Eurobeat Tutorial (Windows-User Friendly!)

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Eurobeat Tutorial (Windows-User Friendly!)

Postby EquinoxEurobeat » 10 Mar 2013 16:16

Alright, so I know that Eurobeat is a hard genre to begin making, mostly because it requires such specific sounds. A lot of people in the MLR community would like to make Eurobeat, but don't know where to start. I found myself in the same situation about a year ago, so I totally understand how frustrating it is.
So, the most difficult part of making Eurobeat is coming up with a good lead synth brass/sawtooth. Odyssey uses Logic's ES2 plugin for his synth brass. Stormwolf uses Massive for his (he has a very good tutorial here, btw), and I use a Roland JD-990. Now, your synth brass doesn't have to sound like someone else's. It's a good thing to sound different. ELEMENTAS has a different brass than DJ Command, and Sugano has a different brass than Dave Rodgers.

tl;dr, experiment with your sounds, make them stand out (This is something I'm still working on.)

But Equinox, how do I get a Eurobeat synth brass sound anyway?

There are a number of ways to get a good Eurobeat sounds. If you're on a Mac, Odyssey has a tutorial up on how to get a basic sound in GarageBand. If you have money, you can blow it on a Roland JD-800 or JD-990. If you're not able to do either of these things, don't fret. Synth1 is an absolutely amazing synth for Eurobeat. I wish I had known this a year ago. I found a tutorial by Sugano on how to get a good Eurobeat sound. http://ameblo.jp/i-love-eurobeat/entry-11303066761.html

You can copy this picture http://ameblo.jp/i-love-eurobeat/image-11303066761-12080022570.html to get the sound.

If my ear is not mistaken, I believe this is the sound Sugano still uses in many of his productions. (If you haven't listened to anything by Sugano yet, go do that now, he's awesome.) You can modify this sound in many different ways, such as giving it that famous 'percussive-attack' sound.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Arranging the Song

Now that you have your synth-brass sound, let's get to writing! The most important part of Eurobeat is the Sabi. The Sabi is the (typically) 8 measure synth hook that comes after the vocal chorus. The typical structure of a Eurobeat song is

Intro>Sabi>Verse>Pre-Chorus>Chorus>Sabi>verse>Pre-Chorus>Chorus>Sabi>

and repeat as necessary.

I can't really tell you what to write though. Here's some examples of what the synth sounds like:

http://suganomusic.com/blog/mp3/sm_10_1.mp3

It doesn't sound like Odyssey's, but it works fantastically for Eurobeat. I'm sure with some tweaking you guys could probably make the sound 2X as good.

(Sorry for the quality of the writing and sound demo I had like 10 minutes to do this)

Be sure to check out Stormwolf's guide for an alternate sound.
Last edited by EquinoxEurobeat on 17 Jun 2013 14:54, edited 1 time in total.
EquinoxEurobeat

Re: Eurobeat Tutorial (Windows-User Friendly!)

Postby tadakatsu » 11 Mar 2013 21:54

Do you make Eurobeat?
tadakatsu

Re: Eurobeat Tutorial (Windows-User Friendly!)

Postby Nine Volt » 12 Mar 2013 02:12

The guy's name is 'EquinoxEurobeat' so it's a pretty safe to assume that he makes eurobeat.
Nine Volt

Return to Technique