Greetings fellow musicians!

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Greetings fellow musicians!

Postby Navron » 15 Nov 2011 17:40

AJtheEngineer recommended I give this site a look, and I think it's great!

Now, since this isn't an introductory forum, and instead a forum devoted to technique, here's what I currently struggle with:

I grew up with a very arts-oriented family. My dad has a major in conducting, and my mom's a ballet teacher. I was also involved with band at school starting in 5th grade, with the clarinet. I continued to play clarinet throughout middle and high school, where I transitioned to bass clarinet. I spent 3 years with my school's symphonic orchestra, traveling to big competitions, and so on. I played as a bassist for a metal band in my senior year of high school.

Then I joined the military, yada yada yada, and now I've had a sudden desire to get back into the arts world (I just can't escape it).

Anyway, my background is all based on reading treble cleffs, having great music theory discussions with my dad, and playing real instruments. Now I'm delving into electronic music territory, home recording, etc, and I haven't got the faintest clue. I understand a lot of theory, chord progressions, and rhythms, but I'm quickly discovering that an electronic musician and live instrument musician are nearly polar opposites. Ask me to make a part staccato, and I can adjust the attack and release to sound staccato. Ask me to do side-chain compression, and I will give you the biggest "wtf" stare the world's ever seen.

I've looked up many tutorials, and have learned a decent amount by experimenting, but I keep feeling there's this wealth of knowledge in the electronic music world I'm missing out on.

Anybody have some good links to help learn more about, "electronic music theory?"

I enjoy mixed genres, particularly industrial mixed with orchestral, and have made a few tracks as a score for a short film that you can hear here: http://soundcloud.com/navy-brony

I'm sure those more familiar with the electronic music world can hear a severe lack of post-processing, compression, EQ cuts, etc, but I hope as I spend more time here I will become more familiar with the electronic world.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Re: Greetings fellow musicians!

Postby sci » 15 Nov 2011 18:14

"where do I start" is kind of a really, really open question...

What I'd recommend:
1. listen to a bunch of new [electronic] music (which is a generally good idea anyway)
2. find a sound or technique that you like / that you want to use.
3. ask around to find out what it's called and how to make it
4. make at least one song using this technique (practice is important)
5. GOTO 1

that's a pretty basic but effective way to build up a skillset.
sci

Primary: OpenMPT
Cutie Mark: Sampling

Postby Tsyolin » 15 Nov 2011 19:12

Hey Ben! Wassup? Anyways, since you just happened to be posting about your struggles with making electronic music, I'd seriously recommend looking at ReFX Nexus 2, it's as easy as it gets when it comes to techno VSTs. I suck at arranging techno and even I can use it...
Tsyolin

Primary: Studio One
Cutie Mark: I don't even know anymore

Postby H8_Seed » 15 Nov 2011 19:24

DUDE. What is up? I know exactly how you feel (well, I shouldn't say exactly, I actually decided to start producing before I enlisted in the Navy, but that's neither here nor there); all I can tell you is to listen to AS MANY electronic artists and genres as you can get access to. If you want, you can PM me and I'll see if I can compile a list of artists/songs that are genre defining/breaking that would be good resources for you.

An easy VST synth I used when starting out (and still use today) is Sylenth1. It was simple enough for me to figure out without any tutorials and it sounds magnificent.

Good luck with your future music endeavors! I'd love to talk about the Navy with you some more if you have time; I signed my contract on Monday and as you can probably guess, I have a lot of questions lol
"The sky isn't falling, it's being thrown at us!!!"
H8_Seed

Postby Navron » 15 Nov 2011 19:53

Hey Seed, great to meet another military brony!

I've grown a liking to Shpongle and Juno Reactor, although I grew up on the MechWarrior 2 soundtrack (likely where my inspiration for electronic music came from).
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Facade » 15 Nov 2011 20:10

Welcome to the forums navybrony and my what an epic helmet you have there and nice jacket too ^.^
basically what sci said listen to some electronic music and ask how certain parts are made then repeat (he explains it better then me xD)
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Makkon » 16 Nov 2011 04:57

Howdy, NavyBrony! Welcome to MLR!

My first question for you is particularly what genre of music are you looking to create? (Or rather, what sort of sound are you going for?) I make orchestral scores digitally on my computer, there's really a lot that you can do if you have the right software.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby bartekko » 16 Nov 2011 08:04

Where do you start? Everywhere! As soon as you get something to make music, use everything you can get.

The better question is: when? and the answer is ASAP, cuz you learn through practice.

And Electronic Music Theory? well... go to http://noisesculpture.com and get "how to make a noise" (or another book on sound synthesis, but HTMAN (oldest one) is free) for your basic sound design knowledge, then look around, and ask everypony why one song sounds different to yours. And sometimes, try to remake a song you like, and you'll be certain to learn something new.
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby H8_Seed » 16 Nov 2011 13:12

Hey, NavyBrony, I sent you a PM.
"The sky isn't falling, it's being thrown at us!!!"
H8_Seed

Postby UnderpΩny » 16 Nov 2011 18:35

Tutorials. Tutorials will save your life one day! Also, get involved with technical discussions and ask about anything you don't understand.
UnderpΩny

Postby Interrobang Pie » 16 Nov 2011 20:36

We seem to be getting a lot of these threads recently.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Return to Technique