Genres you'd LOVE to see some Brony music made in

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Re: Genres you'd LOVE to see some Brony music made in

Postby Sonarch » 25 Nov 2012 00:02

I guess that makes sense. All my thoughts keep coming back to is this scene in this movie called Children of Men, it's like this dystopian future thing where all the women are infertile for some reason so the youngest guy in the world is like 19 and there's cool technology and stuff, but when this guy is on the run from some police or something, they go into this guy's house and he turns on this music comprised only of like, screaming and explosions and stuff. It sounded like a complete mess of sounds, and it was very unpleasant. I'm just thinking some guy is going to take dubstep too far and popular music will turn into that.
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Primary: FL Studio

Postby Nine Volt » 25 Nov 2012 00:09

I also really want to see more stuff like 'What It Does To The Skull' or 'D'' or 'Violent City' by General Mumble. They're great songs, great style
Nine Volt

Postby Sonarch » 25 Nov 2012 00:34

Man, Mumble makes the weirdest music. I love it.
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby Pewter Robot » 25 Nov 2012 16:31

Sonarch wrote:Man, Mumble makes the weirdest music. I love it.

I thought Passenger of Shit makes the weirdest music.
Is it bad that I thought Mumble seemed pretty normal?
I always enjoy doing something until I have to.
Good thing I'm supposed to be doing stuff other than music.

Listen to this:
https://soundcloud.com/pewter-robot/dont-listen-to-this-unless-1

Follow me on Twitter.
Pewter Robot

Postby NegaNote » 25 Nov 2012 20:32

We need more rave in this community! :D
DAW: FL Studio
VSTs: ALL OF THEM :D
Sample packs: VEC3, Xfer pack, various breakbeat samples
Soundcloud: http://www.soundcloud.com/neganote

Latest track: http://soundcloud.com/neganote/fallen
NegaNote

Postby VINXIS » 25 Nov 2012 22:16

What kind of music would I love to see?
Heavy orchestral
House/Electro/Electro house
Drumstep
Speed-hop
Hip-hop
glitch hop
experimental rap rock.
VINXIS

Primary: Ableton 9 live (like 99% of the time)
Cutie Mark: pls

Postby Sonarch » 25 Nov 2012 22:46

I have yet to hear pony music in a genre that I disliked. I mean, there are definitely some examples of songs that I just didn't enjoy, but I haven't been able to say "all the pony music i've heard in X genre i've disliked"
so make music in all the genres. Please.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 26 Nov 2012 16:37

NegaNote wrote:We need more rave in this community! :D

What do you mean? Can you give an example? I don't think "rave" is a genre.

I refer to my previous statement about partying until the world breaks.

XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Postby Q-Dert » 28 Nov 2012 11:07

I think by Rave he just means hardcore dance in general.
Q-Dert

Postby TheMalenEst » 28 Nov 2012 14:30

More ambient music like this its so beautiful. Hammock is awesome when it comes to ambient.

My Soundcloud for my Wip's and Previews, but also full songs.
My YouTube Come by and listen to my music :3 Maybe you find something you like.
Deviantart Abstract Art

shingeki no kyojin is best anime/manga
TheMalenEst

Primary: FL Studio 10, Logic
Cutie Mark: AnjunaLogo

Postby Freewave » 28 Nov 2012 15:01

Yeah rave isnt really a genre but uk hardcore is something only a few people are doing. Would be nice to hear some more retro flavor as many people are NOT backtracking when making music, just doing stuff thats been done more recently. There's a LOAD of older styles that could be channeled by people if they wanted to and likely appear "NEW" because they haven't been done before. .
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby NightmareSnake » 28 Nov 2012 19:39

Classic 70s metal in the vein of Black Sabbath or Deep Purple

also nu-metal
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4025 <---- PAY ATTENTION TO THIS!

Vocalist. Will collab with anyone. Does singing, screams, and raps. Also dabbles in FL Studio. Writes lyrics. Self-advertising whore.

NightmareSnake

Postby Warbalist » 29 Nov 2012 06:02

Kyoga wrote:
I would love to see people taking advantage of the low-pressure atmosphere of the brony community to build a new genre of music or a new ideology of sound.
I kinda wish people would try things that were moderately unfamiliar with them instead of trying things that they hear every day and do every day.

:D take a step into the unknown and you'll step out dripping with experience. And maybe some good loot.

This is great and exactly what I try to do; challenge myself in nearly every style. Maybe one day I'll go back to attempting a new sound, but I'm still having fun broadening my horizons first with the valleys of known genres, before growing more mountains...if that metaphor makes any sense at all.

Like: I didn't realize growing up with country music around all the time would allow me to play country-ish guitar solos, but the song I'm about to release has one. Makes me want to do more industrial country dance metal. :D

I'm really happy this discussion took the path it did. The last time I started a topic, it was about the Gameloft game and it turned into an Android/Windows vs. Apple flame war. :P
Warbalist

Postby Freewave » 29 Nov 2012 10:01

Kyoga wrote:
NightmareSnake wrote:Classic 70s metal in the vein of Black Sabbath or Deep Purple

I wanna make Blue Oyster Cult (Colt? :D) someday.

Amen with that. Nice rename there too. :D I think we did enough BOC tributes with Cowbell Party (well at least that ONE song)

Warbalist wrote: This is great and exactly what I try to do; challenge myself in nearly every style. Maybe one day I'll go back to attempting a new sound, but I'm still having fun broadening my horizons first with the valleys of known genres, before growing more mountains...if that metaphor makes any sense at all.

I'm really happy this discussion took the path it did.

Agreed. I think while i agree its easier to follow an artist with a dedicated "style" i think its more fun AS an artist to try different things and explore genres so that you don't get bored and so your audience doesn't know what to expect next. To me THAT is a style too as long as there are some threads of commonality.

I am really glad this thread took off as it did as I think we all appreciate variety in what we see from each other and from the community. One thing i kind of noticed recently is we don't have a forum for non-pony MUSIC which could really bring about a whole lot more additional discussions on music itself out side of the scope that we normally see it. Imagine a thread on Aphex Twin or John Cage or a discussion on Shoegaze and I think you'd likely see some interesting brony music created sometime after as the end result. That really could be beneficial to all of us as brony music is just a sliver of what music IS and we shouldnt only listen to it exclusively. If you want to grow as a musician or as a music lover you have to see the bigger picture and appreciate musical diversity.
Freewave

Postby Makkon » 30 Nov 2012 02:01

I don't particularly see the need for a subforum for non-pony music, the music section and technique section make no distinction between the two. Because there really isn't. What brony music is more than anything is community. It's not a style or a genre; it's a movement.

Otherwise the only real distinction I can think of for brony music is the use of pony samples, or remixes of the show or of memes, or music based on a theme from the show.

What I would like to see from 'brony' musicians is the common practice to be themselves and not tied to the obligation to make 'pony music' for any reason other than they just want to. The stigma that you will only get attention if it's pony music is outdated, and you don't want that demographic anyway. If you need help, validation, or feedback, that's why this forum exists.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Nine Volt » 30 Nov 2012 03:09

Kyoga wrote:Good point...
It would be nice to see more outreach instead of just cramming ponies into a song for the sakes of popularity.

^This^

I myself can't seem to find a genre or small group of genres to focus on, so my music tends to be of many genres, which is kind of nice and kind of sucks
Nine Volt

Postby Freewave » 30 Nov 2012 10:39

Well i guess my point is not to push MLR into a brony music vs non-brony music debate (it IS music after all) as to find a better subforum to ENCOURAGE discussion on EXISTING music in the broader world. Right now there is confusion on where to put such conversations.

The Music Section is for people who are trying to get feedback on THEIR tracks

The Technique section is about techniques of MAKING music and is generally geared toward that scope. How to emulate artists occasionally and specific techniques, tutorials, and guidance.

The Community section is for non-music open discussions ("Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff! "). No mention of music.

There's been a few recent threads regarding individual bands, artists, and soundtracks. These were created in the community thread but that seems intended not to be part of wider music discussions and in need of a subforum that doesn't exist yet.

So I'm asking is there interest in a new music sub-forum FOR discussions about music apart from technique (learning how to emulate that artist or genre) as the Community forum should likely remain non-musical in scope. I think talking about particular musicians or genres outside of technique, particular albums they'd like to talk about, and wider music discussions (genres/themes) would be beneficial in illuminating people to music OUTSIDE of brony music and gear people towards greater music appreciation. Seeing the wider scope of music would really benefit people that haven't explored outside the bronyverse yet as well as fining a home for threads that don't currently fit anywhere nicely. That or finding a way to include such discussions in an existing subforum by altering the description to include general music discussion (although i'm not sure these discussions really fit well in the 3 subforums that exist above).

Is this clearer? Thoughts?
Freewave

Postby Stars In Autumn » 30 Nov 2012 14:01

I agree with Freewave. Maybe just a forum like, "Non-pony Music". I can't remember if this was one of the forums we axed awhile back, but it makes sense to bring it back. Like if I wished to create a forum discussing my favorite soundtrack composers, or trance producers, there's no real place to put that except for maybe community.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby Nine Volt » 01 Dec 2012 00:53

Kyoga wrote:
Stars In Autumn wrote:I agree with Freewave. Maybe just a forum like, "Non-pony Music". I can't remember if this was one of the forums we axed awhile back, but it makes sense to bring it back. Like if I wished to create a forum discussing my favorite soundtrack composers, or trance producers, there's no real place to put that except for maybe community.

pardon my asking, but isn't the "nonpony" label available in the music forum for this particular reason?
Or are you referring to having a completely open forum that's completely dedicated to non-pony music?

I think he means having a forum specifically for discussing non-pony musicians and their works.
Nine Volt

Postby ghelded_kultz » 02 Dec 2012 03:34

Going back to the main topic, there are quite a few genres I would love to see more Brony music in. Please tell me if any of these genres are actually represented. So here it goes, in divided by super genre.

Rock

Electronic

Other

As far as unique sounds go the fandom needs more sludgestep (Sludgemetal combined with dubstep, not slightly slow and filthy dubstep. I tried making it once and failed miserably but maybe some who can actually make dubstep could do better) and reggae-death metal fusion (Actually the world needs more reggae-death metal fusions).
"Wherever we are, what we hear is mostly noise. When we ignore it, it disturbs us. When we listen to it, we find it fascinating." - John Cage

Trolls and makers of bad music, thats us!
http://soundcloud.com/ghelded-kultz/tracks
ghelded_kultz

Postby Nine Volt » 02 Dec 2012 03:37

We really don't need any type of noise music. Anywhere.
Nine Volt

Postby ghelded_kultz » 02 Dec 2012 03:49

Nine Volt wrote:We really don't need any type of noise music. Anywhere.

Completely untrue. There is never enough noise music. Not to mention that noise music is the background of life, it's just a matter of recognizing it (See my signature for Cage's wisdom on the topic).
"Wherever we are, what we hear is mostly noise. When we ignore it, it disturbs us. When we listen to it, we find it fascinating." - John Cage

ghelded_kultz

Postby Nine Volt » 02 Dec 2012 03:57

ghelded_kultz wrote:
Nine Volt wrote:We really don't need any type of noise music. Anywhere.

Completely untrue. There is never enough noise music. Not to mention that noise music is the background of life, it's just a matter of recognizing it (See my signature for Cage's wisdom on the topic).

*Noise. Noise is the background of life. You're correct, if it was suddenly absent it would be very weird, to say the least.

In my opinion (remember that it is OK if our opinions differ), noise music, on the other hand, is annoying and pointless.

But back on subject, I'd enjoy seeing some pony gangster rap *totallyseriousface*
Nine Volt

Postby ghelded_kultz » 02 Dec 2012 07:49

While I guess we will have to continue disagreeing about noise music, I can agree that there needs to be more pony gangster rap (Well I agree, if your being serious which I kind of doubt).

ghelded_kultz

Postby Freewave » 02 Dec 2012 11:50

unicorn vs pegasi rap war! GO!
Freewave

PreviousNext

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic