Rogue sounds

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Rogue sounds

Postby Perpetual » 17 Mar 2013 13:18

Okay, so I have just recently started getting into this guy's music:

I want to make the "zipper" synth at 1:04 and the kinda wet sounding bass right before the drop.
I know for a fact the guy uses Massive, so if you know your Massive please give me some tips to achieving those sounds, thank you.
Perpetual

Re: Rogue sounds

Postby itroitnyah » 17 Mar 2013 13:33

Saw or square waves, somewhere in the 5th octave or possibly up in the 6th with a pitch automation going down really quick about one, maybe two octaves, then going back up to the original pitch a bit slower. That's my best guess atm.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby froggy » 17 Mar 2013 14:55

Zipper synth is easy enough in Massive. Start with a single sawtooth oscillator and apply an envelope to the pitch with mod depth at +24 semitones (not the same envelope as amplitude). Adjust the envelope's attack so you can hear it zip upwards, set the decay level to half way up, and set the decay time to a little less than half (picture).

The sound in the song you linked sounds like it has some unison, so head over to the voicing tab and bring up the unisono setting to 4. Then enable pitch spread and play a note repeatedly as you bring the pitch slider up. Stop moving the slider when it sounds similar to what you're looking for. Enable pan spread as well and move the pan slider to just slightly right of center, to give the sound some stereo spread.

Now you can add some extra movement to the sound by adding a filter. Set filter 1 to bandpass and put the cutoff about 1/4th up the knob. Then apply the same envelope that modulates the pitch to modulate filter cutoff to about 3/4ths up the knob. Adjust the cutoff position, bandwidth, and resonance to taste, but I recommend lowering them from their default values rather than raising.

Finally, you can add some needed meat to the sound by enabling a few effects. Move over to insert 1 and set it to parabolic shaper effect, then bring the drive up and adjust the wet/dry to taste. This should enhance the effect that the filter sweep has on the sound. Then move over the effects section and set FX1 to C-tube, and set FX2 to chorus ensemble. Bring down the wet/dry on chorus ensemble so it doesn't swamp the original sound.

To get the more complex pitch bending effects like at 1:04, switch out the pitch and filter envelope for a macro control knob and then automate that in your DAW. It also sounds like he's cut the mids on those sounds, and there's a bit more chorus mixed in.

And that's pretty much it. Here's what the final patch looked like for me, and here's an audio example
ponies are homo
froggy

Postby Perpetual » 17 Mar 2013 21:26

froggy wrote:Zipper synth is easy enough in Massive. Start with a single sawtooth oscillator and apply an envelope to the pitch with mod depth at +24 semitones (not the same envelope as amplitude). Adjust the envelope's attack so you can hear it zip upwards, set the decay level to half way up, and set the decay time to a little less than half (picture).

The sound in the song you linked sounds like it has some unison, so head over to the voicing tab and bring up the unisono setting to 4. Then enable pitch spread and play a note repeatedly as you bring the pitch slider up. Stop moving the slider when it sounds similar to what you're looking for. Enable pan spread as well and move the pan slider to just slightly right of center, to give the sound some stereo spread.

Now you can add some extra movement to the sound by adding a filter. Set filter 1 to bandpass and put the cutoff about 1/4th up the knob. Then apply the same envelope that modulates the pitch to modulate filter cutoff to about 3/4ths up the knob. Adjust the cutoff position, bandwidth, and resonance to taste, but I recommend lowering them from their default values rather than raising.

Finally, you can add some needed meat to the sound by enabling a few effects. Move over to insert 1 and set it to parabolic shaper effect, then bring the drive up and adjust the wet/dry to taste. This should enhance the effect that the filter sweep has on the sound. Then move over the effects section and set FX1 to C-tube, and set FX2 to chorus ensemble. Bring down the wet/dry on chorus ensemble so it doesn't swamp the original sound.

To get the more complex pitch bending effects like at 1:04, switch out the pitch and filter envelope for a macro control knob and then automate that in your DAW. It also sounds like he's cut the mids on those sounds, and there's a bit more chorus mixed in.

And that's pretty much it. Here's what the final patch looked like for me, and here's an audio example

Thanks, mate. That is spot on.
Perpetual

Return to Technique