Help with removing BGM from an audio clip

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Help with removing BGM from an audio clip

Postby Calamus_Dash » 06 Nov 2011 19:16

I'm working on a song that uses a few samples from Rainbow Dash, and, frustratingly, one of them has some background music in it. I COULD just leave it in, but it sounds terrible in the context of the rest of the song. I know there's some way to remove BGM from an audio clip, but I don't actually know how :P any pointers?
how did this get here
i am not good with computer

http://www.youtube.com/user/calamusdash
Calamus_Dash

Re: Help with removing BGM from an audio clip

Postby Tiaaaaa » 06 Nov 2011 19:22

Well, the easiest way would be to download the episode audio from here and clip to what you need. Alternatively, if you really want to do it with the clip you have you can always suck it into audacity. I'm not sure myself about how you would go about it, but the internet says to apply a high pass filter and then a low pass filter.
Tiaaaaa

Postby Calamus_Dash » 06 Nov 2011 19:28

Tiaaaaa wrote:Well, the easiest way would be to download the episode audio from here and clip to what you need. Alternatively, if you really want to do it with the clip you have you can always suck it into audacity. I'm not sure myself about how you would go about it, but the internet says to apply a high pass filter and then a low pass filter.
Thanks a bunch dude! that link...ME GUSTA :D
how did this get here
i am not good with computer

http://www.youtube.com/user/calamusdash
Calamus_Dash

Postby Sugarholik » 07 Nov 2011 03:01

See if you can find the BGM. Try the archives of EqD.
You need to synch it perfectly with the original audio which includes both the music and speech. Then take either one and do a phase reverse. That should give you nearly perfect result because identical waves with opposite phases eliminate each other. Filtering leaves the BGM within the vocal range untouched so in other words it cuts only bass and maybe cymbals or something.
Sugarholik

Primary: Renoise
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Darktrot » 07 Nov 2011 09:25

I tried this tequnique and it didnt work for the song i wanted.
DARKTROT MUSIC FOREVER
Darktrot

Postby Howlgram » 07 Nov 2011 22:12

MikeGallop wrote:See if you can find the BGM. Try the archives of EqD.
You need to synch it perfectly with the original audio which includes both the music and speech. Then take either one and do a phase reverse. That should give you nearly perfect result because identical waves with opposite phases eliminate each other. Filtering leaves the BGM within the vocal range untouched so in other words it cuts only bass and maybe cymbals or something.

What he said ^^
you basically take the whole audio, divide it by instrumental (or bgm), and get acapella :D
simple math, yay~
❑ Single
❑ Taken
✔ Mentally dating a character that doesn't actually exist
Howlgram

Postby Mox » 07 Nov 2011 22:41

Filtering and phasing will both leave you with lossy, distorted audio.

The cleanest way is just to mux it out yourself.
Pick up an mkv video of the episode. If it's a season 2 ep, get that here
Look for the AC3CH5.1 encoding, meaning it has 5 channels of audio. Rip out the middle channel using any demuxing software out there, and you've got an mlp episode void of sound effects and BGM (mostly).

If it's a season 1 ep, someone already uploaded them all here (if you're okay with mp3, that is)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l9jqdtxigv0pbfh
Mox

Return to Technique