Help with mashups

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Help with mashups

Postby DJ Skrudge » 02 Apr 2013 05:23

Take a listen to this mashup I did the other day:

Am I doing this right? I pretty much dropped Play Hard onto Unison using Traktor for iPad, and just played certain cue points, faded in and out etc. I know it might sound like a stupid question, but is there are proper way to do this? I feel like I could have done a lot more with it if I had some idea of what to do beforehand. I don't have access to acapellas or anything, so this was the best I could do under the circumstances (at a family friend's place with only an iPad and 15-20 minutes, during the Easter break). Compare it to this:

Is mine an improvement, or a step backwards? I have no clue...
I worship Fluttershy.
DJ Skrudge

Re: Help with mashups

Postby itroitnyah » 02 Apr 2013 05:41

There is a better way, but using an iPad won't work very well. It's easiest to use your DAW. Find the sections that sound similar/the same and those sections are where you want to fade in and out from. I'm not the best at this, I've never tried it before, so if I sound like an idiot right now, you'll understand why.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 02 Apr 2013 20:13

Honestly, there is no "right" way to do it. If you think you're balancing the two tracks properly and it sounds GOOD, then you're doing it right, there's a mashup I've been wanting to upload one where all I did was switch around the drops, nothing else. Yet it still is fun to listen to. Ill upload it in the morning.
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Postby Hawk » 03 Apr 2013 12:38

itroitnyah wrote:There is a better way, but using an iPad won't work very well. It's easiest to use your DAW.

That is if you don't want to do it live. Doing a mashup live is much more fun then doing it with a DAW, but thats just my opinion. Also, from what I've seen, the iPad version of Traktor is pretty good, not as good as the "big" version, but you can get pretty decent results with it.

The part at 2:29 feels a bit strange because the built up is way too big for a "small" drop like that. You should take the agression out, for example by adding a lp filter and turning the cutoff down at the end of the build up. Other than that, It's pretty good. But again that's just my opinion.

I dont like the second one, it's off-beat as fuck.
Soundcloud
Youtube

Click here! If you're lucky, you'll catch me djing.
Hawk

Primary: Ableton Live & Maschine
Cutie Mark: a minus <3

Postby KingTrollestia » 03 Apr 2013 13:40

I've been curious about this as well. I always figured it was trying to get the BPM to match up with one of the songs
DAW: Logic Pro 9

Studying to become an Audio Engineer, amongst making kick ass music

VST: Massive, Kontakt 5, Reaktor 5, Absynth 5, NLogPoly Synth

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/KingTrollestia
KingTrollestia

Postby Hawk » 03 Apr 2013 14:04

KingTrollestia wrote:I've been curious about this as well. I always figured it was trying to get the BPM to match up with one of the songs

A mashup is combining two songs and creating a "new" one. So yeah, getting the BPM to match is important, but you can also add effects or play with the volumes of the songs too "glue" them together. You can do anything you want, as long as it sounds good.
Soundcloud
Youtube

Click here! If you're lucky, you'll catch me djing.
Hawk

Primary: Ableton Live & Maschine
Cutie Mark: a minus <3

Return to Technique