Genres you'd LOVE to see some Brony music made in

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Genres you'd LOVE to see some Brony music made in

Postby Freewave » 02 Nov 2012 10:24

There's that Trap thread that's gone on for several pages, a new event for old school dubstep, and there's stuff like Kyoga's Dark Ambient and Silva's French House which have gathered a decent audience for a rather niche genre. But realistically i can think of all kinds of genres (large and small, old and new) which haven't really been attempted much at all in the community. From Shoegaze, Chillwave, Big Beat, Purple Sound, Disco, Minimal, Industrial, Electroclash....there's whole genres that have been pretty much untouched by the community over our last 2 years. What have you been wishing to see and haven't? Is anyone interested in making music in particular genres but they need more information or examples? It's great to see that brony music overall is so diverse but like i said there's some definite gaps and it would be nice to just chat about it.
Last edited by Freewave on 02 Nov 2012 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Re: Genres you'd LOVE to see some Brony music made in

Postby Beetie Swelle » 02 Nov 2012 10:36

I would love to see more third wave ska. Or pretty much anything with more brass.

e.g.

I like to think I'm well-rounded because I'm not really good at anything.

Steam | Youtube | Soundcloud (Random WIPs and stuff) EQBeats (Stuff that's actually finished)
Beetie Swelle

Postby CommandSpry » 02 Nov 2012 11:00

reggae
Hey. Listen. I don't Care anymore. You hear me you Son of a Bitch? I'm old now. I have all the resources.
Hey. Listen. I don't Care anymore. You hear me you Son of a Bitch? I'm old now. I have all the resources.

hello I'm spry wobbler lol I'm
CommandSpry

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: wobbler

Postby FLAOFEI » 02 Nov 2012 11:23

TheBronyChip wrote:renard style gabber cant find any :/

This

Allso this
http://soundcloud.com/futracks/baradise-lust
We need more party hard Futret style clusterfuts!

But the fact is this is the same guy who gave us "Jackle app shits an egg at bronycon and its pretty fuckin lame!" so I cant realy complain to much on that front. Still want more of it.

On a related note, I have tried Futrets style of music, but im gonna need alot of practice and way more samples than I have right now to reach the same level as Futret.
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby Stu Beef » 02 Nov 2012 12:07

Off of the top of my head

Impressionist, Romantic Opera (you know what, Romantic in general), Minimalist, Populist, Avant-Garde Jazz, Funk, Soul, chant/early polyphony, skilled MCs, Thrash metal, black metal, folk metal (or folk in general), (harder) punk, mo town, eastern/asian, (MORE) prog rock, serial (12 tone), microtonal, surrealist, absurdist, real instruments, and more wacky styles that I've never even heard of would be cool.

I realize there are reasons why you wouldn't hear much if any of these things, but it would make my day.

e. if anyone's done any of the more out there ones, please tell me now; I would die if someone somehow wrote a 3-voice motet about a pony.
Stu Beef

Postby Nine Volt » 02 Nov 2012 13:25

Last edited by Nine Volt on 25 Jan 2014 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
Nine Volt

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 02 Nov 2012 13:53

Uk hardcore. That's all I ask.
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Postby Freewave » 02 Nov 2012 13:54

Nine Volt wrote:Gabber, darkstep (neurofunk), liquid dnb (I know it's out there), drum and bass in general

Also is there a name for the subgenre of dubstep that's smooth, melodic, and beautiful straight down to the wubs? I would guess liquid dubstep but Going Quantum tells me otherwise...

I think there's quite a lot of liquid and (more solid) drum & bass and gabber (more commonly called Hardstyle tbh) in the brony community. Check BMD's genre section for quite a lot of people doign those.
Freewave

Postby Freewave » 02 Nov 2012 14:00

XXDarkShadow79XX wrote:Uk hardcore. That's all I ask.

There's a few tracks on the Equestrian Hype label which may work for you. I did a Hardcore remix of CommandSpry's Trixie track specifically in that style. Brony Mirage works in that style but is on soudcloud and not youtube.
Freewave

Postby MRPPony » 02 Nov 2012 14:17

I try making some uk hardcore, but because the songs are usually 80bpm~110ishbpm, moving it up to 170~180 would sound weird, well to others. You could reverse it, but then it'll sound 'too slow'.

Personally with me, I'd like to hear some mix genres. Like orchestral and hard rock, or opera singing with trance, and of course those 'vs.' tracks are simply to die for like Fretman vs. S3RL - Just Fcuk. I'm still a beginner at guitar, but I know there must be some rockers and orchestral writers here on MLR.
I am Magical Rainbow Pegasus Pony and this is my music. Lets not fuck about. X3
My Youtube
My Soundcloud
My EQBeats
MRPPony

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Blank flank ftw

Postby prettiestPony » 02 Nov 2012 15:19

Klezmer! Polka! Balinese gamelan!

... I don't really want to hear those, I just think it'd be fun if the brony community had some of that.
prettiestPony

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 02 Nov 2012 17:41

mau5step

Like this:

I know mau5step isn't actually a genre, but I love his style and plan to try making my dubstep sound more like it. I would like to see some dubstep that doesn't focus on a rediculously heavy drop for a change. In fact, I think it would be cool to have some dubstep tracks without drops for the sake of experimentation.

I also know deadmau5 makes progressive house. I just like his experiments with dubstep better (sometimes).

Also, I don't think brostep is sexy enough. Needs moar sexy!
ChromaticChaosPony

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby colortwelve » 02 Nov 2012 17:52

I'd like to see more electroswing, progressive rock/metal, and good IDM (meaning not the kind of music that newbies make, but BoC-caliber stuff).
Youtube -- Soundcloud -- Tumblr -- Bandcamp (new album out!)

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 02 Nov 2012 18:27

Does the brony community have any technical death metal? Like Viraemia, Necrophagist, Obscura, Beneath the Massacre, Cattle Decapitation, Cerebral Bore, or anything of the sort.

For those of you who don't know what technical death metal sounds like:

Now you know.
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby CDPP » 02 Nov 2012 19:16

prettiestPony wrote:Balinese gamelan!

Jokes aside, gamelan instruments are insanely great for downtempo.
CDPP

Postby K3WRO » 02 Nov 2012 20:15

Your lucky, I'm all in this one, all in

CommandSpry wrote:reggae

This, Sooooo this

TheBronyChip wrote:renard style gabber cant find any :/

I wish I can do gabber like that D:

I really want to hear some jazzstep, Ever since That touhou Jazz arrange on NND, and Tomosuke's songs in DDR, and one of Derpycrash's songs, I seem to be addicted to 175 bpm smooth jazz accompanied by fast breaks and jungle basslines

edit : Brony Shimauta, make this happen,

Also, Shibuya-kei J-pop, NAO
Soundcloud : http://www.soundcloud.com/megapie-1
Youtube : http://www.youtube.com/user/antigravtoast2/featured

-I'm not Dead, I just don't make small horse music anymore-
K3WRO

Primary: Reason
Cutie Mark: Your Face

Postby Raddons » 02 Nov 2012 23:24

ChromaticChaosPony wrote:Necrophagist, Obscura,

ily
Raddons

Postby Ed Viper » 03 Nov 2012 00:23

I'd definitely like to see more metal represented. Not necessarily stuff like Breaking Bonds, but some real heavy metal, bro.

Like, Cannibal Corpse and shit.

Also industrial metal. Like Mindless Self Indulgence type stuff.

Also jungle. I already feel like there isn't enough of that in existence at all, but I'd love to hear some pony jungle.
Soundcloud
Tumblr

If you ever need someone to talk to -

That's all I got right now.
Ed Viper

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Charlie Sheen

Postby Motivfs » 03 Nov 2012 03:57

Neurofunk, AKA Samplestep.

Motivfs

Postby LFP » 03 Nov 2012 04:36

Motivfs|RefleXion wrote:Neurofunk, AKA Samplestep.

Been experimenting with neurofunk a lot recently (gotta love resampling in Harmor <3) and its great fun!

I'd like to see some more modern style complextro.
I'd also like to see more instruments used, not just piano and guitar but others like flutes and violas trumpets etc, would be awesome with a trumpet solo or an emotional flute verse and so on :3
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby Anforium » 03 Nov 2012 08:11

ChromaticChaosPony wrote:Does the brony community have any technical death metal? Like Viraemia, Necrophagist, Obscura, Beneath the Massacre, Cattle Decapitation, Cerebral Bore, or anything of the sort.

For those of you who don't know what technical death metal sounds like:

Now you know.

And Nile!
Youtube
Bandcamp
Twitter

Software: I'm original, so i use Sunvox. I used to use LMMS, but the crashing drove me insane.
Anforium

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 03 Nov 2012 09:43

Ed Viper wrote:I'd definitely like to see more metal represented. Not necessarily stuff like Breaking Bonds, but some real heavy metal, bro.

Like, Cannibal Corpse and shit.

Yes. I haven't seen anything truly heavy yet in the community. Dethonator was as close as we got, and he deleted all of his good songs and started being a bit of a douche.

I would try to do technical or progressive death metal (I'm a guitarist), but I can't find a drummer or a bassist. The only ones I've seen aren't into that kind of metal.
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby Pickslide1992 » 03 Nov 2012 09:54

All I see that's extremely popular is techno stuff of many a genre, from house to dubstep. Really, what we need is more metal, rock (No matter which subgenres), and I'm with Kyoga on the guitar duel thing. I'm all for it, but my soloing skills are lacking. xD

Anyway, punk is underrepresented as well. It's one of the easiest forms of music out there in my experience, so you'd think there'd be a lot of it. Maybe there's something I'm missing?

And Chaos, I'm with you all the way too. I still keep in touch with Deth, but only every once in a while. Also, I'd join you on the bass front, but I don't have a bass. ^_^
Hey guys, new YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/PowerChordEPS

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Styles: Rock, metal, pop, new wave
Pickslide1992

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 03 Nov 2012 10:26

Pickslide1992 wrote:All I see that's extremely popular is techno stuff of many a genre, from house to dubstep. Really, what we need is more metal, rock (No matter which subgenres), and I'm with Kyoga on the guitar duel thing. I'm all for it, but my soloing skills are lacking. xD

Anyway, punk is underrepresented as well. It's one of the easiest forms of music out there in my experience, so you'd think there'd be a lot of it. Maybe there's something I'm missing?

And Chaos, I'm with you all the way too. I still keep in touch with Deth, but only every once in a while. Also, I'd join you on the bass front, but I don't have a bass. ^_^

I think metalcore and heavy metal get represented just fine in the community by people like Cyril, Bronyfied, and PrinceWhateverer. What we lack is mostly death metal and progressive metal (and variation of them).

I can't solo worth a damn on guitar. I'm just good at rhythm guitar and werid shit on the 8 string guitar.

Punk also seems to be missing. I probably should have mentioned that.

One thing I would lie to clarify: I DO NOT think there should be less dubstep or house. There just needs to be more metal, rock, punk, jazz, etc. Even if I find a group of metal bronies to start a band with, I'm still going to produce dubstep and house music.
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby Freewave » 03 Nov 2012 10:26

Pickslide1992 wrote:All I see that's extremely popular is techno stuff of many a genre, from house to dubstep. Really, what we need is more metal, rock (No matter which subgenres), and I'm with Kyoga on the guitar duel thing. I'm all for it, but my soloing skills are lacking. xD

I'd call that EDM (electronic dance music) over Techno which really is its own genre (and completely ignored in brony music tbh.

You are absolutely right that Punk is woefully represented. The fact that most of us make music outside of a live environment and as solo artists (vs a band structure) is rather telling on how we as a whole make our music and how that limits what we get. Punk is really as live and raw and we don't see too much of that.
Freewave

Next

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic