Opinions on being multi-genre'd?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Opinions on being multi-genre'd?

Postby StormWolf » 07 Nov 2011 05:28

Not sure if this is the right place to post but meh, someone move it if I got the wrong place.

So, I'm sure anypony who's listened to my music would've probably figured out that I do like, a lot of genres. I'm just wondering what everypony's opinion is of that. Like, what are the positives and negatives and stuff.

Don't know why really, just thought it'd be an interesting topic to discuss :3
-StormWolf

YouTube | SoundCloud
StormWolf

Re: Opinions on being multi-genre'd?

Postby Andy Feelin » 07 Nov 2011 05:38

I think most of us here do lots of genres. And it is good, why not? The only problem you may face is when you start promoting your stuff.
Favourite pony: Fluttershy
Genre: eurodance, 80's italo-disco, synthpop
Soft: FL studio 5
Hard: CASIO CTK-900, ALISA 1387, Elsita RMIF e-drumset, Epiphone Embassy bass guitar
YouTube
Discography on MLR (latest update: 2004 - Margarita)
Andy Feelin

Postby PinkieGuy » 07 Nov 2011 06:15

Yeah, i'm definately multi-genred. And there is a pretty clear distinction between the two sets. But as far as I can tell, the subscribers don't mind. As long as you put everything into your music, and can make sure it's a decent quality, I don't see any downsides to being multi-genred.

That being said, don't expect to master every genre. No-one but skrillex can do that :D
JackleApp wrote:THIS IS A HEINOUS ABUSE OF POWER BUT

YOUR MOD COMMANDS YOU
PinkieGuy

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Diss Order » 07 Nov 2011 08:13

The only reasons people stick to genres is either because they're insecure and know that's the kind of music their fans like OR because their record label wants them to.

If you want and if you can: by all means, make whatever the fuck you want to make. :)
New aliases: Subhoofer, for online fandom stuffs. Name Not Required is for original stuff. :)

https://soundcloud.com/djnnr/lemons-2nd-preview
Diss Order

Postby Interrobang Pie » 07 Nov 2011 12:05

Interrobang Pie Wanks Genres. I'm making the second trio right now.

(Despite this I still only listen to chiptunes)
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Andy Feelin » 07 Nov 2011 12:19

And you can become free from genre borders. You can combine genres if you want, I do that more often than I do some particular genre. It's not like "Let's make EBM/trance/black metal crossover", it's just "I feel like I want to add some trance synth here and guitar shred there and guys you will figure out what genre it belongs to".
Favourite pony: Fluttershy
Genre: eurodance, 80's italo-disco, synthpop
Soft: FL studio 5
Hard: CASIO CTK-900, ALISA 1387, Elsita RMIF e-drumset, Epiphone Embassy bass guitar
YouTube
Discography on MLR (latest update: 2004 - Margarita)
Andy Feelin

Postby StormWolf » 07 Nov 2011 14:29

Interrobang Pie wrote:Interrobang Pie Wanks Genres. I'm making the second trio right now.

(Despite this I still only listen to chiptunes)

Am I allowed to copy you and like, do a trio like that or something, and post it there?? xD
-StormWolf

YouTube | SoundCloud
StormWolf

Postby bartekko » 07 Nov 2011 14:31

Don't ask I-Pie that kind of questions, as he will say "no" just because he's british
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby StormWolf » 07 Nov 2011 14:34

bartekko wrote:Don't ask I-Pie that kind of questions, as he will say "no" just because he's british

ZAT IS RAAAAACISTZZZZZ
g
-StormWolf

YouTube | SoundCloud
StormWolf

Postby X-Trav » 07 Nov 2011 15:34

I use a new genre every toastbeard!

You learn new things, so why not?
Long time pianist and mediocrity extraordinaire.

Current Projects:
Manestream media
    EOE003
Call of The Crusaders
Album
X-Trav

Postby Versilaryan » 07 Nov 2011 16:25

I don't see a problem with being multi-genre'd. If you know a lot of different genres, you're a better, more flexible musician. And you can work on incorporating aspects of one genre into works of a different genre to give your music an original spin to it.

Even if you're recording an album, it shouldn't be a problem (provided you don't jump genres all over the place for no reason whatsoever). Avenged Sevenfold's self-titled album contains mostly heavy metal songs but ends with something definitely inspired by Broadway musicals and Tim Burton films and a country-rock song. As long as the songs work well together, there's no reason why you shouldn't mix genres.
Versilaryan

Postby Interrobang Pie » 07 Nov 2011 16:41

StormWolf wrote:Am I allowed to copy you and like, do a trio like that or something, and post it there?? xD

No.

It's all I have.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby bartekko » 07 Nov 2011 16:53

Interrobang Pie wrote:No.

told you, stormwolf.

Interrobang Pie wrote:It's all I have.

you still can have ableton live/reason/cubase/flstudio and get rid of the chiptune blasphemy. You just have to start hating chiptunes, like you hate everything else. and there must be a "yin" to hating's "yang", so you have to start liking something else.

You just have to waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Whitetail » 07 Nov 2011 19:00

I don't have the attention span to just devote myself to one genre
Whitetail

Postby Icky » 08 Nov 2011 10:31

"All we're trying to do is make music that we like. It just so happens that we like screeches, clockworks and other such things in our music. If we enjoy certain sounds or a style, whats wrong with doing what we like? Given our extensive experience with many genres of music across the board, coming up with synth patches that sound like something else isn't difficult - in fact we relish in the challenge! But once again, we're doing what we love nothing less or more." - Bioweapon, responding to a retarded youtube comment.

This basically sums up why I only make hardstyle, its not because of my subscribers or a record label (I wish!) but just because thats what I enjoy doing the most.

I have actually experimented with some other stuff (dubstep, hardcore, eurotrance) but in the end hardstyle is just what I like the most. Altough I do still want to try and make some complextro or something, probably going to ask ArtAttack one day. :lol:
Icky

Postby [voodoopony] » 11 Nov 2011 14:09

I've never had any urge inside me to categorize things with labels because I grew up mostly listening to "a combination of many genres". I guess what's more important than the genre is how it effects the listener.

My music revolves around beats most of the time [I'm working to grow out of that]. The beat itself encompasses a wide variety... hiphop, house, motown, etc. I just think it's almost impossible for me to aim and make one true genre.

While I don't mind all the categories of music, I dislike it when people feel the urge to label every corner of the musical spectrum with their almost sickening details [Intelligent dance music for smart people, Trip hop because only drug users listen to this, etc]. It pretty much destroys all the originality and meaning behind the art and turns it into a fad, the kind that just come and go with the hype and become forgotten.

Sorry about my rant. I don't want to appear anti genre though, I think some things are meant to have them [acid house, anyone?]
Last edited by [voodoopony] on 13 Nov 2011 03:58, edited 1 time in total.
Warning: May cause rapid chest hair growth.
Youtube - Bandcamp
[voodoopony]

Postby ArtAttack » 12 Nov 2011 22:50

I'm pretty multigenre'd, but I tend to stick to one umbrella genre, which is bass-centered music (dubstep, complextro, drum and bass, electro house). This means I can apply my skills in one genre to a completely different one :D
Name: Sam
DAW: FL Studio 10
Genre: French Electro, Electro House, Complextro, Dubstep
Current Projects:
SECOND ALBUM
BALLOON PARTY: Tourniqakes
Lots of remixes omg
ArtAttack

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: idiot mark

Postby Stars In Autumn » 13 Nov 2011 12:30

I'd say do whatever. If you're concerned about how it'll affect your listener base, then you can always make a pseudonym.

It doesn't really affect your listener base though, I think. My youtube channel has orchestral, electronic, jazz, a dubstep/rap thing, and a pop song. It's just whatever I feel like and want to try my hoof at.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby zorg » 13 Nov 2011 16:54

i don't even know what genre i make anytime i make something.
^feel free to disregard | genres... what are those? | :3
[collabgeddon] - too much time passed for this
Do feel free to keep in touch through discord: #zorg "eight" "rod" "inverted-E" "four"
zorg

Primary: ILyEAN (v0.0.0.0) [Designing Phase]
Cutie Mark: Usually Invisible

Postby Freewave » 01 Dec 2011 18:23

I love delving into different genres or combining several together. Only time that becomes an issue is if you have an audience that expects you to have a "sound" and is disappointed if you don't. But sticking with one genre can be boring unless you can really find great variety in it (and that's very hard to do).
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Diss Order » 02 Dec 2011 05:13

Heck... I delve into Ambience, Trance, Club, Dance, Hardstyle, Hardcore and recently even a bit of Speedcore. :P I got a really wide taste in music, and a lot of tolerance for those 'underground' and 'alternative' genres. I hope that will turn out to be a good thing for me. :)
New aliases: Subhoofer, for online fandom stuffs. Name Not Required is for original stuff. :)

Diss Order

Postby DasDeer » 04 Dec 2011 06:07

Being Multi-genre'd is positive, in my eyes atleast.
If you're able to create music from different genres, it makes you a very flexible musician and composer. If you're looking to create music for a living, say, a composer on a video game company for example, being multi-genre'd is important. I encourage people to be multi-genre'd.

Myself, i tend to do more Orchestral-ish stuff; i've never actually touched dubstep or any of the "hardcore" electronical genres.
DasDeer

Postby Navron » 04 Dec 2011 12:11

I enjoy listening to musicians that can combine different genres, especially ones that seem like they would never work, like mixing the time-signature shifting, heavy metal band of Tool, and Dubstep:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfebI6mJ ... h_response
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby PinkieGuy » 04 Dec 2011 15:15

I think it's worth noting, my toastbeard entry this week proves that being TOO multi-genre'd turns you into Tarby though.
JackleApp wrote:THIS IS A HEINOUS ABUSE OF POWER BUT

YOUR MOD COMMANDS YOU
PinkieGuy

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Diss Order » 05 Dec 2011 01:01

PinkieGuy wrote:I think it's worth noting, my toastbeard entry this week proves that being TOO multi-genre'd turns you into Tarby though.

Everything comes with practice.

Of course, you shouldn't throw every genre you can think of into a single track, because that's when it starts becoming a mess. :lol:

Diss Order

Next

Return to Technique