Season 2 Discussion - SPOILER WARNING

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Re: Season 2 Discussion - SPOILER WARNING

Postby Senator Myth » 15 Oct 2011 08:34

Writing was wonderful, pacing was perfect, tons of excellent jokes (but none that detracted from the narrative)...

A++, would watch again

*goes to watch again*
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

Postby Interrobang Pie » 15 Oct 2011 08:37

The sequence with everybody and Smartypants was absolutely hilarious.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby X-Trav » 15 Oct 2011 08:56

FLUTTERSHY LAID THE SMACK DOWN ON THAT BEAR, HOLY HELL.

I LEGIT THOUGHT SHE SNAPPED THE THINGS NECK.
Long time pianist and mediocrity extraordinaire.

Current Projects:
Manestream media
    EOE003
Call of The Crusaders
Album
X-Trav

Postby Interrobang Pie » 15 Oct 2011 08:56

The bear was Harry.

Also:
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Senator Myth » 15 Oct 2011 08:57

Rarity was absolutely adorable in this episode. I especially love the little thing that she does with her hoof when saying HIGH AND LOW

I want that little moment as a GIF. SO ADORABLE.

Of course Twilight going absolutely fucking crazy was glorious too.

-Nietzsche
Senator Myth

Postby Ropony » 15 Oct 2011 09:00

Holy damn that episode was awesome, loved getting to see Twilight have a mental breakdown, also Fluttershy giving that bear a massage was great.

Also, this ad was great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp5Ehmgs ... ge#t=1236s
Ropony

Postby X-Trav » 15 Oct 2011 09:02

HAI GURRRRLZ

Long time pianist and mediocrity extraordinaire.

Current Projects:
Manestream media
    EOE003
Call of The Crusaders
Album
X-Trav

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 15 Oct 2011 09:04

I liked the score, a waterphone was used! It made me happy...
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Senator Myth » 15 Oct 2011 09:11

I'd also like to thank the creators of the show for giving to the world the concept of the SONIC RAIN-NUKE

Fuck the orbital friendship cannon.
-Nietzsche
Senator Myth

Postby bartekko » 15 Oct 2011 09:52

Senator Myth wrote:
[img]epicness[/img]

F**k the orbital friendship cannon.

this IS the orbital friendship cannon, just a bit upgraded
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby bartekko » 15 Oct 2011 11:44

mfw ep.3
bartekko

Postby Tephnos » 15 Oct 2011 12:43

Hmm... Am I the only one that thinks the episode was a bit much?

I mean, I liked it and all and it's probably the only one that has made me laugh out loud pretty hard with Twilight's facial expressions, but I felt as if they tried too much, too soon. Like a kind of giant fanservice (rainbow nuke, big mac saying 'nope', the reference to big mac being a brony, the trollestia stuff, fluttershy kicking ass, rainbow dash having shades, ect.), but just way over the top.

For example, in the gala episode it builds up to Fluttershy's rage and it's all the more shocking/dramatic when it finally explodes. In this, Twilight seemed pretty crazy from the start, doing goofy expressions and just continuing along that line. Speaking of the faces, while they were funny at first, they were also one of my least likeable things about the episode. The great faces Twilight pulled need more build-up, but she was firing them out all the time, making me lol, but leaving no real lasting impression.

Now I'm not saying I disliked the episode, because I didn't, it was still great. However, I'm hoping this kind of thing was a one off, and things can go back to normal for the Luna episode and beyond. Otherwise, I can see this kind of thing getting old fast.

That's just my take on it, though.
Tephnos

Postby penguindf12 » 15 Oct 2011 13:07

Celestial Nostos wrote:Hmm... Am I the only one that thinks the episode was a bit much?

I mean, I liked it and all and it's probably the only one that has made me laugh out loud pretty hard with Twilight's facial expressions, but I felt as if they tried too much, too soon. Like a kind of giant fanservice (rainbow nuke, big mac saying 'nope', the reference to big mac being a brony, the trollestia stuff, fluttershy kicking ass, rainbow dash having shades, ect.), but just way over the top.

For example, in the gala episode it builds up to Fluttershy's rage and it's all the more shocking/dramatic when it finally explodes. In this, Twilight seemed pretty crazy from the start, doing goofy expressions and just continuing along that line. Speaking of the faces, while they were funny at first, they were also one of my least likeable things about the episode. The great faces Twilight pulled need more build-up, but she was firing them out all the time, making me lol, but leaving no real lasting impression.

Now I'm not saying I disliked the episode, because I didn't, it was still great. However, I'm hoping this kind of thing was a one off, and things can go back to normal for the Luna episode and beyond. Otherwise, I can see this kind of thing getting old fast.

That's just my take on it, though.

I tend to agree. I was genuinely terrified/uncomfortable by the end. Twilight really seemed to cross the moral event horizon, for pretty much no reason.
penguindf12

Postby Circuitfry » 15 Oct 2011 13:27

Honestly, Twilight has tended to receive the least consistent writing in the past. It was so in the previous season. I'm especially looking at A Dog and Pony Show and Owl's Well That Ends Well. Most of the time, she's very calm and collected and reasonable and values rationality, but holy crap, she just totally totally loses it, in this episode. The way she acts in Swarm of the Century or A Bird in the Hoof should be the limit for Twilight. She should be *used* to stress after studying for all her life, ya know?

In the back of our minds, I think that we're all kinda thinking this and worrying about the show. The inconsistent writing actually does bother me a bit, because Twilight is my favorite pony. It seems that every pony in the show has their personalities and behaviors figured out. They even agree that it's hilarious to have Fluttershy turn a complete 180 once in a while, but Twilight? She's off on a random tangent, who even knows how she'll act, next!

She just seems to fit whatever keeps the story and the pace flowing, like the writers take the path of least resistance for the lead character or something. The small inconsistencies in the show (for example, Rarity's drama queen-ness was inconsistent [and build-up for a joke, yeah, I see that, but this is about Twilight, so let's be back on track. The small inconsistencies in the show]) were okay because the show production pace is insanely fast, and writer's aren't perfect and they do a great job, but the Twilight in this episode was way different from any other depiction of her I've seen before, and it's so alienating. I can't even relate to her when she's stressed out over the studies, and I've had nervous breakdowns about studies, myself! O:

Twilight's my favorite pony because she's a positive role model for my niece when we watch the show together. What is my niece supposed to think of the reasonable and focused Twilight when she is terrifyingly bonkers to little children? If I were simply concerned about myself when watching the show, I'd be entertained, fine with it, they're writers who want to be interesting or silly, but I like the fact that I can show the episodes to my niece and she takes things away from the show.

Another thing; if anything, Twilight should be the *least* craziest pony in the show. The very first episode has her annoyed with the craziness of the ponies, Bridle Gossip has her sarcastically pushing down initial impressions, but then she completely flips her shit over some late homework? If I were Celestia, I'd be pretty fucking fed up with her overreacting, too! Imagine the embarrassment, damn!
Viricide wrote:Thanks Obama. Or should I say Cirbama.

\
Circuitfry

Primary: LMMS
Cutie Mark: {;}

Postby Senator Myth » 15 Oct 2011 13:35

Circuitfry wrote:Twilight's my favorite pony because she's a positive role model for my niece when we watch the show together. What is my niece supposed to think of the reasonable and focused Twilight when she is terrifyingly bonkers to little children?

A positive role model is not a character who is consistently, persistently, forever perfect. One who always acts perfectly and never makes any mistakes. Twilight was pushed to the edge here because of her awful memories of Magic Kindergarten--think about it, this seems have been revealed as the very reason that Twilight is so socially awkward and rather shy. Is it a bit silly? Yes, we as the viewers know so. But evidently it put Twilight in a very real state of terror, to have to face those memories again. Think of it that way, hopefully my perspective helps you a bit here.

penguindf12 wrote:moral event horizon.

-Nietzsche
Senator Myth

Postby bartekko » 15 Oct 2011 13:57

Senator Myth wrote:Image

I think twilight would be more appropriate for this post
bartekko

Postby Tephnos » 15 Oct 2011 14:07

Well, we can only see what next week brings us. I can say though I'll be really disappointed if the Luna episode is in the same wacky style this one was.
Tephnos

Postby Makkon » 15 Oct 2011 14:15

I don't know about you guys, but I loved every second of it. The fan service was coincidental, since this was made before the show was really that popular.

I really really love the over-the-top direction that this is going, reminiscent of Invader Zim. But I do agree that they shouldn't do it too much.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Senator Myth » 15 Oct 2011 14:35

Makkon wrote:I don't know about you guys, but I loved every second of it. The fan service was coincidental, since this was made before the show was really that popular.

I really really love the over-the-top direction that this is going, reminiscent of Invader Zim. But I do agree that they shouldn't do it too much.

Basically Makkon just summed it up perfectly and in a way that everyone can probably just about agree with.
-Nietzsche
Senator Myth

Postby Circuitfry » 15 Oct 2011 14:51

Senator Myth wrote:A positive role model is not a character who is consistently, persistently, forever perfect. One who always acts perfectly and never makes any mistakes.
Babycakes, I did not assert such a ridiculous statement.

Senator Myth wrote:Twilight was pushed to the edge here because of her awful memories of Magic Kindergarten--think about it, this seems have been revealed as the very reason that Twilight is so socially awkward and rather shy. Is it a bit silly? Yes, we as the viewers know so. But evidently it put Twilight in a very real state of terror, to have to face those memories again. Think of it that way, hopefully my perspective helps you a bit here.

Nah nah nah, man, that's way too much inference; you are assuming that Twilight had such memories in the first place. Just because she's imagining herself being laughed at (and ashamed) in Magic Kindergarten at her adult stage doesn't mean that kids made fun of her when she was a young filly. It's quite possible that such memories don't even exist. I don't think that's the reason for her being pushed to the edge, at all.

I don't think she was pushed to the point of snapping for any good reason at all, that the writers felt it would help create a situation for a lesson, but I think she was stressed because she feels significant pressure as the princess' (sole) protégé. She represents royalty and in this she esteems her image as a successful student. She esteems herself too high, in fact (so, in other words, I don't just think that she's imperfect; I *know* she's imperfect). You don't have to be super scary bonkers insane to be imperfect, Myth, but that's the direction that the writers took, and I felt it was over-the-top and even illogical.

I think it's fine for her to be over-imaginative and act poorly according to that imagination, she's pretty young and it's a fine character flaw and gives her more dimensions to observe, that's fine, but Twilight going insane is silly. She has lived a life of intense studious labor, and has even fought powerful enemies, escaped dangerous creatures! Feeling heavy pressure is one thing, desperation under heavy pressure is another thing, and snapping under pressure to ridiculous insanity is one more thing, and I think that it was just overdone when you consider that the stakes weren't the fate of Equestria, or the fate of her friends, but it was just one tardy assignment. She could have blown her situation out of proportion without getting all scary.

Makkon wrote:I really really love the over-the-top direction that this is going, reminiscent of Invader Zim. But I do agree that they shouldn't do it too much.

Right, exactly. I like it as long as it doesn't alienate a character like they just did.
Viricide wrote:Thanks Obama. Or should I say Cirbama.

\
Circuitfry

Primary: LMMS
Cutie Mark: {;}

Postby Aussie » 15 Oct 2011 15:23

OH MY CHRIST

OH MY JESUS CHRIST

new theme song is kinda eh, though.
Aussie

Postby PokeBrony649 » 15 Oct 2011 16:22

Last nights episode was the best yet. first, remastered intro, second, twilight goes insane, third, rainbow dash performs atomic rainbomb, and ... ive lost count at how many awsume things there were in that episode. i hav high hopes for the rest of season two.
Ponies are the best thing to happen to me since Pokemon and music.
PokeBrony649

Postby Stars In Autumn » 15 Oct 2011 16:50

Circuitfry wrote:I like it as long as it doesn't alienate a character like they just did.

I can see your concern. I think the writers are not so much worried about character consistency than they are with making a funny/interesting episode. That's just the direction they're taking with the show. Personally, I'm fine with this. I don't think the show needs to take itself very seriously and the characters don't need to be completely logical.

But seeing Twilight snap isn't something new on the show. We've seen this with other characters. Fluttershy flipping out just because animals don't immediately warm up to her. Pinkie Pie developing schizophrenia just because she thinks her friends are avoiding one of her parties, etc. I don't think that this case is much different. Her craziness manifests itself differently than the others, and it makes her freakin' creepy, but I like it. Her various faces made when she talks with the CMC was hilarious IMO.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby Interrobang Pie » 15 Oct 2011 16:55

Aussie wrote:new theme song is kinda eh, though.

That's something I forgot to mention. Yeah, it was kinda iffy - didn't really need remastering at all in hindsight. Obviously the train in the intro is there to sell the toys.
Interrobang Pie

Postby Senator Myth » 15 Oct 2011 17:19

Completely ignoring the thing about the memories and the fact that there are DEMONIC FILLY UNICORNS in this episode that demonstrate that particular point.

Circuitfry wrote:I don't think she was pushed to the point of snapping for any good reason at all, that the ywriters felt it would help create a situation for a lesson, but I think she was stressed because she feels significant pressure as the princess' (sole) protégé. She represents royalty and in this she esteems her image as a successful student. She esteems herself too high, in fact (so, in other words, I don't just think that she's imperfect; I *know* she's imperfect). You don't have to be super scary bonkers insane to be imperfect, Myth, but that's the direction that the writers took, and I felt it was over-the-top and even illogical.

Sugarmuffin, you don't seem to have objected to the idea of Pinkie Pie going absolutely apeshit insane, so I'm just going to take this whole thing as a "they used my favorite character in a way that I wasn't comfortable with". Well, Twilight is third best pony for me, and I didn't really seem anything inconsistent with her character. She wasn't acting like herself, obviously. She was so stressed by this thing that she started acting completely different from her normal self, which is something that we all do under pressure. The situation is meant to be funny, of course, not serious, but it is handled solidly enough that we can empathize with Twilight while laughing at her.

Truth be told, if she had gone so batshit insane while defending Equestria or whatever, then I wouldn't be laughing. Because it wouldn't be funny. But this is just general silliness, Twilight not acting like her normal self under pressure. The fact that the pressure comes from something rather silly means that we can laugh instead of being worried or disturbed, like you would be if it were legitimately serious.

If Twilight starts going batshit crazy in the face of every single issue she comes up against, then we can maybe start worrying. But this is just one situation in one episode, the creators handled it well, and it's hardly indicative of the show or the character being ruined.

And if you're worried about your niece, don't be. Children aren't nearly as impressionable as people think. If they were then my niece would believe me when I say Rarity is best pony and stop with all this Rainbow Dash nonesense a;ja;fkf;kagj;akgj;akjdg

Interrobang Pie wrote:Obviously the train in the intro is there to sell the toys.

First, I rather liked the new theme song D=

Second, I still think that it's entirely possible that they just intend to use the train much more in Season; that they'll be travelling to distant locations more and more often.
-Nietzsche
Senator Myth

PreviousNext

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic