How'd You Become A Brony?

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

How'd You Become A Brony?

Postby Aussie » 01 Jul 2011 13:14

Bit surprised we haven't made this thread yet!

Anyway, how I got into MLP is probably a bit more interesting than others.
I seriously found out about it through....

Someone linked this on skype, and I laughed extremely hard at it. Then for some reason, instead of watching the episodes first, I started lurking the /co/ threads. After a day or two of that, I finally decided to watch the first episode, and an episode after that, and an episode after that...

I think in only a day, I was all the way up to Sonic Rainboom, which was the most recent episode at the time, and then I started watching all the new episodes on The Hub. And here I am now! :D

So how'd you get into MLP?

aeiou
Aussie

Re: How'd You Become A Brony?

Postby Icky » 01 Jul 2011 13:42

aeiou

Seen a lot of pony on chans and forums but never really knew what to think about it, untill I started watching it 2 months ago. I prefer your story
Icky

Postby [voodoopony] » 01 Jul 2011 13:53

Saw pics on 4chan and got curious. I forgot it was 2011 and the quality of the show took me by surprise.
Last edited by [voodoopony] on 22 Jul 2011 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
Warning: May cause rapid chest hair growth.
Youtube - Bandcamp
[voodoopony]

Postby markingdude » 01 Jul 2011 13:56

Last edited by markingdude on 07 Jun 2012 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
markingdude

Postby Overkillius » 01 Jul 2011 14:15

I already posted this on the introduction thread. but here goes.

One Day after opera workshop my friend gave me a ride home. Some how he mentions ponies.
Him: Have you seen my little pony?
Me: That little girls show from back in the day?
Him: No. They made a new series... I watched the pilot. It's pretty scary. 18-30 year old men watch this show RELIGIOUSLY.
Me: I was actually wondering what all these people on forums and such were doing with ponies for their profile pictures.
And then we went into some conversation about viola players *snicker* (no offense if you play the viola)
Obviously I went home and watched it skeptically at first. I was hooked by the third episode. Next week me and my friend were in the same situation. He was giving me a ride home.
Me: YOU CHANGED MY LIFE FOREVER!
Him: You ACTUALLY WATCHED IT?!
Me: YES!
Him: ME TOO!
Me: Can you pull a Dflat out of thin air?
We then proceeded to sing winter wrap up with harmonies and such.

And I'm glad I'm in my current state and hope things get even better from here on out.
Last edited by Overkillius on 01 Jul 2011 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius wrote:The bad thing about music... is that it is subjective.
The good thing about music... is that it is subjective!
Overkillius

Primary: Reaper, Famitracker
Cutie Mark: #9 Chords

Postby penguindf12 » 01 Jul 2011 14:17

My friend mentioned MLP:FiM on Facebook, so I googled the abbreviation to discover what it meant. It meant ponies. So I watched an episode, and there you go
penguindf12

Postby Senator Myth » 01 Jul 2011 15:50

I was browsing KnowYourMeme, for some reason. I was kinda sick, or maybe just lying to stay home (I'm really not missing high school). I'm always eager to find new awesome things, so I checked it out. I liked it, watched it, looked at the (then relatively small) online community. A few weeks later my brain was thoroughly marinated in pony, and has been ever since. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Not terribly exciting, I know. But we all had to start somewhere.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

Postby PinkiePieSwear » 01 Jul 2011 16:14

I couldn't help but notice the ridiculous amount of ponies popping up all over the internet and my first reaction was:

Buuuut after giving in to my curiosity as to how the heck these things could possibly be so popular, I decided to pick an episode at random and give it a shot. I picked the one I thought sounded the goofiest, I guess in attempt to hate it as much as possible: Sonic Rainboom.

I watched it with my Man Shields up to full power and was ready to hate it to death. After it was finished, I was quite surprised to say to myself, "Wow, that was actually really good. What the heck..." So I thought to myself that I might just consider watching one or two more. Somehow one or two more turned into fifteen, and my Man Shields don't even exist anymore. They're completely gone! I mean... my favorite part about our website header is that the dots are little hearts. WHAT HAPPENED TO ME?!
PinkiePieSwear

Postby Interrobang Pie » 01 Jul 2011 16:21

Saw it mentioned.
Thought "what the shitting fuck".
Saw it mentioned again.
Said "what the shitting fuck".
Saw it mentioned AGAIN.
Said "FINE."
Watched Sonic Rainboom.
Said "holy shit"
Alienated my audience on Youtube.
AND THAT'S HOW EQUESTRIA WAS MADE
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Makkon » 01 Jul 2011 16:52

This whole thread made me laugh, I love you guys XD

Here is my conversion story:
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthre ... light=pony

This is a game-art development website I go to frequently. The manliest site I know, it can honestly be a real sausage fest sometimes (ugh). So I find this thread, watch a few minutes and felt really awkward at what I was doing. I post my thoughts and move on.
Later I'm at a friend's house and we run out of things to do, so I say "want to watch something stupid?" We watched the first two episodes with our hands on our chins staring INTENTLY at the screen, making occasional comments like "wow, that walk cycle is really good" and "man, these facial expressions are great!"

And then I posted in that thread again after I watched 21 episodes with how I felt. I've been a real man ever since.

It's a rite of passage.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 01 Jul 2011 17:22

I heard about it in a thread on some forum first and it sounded pretty cool. Honestly, I never thought it was "gay" or anything since I like girly stuff and indeed crossdress and have gender identification issues. However, I only watched like half of the first episode before I just went and did something else and never went back to it.

A few weeks later, one of my friends at college started talking about the show extensively, being a new brony. Later that same week, I stumbled upon some Eurobeat Brony stuff thanks to a friend who was getting into eurobeat, and then I decided to give it another shot. Watched the first episode...second...third...and the rest. I went full brony while doing so.
Supersaw Hoover

Postby PinkiePieSwear » 01 Jul 2011 17:34

Glad you gave it a second chance Supersaw Hoover! I'm actually sort of glad I didn't start with the first episodes myself. Don't get me wrong, I love those episodes, but I have a feeling that because they were a little plot heavy I might not have been drawn in nearly as fast. After all, it wasn't the plot that drew me in, it was the surprising amount of humor that I genuinely found funny. Interest in the characters came shortly afterword. Honestly, I think Pinkie Pie is the main reason I got sucked in as hard as I did.

And about thinking it was "gay"... yeah I was a dude man guy back then. The kind of guy who thinks he is supposed to hate things that are pink because... well because they're pink! I am ashamed to admit it, but I had a bad case of gender roles before this show came along and completely freed me of that crap. Now I don't care if it's "girly". I enjoy something if it makes me feel good!

Seriously, this show, as well as this community, is probably going to make my future self a whole lot brighter than it would've been.
PinkiePieSwear

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 01 Jul 2011 18:48

My story is I saw the Mass Effect 2 Trailer/Pony mashup and posted it on my Facebook.
I then accidentally converted someone else with that video and they eventually made me a brony after I was wondering why one video could change so much!
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Stars In Autumn » 01 Jul 2011 21:46

A forum I frequent has these mega topics that usually hit their max post count quickly and a new one is made. Well, a FiM topic was made and would fill up within days, and was always on the first page. So I went in and a lot of the images and stuff made me laugh, so I checked it out. And now here I am.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby otherunicorn » 01 Jul 2011 21:53

I've been a long time collector of MLP. It started after I became interested in real life miniature ponies. I found a few MLP over the road at a garage sale and bought them.
I was in "passive mode" i.e. most or my ponies were in a box, and I wasn't doing anything with them when I saw a link to Pinkie Pie and followed it. I'd already seen the G4 ponies in a shop and was more impressed with the art than the ponies. Finding out I had access to the art itself, in the form of the cartoons, was more than enough to get me hooked! I'd already got over the whole "it's a girls show" crap years ago, and was quite comfortable walking into a toy shop to buy ponies when I felt like it.
otherunicorn

Postby Whitetail » 01 Jul 2011 23:09

You know how most forums have that one guy who's weird and you should never trust links from them, not because they're virus infested or anything but simply because of the fact that they're always to something really odd that you just don't know how to react? Well I was in the mod lobby in chat with that guy and he had said something about watching ponies and posted a link to the first episode. Against my better judgement I clicked the link anyway, and thus found myself watching the first episode. Now I myself have always preferred cartoons to other medians on the TV because they always seemed the most entertaining, but here I just felt silly watching a show that I was assuming was designed for young girls, but I watched anyways. Got through the first episode fairly confused, but being a 2 part - if you watch one, you have to watch the other, no? So yeah, that's at least what I told myself as I watched the second one. Slightly confused as to the appeal of the show, the same guy said something about the first two not being as good as the others or something, so I figured I might as well watch the third if it's different then the others. Soon after the pony thread was started in the same forum as that chatroom and looking for a new avatar at the time, I was the first to switch my avatar over, convinced I was participating in a silly meme. And from there it's history of course.
Whitetail

Postby Pinkie Cake » 02 Jul 2011 09:14

Well I was just basicaly lurking some furry sites and all of the sudden ponies started apearing in them. At first I thought that it was some kind of new meme that artists are doing. I found a comment which had a ponibooru link. Clicky clicky and I'm amased by so much nice and cute pony pictures. Several hours of looking at pictures and I somehow managed to got to ponychan and then everything changed, so many good people, so much love, no trolling, no gore, no sex,no violence (yeah, I lurked/b/ a lot back in the days).
And only then I watched up to Sonic Rainboom (that was the most recent episode) and life became better. While I watched it I never thought that it's a little girl cartoon, it just didn't look like that. Plus I had even more motivation to watch it because of college studies, since we had an animation course I started watchig lots of cartoons lately.
Pinkie Cake

Postby ponyoxy » 02 Jul 2011 18:58

About 2 months ago, I was browsing KnowYourMeme and I saw mlp related pictures. I wondered why there were such pictures so, curious, I started watching the first episode, then the second, then the third and so on... When I finished watching "The best night ever" I though myself: "What? It's already finished? Aww now I'll have to wait until season 2."
Gentlecolts? It seems I am not the only brony here.
ponyoxy

Postby DavidReinold » 03 Jul 2011 17:32

Ever seen that "I, Brony" video? Yeah, it was a bit like that. It happened in third hour one day...(when reading this bear in mind that my third hour only had four students)

*Friend 1 walks in*
Teacher: Hey, ____, how was your weekend?
Friend 1: well, I started watching a new show-
Me: What show?
Friend 1 (in what I didn't realize at the time was a Flutterguy voice): ...I don't wanna talk about it.
Friend 2: Come on, what is it?
Friend 1: ...My Little Pony.
*At this moment, Friend 2 begins to chuckle silently, Friend 1's other friend frowns, and the teacher and I are completely silent. Take note at this point that Friend 1's other friend is extremely rude, tactless, and unrepenting. He also loves 4kids dubs, so what does that tell you. From this point on I will refer to him as 'Jerk'*
Jerk: I think My Little Pony is retarded.
Me: OKAY, ____ thinks it sucks, NOW I HAVE TO WATCH IT.

So that evening I downloaded ep. 1 and put it on my PSP. I then went to dinner at a Chinese buffet and loaded up on the best pork egg rolls ever, Singapore Noodles, Pad Thai, and pot stickers. Then I went home and I watched the first episode. Thinking to myself "wow...that was kind of good", I waited about five minutes, then started re-watching the first episode. It was two in the morning before I stopped re-watching it, and I think I reached a total of 8 plays through.

Yeah.
DavidReinold

Postby Versilaryan » 03 Jul 2011 22:25

One of my 4chan-lurking friends got into it way back when, and he linked me to it back around... December? January? I forget. But I ignored it. Fast forward to the last month of school, and I /really/ did not feel like doing my math homework. I'm sure you can make the connection. =D
Versilaryan

Postby StarfireMoon » 04 Jul 2011 05:13

lol my story is this...

One of my fav games is SC2, i seen this and was like "hmm.. interesting" and watched it, then that ended up leading into the first episode of mlp, then the whole season lol
Last edited by StarfireMoon on 06 Jul 2011 06:15, edited 1 time in total.
StarfireMoon

Postby RobotPony » 04 Jul 2011 23:36

Well, I can't say this is an interesting story, but I'll post it anyway. I occasionally check VG Cats, and some of you know that he posted about how good the show was, as well as a link to Equestria Daily. He also mentioned that some people who worked on the show worked on the Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. I thought he was trolling, but his last comment piqued my interest, so I looked up the Wikipedia article and saw he was right.

I didn't watch it then though, it was a couple of weeks later and I was pretty stressed with finals. So one night, I decided to weird out my room mates and watch an episode before I went to bed. I watched the first, then the second episode that night. I was pretty much hooked after that.
RobotPony

Postby AgileDash » 05 Jul 2011 22:22

Well I used to be an avid brawl player, and I spent most of my time there. After awhile I began to notice all kinds of my friends with Pony Avi's. My first reaction was Pretty much "how Gay can this site get?" Then since I was manly at the time, I had denied every offer they had attempted to get me to watch the show. After a short while Browsing the internet looking for new content, I hit a link that was posted in a chat and It happened to be the First episode Of MLP:FIM after staring a my laptop screen for 20 odd so minutes, I realized what I just watched was better then my expectations were. I only realized after a short while that Lauren Faust was the Creator of the show and I started watching the Rest one after another while stopping because I joined in pretty late in the series.

I've been a part of the community ever since. I honestly If i hadn't I probably never would have been so communicative as I am today. I lightened me up and I was able to talk to people, but yeah that's how it happened for me.
We all just want to live the "Simple Life"
AgileDash

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 06 Jul 2011 10:53

My story's kinda funny I think,
I was really into this girl who just happened to like MLP along with other stuff like Pokemon or w/e. So after failing several times to catch her interest, I thought I'd try and create some common ground between us by watching MLP, seeing as she talked about it a lot. I started from the first and could not stop watching it after that. Probably because Rainbow Dash was way awesome. I felt silly of course but it turns out 90% of my guys friends were bronies too! lol how about that? they got 20% cooler after that xP
~Our resident Bagpipe Playing, too-much-bling wearing, Smirnoff drinking, Coca Cola addicted, rockstar-wannabe, Glam Brony.
-Stuck in the 80's since 1989
Projects lined up:
-CMC Baroque techno remix
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby guitarskills » 06 Jul 2011 11:40

I became a brony when I saw Renard made a pony song.
At first...
*insert Lyra from the first page*
But then I remembered he has a girlfriend...
So I looked it up and saw that half of the internet was watching it, so I watched it myself.
Now I have a pony addiction.
guitarskills

Next

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic