Microphone issues: recording at half speed (or something)

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Microphone issues: recording at half speed (or something)

Postby Marshmelon » 17 Jul 2013 17:33

Put shortly: I bought a new microphone, plugged it into the comp, when I record (via Audacity or even in the Skype Test Call), the recording is very, very slow-- meaning that playback is played at 200% (or more, not exactly sure) speed.

I'm also having a thing where, when the microphone is plugged in, I can't type (no keyboard keys work; Tab, space, ctrl+z, letters-- all nonfunctional), and I can't open drop-down menus (for example, the "File" or "Edit" things at the top of a window, or the menu to select whether I want to record in mono or stereo).

Help?

Running Ubuntu Linux (which dist, I'm not sure), playing with a Blue brand Yeti mic.
Also bought it used, so that might be a factor.
Marshmelon

Re: Microphone issues: recording at half speed (or something

Postby Facade » 17 Jul 2013 18:32

what daw do you use? (apart from audacity)
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Conchetupony » 17 Jul 2013 22:16

Try changing the sample rate in Audacity's sound settings, or the track where you recorded the vocals (click the track name, then go to "Set Rate"). Check "Help > Audio Device Info" to see the sample rates supported by a device in particular.

I wish I could help further - being an Ubuntu Studio user myself - but I haven't ever used an USB mic, and your problem with the keyboard gives no results on Google. :/
oops I dropped the bass

will you pick it up for me
Conchetupony

Primary: Ardour 3.3.1
Cutie Mark: Mindlessly rocking out

Postby itroitnyah » 18 Jul 2013 13:41

The driver that the microphone installs when inserted into the usb port probably doesn't work well with ubuntu
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Conchetupony » 19 Jul 2013 19:50

itroitnyah wrote:The driver that the microphone installs when inserted into the usb port probably doesn't work well with ubuntu

Any driver the microphone could install is probably either for Windows or Mac OS (the two platforms officially supported by the Blue Yeti), and there's no way Linux would somehow run it (Wine doesn't run low-level programs such as drivers afaik).
oops I dropped the bass

will you pick it up for me
Conchetupony

Primary: Ardour 3.3.1
Cutie Mark: Mindlessly rocking out

Return to Technique