Cord types for studio monitors

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Cord types for studio monitors

Postby itroitnyah » 21 Jun 2013 11:30

Alright, I got my monitors all set up, and the problem is that when I went to the store to pick up 1/4" TRS cables, they only have one, but they had a 1/4" guitar cable right near it, same length, same price. I took a look at the back of the packages, and the main difference was that the guitar cable, in the part listing the half-advertising features of the cable, it has a bit, "Serviceable, all-metal plugs for live-sound applications", and the properly labeled TRS cable has "Nickel-plated plugs for rugged durability and efficient signal transfer". Other than that, the rest of the features are the same. One other difference, is that the little descriptions on the back of the packages are different, the guitar cable talking about how Hosa is a dependable world-class company with exceptional value, and the TRS cable talking about how it's used to interconnect pro audio gear with balanced phone jacks.

When I connected both cables to the monitors and audio interface, the one with the guitar cable plays about 1/2 dB lower than the one with the proper cable. Both cables fit into the monitors similarly. I'm wondering if it's fine for me to just boost the monitor with the guitar cable the extra amount, or if I should really wait for the store to get more of the proper TRS cables in stock and then trade for the proper cable?

Btw, here are links to product pages from the store I bought the cords at: 1/4" TRS cable 1/4" guitar cable

EDIT: Alright, I'm just going to break the monitors in and pick up a cord when it's available. Thanks anyways, pointless thread is pointless.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Return to Technique