The Brony Thank-You Project

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Re: The Brony Thank-You Project

Postby Matthew N. » 11 May 2012 05:02

I'd laugh so hard if the guy just took the money and ran off. Serves the stupid bronies well for even thinking this was a good idea.
Matthew N.

Postby Matthew N. » 11 May 2012 10:01

Kyoga wrote:
Matthew_N wrote:I'd laugh so hard if the guy just took the money and ran off. Serves the stupid bronies well for even thinking this was a good idea.

I have a feeling you're not going to fit in.

So having my own opinion about bunch of people spending money for a cause that will do more harm than good is already making me not fit in? Listen to yourself.

Anyone reasonable enough knows that any money put into an advert will never go to the people it was intended for, nor the few airings it will buy won't even reach a single person behind MLP.

Kyoga wrote:just because bronies donated money for something that opposes your opinion doesn't make them stupid. I think you should be a little bit more loving and tolerating of your fellow bronies.

I love people who think before they do something; this, however, looks like it has been given very little thought and is a rushed, unnecessary act.

It has been stated hundreds of times that the creators already recognize us (Derpy, Equestria Girls, Bronycons and similar that normally wouldn't be hosted for the "target" audience) - there is no need to remind them with an advert that we're there. Donating all this money to charity, though, would be a good idea.

Should I tolerate something that may as well completely destroy the idea of brony community? I guess it's up to me, isn't it? Do you tolerate everything and everyone? I honestly doubt it.

And as for my initial statement about running off with the money - wake up. We're living in a world of corruption and lies. This is not impossible to take place. As much as you would want it to work in MLP theme - it will never happen. Just saying.

Someone should really get to those people and tell them that it's not going to do them - and in turn all of us - any good. It needs to be done ASAP and by as many people as possible.

EDIT: Ok, maybe "laugh" was unnecessary. "I wouldn't be too surprised" would fit what I wanted to say in a better way.
EDIT2: Instead of picking on my words, please take some time to read through the lines of people commenting in this thread. You'd find very similar comments with a different set of words (e.g. "dumb.")
Matthew N.

Postby Matthew N. » 11 May 2012 11:36

Kyoga wrote:I've been following this thread from the start.
And taking my words out of context does nothing more than make you look even less tolerant.
calling bronies stupid for donating money towards something 1. they think is a good idea is not tolerant. at all.
As soon as you realize that, i'll consider your opinion valid. Until then Tschuss!
2. Love and tolerate or leave. 3. Bronies aren't haters, and 4. I don't come to MLR to deal with people who get off by calling others stupid and then incorrectly paraphrasing those who say otherwise.

1. They - a smaller portion of a huge community - think it's a good idea. I think it's a bad idea, and I will stand by it.

2. Wait a sec... I'm lost. Someone who claims he/she is all about love and tolerance is posting an ultimatum? Stop playing angry Princess Celestia and don't threaten me with a 1000-year long banishment.

3. Who said I'm a hater? I don't hate anyone - I just don't like the idea.

4. If you have a problem with me then I guess you should report me. This is a discussion board after all. As far as I know, forums are for people to express their opinions - whether you like them or not. The fact that you're assaulting me for what I said is also intolerant, you know.

I shall not post in this topic anymore. This thread reached its off-topic levels. Address me via PM if you want to inform me of my space camp.
Tschuss!
;)
Matthew N.

Postby Evine » 12 May 2012 15:51

This is horrible, horrible thread. Its heavily uninformed and I suggest everyone in this thread to do background research on the project.

Seriously. I only post when i have to.
Evine

Postby Ed Viper » 12 May 2012 16:39

Evine wrote:This is horrible, horrible thread. Its heavily uninformed and I suggest everyone in this thread to do background research on the project.

Seriously. I only post when i have to.

Yeah, I get your concern, and we are bashing it a lot, but I really still feel this is not a good idea.

I've read everything there is to read about it, and yeah, it's great that they're giving all further donations from this point to charity. Yeah, it's great that they're applying to be a federally recognized charitable entity, and are planning to continue work in charity.

However, I still don't like the idea of airing this commercial. I feel it's unnecessary and will probably cause at least unrest among parents.
Soundcloud
Tumblr

If you ever need someone to talk to -

That's all I got right now.
Ed Viper

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Charlie Sheen

Postby Navron » 12 May 2012 17:49

Let's look at this from the best case scenario, which would be:

1. A well thought out thank you video.
2. Not creepy/weird in any way.
3. Doesn't mention Derpy, or any past forms of canon/fanon issues.
4. Doesn't contrast too greatly with other commercials on the Hub.
5. Doesn't feature and/or do anything that could be used against us.

There's other parts of course, but I think those are some of the main points people are worried about.

So, assuming the project does all of the above, here's the issue:
People are people.

Regardless of how well thought out and/or planned this video is, parents/viewers/haters are still going to be normal people, and normal people (to different extents) are driven by stereotypes. Stereotypes that override any kind of logical thinking.

In other words, regardless of how well thought out this video is, there are going to be parents calling the Hub asking why creepy pedophiles are being featured.

The video quality might diminish the number calling in, but to act like a high quality ad could prevent 100% misjudgement, is simply naive.

In other words, even in the VERY BEST case scenario, there's very little to gain, and a lot of lose.

In the Navy we're taught operational risk management (ORM), which is a way we plan to minimize risk, and maximize work output. One of the principles of ORM, is to, "Accept risk only if the benefits outweigh the costs." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operationa ... management

Looking at the 4 principles of ORM, here's what I can gather about this project:
A. The benefits do NOT outweigh the costs, both financially, and perception.
B. In regards to (A), this project thus carries an unnecessary risk.
C. Risks have been anticipated and managed through planning, although the positives from this are null and void because they conflict with both (A) and (B).
D. Risk decisions are made at an unknown level. Who's making these decisions? What is their background? What are their feelings about the fandom?

If I were to transfer that risk assessment over to my job, the scenario could basically be summed up as letting a non-pilot fly the helicopter for fun, in which that small benefit is being weighed against the risk of crashing a helicopter and killing everybody on board (A), which is certainly an unnecessary risk (B), and was thought up by some random dude nobody knows (D).

If that were the case, would it even f***ing matter if we anticipated and planned for the risk? Does that automatically make it a good decision?

This project is no different.

High risk, low benefit, and being planned by unknown people with unknown goals.

Do not want.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Evine » 12 May 2012 20:24

The goal of the project is to show normal people what our love for my little pony: Friendship is magic is, what we spend our time on. And if they want to, follow a link which will give them an informed opinion.

NavyBrony wrote:High risk, low benefit, and being planned by unknown people with unknown goals.

Do not want.

Your lack of research is really showing in this post, this is no random guy running the project.

And i can comfortably say that
1. Its well thought out, multiple people on the board of judging/input.
2. no, not creepy
3. no, see the script
4. It will contrast other ads. And that's a good thing
5. The video ends up whit a link to a site (still undecided what to be)

And you are heavily undermining "best case scenario", which would be that it goes viral and blows up all over the media. And that is not to unlikely, the media jumps on ANY story with controversy, good or bad. And this show them we are serious people, rather than just geeks in our moms basements.

The ad itself is 30 seconds long. That is freaking long for TV ad, and it will be air 10 times during daily prime time and once at Fridays prime time when they have the most viewers.

You should help out making it better, ignoring it can only make it worse and it will still air. (And is also the reason i bother debating it)

http://bronythankyoufund.org/?q=node/2 <-- go there for more info on the video side, I still encourage more research.
Evine

Postby Trillionage » 12 May 2012 21:12

The way you are phrasing it makes it seem like its announcing a political party or a PAC. Let me put it a vaguely simplistic way how the ad will end up being known: Most people will hear of it from either late night comedy shows (Colbert, Letterman, O'Brien) or Primetime news (which aren't known for their tact and level headedness).

The message and idea of the project sound good, but an ad to show the world that we are grown men who like a show intended for children would not strike very well as a first impression to strangers. Let's put it another way: how many other shows have had fans make an aired ad to "thank" the creators of the show? The only thing that's close to that is political ads and those are still drastically different.

It seems the ad will run regardless of what happens and its too late to change it...the only thing i hope for is that when Colbert shows it he's just going to be cheeky about it.
Trillionage

Postby Navron » 12 May 2012 23:51

Evine wrote:The goal of the project is to show normal people what our love for my little pony: Friendship is magic is, what we spend our time on. And if they want to, follow a link which will give them an informed opinion.

NavyBrony wrote:High risk, low benefit, and being planned by unknown people with unknown goals.

Do not want.

Your lack of research is really showing in this post, this is no random guy running the project.

And i can comfortably say that
1. Its well thought out, multiple people on the board of judging/input.
2. no, not creepy
3. no, see the script
4. It will contrast other ads. And that's a good thing
5. The video ends up whit a link to a site (still undecided what to be)

And you are heavily undermining "best case scenario", which would be that it goes viral and blows up all over the media. And that is not to unlikely, the media jumps on ANY story with controversy, good or bad. And this show them we are serious people, rather than just geeks in our moms basements.

The ad itself is 30 seconds long. That is freaking long for TV ad, and it will be air 10 times during daily prime time and once at Fridays prime time when they have the most viewers.

You should help out making it better, ignoring it can only make it worse and it will still air. (And is also the reason i bother debating it)

http://bronythankyoufund.org/?q=node/2 <-- go there for more info on the video side, I still encourage more research.

First off, you need to understand this from a military mindset, vs a civilian's concept of a military mindset.

For example, in the link you provided:
"People in military service, professionals, first responders, business people, tradespeople, etc."
and
"We'd like at least one parent with an teenage child, and one service person."

Your "buddy" is asking for at least a service member to represent himself, and presumably, the military fans of the fandom. I'd of course hop on this, but there's one issue.

4.1.2. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty shall not:
4.1.2.6. Participate in any radio, television, or other program or group discussion as an advocate for or against a partisan political party, candidate, or cause.

E2.4. Nonpartisan Political Activity. Activity supporting or relating to candidates not representing, or issues not specifically identified with, national or State political parties and associated or ancillary organizations or clubs.

Reference: DoD Directive 1344.10

Regardless of which service a person may be in, it is against the above directive and thus punishable under the UCMJ for any service member to wear their uniform and or promote their service as part of a specific political view, club, organization, and/or clause.

In other words, a service member wearing a uniform and/or mentioning which service they are a part of in a TV ad, is directly representing the views and values of that service, and that activity is specifically prohibited and punishable under the UCMJ, unless such activity is approved on the grounds that the service member shall represent their service as a whole.

Related question: Do you think the armed forces would considering someone representing them in a brony thank you project to be a clause worthy of endorsing a member's own service?

There is also the whole issue with personal security, and thus the reason why I don't disclose my unit, permanent duty station, and (unless it's people I really trust) my full name.

Granted the project does seem to have very good organization and seems to understand some of the risks involved, but nonetheless (going back to ORM), the small benefits this project could bring are still outweighed by the negatives.

Lastly, I understand that the project is already past the point of no return. Doesn't mean I can't question why somebody thought it was a good idea in the first place, or that I can't question why the project's organizes think a service member such as myself is going to put their career on the line for a brony thank you ad.
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Postby the4thImpulse » 13 May 2012 02:32

NavyBrony wrote:
Evine wrote:
NavyBrony wrote:
High risk, low benefit, and being planned by unknown people with unknown goals.

Do not want.

Lots of text

Even more text

Granted the project does seem to have very good organization and seems to understand some of the risks involved, but nonetheless (going back to ORM), the small benefits this project could bring are still outweighed by the negatives.

NavyBrony is great at making these huge posts and I'm not, so I will highlight that one point he makes; the potential good does not outweigh the potential bad. I think this could go anyway so I won't predict which way it will go, but there is very little to gain by spending $14,000 just for a commericial to say "We exist" (I know theres more to it but be honest thats really all your saying here). I have told my parents that I'm a brony and they were a little weirded out at first but I guess it grew on them and they started to make fun of it in a friendly way. I can't envision parents of young children understanding frow men watching this show because they enjoy it.

One question I need to ask is why does this even matter? Why would we ever need a commericial of all things to tell people we like MLP?
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby inkBot » 13 May 2012 02:36

Evine wrote:And i can comfortably say that

That's the thing though Yes you can. But that is not a guarantee that other people will react comfortably to it.

Evine wrote:And you are heavily undermining "best case scenario", which would be that it goes viral and blows up all over the media.

I think NavyBrony has a more realistic view of what he'd consider a best case scenario.

The video going viral and everybody loving it is yes a best case scenario too, but an unrealistic one.

Evine wrote:And that is not to unlikely,

Kinda. Yeah there's the possibility of it going viral, though slim. But, there's also the possibility of it going viral for the wrong reasons. Instead of "Look at us upstanding bronies" it could easily become "look at them creepy bronies". I'm sorry to sound a bit pessimistic, but it's the truth.

Evine wrote:You should help out making it better, ignoring it can only make it worse and it will still air. (And is also the reason i bother debating it)

This is a farily good point. I will not argue with it.
inkBot

Postby the4thImpulse » 13 May 2012 03:30

inkBot wrote:
Evine wrote:You should help out making it better, ignoring it can only make it worse and it will still air. (And is also the reason i bother debating it)

This is a farily good point. I will not argue with it.

That is a good point but from what I gather in the thread the large majority of us are saying this is entirely not a good idea. I don't see anyway of making it any better then it is already is, its all well written and thought out but the idea (a commercial) is not good to begin with. A going back to the OP this thread is all about our own thoughts on the topic, not a constructive discussion that we would bring to the creators so they can make it better.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby ChromaMonster » 13 May 2012 04:20

Make it better? I know this isn't the place to send in suggestions, but I just feel like pointing out some glaring stuff. The first line for example.

"Hi, we're bronies. We're fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic"

That is just creepy in its own rights. IMHO we should completely remove mention of bronies at all, instead pushing the simple message that FiM is a show for all ages. A commercial we can be proud of.
http://soundcloud.com/chromamosnter/shadow-of-a-flower-chromas

First song, desperately seeking critique.
ChromaMonster

Postby Flinckie » 13 May 2012 05:32

No. No. No. NO!

This is exactly the kind of thing that can fuel a fire of hatred. From parents, from the Internet, and even from other bronies (this is already happening.)

Worst-case scenario; enough parents get upset and the show will be cancelled. Compare this with the best-case scenario. Is it still worth it? Hell no!
Add me if you want to chat.

My genre of choice is orchestral, but I experiment a lot.

My Youtube
My Soundcloud
My EQBeats
Flinckie

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Horsestrings

Postby Evine » 13 May 2012 09:04

jturner wrote:I'm not doing it to improve the image of the bronies. I'm doing it for a six year old child (I'm going to pick girl for argument's sake.) I'm doing it for the thirteen-year old version of her, seven years from now. I'm doing it for the day one of her "cool" friends points at her Rainbow Dash decal and tells her that My Little Pony is a kids show, and she should grow up. On that day, I want her to remember a marine who told her that he liked My Little Pony, a school teacher who was holding a Twilight Sparkle plushie, and I want her to tell her friend where she can go stick it (in a nice, polite friendly way, of course.)

And yes NavyBrony i do now realize the legal issues it might have. But is it to much to ask for permission. The rule seems to general.

I please ask of all of you not brush off this project since it might be creepy. please help it instead.

http://bronies.lefora.com/ <-- Forum for discussion on the ad.
Evine

Postby Navron » 13 May 2012 10:21

I'm pretty sure there will be many entries from service members, because the directive is rather vague and most people are only taught what they can/can't do in uniform while in boot camp, which for me, was 6 years ago.

The goal of the project seems to be doing thorough background checks on each applicant to ensure there can be nothing that can be no backlash to come back and haunt it, which is a very well planned, and risk mitigating approach.

The only problem with that directive is how many are vaguely aware of it, so participation in the project might create news-worthy backlash not related to any person's background.

For example:
"Service member to face courts-martial over recent brony advertisement.

24 y/o John Doe, a petty officer in the United States Navy, thought he was representing a good side of his hobby, being a brony, when he was featured in a recent thank you advertisement that aired on the Hub. Now he may face courts-martial and possibly criminal charges due to his involvement.

Bronies are a new internet fandom of adults, mostly older men, who watch the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. When asked why they created a thank you ad, Mr. Doe had this to say:

"It's just a well put together show. It features great animation, great characters, and is better than most of the other shows on TV these days."

On the __ of June, 2012, a large, 30sec thank you advertisement aired on the Hub, featuring many bronies personally thanking the shows creators for what they've created. Mr. Doe made an appearance in the ad, representing the many service members who have also found a liking for the show, but that's also where he got into trouble.

"It's not an issue of what each service member enjoys in their off-time. The issue with Mr. Doe's approach is that he appeared on the commercial in uniform, thus he was acting as a direct representative of the United States Navy, which is fine when concerning official events, however the Navy does not officially endorse TV shows or fans of those shows, and that's where Mr. Doe made a mistake." - Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus

Many fans have already expressed their outrage and wishes to not have Mr. Doe charged, but when it comes to the policies, Mr. Doe may just have not known what he was doing when deciding to make an appearance in uniform.

Mr. Doe's court-martial is set for __ August, 2012.

AP"

So while unlikely, there's a very real possibility you could see a story like that, depending on how the video turns out. If it turns out great, it's unlikely, but if the video goes south an any way, the military is not going to want to be associated with it.

The only issue is the backlash and multiple negative news stories that the above scenario could trigger, which would effectively create a negative backlash on the video where no backlash originally existed, regardless of how carefully planned out the video is.
Navron
Global Moderator

Postby Legion » 13 May 2012 14:42

You know what? All I am going to say:

This is entirely unnecessary. I was sort of waiting for the hype to die down so that you guys wouldn't go through with it, but I think this is really serious. And it scares me. There is no point to this. They know we enjoy the show and appreciate their work. THE ONLY THING THIS DOES IS GET US ATTENTION. And you'd be lying if you disagreed.

Carry on.

Edit for clarification: yes, I am completely brushing this off. I'm honestly not interested in helping to improve it because I believe it shouldn't happen in the first place. I applaud the idea, I do not applaud the execution of that idea.
Legion

Previous

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic