Thunder sounds

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Thunder sounds

Postby Mister Tulip » 10 Apr 2013 18:42

I'm kind of wondering how to make thunder sounds like the ones in this song:

Is there any way to generate those sounds with a synth, or do I need to use samples? If it's doable with a synth, how? And if not, do you know any good place to get samples?
Zarfot wrote:*This post intentionally left blank, although the the presence of this sentence means that this isn't true, good fight*
Mister Tulip

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: Thunder sounds

Postby itroitnyah » 10 Apr 2013 19:03

I remember listening to CDs are a kid that were just purely sound effects, and nature sound effects to be exact. And there was indeed a lightning one. I'm not sure there's a way to synthesize lightning.

So unless you want to go out with a weather proof mic and record your own sample, hit up your local library CD section to see if you can find some CDs with nature sounds, and some will have lightning. And then just do an audio rip. here is a place where they list a ton of websites with lightning samples.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Postby the4thImpulse » 10 Apr 2013 19:49

Modulating a reverb's room size can result in some 'thunder' esque sounds. Set the reverb to be 0% dry and 100% wet and turn the room size as you run audio through it, any sort of sustained audio should do great.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby Alycs » 10 Apr 2013 20:07

Okay this is how to make a "Thunder Tube". Its a handheld percussion instrument that is used to mimic thunder:

Get a lot of toilet paper rolls and tape them together.
Using scissors, cut a 12-inch square of heavy aluminum craft sheet metal into small pieces of various sizes. Pull a rubber balloon over one end of your cardboard paper towel tube. Stand your tube upright over a piece of cardboard and trace the outline of the tube's end, cutting out this circle and poking a small hole in the center of the circle through which you attach the end of the wire spring.
Fill your cardboard tube halfway with the cut aluminum pieces and seal the end of the tube by attaching the cardboard circle and hanging spring with glue and let it dry overnight to make sure the circle doesn't fall off.
Hold the thunder tube in one hand so that the spring is hanging downwards. Now shake back and forth. This causes the spring inside to vibrate against the aluminum pieces filling the tube, a sound that will transfer to the balloon covering at the opposite end of the tube.

Sample that in your DAW and add a reverb with a modulating room size. To get that sweet "crack" sound, find a sample of a clap and cut out all the mid-range frequencies and add reverb.

----

Actually I just remembered another way that is much easier:
Get a Balloon and put a quarter in it. Blow it up, spin it around. Sample that and add a modulating reverb if you feel the need.
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby Mister Tulip » 11 Apr 2013 08:31

Thanks for all the tips, guys. Hopefully I'll be able to apply this in a song some time soon. :D
Zarfot wrote:*This post intentionally left blank, although the the presence of this sentence means that this isn't true, good fight*
Mister Tulip

Return to Technique