Guitar sound help?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Guitar sound help?

Postby Fl Brony » 17 Mar 2013 22:31

I'm trying to get a sound for my guitar that will make it sound like an acoustic guitar but I cant really think of any plug-ins so.....help?
I rap, make teh electronics, and try to be br00tz.
I also go by JokerCard for non pony stuff
My Youtube
My Soundcloud
I have a Tumblr...
I have a Twitter or something...

Fl Brony

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Re: Guitar sound help?

Postby the4thImpulse » 17 Mar 2013 23:42

Google?

Try "guitar to acoustic guitar vst" or something along those lines. I know of real pedals that do that sort of thing.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby bartekko » 18 Mar 2013 13:17

you're going to need some resonators as well as an eq to roll off the high end off a bit. then add a compressor to only squash the initial transient as well as a bit of very slight chorus/phaser and you should end up with something sounding more acoustic. You can also try NI Guitar Rig, but after all, no matter what you do the real thing will still sound the best because imitation will be imitation no matter what. (Savarez Alliance/Corum strings do a good job of making my Yamaha C-60 Sound Electric-ishy when plucked near the bridge which brings up another point: Take your pickup as far away from the bridge as possible and preferably use more than one)

Of course i'm assuming you're talking about an electric guitar and not a Spanish guitar, in which case do not try putting metal strings on.
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby cplbradley » 18 Mar 2013 13:55

if you're talking about trying to get an acoustic guitar sound out of an electric guitar, then you're kinda shit out of luck dude. get an electric acoustic
Honorary Member of the Yoy and Whistle Club
https://soundcloud.com/cplbradley/perfectly-natural
cplbradley

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Distorted Fart Noises

Postby MixolydianPony » 22 Mar 2013 21:21

The best thing I've seen for that is the Boss AC-3, which is good if you've got a single coil neck pickup. If you've got humbuckers, you're screwed. It's a pedal, like $100, and pretty much any music store should have one. As far as plugins... you're not going to get what you want for free.

Try messing around with EQ. Cut the mids, boost lows and highs a bit. You'll have to experiment. Use a larger string gauge if you use small ones. Put a touch of reverb on it. It's not going to sound perfect.

Acoustic, electric, and 12 string acoustic guitarist, always looking for collabs.
MixolydianPony

Return to Technique