Season 2 Discussion - SPOILER WARNING

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Re: Season 2 Discussion - SPOILER WARNING

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 14 Jan 2012 10:05

Instead we got THAT PIG SONG!!!

YEAAAAAAAAH!!!
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby X-Trav » 14 Jan 2012 10:40

OINK OINK OINK

Also I frequently heard that mamba melody throughout the episode. WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THAT!?!

HOW COME TWILIGHT CANT FLY BUT THE BABY CAN?
Long time pianist and mediocrity extraordinaire.

Current Projects:
Manestream media
    EOE003
Call of The Crusaders
Album
X-Trav

Postby Aussie » 14 Jan 2012 11:36

WOW BEST EPISODE EVER

But no seriously, that was great. I don't think I've laughed so many times during an episode! And the fact that my favorite character finally gets the starring role where she isn't just used as comedy fodder makes it so much better!

Also, Rarity, you're doing a great job at being the element of gener-fuckin'-rosity. Keep it up.

:V
Aussie

Postby Senator Myth » 14 Jan 2012 11:56

What the fuck did I just watch

Didn't we already have a babysitting episode? I don't know if I mention this ever, but Stare Master is actually my favorite episode in the whole series for several reasons... So I went into this episode with that in mind.

And I guess... yeah, it was a good episode, but it's a great one for comparing the first and second seasons. In the first season we had an episode with perfect pacing, a three-act structure, and pretty damn high stakes--about as high as you can go in a Y-rated show. In Season 2, we have just a fairly funny episode in which the problem just sort of works its way out.

In the end, I suppose the episode worked fairly well, but like I said, Stare Master was REALLY great, and this one was just pretty good, much better than I was expecting. I was definitely approaching this with "may God have mercy on our souls" after hearing the concept, so they did a better job than I was expecting.

tl;dr this episode is a perfect example of how Season 1 did something fantastically and Season 2 did something just pretty good.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

Postby Ropony » 14 Jan 2012 12:01

Senator Myth wrote:What the fuck did I just watch

Didn't we already have a babysitting episode? I don't know if I mention this ever, but Stare Master is actually my favorite episode in the whole series for several reasons... So I went into this episode with that in mind.

And I guess... yeah, it was a good episode, but it's a great one for comparing the first and second seasons. In the first season we had an episode with perfect pacing, a three-act structure, and pretty damn high stakes--about as high as you can go in a Y-rated show. In Season 2, we have just a fairly funny episode in which the problem just sort of works its way out.

In the end, I suppose the episode worked fairly well, but like I said, Stare Master was REALLY great, and this one was just pretty good, much better than I was expecting. I was definitely approaching this with "may God have mercy on our souls" after hearing the concept, so they did a better job than I was expecting.

tl;dr this episode is a perfect example of how Season 1 did something fantastically and Season 2 did something just pretty good.

I think you're expectations are just too high, you should stop comparing every episode to something from season 1 and just enjoy the ride. :3
Ropony

Postby Senator Myth » 14 Jan 2012 12:10

RobochiVulture wrote:I think you're expectations are just too high, you should stop comparing every episode to something from season 1 and just enjoy the ride. :3

I'm afraid that's not how it works. First of all, I can compare every episode to something from Season 1 if I so choose, since Season 1 was what initially got me excited and invested in the show. Second, I don't compare every episode to something from Season 1. Like I said, it's because this episode has VERY similar qualities in terms of basic setup to one of the episodes from Season 1. Third, that episode happened to be my favorite in the series, so I don't see how I would just not think of it...

I'm pretty sure I said all that in my initial post, but yeah. I'm just the tiniest bit incensed when people tell me "Big deal, it's just a show, stop overanalyzing" especially when I'm /not/ overanalyzing. That's what happens when I look into all the details of the show and find inconsistences with canon or with how the real world works and try to explain it in a contrived way. I don't do this.

This is just examining how the episode was written, animated, and put together. Unfortunately I can't turn that part of my mind off, ever, but it was a pleasure to do so while watching Season 1, while examining how Season 2 episodes work usually leaves me feeling disappointed. Because yeah, the show IS a big deal, to me at least. It's incredible that something so superficially lame as My Little Pony could be so fantastic in reality, so to just say "eh forget about it" is to do a disservice to the awesomeness of the show.

That said, I'm hardly raging or anything. I said the episode was good, one of the better ones from Season 2. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT FROM ME THAT'S HIGH PRAISE?!
-Nietzsche
Senator Myth

Postby penguindf12 » 14 Jan 2012 15:42

You are my best friend Senator Myth <3

That aside, I can see both sides. Comparison & analysis, if it comes naturally to you, can pave the way to greatness as an artist -- recognizing weak points, clarifying what you find to be valuable, honing your craft & appreciation. As composers, I think this is important. But it's also important to step back and indeed enjoy yourself without analysis once in awhile, or it becomes stifling. Balance, balance.
penguindf12

Postby TheSunAndTheRainfall » 14 Jan 2012 16:24

Eeeyup, fun episode. Pinkie's songs were awesome, and she finally gets an episode where she acts like a (kind of) more believable character instead of just being that one pony who only gets cheap laughs out of people. The only thing I didn't like was that everything just sort of sorted itself out in the end. Pinkie cracks down, the babies feel bad for her, and decide to behave for her. Meeeeeh.

Also, Pound Cake flew more (and better) in this episode than Scootaloo in the entire series.
TheSunAndTheRainfall

Postby Evdog » 17 Jan 2012 22:45

What did everypony think of that creepy scene? Personally, I loved that they kept something like that in.
[YOUTUBE], [SOUNDCLOUD], [FACEBOOK], [EVDOGMUSIC.COM]
Multigenre singer, Multigenre songwriter, Multigenre producer & Multi-instrumentalist
Evdog

Primary: Presonus Studio One
Cutie Mark: (is a Diamond Dog)

Postby un1c0rn » 18 Jan 2012 06:46

Oh god, didn't even notice that as trainspotting reference. But now that you point it out it's so obviously the case.
un1c0rn

Postby Likonan » 21 Jan 2012 09:36

Well, Derpy finally spoke. :D

Serious episode, I'd say. Pretty much everyone can relate to the message. :)
Likonan

Primary: Mixcraft, FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Electronica?

Postby Interrobang Pie » 21 Jan 2012 10:06

Obligatory tumblr repost:

GODDAMN INCREDIBLE EPISODE OH MY GOD

Setting aside the obvious DERPY HOOVES TALKS which I covered already:

• APPLEJACK EPISODE FINALLY
  • CRYING BIG MAC OH MY GOSH
  • FLUTTERSHY BEING GOOD FLUTTERSHY FINALLY
  • PINKIE PIE BEING GOOD PINKIE PIE YESSSS
  • RAINBOW DASH BEING GOOD RAINBOW DASH FINALLY
  • HILARIOUS HILARIOUS ENDING + RARITY VERY GOOD
  • Tons more season 1 references like the Pinkie Pie Swear (although called a Pinkie Promise the movements were done so it’s fine)
  • New best episode. Sorry Secret of My Excess.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Pustulioooooo » 21 Jan 2012 10:13

I love Derpy's voice! She's so cute!

AND I ALSO WANT A CHERRY-CHANGA SOOOO BADLY!
Contact Info/other sites
Projects:
SSE OST
On Deck:
Rainbow Factory Remix 1%
*Spoilers* -
Ballad of the Moon Goddess -
On Hold:
Celestian March (Soviet March Remix) 50%
LOADSAMAGIC -
Poker Night at the Library -
Pustulioooooo

Postby bartekko » 21 Jan 2012 10:37

PinkiePieSwear needs a namechange.
Fluttershy can be fast when she wants.
Berry Punch and Carrot Top everywhere, and i SO approve of this. (the misspell of "I" was intended for bigger effect)

In other news, dishonest Applejack
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Senator Myth » 21 Jan 2012 10:38

This is everything I was missing about Season 1 and more. The first episode of Season 2 where I was smiling ear to ear almost the whole time. I'm close to tears of joy right now, just coming off of it. They haven't forgotten how to make their magic.

10/10
-Nietzsche
Senator Myth

Postby bartekko » 21 Jan 2012 10:42

Senator Myth wrote:10/10

10/10 would rape watch again, 10 times.

[spamtekko OFF]
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby X-Trav » 21 Jan 2012 10:48

Senator Myth wrote:This is everything I was missing about Season 1 and more. The first episode of Season 2 where I was smiling ear to ear almost the whole time. I'm close to tears of joy right now, just coming off of it. They haven't forgotten how to make their magic.

10/10

When this guy gives a 10/10 you know its good.

ALSO PINKIE JUST WENT UP MY BEST CHARACTER LIST FOR THE DEMENTED PINKIE PROMISE AVENGER AND THE "RARITY CATCH ME" SCENE, OH LAWDY!
Long time pianist and mediocrity extraordinaire.

Current Projects:
Manestream media
    EOE003
Call of The Crusaders
Album
X-Trav

Postby PinkieGuy » 21 Jan 2012 12:00

I sadly have to give this episode a 9.5 due to an issue i've taken with Pinkie throughout season 2. Although this was a return to form for her, through the second seasons every episode featuring pinkie has put a massive emphasis on her eating habits. There has not a single episode where this hasn't been made apparent. When you watch season one, yes, she definately has a sweet tooth but in season 2 it is more than 50% of what she talks about.

Luckily, Pinkie was much closer to her usual self in this episode and so the episode was still fantastic. Derpy being her canon name was awesome and her characterization wasn't too offensive, the CherryChanga song will be remixed promptly, and the theme of the episode was an important concept that was dealt with exceedingly well.

/End thoughts.
JackleApp wrote:THIS IS A HEINOUS ABUSE OF POWER BUT

YOUR MOD COMMANDS YOU
PinkieGuy

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby bigBerd » 21 Jan 2012 12:09

The Derpy scene made me nerdgasm twice. 'nuff said.
If you like my music, you should be checking out my:
Soundcloud - - - Bandcamp - - - EqBeats
Also my tumblr
MAY YOUR DAY BE FILLED WITH WILD 'N' WAXY WAHOOLAZUMA!
bigBerd

Postby Senator Myth » 21 Jan 2012 12:10

PinkieGuy wrote:I sadly have to give this episode a 9.5 due to an issue i've taken with Pinkie throughout season 2. Although this was a return to form for her, through the second seasons every episode featuring pinkie has put a massive emphasis on her eating habits. There has not a single episode where this hasn't been made apparent. When you watch season one, yes, she definately has a sweet tooth but in season 2 it is more than 50% of what she talks about.

Good thought, but for me it's more the emphasis on Pinkie as "stupid joke character" instead of "overwhelmingly happy character" like she was in Season 1. This episode sort of managed to bring that side back to her a little bit, one of the things I loved about it so much.

But you're right: on balance, Pinkie's lazy and sometimes obnoxious characterization is one of the trends about Season 2 I take most issue with.

In other news GREAT EPISODE
-Nietzsche
Senator Myth

Postby TheSunAndTheRainfall » 21 Jan 2012 13:44

I loved this episode. I can't really add more to that than what has already been said, so yeah. Except I thought the Derpy scene was a bit awkward, but I liked it anyway.
TheSunAndTheRainfall

Postby Likonan » 21 Jan 2012 13:57

Senator Myth wrote:
PinkieGuy wrote:I sadly have to give this episode a 9.5 due to an issue i've taken with Pinkie throughout season 2. Although this was a return to form for her, through the second seasons every episode featuring pinkie has put a massive emphasis on her eating habits. There has not a single episode where this hasn't been made apparent. When you watch season one, yes, she definately has a sweet tooth but in season 2 it is more than 50% of what she talks about.

Good thought, but for me it's more the emphasis on Pinkie as "stupid joke character" instead of "overwhelmingly happy character" like she was in Season 1. This episode sort of managed to bring that side back to her a little bit, one of the things I loved about it so much.

But you're right: on balance, Pinkie's lazy and sometimes obnoxious characterization is one of the trends about Season 2 I take most issue with.

You hit the nail most accurately. While Baby Cakes and this episode actually showed some of her better side, I still would like to see more representations of my favourite pony as "Miss Laughter", rather than "Madame Gourmet".
Likonan

Primary: Mixcraft, FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Electronica?

Postby Versilaryan » 21 Jan 2012 19:22

BRICK JOKES GALORE. I love how so many of the little gags came back and became plot points, however minor. THAT is good writing.
Versilaryan

Postby Stars In Autumn » 21 Jan 2012 23:37

I think this one might be my 2nd favorite from the season so far. Derpy's voice was good, but I'm so use to hearing PierceSmoulder's version that it threw me off. I think the "Raritycatchme!" "What? PINKIE!? AHHH" was the best part.

A good solid episode, much better than AJ's episode from season one, in my opinion.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby AutomaticJack » 27 Jan 2012 07:51

The Derpy scene was weird; knowing it's a fan named character and seeing that aspect flow back into the show... is strange to say the LEAST.
Pride can be wounded. Swagger is INVINCIBLE..
[The Factory] -- [The Showroom] -- [The Catalog]
DAW: FL Studio 11, Adobe Audition 1.5
Current Project: Too many to name!!! =P
AutomaticJack

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Master of all things Rhythmic

PreviousNext

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic