Key?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Key?

Postby Calamus_Dash » 08 Nov 2011 06:33

This is a bit of a random question, but this just popped into my head earlier.
When you guys compose, what criteria do you use when picking a key? To be honest, I usually just pick whatever key I feel like playing in on my keyboard, then keep it in that key when I move it to FL studio. Is this a bad idea?
how did this get here
i am not good with computer

http://www.youtube.com/user/calamusdash
Calamus_Dash

Re: Key?

Postby Mox » 08 Nov 2011 06:52

I never start writing in a major key. But sometimes I end up there.

I think picking a random key is the way to go. I've heard some artists say that certain keys have these instrinic emotions and feelings they conjure up, but I think you can get away with any genre in any key.
Mox

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 08 Nov 2011 07:22

KEYS??? BAH!!!
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby X-Trav » 08 Nov 2011 07:35

Dr_Dissonance wrote:KEYS??? BAH!!!

Yeah... "bah"... (Please put a key next time I remix you.)

I don't think about keys often, usually I make the melody and then figure out what key it's in. With enough accidentals you don't really need a key, I often just use keys to keep the music structured. Most commonly I use Ab Major, due to the fact that some of my favorite piano pieces are written in that key, and it sounds pretty. (Think Jupiter by Gustav Holst.)
Long time pianist and mediocrity extraordinaire.

Current Projects:
Manestream media
    EOE003
Call of The Crusaders
Album
X-Trav

Postby bartekko » 08 Nov 2011 07:43

While I never think of a key in the beginning, I almost always end up in A minor, for some reason.
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Andy Feelin » 08 Nov 2011 08:18

Use only white keys = forever A minor / C major
Favourite pony: Fluttershy
Genre: eurodance, 80's italo-disco, synthpop
Soft: FL studio 5
Hard: CASIO CTK-900, ALISA 1387, Elsita RMIF e-drumset, Epiphone Embassy bass guitar
YouTube
Discography on MLR (latest update: 2004 - Margarita)
Andy Feelin

Postby Interrobang Pie » 08 Nov 2011 09:41

Key. Change. Obligatory.

When remixing a song I often try to identify what key it's in so I know what I can work with.

When I'm composing, I don't care about keys. I often end up choosing C or G minor though.

Major keys suck.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Mox » 08 Nov 2011 11:09

Interrobang Pie wrote:Key. Change. Obligatory.

When remixing a song I often try to identify what key it's in so I know what I can work with.

When I'm composing, I don't care about keys. I often end up choosing C or G minor though.

Major keys suck.

A man after my own heart.
Mox

Postby Versilaryan » 08 Nov 2011 11:13

^
Versilaryan

Postby Calamus_Dash » 08 Nov 2011 13:27

oh man i should have expected that. still LOLed though.
how did this get here

Calamus_Dash

Postby VScratch » 08 Nov 2011 13:30

I usually just start with playing a random melody or bassline on my keyboard, and if I decide to use it that's the key the song will at least start in.
VScratch

Postby 2clop » 08 Nov 2011 15:07

E flat major is generally agreed to sound heroic. So, whenever I need a heroic or epic piece, I use E flat major. For everything else, there's C major/A minor
2clop

Postby Kragt » 08 Nov 2011 18:36

Like most I write mostly in white keys. (Or a few of the simpler black key strutures.) Tho no matter what key I write in (I experiment with the melody and pattern then find the key) It is always a minor key. XD

Then again if I have learned anything from Dissonance.. its that you dont need a key if you got enough accidentals. >>

But sweet tip 2clop.. anypony else have other tips like that? Id love to hear what other intrinsic properties other keys have. ^^
Kragt

Postby bartekko » 08 Nov 2011 18:38

I think that a minor key sounds more adult/serious than a major key.
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Kragt » 08 Nov 2011 18:46

It sounds more complicated to me. More interesting. But usually never happier. This is my beef with me writing only in Minor keys... it's hard to write something that feels blissful or happy.Maybe I just havnt figured out the trick to doing it yet but that is my current thought on the issue.
Kragt

Postby Versilaryan » 08 Nov 2011 18:48

For the most part, if it's classical, I'll be /really/ picky about the key and the feel the key generates. Otherwise, it's what makes the instruments sound best (IE, so I sing in my mid-high range, or that dubstep line is low enough to be dirty but not muddy, etc.)

Usually, if it's classical, though, fuck the key. =D

On the issue of minor/major, I find that it's actually more difficult to write in major keys, especially in heavier genres, without having it sound corny. So naturally, I've been pushing myself to write more in major.
Versilaryan

Postby Kragt » 08 Nov 2011 18:50

In your experience, what keys do what effects if you dont mind sparing some time to explain. ^^; Id love to hear your thoughts on that issue.
Kragt

Postby Versilaryan » 08 Nov 2011 18:59

I dunno. It really does depend on the music, the ranges of the instruments playing it, where you're modulating to/from, etc. I'll agree with 2clop up there and say that Eb major sounds heroic. F major sounds triumphant. C major is the "mother earth key", to quote David Maslanka -- interpret that as you will.

Of course, D minor is the saddest of all keys. (I had to say that. xP)

When you change keys, adding sharps usually makes the piece sound brighter, while adding flats makes the piece sound... well, more laid-back. Of course, don't also forget to account that higher = brighter...
Last edited by Versilaryan on 08 Nov 2011 19:07, edited 1 time in total.
Versilaryan

Postby Kragt » 08 Nov 2011 19:01

Sweet... >> This may explain why everything I write is so depressing since my fav key is D Harmonic Minor (All white keys but not A minor, with D as tonic.)

XD

^^ Thank you very much for your input.

Edit: What does everypony think of D major?

Just curious.
Kragt

Postby 2clop » 08 Nov 2011 20:05

Kragt wrote:Sweet... >> This may explain why everything I write is so depressing since my fav key is D Harmonic Minor (All white keys but not A minor, with D as tonic.)

I may be brain-farting here, but doesn't D minor have a Bb? And harmonic minor adds an extra black key while ascending (to D E F G A Bb C# D). D melodic minor would only have one black key while ascending (the Bb would become B, the C would become sharped) and one black key while descending (Bb, C natural), and D natural minor would only have one black key all the time (Bb).
2clop

Postby Calamus_Dash » 08 Nov 2011 20:56

2clop wrote:
Kragt wrote:Sweet... >> This may explain why everything I write is so depressing since my fav key is D Harmonic Minor (All white keys but not A minor, with D as tonic.)

I may be brain-farting here, but doesn't D minor have a Bb? And harmonic minor adds an extra black key while ascending (to D E F G A Bb C# D). D melodic minor would only have one black key while ascending (the Bb would become B, the C would become sharped) and one black key while descending (Bb, C natural), and D natural minor would only have one black key all the time (Bb).

I had to go over to my computer to find out :P
D minor has a Bb, and harmonic D minor would have a Db too. You might be thinking of the Dorian mode, which (IIRC) is all white keys with D as the tonic
how did this get here

Calamus_Dash

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 09 Nov 2011 03:01

Calamus_Dash wrote:Db

C#

But yes, D Dorian is D to D on all whites!
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Kragt » 09 Nov 2011 04:42

Thank you for correcting me all. XD Must have hard a brain fart myself when I was writing that.
Kragt

Return to Technique