2011 12:33
Location: Denver
OS: Windows 7
Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Re: What do you consider "pony" music?

Postby Raddons » 11 Nov 2012 17:05

Poor Seth.
Raddons
 
Posts: 685
Joined: 13 Jun 2012 20:57
OS: Horse OS
Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: What do you consider "pony" music?

Postby itroitnyah » 11 Nov 2012 18:14

Cloud wrote:Poor Seth.
Almost exactly what I was thinking, lol. But I almost never been in a thread where the thread stayed on topic for the entire thing, mostly they veer off topic and discuss something that is slightly relevant or not at all relevant.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
User avatar
itroitnyah
 
Posts: 2482
Joined: 02 Mar 2012 20:27
Location: Wisconsin
OS: Windows 7
Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Previous

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest